Thread: Name That Historical Event

Default Re: Name That Historical Event

Its the flooding of the Arno in 1966.
    To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

yes

that part of Florence is pretty much easy to be recognized
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Apologies for the delay.

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries

As far as I can see there's one Valladolid sing there, which of course is in Spain. Looking at the pic, the truck, weapons, uniforms etc it must be just before or during WWII. Since Spain had no major events during WWII, I'm going for something related to the Civil War then.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Yes, this is sometime during the Spanish Civil War but this image was taken at one particular point in said conflict, which one is it?
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries

Uh well I can't recall anything mayor happening in Valladolid, so maybe it's related to the rebellion of July '36 in Castilla and Aragona?

Correct!

In the picture, Falange troops were heading for the frontline, they would join in Valladolid the column of Colonel Serrador in his march to Madrid.

Can the Dude be repped please, I am unable to do so at the moment due to a lack of interest and praise in anyone else other than the good man who got this event correct.
    - Sun Tzu

Blog Entries

Ah got it! I "had" to study the Civil War since when I graduated one of the two thesis I made was on the armies of the Spanish CW (the other one was on the armies of the Crusades )

next one

Looks like the village of Amatrice, destroyed by the 2016 earthquake in central Italy. I thought of the L'Aquila earthquake at first, but the images didn't match.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Looks like the village of Amatrice, destroyed by the 2016 earthquake in central Italy. I thought of the L'Aquila earthquake at first, but the images didn't match.
    Yes that's Amatrice, both the red building and the bell tower are iconic (the red building did collapse though after one of the many aftershocks). It's just 40 km from here.

Over to you

Minor event, but it did have quite a few implications for those involved:

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I was watching a food documentary on Netflix featuring a famous Italian chef and he talked about how desperate they were to sell off all their cheese before it spoiled following that earthquake.

As for Abdul’s submission I can’t think of anything when seeing a picture of a bunch of celebrating colonial-era brits wearing wigs other than Pirates of the Caribbean
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

They would have probably been appalled at the idea of getting mistaken for Brits. The event is not famous, but it should be much easier to guess correctly, once the family in the center has been identified.

Blog Entries

They must be French then

I can't get much from the image, there seems to be plenty of soldiers and officers, but it's easy to see that they are celebrating.. but what? The people at the center top seem to be armed ..or maybe they are playing instruments

a bit narrow for me still

Well, there aren't many hints left to give. There were celebrations, but the most important element are the enthusiastic salutations. Identifying the recipient is the key.

The event made some women walk, who then made a family move.

Blog Entries

No really, I have no idea sorry

I'm very weak with France history, surprisingly

The last hint I can give is that the family in question is that of Louis XVI. If you combine it with the sentence below, you could find the event that sparked one of the French Revolution's most impactful events.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    The event made some women walk, who then made a family move.
    Alright, as three days have passed, I think it's time to give it up. It was the royal banquet organised by the guards of the Versailles Palace. The royalist participants cheered for Louis XVI and his family, in an event that sparked the Women's March to Versailles. The eventual result was that the royal family was forced to move to the Tuileries Palace inside Paris, under the more vigilant supervision of the revolutionaries.

Feel free to post the next one.

Blog Entries

I see, well I doubt I could ever guessed that right

If no one will take the turn, I'll do that in a couple of days

ggggtotalwarrior's Avatar hey it geg

I don’t care. You can take it or I can too. Also my French knowledge is even if I knew it was Louis XVI i don’t know many of the smaller intricacies of the Revolution
    Rep me and I'll rep you back.

UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF THE KING POSTER AKAR

Blog Entries

ok I'll take the turn then

The picture refers to the battle that lead to that specific event.. the battle in itself wasn't anything out of the ordinary, but the following even was indeed.