Thread: Units Workshop

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Default Units Workshop

Hi all! Recently, I enjoyed to spend a little time modding M2TW and, in particular, TATW. I've made a many custom units for personal use only (some of them are almost made from scratch, some of them are a mix of different unit elements and others are just existing units with some modifications to improve their look and feel).

I would really love to release them (at least the ones I feel most attractive) and share my work with the community, but the problem is that I don't think they are acceptable for a public release at present for many reasons:
    1) I suck balls at working on 2D art, so unit cards and unit infos are missing or, more often, very poorly made.
    2) I like LoTR a lot, but I'm not really a lore nerd, so they may be missing something very important and their descriptions are not accurate.
    3) I played TATWaC for quite long time til now, but I think some of them may have balance issues.
    4) Sometimes, I feel they're still missing something to be "perfect", like if they were still in a "good vision poor execution" state... small ameliorations and improvements.

At present, they're all what my poor skills allow me to produce (I tried improving them by myself but I lack experience and methodology so this process is just frustrating me and getting no good results) and, on the top of that, my job is getting very intensive and I don't have enough time to train myself.

That's why I've opened this thread. I would like to know if there's anybody out there that would like to help me out fine tuning my "creations" (that's all what they really need, so it will not take too long imho). There's a lot of skilled people in these forums and I'm sure that, with a little effort, I would be able to make everybody enjoy these new units and to learn something new at the same time. If you are interested, feel free to contact me through PM or Skype (divinozarathos).

I'm just leaving here some previews...

Umbar Militia

This unit is meant to be a replacement for the current militia (both archers and spearmen).
    It's inspired by a LoTR TW unit and some of its textures are taken from that mod (I received the mod's team permission to do so), but it has been made from scratch using a TATW rhunnic unit's model as base.
    It just needs some tweakings to textures and very little improvements to some 3d model parts as well as unit card and unit info images.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	umbar_ms.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	327.0 KB 
ID:	302435

Name:	umbar_g1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	302436

Name:	umbar_g2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	302433

Name:	umbar_g3.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	108.3 KB 
ID:	302434

Druedains

I took inspiration from many posts all around this forum asking for them, and I based my work on them over Troll Men of Harad and vanilla aztecs' textures and models. I created them out of a mix of all the images I found about them on Google.
    They are equipped with both javelin and mace. Using the "prec" attribute, they just throw their javelin before charging into melee.
    I would like to make them recruitable by all "good" human factions only in the areas populated by woses as per lore.
    They require some work on textures (especially the face's one), on the model (some vertices need to be calibrated over their movement to avoid messy movements) and on the overall style to make them look more lore-fitting and more savage/tribal. They require also some work on sounds, but I can manage that by myself.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Name:	druedain_ms.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	302432

Name:	druedain_g1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	302429

Name:	druedain_g2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	302430

Name:	druedain_g3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	302431

And many, many more...

Default Re: Units Workshop

Your Umbar Militia unit is using one of Rhun models from TATW? If this is true, you can not release it, due to permissions NOT BEING granted for them:

Disgruntled Goat (faction Rhun): no
    permission granted

As seen here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Models-of-TATW

You should send him a Private Message and ask him for permission.
    Last edited by ElvenKind; February 22, 2014 at 03:39 AM.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Nice work!

Good luck with your project!

I like them a lot, keep up.!!!
    Last edited by morfeasnikos; February 22, 2014 at 04:10 AM.

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenKind View Post
    Your Umbar Militia unit is using one of Rhun models from TATW? If this is true, you can not release it, due to permissions NOT BEING granted for them
    It was just using a few texture surfaces and a few polygons. Anyway I fixed the problem by replacing that with vanilla things

Nice

Looks very good. Tough I must say your new umbar militia looks more like elite units to me :p

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Nice units!

looks great, the second dwarf on the bottom looks a bit strange tough.

Some orcs also look unnatural (but i guess for orcs thats ok :p )

Zarathos's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by manekemaan View Post
    Looks very good. Tough I must say your new umbar militia looks more like elite units to me :p
    Yes, that's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by manekemaan View Post
    looks great, the second dwarf on the bottom looks a bit strange tough.
    Yhey're not dwarves...

Hello, I am more than willing to help you with the descriptions, names, stat balance and creation of the unit info cards (my unit cards are awful but I can make the unit info cards)

In part this is because I am very, VERY interested in using your Umbar units for Umbar over in DaC.

Let me know if I can help.

Gratzy2's Avatar Semisalis

nice stuff dude especially the Druedain unit

The remnant of the King's Men who survived in Middle-earth after the destruction of Númenor were called the Black Númenóreans since they worshipped Sauron and were "enamoured of evil knowledge". They worshipped Darkness, and believed that Melkor and Sauron were its most powerful servants. At the end of the Second Age two of their number, Herumor and Fuinur, became lords among the Haradrim, though what became of them is unknown.

If you send me the cas. models and the textures I'll be able to make the unit cards.