Thread: Name That Historical Event

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Name That Historical Event

I've got a rep from the subtle Turk, so I suppose I got it right

here's the next one

that was a very dramatic event
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

Early 20th century
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

South Italy...

Grymloq's Avatar Domesticus

Messina Earthquake of 1908?

Blog Entries

yes, around 120.000 people died between Messina and Reggio Calabria, as of today is the most serious natural disaster in Europe in living memory

over to you

Here's the next one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ship.png  

Blog Entries

It took me a while to get this, it helped me that you are from Venice

at first I looked for pictures of expeditions in the north pole, after a while I shifted to check for events related to frosts and Venice fleet.. which led me to find out about the Frost of 1929, when the Laguna was almost completely frozen

Yep , The Venice Lagoon freezing in 1929, your turn

As usual I cant rep you unfortunately

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grymloq View Post
    As usual I cant rep you unfortunately
    No problem, you're gonna buy me a Panettone and a bottle of Prosecco for Christmas and we'll be ok

next one

Blog Entries

Hint: soldiers are happy, people is welcoming them

this specific picture represents a moment of a wider event that took place on a large scale; of course I want to know what that even was

Blog Entries

Hint: WWII wasn't started yet

ps I'll be off from few days until the 29th, so if no one gets it right within few hours this might remain pending for some days. Sorry about that!

The Germans are coming to liberate/annex Sudetendeutsche?

Blog Entries

yes

looking at the faces of the soldiers, so happy and so normal, makes me think

over to you

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    looking at the faces of the soldiers, so happy and so normal, makes me think
    Indeed. Those people in that time must have had a very different perception of matters than we do, now that we are familiar with the crimes and tragedies that were yet to unfold. I only now see the swastika on one guy's arm, and I did not recognize the soldiers' nationality by their uniform. I have no idea how I came to think of Sudetendeutsche, and this must be one of the luckiest guesses (or intuitions) of mine until now.

On to nicer things. What is this a depiction of?

Would this be the Paris Exposition of 1889? Specifically this print depicts "Une Fête de Nuit a L'Exposition Coloniale de L'Esplanade des Invalide - Le Defile du Cortege".

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence

That is correct. On to you!

Thank you! What distinctly less than pleasant yet eerily relevant affray is this?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence

It's the riot of 6 February 1934, between the police and French fascists/royalists.

Correct! Spurred by economic depression and an increasingly unstable Republic plagued by one scandal after another, things came to a head on the night of February 6th, 1934 as a loose coalition of monarchists, WWI veteran groups, right-wing leagues and weirdly even a sprinkling of communists converged on the Place de la Concorde to protest the recent dismissal of the popular Police Prefect Jean Chiappe seen as an ally of the Right. Attempting to cross the Seine to storm the Bourbon Palace (wherein the Parlement was wont to assemble), they were opposed by the police at the Pont de la Concorde. In the ensuing fracas, 16 people were killed and over 2000 injured. The immediate effect was to convince the parties on the Left to form a coalition to opposed what was perceived to be a rising tide of fascism in France. Hence the Popular Front of 1936. More insidious was the further radicalization of the right which in fact did cause a rising tide of fascism in France. This was to bear bitter fruit in the aftermath of defeat in 1940 in the form of the collaborationist and authoritarian Vichy regime and the ascent to power of its more odious hierophants.
    Last edited by skh1; March 27, 2021 at 05:02 PM.

Indeed, the royalist and authoritarian right had been stronger in France than commonly assumed. Even in 1871, royalist deputies, albeit divided, were still a majority.

Next one is also related to France, although it happened in another country:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: