Thread: Guaranteed Major Faction Empires

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Default Guaranteed Major Faction Empires

STEAM WORKSHOP

Compatible with 100% of other mods!
    Requires a new campaign start!

DESCRIPTION
    Does it annoy you that in your campaigns you never get to face the legions of Rome, having arrived at Italy only to find they've been destroyed by a minor faction early on...
    Do you get upset that you never get to face the forces of Carthage, seeing that they've been destroyed by an African tribe a few turns in...
    Do you want to play a campaign where you know you'll one day have to face the mighty hordes of the Suebi, that you'll always have to face a mighty Roman Empire and that you'll have to one day deal with Eygptian armies.

If you want to play a campaign where major factions remain alive, and aren't endlessly destroyed by the small minor nations that always seem to wipe them out early on, then this is the mod for you.

But Wait!, I hear you say, there are a million mods that try to make Rome strong with cash injections, stat boosts and countless mods that try to keep Carthage alive by weakening the African tribes.
    How many mods can guarantee you will be able to face the major AI's you've always wanted to fight and see grow though? Just this one.
    All other attempts either don't work, only work a short while or are unbalanced. Simply giving Rome a million gold for example doesn't work, and will only serve to screw up things like diplomacy and create issues with stack spam etc. and giving Roman troops insane stats unbalanced the whole campaign.

So what does this mod do?
    Quite simply, it makes it impossible for a Major AI faction to be destroyed by a Minor AI faction, AI Rome can still be destroyed by AI Carthage however, as can all other Major AI factions be destroyed by other Major AI factions. Players actions are obviously totally uneffected, this only applies to the AI.

How it works?
    Done via scripting this mod provides an autoresolve bonus (all AI battles are decided via autoresolve in a campaign FYI) to all Major AI factions if they are facing a minor AI faction. This means you'll achieve two things, a Major AI technically cannot be destroyed by a Minor AI (unless certain conditions), and the Major AI factions will likely expand and grow larger more easily.

There are a number of checks in place however to make sure this system doesn't become both visible to the player and too intrusive so as to spoil a campaigns flow or make it too predictable.
    -If the player can see the battle on the campaign map, that is to say the two armies are within visiual range of the player, this system will not take effect and the battle will play out normally.
    -If there are two opposing Major AI factions in a battle, the system will not take effect.
    -If the player is involved in the battle, and autoresolves, the system will not take effect.
    -If one of the factions involved in the battle is the players ally, the system will not take effect.

This may be too intrusive as is for some players, however the whole point of the system is that essentially anything can be happening in the Fog Of War anyway, so why not make sure the major factions survive in the meantime?

Customization Options
    Settings
    Optional - If you create a settings.txt file in your "Total War Rome II\data\campaigns\main_rome" folder you can specify certain customization options to the script. Simply place any of the following commands on a new line in the file to activate the setting:

DefensiveBattlesOnly - This will make it so that the script only works for major factions in defensive battles, not when they are offensive. This will if in effect help to limit the major factions growth, but will still keep them alive.

NoVisualRestriction
    - Enabling this option will remove the script feature that prevents the script working for any battle within the visual range of the player. If this option is in effect the script will work for all battles (excluding offensive battles if the above option is also supplied).

Custom Factions
    Optional - If you create a factions.txt file in your "Total War Rome II\data\campaigns\main_rome" folder you can specify to the script the list of factions that will be considered "Major". Simply create the text file and input the following list into it, removing or adding the ID's of any factions you like, these are the ones currently used by default if no factions.txt file is found (all playable factions), you will need some modding knowledge to get the correct ID's for other factions:

rom_rome
    rom_carthage
    rom_roxolani
    rom_massagetae
    rom_scythia
    rom_ptolemaics
    rom_macedon
    rom_baktria
    rom_seleucid
    rom_athens
    rom_sparta
    rom_epirus
    rom_galatia
    rom_nervii
    rom_boii
    rom_arverni
    rom_parthia
    rom_pontus
    rom_iceni
    rom_suebi

Error Logging
    If you suspect something may not be working, you can check the log.txt file created by the script in the "Total War Rome II\data\campaigns\main_rome" folder.

Feedback highly appreciated, thanks.
    ~Mitch
    Last edited by .Mitch.; April 14, 2014 at 11:56 PM.

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Guaranteed Major Faction Empires

Awesome work and hopefully give chance for AI Rome to become bigger faction.

Looks awesome! I'm really interested in seeing how a campaign plays out with this mod active. I'd also be interested as you said in it only affecting defensive battles for the AI. I sub'd on the steamworkshop

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

You're a god.

Now these must be included in DEI!

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

Great idea and I will try it in MP anyway, but does the mod work in MP VS Campaigns as both player usually see different parts of the map and have different allies ?

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Litharion View Post
    Great idea and I will try it in MP anyway, but does the mod work in MP VS Campaigns as both player usually see different parts of the map and have different allies ?
    The script has MP in mind, for instance it checks if a faction is a players ally, not just the players ally if you see what I'm trying to say. So yes, should work in MP providing you both have the mod of course.

Hi mitch great idea for a mod as usual;P

but could we have a list of factions that cant be destroyed?

Thanks!

Litharion's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    The script has MP in mind, for instance it checks if a faction is a players ally, not just the players ally if you see what I'm trying to say. So yes, should work in MP providing you both have the mod of course.
    Thanks for the answer I´m not into scripting at all, but I understand that the script checks both MP Campaign players and is not limited to the host for example .

Really cool idea and execution

To the question of Divide et Impera compatibility, I don't think it will be compatible with our 0.8 release unfortunately (our Reforms will use the scripting.lua file).
    Last edited by Dresden; March 02, 2014 at 07:12 PM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

The Useless Member's Avatar Primicerius

Cool. How much is the auto-resolve bonus exactly?
    Last edited by The Useless Member; March 03, 2014 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post

To the question of Divide et Impera compatibility, I don't think it will be compatible with our 0.8 release unfortunately (our Reforms will use the scripting.lua file).
    Any chance that you DeI guys INCLUDE it at your script, so? Please? It seems a damn good solution!

If Mitch would be willing to allow us to use his work, then we may include it yes. Otherwise, no we don't use other modder's works without permission.

Mitch is this mod compatible with better campaign camera mod? Both edit the same file.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Please make it compatible

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

This is small piece of larger project that is to come from me and so I'm not prepared to simply abandon this and give it to the larger mods right now, when DEI 0.8 is released I'll definitely make a submod or make it compatible though. And to be honest complete implimentation of this into DEI is never going to happen, I'm sure there are some people who play DEI who wouldn't like this solution right? Hence its always going to have to be optional imo, hence submod.

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

This is small piece of larger project that is to come from me and so I'm not prepared to simply abandon this and give it to the larger mods right now, when DEI 0.8 is released I'll definitely make a submod or make it compatible though. And to be honest complete implimentation of this into DEI is never going to happen, I'm sure there are some people who play DEI who wouldn't like this solution right? Hence its always going to have to be optional imo, hence submod.
    W-what kind of larger project?

Crappy's Avatar Civis

That sounds like a very fair compromise! I look forward to seeing it when DeI releases their next update!

A sub-mod would be a most welcome and reasonable solution. You are indeed right, I am sure there are those who would want the option one way or the other.

I am excited to hear about your larger project!

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Just did a major update for the mod. Customization options, custom factions and guaranteed compatibility for all mods.
    See description in OP for more details.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast