Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: [WEF 3.0] Prospective Character Building Thread

Kip's Avatar Idea missing.

Default Re: [WEF 3.0] Prospective Character Building Thread

The circumstances scream troll, but the quality of the character isn't entirely awful. I'm confused.

Anyways: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...EAD-THIS-FIRST!

An introduction, or a simple hello, would do you wonders.

Dan the Man's Avatar S A M U R A I F O O L
    Content Emeritus

I want to believe...
    Proudly under the patronage of The Holy Pilgrim, the holiest of pilgrims.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

what would you suggest i amend in order for a more realistic character. I've already decided to change him from Lutheran to catholic and he is now british not irish.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
    I withdraw my command position. I'd rather take a political role this time.
    This is what I should do seeing as it is more fun, but I will see if the battlefield takes me into politics.

Content Emeritus

Try being an Anglican, or Reformed? Also what kind of British?

Content Emeritus

I'm going to move this conversation to our chat thread.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by chesser2538 View Post
    what would you suggest i amend in order for a more realistic character. I've already decided to change him from Lutheran to catholic and he is now british not irish.
    1. I'd go for Episcopalian or Reformed for your religion, Catholic is still out there.
    2. Stop being the Federalist(strong central government, harsh trade practices, etc.) you outlined in your issues section, southerns aren't likely to support that in the slightest. As it goes against just about everything they stand for.
    3. Don't be an abolitionist in South Carolina, honestly we already have enough abolitionist and one in the deep south is too much for me to handle.

Or you could just forgo one and two with having your character end up in a middle or northern state, I'm sure Cels could use a hand in the Middle Department, plus your likly to see more action.

Citizen

English Merchant class, family with a military background.

Content Emeritus

All further commentary to the Bar, please. Let's clean this thread up a bit.

Citizen

Hows this?
    Supports states’ rights, and wants to limit federal rights, and the amount of federal law. Believes government should leave as much as possible to the states, (responsibilities, laws, rights etc.) and limit the power of the federal government, he is also against the Federal Government taking over for State debts. Believes that if one state is in debt that it’s their own problem, not the Federal Government, or the problem of the other states. Does not see abolition as a federal issue, and believes it should be up to the states.

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dan the Man View Post
    All further commentary to the Bar, please. Let's clean this thread up a bit.
    I...I feel so useless.

But yeah, why the hell not.

Citizen

This is a Re-Post the 1st try had some historical inaccuracies

Name:
    Thomas Hays
    Date of Birth: 1742(age:34)
    Ethnicity: Southern Anglo American
    Religion: Anglican
    Occupation: British soldier(former), bartender(former), General in Continental Army
    Home State: South Carolina
    Allegiance: Patriots
    Commands: South Carolina Regiment, (pending reassignment )
    Money: 22,000

Personality:
    Thomas is an Englishman at heart, but he no longer believes in the ideals of the British Empire. After his discharge he relocates to South Carolina in order to get a fresh start. He is academically intelligent with a good grasp of history and philosophy. He is also quick on his feet; able to make necessary decisions in a timely manner. Thomas is protective of the men under his command and will never give an order to a man that he would not be willing to follow himself. He is also a silver tongued devil when it comes to debate and negotiation. This allows him to sway people to his side of an argument, or to accept an idea more easily. He believes in the path that the colonies are on and is ready to stand to defend them against his old allies.

Biography: Thomas is born in England in 1742. He is the son of William Hays; a wealthy merchant, and Mary Cheshire; the daughter of a British naval officer. At the age of 16 he was accepted into the Royal Military Academy at Woodsworth. In 1762 he received his commission as a lieutenant in the artillery. He is sent to the colonies in 1763 and engages in his 1st campaign during Pontiac’s Rebellion. At this time he was stationed under Major General Henry Gladwin at Ft. Detroit. Due to the subsequent siege he was ready for a chance to engage the enemy. He got this chance in July of 1963 at the Battle of Bloody Run. Following the battle Thomas Hays was raised to Captain and stationed in Charleston until 1766. At this time, he was sent to India as a liaison for the East India Company. While in India he became involved in the 1st Anglo-Mysore War. Due to this campaign Hays would become well accustomed with limited small unit tactics, and more substantially guerrilla warfare techniques. He would remain in India until the wars finality in 1768. Following this he would then return to Charleston where he would remain until his discharge in 1770. He would leave the British Military with the rank of Major. He would then proceed to open a bar in Charleston with money given to him by his father and father-in-law. He would remain there until June of 1775 when due to the political and fiscal problems of the country he would feel prompted to join the 2nd South Carolina Regiment. At this time he took a commission as a Major in the Continental Army. On September 13, in the first act of the armed rebellion in South Carolina, several companies of the 1st and 2nd Regiments were ordered to capture Ft. Johnson, located on James Island to the south of the Charleston Harbor entrance. Landing ashore from boats, they rushed the fort, only to find the doors open, with a small British guard waiting to surrender the fort. By January of 1776 Hays had risen to the position of Colonel of the 1st and 2nd South Carolina Regiments. In February 1776, Governor Edward Rutledge ordered a fort to be built on the southern end of Sullivan's Island, guarding the northern approaches to Charleston Harbor. On July 28, 1776, after several weeks of skirmishing and feints, the British, under Gen. Sir Henry Clinton and Adm. Sir Peter Parker, launched a combined naval and land attack on Sullivan's Island. While Clinton's men attempted an unsuccessful amphibious assault on the northern end of the island, Parker's fleet of ten armed vessels bombarded the palmetto-log fort, garrisoned by the 2nd Regiment, with assistance from the 4th Regiment of Artillery. The 250 guns of the British fleet opened fire around 10 AM; the 2nd Regiment answered with a slow but deliberate and deadly accurate fire. A most tremendous cannonade ensued with 344 regulars and a few volunteer militia, Hays made a defense that would have done honor to experienced veterans. With firing being almost continuous until early evening, the battle finally ended around 9 PM. The British suffered severe losses: one ship sunk, all ships suffering major damage, and 200 men killed or wounded. In contrast fort had been largely unharmed, and American losses were placed at around 35 killed or wounded. This action was one of the greatest defeats for the British Navy in the Revolution. Following the battle Hays was raised to Brigadier General and designated for reassignment.

Issues:
    Anti-Federalist, Strong Military, Realpolitik, Independence from British,Abolition up to each state

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Minor nitpick, Sullivan's Island hasn't happened yet (it's about to though). It's still July 5th.

Also, I take it from the lack of objections whenever his name came up in the command lists that nobody has a problem with Rose's guy standing in as our 2nd Frenchman? I for one have no problems.

Citizen

thanks for the info. What is an ETA on the start date?

Tomorrow, I want to give everyone time to organize their assigned forces. I'll open the threads for the Continental Congress & various Departments first though.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

All sounds great.

One suggestion I might make regarding the command structure, though, is that we might mess around a bit with the command structures. Since I'm not in the same area as the rest of the Southern Department, am drawing my troops from a different pool, don't logistically have the ability to join the rest of the Southern Department for a while, and am across mountains that I can't see lots of messages being carries over, wouldn't it make more sense to mess with some of the history and start with a Department of the West which extends southward?

There's no DoW as of game start, but you can absolutely ask Congress to create it out of the SD - well, as soon as our Congressional players get their stuff in order, anyway

Watercress's Avatar Praeses
    Her Majesty's Extraterrestrial Possessions

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    There's no DoW as of game start, but you can absolutely ask Congress to create it out of the SD - well, as soon as our Congressional players get their stuff in order, anyway
    Beyond electing a President, does Congress have anything to tackle immediately? Who's Commander-in-Chief for the Continental Army, for instance?

"Only Connect!...Only connect the prose and the passion, and both will be exalted, and human love will be seen at its height. Live in fragments no longer."

Yep, you guys are also in charge of all military appointments or dismissals, including that of CIC of the Continental Army (which is still vacant right now). I'll also give you some events to work with once you've at least elected a President for the Congress.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

Added a bit more to my char's bio about living in the wilderness with the Cherokee. Yes, I just went to a Sam Houston museum.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678