Page 55 of 123 FirstFirst ... 53045464748495051525354555657585960616263646580105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2449

Thread: Name That Historical Event

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Name That Historical Event

Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Visna's Avatar Comrade Natascha
    Moderator Emeritus

Some Crusader being executed? Reynald de Chatilon? (or however you spell it)

Under the stern but loving patronage of Nihil.

Yes it is Reynald de Chatilon being executed by Saladin for (officially) drinking water which was only offered to King Guy. The unofficial reason he was killed was because he single-handedly broke the truce between Muslims and Christians and was just an all round douche. I assume the man being led away in terror in the background is King Guy himself

Your turn! Please rep somebody!

Repped.
    “No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
    "No nationality or race is preferred over another in any way in the Eyes of the Almighty" - Mufti Ismail Menk
    “What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality.” ― Alex Sanchez
    “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

Moderator Emeritus

Is it King Cnut trying to hold back the tide?

Moderator Emeritus

That it is.

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Seems like it is the Night of the Long Knives.

"They salute with both hands now."
    “No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” ― Elie Wiesel
    "No nationality or race is preferred over another in any way in the Eyes of the Almighty" - Mufti Ismail Menk
    “What's unnatural is homophobia. Homo sapiens is the only species in all of nature that responds with hate to homosexuality.” ― Alex Sanchez
    “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt
    “Nationalism is an infantile thing. It is the measles of mankind.” ― Albert Einstein

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

Anschluss? With particular reference to the coup d'etat by the Austrian Nazi Party to head off the impending referendum expected to confirm Austria's will to stay independent of Germany?

edit: nvm, EmperorBatman has it - I should've checked his answer before posting.
    Last edited by Spear Dog; May 03, 2015 at 02:30 AM.

Haha yep it is indeed the Night of Long Knives in 1934, where Hitler quickly decapitated the SA in one fell swoop, giving a hell of a lot more power to Himmler and the SS. The cartoon's caption was "They Salute With Both Hands Now" as Napoleon said. You're up Batman!

Quote Originally Posted by Aymer de Valence View Post
    Haha yep it is indeed the Night of Long Knives in 1934, where Hitler quickly decapitated the SA in one fell swoop, giving a hell of a lot more power to Himmler and the SS. The cartoon's caption was "They Salute With Both Hands Now" as Napoleon said. You're up Batman!
    I figured the "saluting guys" looked like SA and I guessed that the "dead legs" were Rohm and friends assassinated by the SS. Anyways it was an interesting and surprisingly world-changing event in history.

This'll probably be an easy one.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by EmperorBatman999; May 03, 2015 at 11:22 AM.

Abdülmecid I's Avatar ¡Ay Carmela!
    Moderation Overseer Civitate Moderation Mentor

The assassination of Garfield, the president, not the cat. For mysterious reasons, his death is much less known than those of Lincoln or Kennedy.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hibernian View Post
    The assassination of Garfield, the president, not the cat. For mysterious reasons, his death is much less known than those of Lincoln or Kennedy.
    Boy, that was fast.

I think it's because generally people know less about President Garfield than they do Lincoln or Kenedy. He didn't really do much that is remembered either today.

Just read up on the assassin, Charles J. Guiteau. Definitely a loony.

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorBatman999 View Post
    I think it's because generally people know less about President Garfield than they do Lincoln or Kenedy. He didn't really do much that is remembered either today.
    Yeah, you're right. Basically, the only thing I know about his presidency is that ge got assassinated.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Proboably too easy, but I didn't have the time to think of something cleverer. I do love the painting, though.

Is it the execution of the Duc d'Enghien in the very early 1800s on the orders of Napoleon? I think he had been conspiring with foreign powers? I'm basing my assumption here from watching the 2002 Napoleon miniseries lol

Very close. Both the executioners and the executioned are French, but D'Enghien was already dead, when that execution took place.

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Patrician Citizen

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

It is the execution of Ney by order of the post-napoleonic government on Dec 7, 1815.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

Under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Neadal/Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.