Thread: Name That Historical Event

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Name That Historical Event

I was looking for Occupation of Grozny but that works too.

Can't give rep at the moment.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; July 12, 2019 at 09:38 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Siege, occupation, battle. Tomato potato

Np mate.

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Battle of Sekigahara.

Blog Entries

Yup.

To be honest, the battle of Sekigahara is the only battle I remember from the Sengoku Jidai, so it was sort of a superficial answer.

Next:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	-.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	164.7 KB 
ID:	358879

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

Kinda unsure on the exact location but, reporters giving a newscast before a big storm(typhoon) comes in. The one that is visible looks Asian so I'm gonna guess Korea/China. Can't find much when searching weathermen of Korea so not sure what you are looking for.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

The name of the typhoon and the year.

Blog Entries

Etau?

Not Etau.

Citizen

I'm gonna assume that you didn't just pick some random storm and went with one that has historical significance. So I'm gonna guess Typhoon Haiyan. The most powerful on record.

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    I'm gonna assume that you didn't just pick some random storm...
    Maybe I just did, would you like me to post a different event, or another image of the same event?

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    ...I'm gonna guess Typhoon Haiyan.
    No.

Should I give it away?

Citizen

If it is indeed some random storm that few if any of us have heard about, or would be able to find by looking through pictures of people reporting major Japanese/Korean typhoons than I think so.

It is typhoon Soulik of 2018, about to hit South Korea.

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Fun facts: There are according to google on average 26 typhoons worldwide per year. 2018 was above average, so you find Soulik as number 23 out of 37 on this Wikipedia article:
    When it started there were 5 other storms ongoing, and when it ended, there were 3 different ones ongoing. It didn't make the list of the 7 super typhoons that year.
    Oh and those typhoons happen so often they kinda run out of names. Wikipedia lists 4 typhoons of that same name. The 2018 one is the one least talked about because it was only a category 3 out of 5, and it doesn't even feature on this list of typhoons in South Korea at all.

What I'm getting at: Image reverse search was the way to go I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    It is typhoon Soulik of 2018, about to hit South Korea.
    Hmm... typhoon, eh? Just looks like normal winter weather at the beach where I grew up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Anyway, if it was too obscure and unimportant for you I can post another, or give up this turn to anyone who wants it.

Citizen

Hey paleo,
    I didn't want to break your balls there. I just felt I had to say something because it's representative of what's become of most of these threads.

I quite frankly don't get the point of them anymore.

First of all "third strongest Tsunami of August 2018" and "second strongest Tsunami named Soulik" don't count as historical events in my books.

But more importantly: "Guessing" has become a completely pointless exercise. Maybe that's just my opinion, but all of these threads have basically fallen asleep.

You can't solve them through any other means than either a) recognising the image/event or b) reverse image searching. Both require nil braincells. So what's the point?!

That's not a riddle then. And then I noticed that many here don't even try to solve one if they get one and have to be creative.
    First time I did this one. I thought I was being funny, but I also discretely had hints in all of them. So people didn't have to know the event, but could have identified them through detective work based on some details. But I distorted those images enough that one couldn't reverse image search them just like that. Someone finally did that, but it took a month and lots of hints.

Later on I performed literal Turing tests on these threads here. And people failed!

Once I posted an image that is used by bible nuts a lot and gets misattributed even by google, even though the really depicted battle is far more famous and impressive than the bible one. If you cheated, you'd immediately get the wrong one. And whaddaya know? Someone immediately fell for it. Oda deserves honourable mention because he identified it correctly.

The other time I did a really easy one. With several correct answers that one could guess from the image itself. The only issue being that one would not be able to reverse image search it. But people could have said almost anything remotely correct and I'd have accepted it. Just looking at the image, formulating what you see as an event ("The first ..."; "Invention of ..."; etc.) and bingo!

The fact that no one guessed it is kinda telling. It means that no one even tried. Because no one expects that in this thread anymore.

Of course I'm a bit generalising here. Some people aren't like this and post stuff that is solvable - like having a flag one can identify. But enough people have stopped trying.

Maybe that's just my opinion and I might have had wrong expectations, but I quit this competition because of this and I think this is also why most of those threads here are falling asleep.

There's no guessing your typhoon since this image could have been taken from any one of ~500 tropical storms in the last couple of years. Let's be generous and say only 1000 images per storm were taken and people would get lucky half way. That means 250000 images one would have to sift through to find the correct answer. So basically unguessable.

Either a) you recognise the image or b) you cheat with reverse image search. How is that guessing? Which leads me back to: What's the point of these threads?!

From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie

Blog Entries

I don't like it you're accusing me of using image search in these threads.

I will no longer be participating.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    I don't like it you're accusing me of using image search in these threads.

I will no longer be participating.
    I didn't even mention you and if you think that post was about accusing anyone you're mistaken. You don't have to quit because of me. Your and everyone elses view on what you like as guessing games is just as valid as mine. I just pointed out why it doesn't work for me anymore and don't worry, I'll be silent from now on.