Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beasts of War: Camel Cataphracts were in the game before release.

Default Beasts of War: Camel Cataphracts were in the game before release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEXBG...utu.be&t=8m10s

Saw this and was just wondering what people think about this, or if anyone had even really noticed. You can see them clearly at about 8:17, stats and all on the card in the bottom left.

Default Re: Beasts of War: Camel Cataphracts were in the game before release.

My game works fine.

We know old news! but they properly cut more content to sell as DLC.
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Pee_Alot View Post
    We know old news!
    Really? I pretty much just saw it on the official forums and it didn't seem like anyone knew about it. All those posts got censored into the ground too.

Quote Originally Posted by Unethical Koala View Post
    Really? I pretty much just saw it on the official forums and it didn't seem like anyone knew about it. All those posts got censored into the ground too.
    I believe it was mention when rome was released.
    --------> http://play0ad.com <--------
    OS: Win 7 64bit Ultimate // MOB: GA-990FXA-UD5 // CPU: AMD FX-8350 BE Eight-Core 4,70Ghz OC // WC: CM Nepton_280L // Memory: 16GB 1866Mhz // GPU: Nvidea GTX 780 ti 3GB // SC: SB X-Fi Titanium HD // SS: Creative T20 Series II // Monitors: Asus 27" 1ms , Asus 24'' 4ms //
    HDD: 1TB // SSD: 128GB // SSD: 240GB // External: 3TB

Tiro

Im liking these camel cataphracts, but they seem to lose to regular cataphract horse even with better stats...

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Pee_Alot View Post
    I believe it was mention when rome was released.
    It was, but that just meant that maybe they had cut it or something because it didn't fit or had forgotten to activate it or something. This means that they were deliberately withholding it with intent to sell later.

nigelnire's Avatar Decanus

Is anyone surprised by this? Why sell a complete game when they can sell you half of it with the rest as DLC? CA are lower than a Chihuahua’s dangly bits. They are now the pond life of games companies even outdoing EA.

Is that the same video that one guy has been spamming all over?

Those are Camel Cataphracts, not Armored Camel Cataphracts. Not to mention, it was a demo and an early version of the game - by the final release, the unit was either not entirely finished or was decided it was not going to be part of the base game. It's not too unusual for something you see in a demo, to not make the final cut of the game. In the old days, you'd never see them. Nowadays, with DLC, there's the possibility content that didn't make it into the final version, could be finished up and then sold instead of never being released.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
    Is anyone surprised by this? Why sell a complete game when they can sell you half of it with the rest as DLC? CA are lower than a Chihuahua’s dangly bits. They are now the pond life of games companies even outdoing EA.
    It`s all a part of their long-term plan. No matter what we say or do, they are not altering it, even when it looks like they are. I wish I was joking. But using something that was in the original product, kept locked away for half a year then selling it as a separate thing is proof.

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    Those are Camel Cataphracts, not Armored Camel Cataphracts. Not to mention, it was a demo and an early version of the game - by the final release, the unit was either not entirely finished or was decided it was not going to be part of the base game. It's not too unusual for something you see in a demo, to not make the final cut of the game. In the old days, you'd never see them. Nowadays, with DLC, there's the possibility content that didn't make it into the final version, could be finished up and then sold instead of never being released.
    Seen a few people post the video. There's that whole "DLC is not cut content" quote from one of the developer's Q&A things too.

I don't know what there is to argue about how fit for purpose it is. You can see it in action, it has animations, it has stats.

Seen a few people post the video. There's that whole "DLC is not cut content" quote from one of the developer's Q&A things too.

I don't know what there is to argue about how fit for purpose it is. You can see it in action, it has animations, it has stats.
    Doesn't mean it'll make the final cut though.

It's like movies. The scene can be filmed, put into the movie, and all that jazz. And they can still decide, at the last minute, to remove it from the movie anyway. Even if something is 99% done, or heck, 100% the decision can still be made to decide it just doesn't fit, or it just isn't right, acceptable, etc. etc.

There's many reasons why something can be shown, or made, and still not make it into the final release. And the only reason for this is not, "hurr hurr we're greedy and evil, so let's cut it out to sell later."

Quote Originally Posted by nigelnire View Post
    As much as I am disappointed and saddened by the lies, false marketing and eventual state of the game. As much as the DLC is laughable, NO ONE is as low as EA. They perma banned peoples origins accounts for daring to bad mouthing the Simcity release. Locking people out of ALL of there games on origin. CA may be more corrupted by the evils of the warp daily, but EA is the 5th chief Chaos god. EA is the Chaos God of greed and the covetous. CA is merely becoming a demon of Chaos....

EA's domain in the warp is one long infomercial where they offer you the smallest most miniscule, useless items, items you could not possibly need but they convince you otherwise. The cost is your soul.
    CA is merely a small cult of worshippers of the Chaos God EA/Activision.

If I could I would gladly smite the foul chaos worshippers of CA and have it returned to the devotion of the Emperor and the Imperial Truth.

http://youtu.be/L6eaBtzqqFA?t=1h12m10s
    Last edited by Monoloco; February 18, 2014 at 06:57 PM.
    Last night, the complaints of the fans kept me awake and I had a terrible vision. I saw, the end of our franchise, countless bugs and bad reviews! Total War, GONE. Why would CA release such an unfinished game? They put effort into their work. They have released successful Total War titles aplenty! Their products are shipped to all corners of the world...and yet now I fear, I cannot help it. Total War is the envy of lesser gamers but CA, tell terrible lies to their fanbase, Rome II was bugged and unfinished SO THEY LIE. But Sega, they are the masters of falsehood. DLC will come, I am sure of it, so I will buy no more Total War games, and I think the forums, will be empty tonight.

Doesn't mean it'll make the final cut though.

It's like movies. The scene can be filmed, put into the movie, and all that jazz. And they can still decide, at the last minute, to remove it from the movie anyway. Even if something is 99% done, or heck, 100% the decision can still be made to decide it just doesn't fit, or it just isn't right, acceptable, etc. etc.

There's many reasons why something can be shown, or made, and still not make it into the final release. And the only reason for this is not, "hurr hurr we're greedy and evil, so let's cut it out to sell later."
    I think it's a bit harder to compare to movies. It would be more like there was a movie, and the trailer showed it had plenty of vibrant colors. Then you go out and buy the standard edition it has no orange or purple, those colors have been replaced by grey, and it really takes away from the viewing experience. You need to buy the Extended Edition for $5 more to get all the color. "But it showed those colors in the Trailer..."Not sure if that's the best comparison, but I find the unit variety in a strategy game is pretty similar to color in a movie. Is it okay for Film-makers to cut out color and sell it to us for an extra $5?

It's hard to argue that the removal of this unit could benefit us in any way.

**Film executives taking notes**

I think it's a bit harder to compare to movies. It would be more like there was a movie, and the trailer showed it had plenty of vibrant colors. Then you go out and buy the standard edition it has no orange or purple, those colors have been replaced by grey, and it really takes away from the viewing experience. You need to buy the Extended Edition for $5 more to get all the color. "But it showed those colors in the Trailer..."Not sure if that's the best comparison, but I find the unit variety in a strategy game is pretty similar to color in a movie. Is it okay for Film-makers to cut out color and sell it to us for an extra $5?

It's hard to argue that the removal of this unit could benefit us in any way.

**Film executives taking notes**
    I imagine the viewpoint is largely different from person to person.

To me, something that doesn't make the final cut, is no different then a movie's theatrical release being different then what was shown in trailers/previews of sorts. A vareity of reasons goes into deciding what does, and doesn't make the final cut of the release of both a video game, and a movie.

A common argument for removing a balance is gameplay reasons. Perhaps the unit seemed out of place, compared to the rest of the roster. Perhaps test players reacted poorly to it, or felt it was too weak/strong. Maybe someone just decided, "You know, maybe we don't need camels...". For whatever reason it was, the Camel Cataphract didn't make the release version of the game.

Those are Camel Cataphracts, not Armored Camel Cataphracts.
    Funny, the DLC unit is also called Camel Cataphracts, there's no "armored".

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2houxdd.jpg
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...43#post1056343

If it s a cataphract it goes without saying that it's armored.

Of course SEGA/CA's policies are so pro-customer that there's no way they'd cut content to sell as dlc, right? They wouldn't dream of it.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; February 18, 2014 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post

Swore they had Armored in their name. I wonder what unit I was thinking of?

Either way, refer to previous posts in regards to demos/early access things.

I suppose. Should have just released it later for free like they did with the new Elephant skins if that was the situation though. (Hard to see how the unit could be unbalanced, it didn't exactly seem like a whole lot was done to balance the game from what was seen on launch, and they've been changing it a whole bunch each patch anyway.) From what I've seen it just looks like they needed to turn the unit on and it was good to go.

It sure contradicts what they were saying about not using cut content as DLC too, but I guess that happened as soon as they announced the day one DLC.

Oh well, nothing to do now but hope arena turns out alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean=A=Luc View Post

Of course SEGA/CA's policies are so pro-customer that there's not way they'd cut content to sell as dlc, right?
    nice one! Wonder what excuse will appear now...

Back in the day when i was moding Starcraft 2 i used a lot of alpha units and abilities to create Starcraft-X. Such as repears explosives BC groundbombardment etc. There isn't anything strange to this, but! you guys should ask yourself what more unpolished gems might exist.

Pretty douchey to release it as DLC though, i hope most of these units weren't pre alpha.
    Youtube channel
    Twitch channel
    Looking forward to Warhammer Total War

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast