Thread: Name That Historical Event

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Name That Historical Event

Took the weekend off

Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

The first television. This is John Logie Baird (1888-1946) in the company of "James" and "Stooky Bill" demonstrating the efficacy of his (Mr. Baird's) "televisor" equipment, circa 1926. The heat generated by the incandescent lights used to illuminate the set was so intense that Mr. Baird could not use a human subject for his experiments thus his resort to puppets. All of which rather puts me in mind of this:

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

Oui! Can't rep you yet (exceeded limit ), but should be able to by the time you get the next q up
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Rep has been given to the worthy one
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Thank you !

What occasion to which the world failed to rise is this?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"You know… the thing" - President Joseph R. Biden, Jr., vaguely alluding to the Declaration of Independence

Blog Entries

My pleasure

The Evian Conference
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Correct! The Evian Conference convened at Evian-les-Bains, France, the 6th through the 15th of July, 1938, on the initiative of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Its agenda was the fraught question of the Jewish populations of Germany and lately Austria and their urgent need to be elsewhere. It was the pious hope that the 32 nations thusly forgathered would commit to accept more of these people as refugees which these 32 nations, of course, found eminently sensible and perfectly understandable reasons not to do.* (This is not entirely true. The Dominican Republic proposed to accept 100,000 persons - it didn't, more like 800 - because, hey, at least they weren't Haitians, cf. the Parsley Massacre. ) It was therefore an utterly futile exercise in pusillanimity and bereft of any result except the consequent and justifiably sardonic amusement of the Nazis.

Sadly, when one considers the plight of refugees today; plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

See:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89vian_Conference

And:
    https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/conte...ian-conference

* Exempli gratia, here's a juicy one from the Australian delegate: "… as we have no real racial problem, we are not desirous of importing one." (One suspects the Aborigines would have been and might still today be somewhat bemused by this statement.)
    Last edited by skh1; January 27, 2021 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Added Australian nincompoopery

Blog Entries

many things went wrong before WWII, let's not judge them and look forward to not to do the same mistakes again

This is not a battle

Morticia Iunia Bruti's Avatar Praeses

The drowning of Emperor Barbarossa in the River Saleph?
    Cause tomorrow is a brand-new day
    And tomorrow you'll be on your way
    Don't give a damn about what other people say
    Because tomorrow is a brand-new day

Blog Entries

yessa

as a hint I was going to tell you to notice the river and the old man, but probably you noticed them by yourself

over to you!

Thank you Querido, your rep comment is great.

Blog Entries

the shipwreck of the Costa Concordia

I mean, how could I miss this? I even have pictures somewhere that I took from an airplane (the landing route from north Europe to Rome Fiumicino just crosses over Giglio Island)

Right, its the Costa Concordia. Your turn.

Blog Entries

Ok so, for once I'm not going to post a picture, let's spice this up a little bit

the event I refer to is narrated by a great poem from the greatest Italian poet and writer of the 19th century, and it's titled as a date

Is it Alessandro Manzoni? Two poems of his would qualify, either the Marzo 1821 (the abdication of Victor Emmanuel I at the insistence of the Piedmontese) or the Il Cinque Maggio (on the death of Napoleon). I don't know which one but I'm inclined toward the latter. I ran across him reading David Kertzer's The Pope and Mussolini where he was mentioned as Pope Pius XI's favorite writer, he being particularly fond of I prommesi sposi which he would quote at length at the drop of a mitre.
    Last edited by skh1; January 27, 2021 at 10:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Indeed I was referring to Il Cinque Maggio, and consequently to the death of Napoleon

good guess, over to you

Thank you!

In a similar vein of notable deaths, whose is depicted here as imminent, who did it, and why?

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

This was the assassination of the Empress of Joseon in 1895 by a group of Japanese and Korean agents that attacked the palace. Since Empress Myeongseong had attempted to curb Japanese influence and end modernist reforms. Some influential Japanese officials decided to have her killed with the support of the Korean reformists. This led to the Joseon Dynasty transforming into the Japanese controlled "Korean Empire", and then eventually the annexation of Korea by Japan.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Correct, this is the assassination of Empress Myeongseong (seen infra in a more serene but no less imperious mood) that occurred early on the morning of 8th of October, 1895 at the Gyeongbokgung Palace north of Seoul. Oda Nobunaga's answer is succinct, complete, and (since this is Oda Nobunaga we're talking about, it is redundant to say) correct.

Over to you, Oda Nobunaga.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Glad I'm not rambling for once.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō