Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improved animations and formations for Hoplites, Legionaries & Polybolos

Foederatus

Default Re: Improved animations and formations for Hoplites, Legionaries & Polybolos

Great mod! Thank God for modders like you that make this game more interesting to play!

Reno Melitensis's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Improved animations and formations for Hoplites, Legionaries & Polybolos

I will download this and give it a try thanks.

Cheers.

I like the mod! I have not been able to get it to work with DeL though. I disabled DeL and it worked fine. I am not using any other mods, any ideas?

Hey, thanks for all the feedback.
    and thanks Uriyaca for the news announcement!

I hadn't checked this thread in a while, so I'll upload the Steam Workshop version which is updated and works with DEL
    It adds Hollow Square and new abilities for Legionaries.

All the mods should be compatible with DEL now, except Moon_RomanSpacingMod (optional) which is just a spacing mod for vanilla RTW2.

The Steam Workshop pages have videos and more screenshots.
    Last edited by Moonhoplite; February 23, 2014 at 09:15 PM.

hey when I click on the .rar attachment it downloads a PHP file called attachment, is this a mistake or what? I have no idea how to use that and when I looked it up it sounded like a real pain in the ass

When I dl & click on the .rar, it opens and shows the 4 mod files. Did you use WinRar to open it? I have no idea about the PHP file.

It must be something to do with my computer, I tried it with my phone and I got it downloaded, ill transfer and try these out tonight, thanks a lot for these

Indefinitely Banned

Great work, one gripe i have is that the phalanx can run while adopting the phalanx formation, hopefully they atleast suffer a huge speed penalty. But i must admit, the improvements to the phalanx movement in vanilla are more realistic in a certain respect, minus the formation cancelling when going into a run, since once adoping the formation, they should be locked at a certain pace. But great work dude, i do like what you have done with the romans!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonhoplite View Post
    Hey, thanks for all the feedback.and thanks Uriyaca for the news announcement!I hadn't checked this thread in a while, so I'll upload the Steam Workshop version which is updated and works with DEL It adds Hollow Square and new abilities for Legionaries.All the mods should be compatible with DEL now, except Moon_RomanSpacingMod (optional) which is just a spacing mod for vanilla RTW2.The Steam Workshop pages have videos and more screenshots.
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm still not able to get it to work with newest version of DeL and using the official mod manager. No other mods installed and this mod works if I disable DeL. Only trying the phalanx mod. Any suggestions?

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by ahedgpe View Post
    Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm still not able to get it to work with newest version of DeL and using the official mod manager. No other mods installed and this mod works if I disable DeL. Only trying the phalanx mod. Any suggestions?
    I assume that you mean Divide et Impera. The hoplite animation won't work because Selea made his own to change its functionality. If you use PFM you can change the phase of "killing spree" from hoplite phalanx to whatever moon's formation uses (a_mp_test_2 maybe?) and it should work.

I've used the steam version of DEI with all my mods (the new versions), and tested it in custom battles. It works fine with the roman mod.

Pikemen can run with no penalty so I figured why not.

Im also working on a hoplite overhaul btw. It will add overarm spear stances in phalanx and spears (in phalanx) + swords (outside/when flanked). Also I've added new phalangite hoplites (with new animations and shorter spears than pikes).

EDIT:
    lol I found that DEI hoplite units dont use the hoplite_phalanx ability at all. Instead he makes the phalanx the ability "killing spree". Killing spree assumes a "shield_wall_formation" behaviour. Just change to pike_phalanx_formation.

Doesn't make any sense why it was like that in DEI....
    Last edited by Moonhoplite; February 25, 2014 at 06:12 PM.

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

I've used the steam version of DEI with all my mods (the new versions), and tested it in custom battles. It works fine with the roman mod.

Pikemen can run with no penalty so I figured why not.

Im also working on a hoplite overhaul btw. It will add overarm spear stances in phalanx and spears (in phalanx) + swords (outside/when flanked). Also I've added new phalangite hoplites (with new animations and shorter spears than pikes).

EDIT:
    lol I found that DEI hoplite units dont use the hoplite_phalanx ability at all. Instead he makes the phalanx the ability "killing spree". Killing spree assumes a "shield_wall_formation" behaviour. Just change to pike_phalanx_formation.

Doesn't make any sense why it was like that in DEI....
    He did it so that the AI will use it every fight. Shield wall is headhunt too for the same reason. The method has its drawbacks though.

What parameter makes the AI always use it? Is it just the name "killing_spree", because there are hidden factors that change it?

Im curious, because this would be very helpful for me to control how the AI uses abilities. I don't see anything particular for killing_spree in special_abilities.

I know that the behaviour, pike_phalanx_formation, causes the AI to always use an ability that has that (eg pike phalanx).

Thanks
    Last edited by Moonhoplite; February 25, 2014 at 10:56 PM.

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

What parameter makes the AI always use it? Is it just the name "killing_spree", because there are hidden factors that change it?

Im curious, because this would be very helpful for me to control how the AI uses abilities. I don't see anything particular for killing_spree in special_abilities.

I know that the behaviour, pike_phalanx_formation, causes the AI to always use an ability that has that (eg pike phalanx).

Thanks
    As strange as it sounds, I think it actually is, more or less, the name; certain abilities that have that "allow automatic use" trait will be used by the AI, every time it's up. Killing spree and headhunt are two of them, but rapid reload and possibly use the whip are others. If you simply check the box in PFM for "allow automatic use" the AI doesn't seem to use it for some reason.

So he basically did what you did with allowing the formations to be made after combat has started, but he built them from those original automatic use abilities. The in-game effect is that your units will charge, then use what they think is their special ability, and assume that formation. It's clever, but I don't particularly like it for a few reasons: 1. Your units start reforming after combat is met which is irritating to watch and unrealistic, 2. As the player, it's just another button to press to make your units strong, forever. There's no downside except another click, 3. I feel that if you want your units to assume a formation, that it should be a prepared thing. A tactical decision. If your units are fighting and then you decide "On second thought," or "Whoops," then that should hurt you. Not be a button click away from being fixed.

Personally, I prefer the way that they were implemented in vanilla. But, if for whatever reason that bothers players that the AI won't use their formations, (I have noticed it using them some in recent patches, but I'm trying to find the logic. They use hoplite phalanx defensively to brace for a charge, but also when they're being kited by archers?) then I think that they should just be removed, and have the stats added in to the raw stats of the unit.

The only problem that I have, and this is a personal thing, with your "Roman Formation" is that when used by the AI, they lose the ability to charge, and use pila. I think that the lost damage is made up in the bonus stats, but from a flavor perspective, I prefer to have the charge.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot: I think that when he added the bonus to the new "hoplite phalanx" that the bonus isn't applied only to the front of the unit, but all sides. This makes them have insane defense even from the rear. I could be wrong on this, and I'm going to test it more this week, but a lot of people are complaining in the DeI forum that hoplites aren't dying even when surrounded.
    Last edited by Black9; February 26, 2014 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Post Script

[QUOTE=Moonhoplite;13661459]Hey, thanks for all the feedback.
    and thanks Uriyaca for the news announcement!

I hadn't checked this thread in a while, so I'll upload the Steam Workshop version which is updated and works with DEL
    It adds Hollow Square and new abilities for Legionaries.

@Moonhoplite did you think make new roman formations? i thinking about a " organized retreat ", roman soldiers goes back but they still are turn on enemies faces, i donīt know why when i retreat my man they trun back, and show there backs to the enemies fire or attack, itīs stupid, romans had this formations, even in republican time, when they use the refresh units of triplex acis, can you do something like that? with an apropiate animations?? Thanks! love your formations!!!

I really love your mod, but could you do another mod where you fix defensive testudo formation, since you are so good in making new animations? You could make second row with Shields half raised as the back rows in your actual mod for legionnaires. So there will not be gaps between first and second row.

hey thanks Black9, interesting and helpful. Hidden ability properties are annoying.

@marcus,unfortunately it's not possible to get animations for fleeing with shields protecting them.
    In the game engine, routing is just the default running animation. Can't change that.

@andrew, I added defensive testudo with the fixed front row animations. It's not possible to edit the 2nd row though.

hey thanks Black9, interesting and helpful. Hidden ability properties are annoying.

@marcus,unfortunately it's not possible to get animations for fleeing with shields protecting them.
    In the game engine, routing is just the default running animation. Can't change that.

@andrew, I added defensive testudo with the fixed front row animations. It's not possible to edit the 2nd row though.
    so how did you fix defensive testudo? the second row was only real problem
    Then it would be so cool if you made the defensive testudo work as an to cavalry formation, as some mods do, but (Noone has done it) adding the holding of Pila instead of swords for first 2 rows, so to present enemy a wall of Shields and spear points. Because this was a real formation and is lacking right now.
    Last edited by andrew881thebest; February 28, 2014 at 01:07 AM.

@MoonHoplite i see the mod " realistic legionary tactics " use your animations and include more formations and effects for roman soldiers and weapons ( like pila broken shield effect ) you recomend me to use this? i think they work more aspects than you, iīm gonna test this mod, but youīre gonna do more with thouse mods? are you gonna do more formations?

Im using DeI and after reading on this thread, used pfm to change the hoplite unit ability from "killing spree" to "form hoplite phalanx" in "land units to unit abilities junctions table". Hoplites still break formation and charge though (pikes do not). Am I changing the correct file? Thanks

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast