Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Improved animations and formations for Hoplites, Legionaries & Polybolos

Default Improved animations and formations for Hoplites, Legionaries & Polybolos

Rome II mod for Hoplites, Legionaries and Polybolos (v_1, updated to TWR2 Patch 9)

Hi,

Here are three mods that can be used all together or separately that improve the animations and formations of hoplites and legionaries, which IMO improve the realism/gameplay of battles.
    These packs should be COMPATIBLE with other overhauls/mods, like DEL (but not Radious Battle Mod).

There's also a 4th optional mod that makes legionary charges smoother and optimises spacing, which isn't compatible with DEL.

1. Improved Hoplite Phalanx Mod
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

• [Gameplay Change]: Improved the Hoplite Phalanx ability. With this ability, hoplites will now hold an organised formation during combat. The ability stays on during combat, walking and running.
    • [Animation Change]: In combat with Hoplite Phalanx on, hoplites at the rear ranks will hold their spears vertically. Hoplites at the front ranks will hold their spears in a combat stance.

As seen in screenshots below, hoplites will form a cohesive formation during combat with realistic spear stances.

2. Improved Roman Formations Mod

• [Gameplay Change]: Adds 'Roman Formation'ability. With this ability, Roman legion infantry will form a defensive formation. The ability stays on during combat, walking and running. Also added Defensive testudo and Hollow Square formation. In Hollow Square, legionaries will stick their pilum outwards (effective against cavalry charges, weak against prolonged combat).
    • [Animation Change]: In combat with 'Roman Formation' on, infantry at the rear ranks will hold their shields up. Soldiers at the front ranks will be in a combat ready stance.

As seen in screenshots below, legionaries will hold an organised formation during marching/running and combat.

3. Movable Polybolos Mod

• [Gameplay change]: ​The Polybolos is now a field artillery unit and can be moved around very slowly. This makes the unit more usable in battle.
    • [Animation change]: There's now a new animation where the crew will push and guide the polybolos.

STEAM workshop link: (please download these and rate!)

Has more screenshots and videos demonstrating the mods!
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/Moonhop.../?appid=214950

Future:
    I want to add animated wheels to the polybolus model. If anyone knows if this is possible, can do it and release it, or can help, it would be greatly appreciated!

Formations can not charge. I believe that this can't be tweaked/changed with any tools (PFM, etc.)?
    However, you can still run with both formations ON. With the legionary formation, you can reform it during combat after a charge.

Installation:

Enable in mod manager

Bugs:
    None

Changes:
    1. Initial release
    2. Updated the mod (see Steam Workshop page for details).

Feedback welcome. Thanks. Rate on steam.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Moonhoplite; February 24, 2014 at 04:32 AM.

Default Re: Improved animations and formations for Hoplites, Legionaries & Polybolos

Very good mod. But can you please make a version with the standard testudo formation i like that more.

Default Re: Improved animations and formations for Hoplites, Legionaries & Polybolos

Thanks, sure I'll update that

Red9's Avatar Libertus

Is the phalanx mod compatible with Radious Mod? Looks very nice ^^
    "It makes me so happy to see people hate me. That to me is the truest form of success, when people dislike you. The people who love me give me direction, the people who hate me motivate me." - Frank Mir

❋ Flavius Belisarius ❋'s Avatar Semisalis

Rep
    I love the hoplite phalanx improvement
    The description Last of the Romans (Ultimus Romanorum) has historically been given to any man thought to embody the values of Ancient Roman civilization —values which, by implication, became extinct on his death. It has been used to describe a number of individuals.
    Flavius Belisarius (505?–565), one of the greatest generals of the Byzantine Empire and one of the most acclaimed generals in history. He was also the only Byzantine general to be granted a Roman Triumph.

any none steam version?

Yeah a non steam link would be great cause i cannot download from there and i really like these modes

what is the sense of back rows lifting Shields above heads, while front rows do not?

Done

in my opinon
    1. i think it looks cooler
    2. if I was at the rear I would bring my shields up a bit/front (it's not on top) to protect against missiles
    3. it makes the unit look more diverse, instead of all soldiers being the same clone and having the same stance/animation
    4. the ability makes the soldiers stay in formation in combat, regardless of animations
    5. it's in the Rome II official artwork (one of the loading screens)

Because front rows can take a direct hit easier that an above hit from projectiles while the back rows cannot take adirect hit that easily altough above hits are a concern. Think about it would you rather be front row shield above head or shield covering most of your body... And btw I would like this testudo and the standard testudo as another button maybe defensive testudo.

thanks man,brillant idea and great work

thx moon , maybe you can make new animations for battle too

am i the only one who thinks asking for a non-steamworkshop link, does probably not own the game? if you have problems with workshop you can take it up on the steam forum, there are alot of support for it there...

Alexandre Lange 18 Feb @ 6:23pm
    Hi, Moon Hoplite.
    It is possible to make testudo behave like you made it, just with shields over head like the original one (maybe clone phalax, give shileds over head to it, rename it and put it at 'assume_specific_behavior' in place of original phalax)? It would be perfect.
    Moon Hoplite [author] 22 hours ago
    @Alexandre, hi that's possible, just need to replace the animation.
    Can you give me (or tell me how do I do) a version like this? You would make a man very happy. Please? Really:

Uriyaca's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

This looks like a nice mod so I went ahead and posted it in the News Team's queue thread. It will be up on the FP soon
    Edit: up now
    Last edited by Uriyaca; February 20, 2014 at 12:30 PM.

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Video, we need video friend! You say you make phalanx and roman formation improvements, you make a video! This is serious! - I'll check it out later on.

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

All right, just tested it. YOU ARE THE B-E-S-T!!!!!! in' AWESOME. Anyone who likes organized TW with Greeks and Romans must have this! Finaly! Romans beat the god damn Oathsworn by using formation! The Hoplite phalanx moves like a phalanx all the time! Overhand spear, next? + rep is now a given. Modders do what CA doesn't...

Its just icing on the cake that you are an Aussie Well done mate, +rep and favourited/following your progress with keen interest!
    Last night, the complaints of the fans kept me awake and I had a terrible vision. I saw, the end of our franchise, countless bugs and bad reviews! Total War, GONE. Why would CA release such an unfinished game? They put effort into their work. They have released successful Total War titles aplenty! Their products are shipped to all corners of the world...and yet now I fear, I cannot help it. Total War is the envy of lesser gamers but CA, tell terrible lies to their fanbase, Rome II was bugged and unfinished SO THEY LIE. But Sega, they are the masters of falsehood. DLC will come, I am sure of it, so I will buy no more Total War games, and I think the forums, will be empty tonight.

Meraun's Avatar Decanus

looks epic! Is it compatible with Radious total war mod?

w a r f a r e a c t i v i t i e s | s p e c i a l i s t p r o t e c t i o n i n c
    Meraun | HIVE | Community Veteran

I cant get any of these to work with DEI without crashing?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast