Thread: Beasts of War DLC Review

DarrenTotalWar's Avatar Video/Podcast Creator
    Citizen

Default Beasts of War DLC Review

Hello there everyone, I had a few requests for this, so here it is: I show you what you get in the Beasts of War unit pack for Rome II and tell you if it's worth purchasing. I also discuss some of the controversy surrounding the DLC. I've tried to be as fair as possible! Let me know what you think below
    warning* I use some inappropriate language that was a mistake/slip up on my part.

Last edited by DarrenTotalWar; March 13, 2014 at 08:48 AM.

Check out my latest video: Unit Expansion Mods

bollard's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Beasts of War DLC Review

Darren- Many thanks for this review. Confirmed that I made the right decision not to buy the dlc.

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Once again, great video. Even with the poorest of material to work with. ........God damn! This game is never done. What will it be for the next title? 3/10nths on release date and the rest in patches?

So basically you pay for one "new" (was in Rome original, and in the pre-release for Rome II) unit and a bunch of lazy reskins of questionable battlefield utility.

Even EA, the worst company when it comes to slicing games up to make cheap DLC, usually makes sure the DLC has some decent content. CA was clearly relying on marketing hype to sell this slap in the face.

I mean, they've already alienated much of the community and they seem determined to do the same to the poor souls who have stuck with them.
    Last edited by War lord; March 08, 2014 at 03:48 AM.

Citizen

Thanks guys kind words (for me) and not so kind for CA!

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenTotalWar View Post
    Thanks guys kind words (for me) and not so kind for CA!
    I kind of liked your "mouths to feed" analysis towards the end. I bet you tried to save that for last . Should we be more sympathetic or understanding? Should we be happy with scraps? Has CA become a chocked public service? Then, CHOP-CHOP!!!

Good review. Leaves me with a similar feeling after watching Sane Critique, that is, the whole thing is one massively rushed, short handed mess. I am no longer angry with CA. I am just sad that this is what they have become. I have serious doubts as to the quality of their future work. If their next release is not a massive improvement in all sections, I fear this dlc is a sign of the new standard they have set for themselves probably at the direction of Sega.
    Last night, the complaints of the fans kept me awake and I had a terrible vision. I saw, the end of our franchise, countless bugs and bad reviews! Total War, GONE. Why would CA release such an unfinished game? They put effort into their work. They have released successful Total War titles aplenty! Their products are shipped to all corners of the world...and yet now I fear, I cannot help it. Total War is the envy of lesser gamers but CA, tell terrible lies to their fanbase, Rome II was bugged and unfinished SO THEY LIE. But Sega, they are the masters of falsehood. DLC will come, I am sure of it, so I will buy no more Total War games, and I think the forums, will be empty tonight.

2-D Ron's Avatar Campidoctor

Because, as Angry Joe put it... "GIVE ME MONEY!!!"

The more CA talk, the more they run to lawyers/PR guys to make excuses for them, the more I'm put off thinking that I might re-purchase this game in a couple of years time when all the content is released on a last ditch Gold Edition to flog copies; like they did with Shogun 2's Gold edition that had the Rise/Fall of the Samurai Expansions and all the DLC (except the blood pack).

But yeah, too tired to get angry about it now, better games out there.
    If the next game is pretty much more of the same then I think I'll never buy another CA title again. If Europa Universalis IV had the battles of Total War, it's game over for CA.
    Last edited by 2-D Ron; March 12, 2014 at 12:03 PM.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Sadly, to me it looks more and more like CA has just completelly given up on Rome 2 and is already focusing on the next big title.

I fear the following dlcs/expansions will be either fillers or at least not that good.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Interesting video, you have a very calm and ordered way of putting out information which makes listening to you a good experience up there with the best of youtube channels. Good work Darren.

Citizen

Why thank you that's very nice of you

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Great review. A pity the DLC is not as good as it is.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Nice!