Thread: Ukraine and Crimea development thread

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Default Re: Ukraine and Crimea development thread

I really literally couldn't post here. It's too hard to read the news - I do it every hour, non-stop.
    Just decided to look here. If you guys have anything to ask - do so

Geronimo2006's Avatar TAR Local Moderator

Anything eventful in your area Beregond?
    Colonialism 1600AD - 2016 Modding Awards for "Compilations and Overhauls".

Core i7 2600 @ 3.4ghz - NVIDIA GTX950 2GB

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Well, I'm in Kharkov. It's relatively quiet here atm. Though every weekend smth crazy happens. There are rumours of a large separatist demonstration with - again - attempts to capture administrative buildings planned for Sunday. Yeah, on Easter

I used to participate in Maydan demonstrations in the city, but now it's too dangerous. Sadly, I'm not a fighter, I admit, and now only fit people with protection and self-defence devices could feel relatively safe. And you should move in large groups and do not split away from the rest of Maydan supporters. There were cases of people severely beaten by pro-Russian activists (that are often driven in groups from Russia or from countryside. Many of them are in for money. Many are just local bandits. Or drunk).
    My girlfriend's good friend was beaten a week ago.
    WARNING! EXPLICIT CONTENT
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Crazed people accused him of being 'Banderovets', Right Sector supporter etc.. He in fact is Cand. Sc. in Physics and Mathematics, with publication in Cambridge. Who just went to a peaceful demonstration... Other cases involve medical worker, a woman, kicking already beaten, lying in blood Maydan activists in the head...This is crazy. All this, honestly, looks like a conflict between intelligent, educated people and a mass of dumb rabble. I do not say that all pro-russians here are like that. It's only that the most and the only violence, unneeded and brutal, is seen from their side. In the days of large demonstrations you could be beaten just for wearing ukrainian colours! In your own country!

The irony here...I'm an ethnic Russian, but I don't want to be called so! I feel myself a Ukrainian, though I never was overly patriotic...This conflict will unite Ukraine, if we could get out of it. We should thank little kremlin midget for that

Question 2: if the Russian army enters Kharkov/Kharkiv do you expect any resistance?

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

yeah.

It's crazy how in modern XXI century Europe you fear the real war every day. Make plans of where to run, what to take with you from your belongings. What to leave.

I hope none of you would ever feel the same

And thx our 'brothers' and 'saviours' for that

To the second question:
    yeah, I believe there will be resistance. I don't know how furious it would be, but there would be blood for sure. There are many possible collaborationists here, indeed. Many have relatives in Russia (me too, heh), but there are many patriots and simply people who do not want Russians meddling in our life. Much depends on how our government would react ( and there are real questions regarding their current Modus Operandi...). But this is not Crimea. There was never any Russian soldiers and russian military bases. They would be greeted accordingly
    Last edited by Beregond; April 17, 2014 at 06:48 AM.

Praefectus

Might be a good time to stash supplies like water, lighters, candles, antiseptic, some tinned food. A friend of mine who was in the Bosnian wars said that they fought pitched battles over one particular house just because it had a well with a hand water pump.
    My bookshelf is a hate blog.

Last edited by invicta; April 17, 2014 at 07:47 AM.
    Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

And it's true.That's the respect that the US have for they puppets...partners,I mean.
    And by the way,people seems to forget the Russian espionage case. You know ,when the Russian secret services spy theirs allies...enemies...allies,or whatever we are. Wait! Those Russians are Americans.
    Last edited by pajomife; April 17, 2014 at 08:30 AM.

StarDreamer's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by invicta View Post
    Yeah yeah, we know. Was all over the news when it happened. Why should we care about one US politicians opinion? Far worse things come out of the mouths of Russian politicians.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -Albert Einstein
    https://www.politicalcompass.org/ana...2.38&soc=-3.44 <-- "Dangerous far right bigot!" -SJWs

NVM
    Last edited by Plan C; April 17, 2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: replying to wrong post

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by StarDreamer View Post
    Yeah yeah, we know. Was all over the news when it happened. Why should we care about one US politicians opinion? Far worse things come out of the mouths of Russian politicians.
    I actually listened, the point was to try to get the problem resolved via UN and F the EU, it seems that the Yankees are still not accustomed with an emerging united Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Plan C View Post
    NVM
    Plan C, we are still waiting for your response to your previous bogus claims getting debunked:

Quote Originally Posted by Astaroth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan C View Post
    Georgij Alafuzoff, Director of EU Intelligence Directorate, in an interview with Finnish "Yle" apparently reckons there is no Russian military presence in Eastern Ukraine at all:

http://www.focus.de/politik/angeblic...d_5705662.html

It's in German, but I suppose it's better than Finnish
    Hahaha this really takes the crown. Do you realise what you linked to? It is a "Leser-Kommentar", i.e. a comment made by a random guy on the internet (not even a journalist or anything).

I googled that claim to find any sort of reliable source to back it up, and the only thing I could find was, surprise surprise, Russia Today, Voice of Russia and their ilk!

The complete rejection of any sort of media coverage by thousands of independent, privately owned channels and newspapers from Alaska to eastern Europe in favour of entirely unsourced online reader-comments and state-owned Russian propaganda channels is nothing short of mind-boggling.

Also, have you heard? Apparently Russian troops were actively moving around in Crimea even before the referendum as Putin himself now admitted, contrary to his previous lies. Any thoughts on that?

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by invicta View Post
    If I was concerned about every little thing a politician said I would be more concerned about this Russian politician, who calls for using nuclear warheads against basically everyone. He is truly a fearful man and it is astonishing that he keeps getting elected http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Zhirinovsky

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A3G0KC20140417
    Putin admits to Crimea annexation a result of NATO enlargement. Looks to me, the "referendum" was the perfect excuse he needed to take it away to destabilize Ukraine eve further., because if you're not with Russia, you're against them.
    Last edited by Derpy Hooves; April 17, 2014 at 09:20 AM.

Also, have you heard? Apparently Russian troops were actively moving around in Crimea even before the referendum as Putin himself now admitted, contrary to his previous lies. Any thoughts on that?
    Never really doubted it. Just highly skeptical of the picture you guys paint. I suppose there must be some 30,000 Sptesnaz units posing as protestors right?

Russia os acting in it's own self interest. At least this time Putin is relatively subtle as opposed to outright invading Crimea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Never really doubted it. Just highly skeptical of the picture you guys paint. I suppose there must be some 30,000 Sptesnaz units posing as protestors right?

Russia os acting in it's own self interest. At least this time Putin is relatively subtle as opposed to outright invading Crimea.
    Nobody ever claimed that every separatist was Putin's agent. However, the core of the planning, taking over buildings and occupying them and especially acting in a coordinated manner with heavy weapons, masks and uniforms was clearly mostly organised by Russia.

Also, any source for 30,000 "protesters" in eastern Ukraine?

Note that Putin already uses the 18th century term "New Russia" for these regions btw.

Nobody ever claimed that every separatist was Putin's agent. However, the core of the planning, taking over buildings and occupying them and especially acting in a coordinated manner with heavy weapons, masks and uniforms was clearly mostly organised by Russia.

Also, any source for 30,000 "protesters" in eastern Ukraine?
    I have no idea how many protestors there are. 30,000 is simply a random number I associate with Cold War era GRU.

Moreover, I have my doubts about thw amount of "planning". That goes on. Plan C is right in one regrard. You simply don't have the sources to confirm whether Putin's machination are indeed the insidious agent responsible for the ruin in Eastern Ukraine, as opposed to a facilitator of separatism. You can be outraged all youwant, but theres no need to be outraged over thin air. Not everything that's happening in Eastern Ukraine is because of Putin. Nor have any of you ever proved that the majority of the militancy is due to Putin.

Note that Putin already uses the 18th century term "New Russia" for these regions btw.
    Nothing to see here. Is it worrying? Yes. Is it just ralk? Yes. I have yet to see the rest if the free world walk the talk yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Nor have any of you ever proved that the majority of the militancy is due to Putin.
    It is completely mind-boggling why anyone would believe that this is what needs to be proven. According to you, there is no evidence that Putin is responsible for everything, so it doesn't matter that he clearly is heavily involved in what is going on.

Fact is, Putin is using special forces agents to create heavy unrest in eastern Ukraine. The ironic thing is, the amount of support he gets from the local population is fairly minor despite all of his efforts, with often only a few hundred or even dozen people "protesting", i.e. storming police buildings and hitting unarmed police officers until they have to be taken to an ambulance as can be seen in the recent Vice video.

There is literally zero evidence for any wide-scale peaceful protests (unlike in Kyiv prior to the escalation) with strong popular support in eastern Ukraine until out of a sudden, small groups of heavily armed masked men supported by a few dozen or hundred locals at most stormed various administrative buildings in a matter of a few days.

If you really think that this is a peaceful protest in eastern Ukraine with strong popular support, provide some evidence.
    Last edited by Astaroth; April 17, 2014 at 10:04 AM.

Last edited by Geronimo2006; April 17, 2014 at 10:26 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog

Pro-Ukraine demo in Donetsk streaming here.

CNN has video of Russian agent being caught with a map of admin/military sites and a homemade bomb.
    Last edited by Geronimo2006; April 17, 2014 at 10:36 AM.

Colonialism 1600 AD blog