Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: General Discussion (Original Mod Thread)

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Default Re: XENOPHONIA - the Native Speech mod project

Quote Originally Posted by finneys13
    Or indeed the history of it, what the nobles and peasants spoke, you get the idea.
    Yeah. We'll need lots of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultras DVSC
    Well, I can take upon myself the Hungarian part of the project (with Hun Bir if he wants to help). My voice is a deep bariton but I'm not an actor so I'll rather try to find an (or some) potential capable speaker. In regard to Medieval Hungarian: we have written sources from the 11th century so with some historians and linguists I think we can manage to represent an authentic idiom. There is only one problem with medieval languages: they're already almost entirely incomprehensible for us.
    Great!

As for the medieval languages being incomprehensible - don't forget, modern-day hungarian is to most of us. The point of this project is to enhance immersion. A language that you can't understand will do this perfectly, and there's not much to be understood to begin with in this game, even when everyone is speaking English. Hopefully, we'll all learn something new making the mods. Haha

I've requested a sub-forum, again. This time I PM'd Lusted. Let's see if something happens.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Quote Originally Posted by Beiss
    As for the medieval languages being incomprehensible - don't forget, modern-day hungarian is to most of us.
    Haha, okey-dokey, i'll do what i can.

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

I've requested a sub-forum, again. This time I PM'd Lusted. Let's see if something happens.
    Any news?

Well, LovasIjasz (formerly Archer, I'm so sorry I cannot do the a-accent, due to a sucky keyboard and/or computer) said that he would consider it a minimod, and although he had high hopes, could not give it a full mod status.

Quote Originally Posted by LovasIjász
    This, despite one of the best ideas for the game, cannot be categorized as a major mod, since it will only change one aspect - the native languages spoken - of the game.

I will list it under the mini mods, but definetely, this mod sounds very promising.
    Doesn't that end the story?
    Last edited by WILHELM_II; October 27, 2006 at 03:25 PM.
    Der Kaiser
    ΑΩ

That's not the point. Point is: that post (archer's) is a bit old and he's yet to do what he said he would.

Obviously, this is a mini-mod...

I don't care if it's mini, major, maxi, or midi... I just want a sub-forum Lusted has already replied to my PM, so maybe it won't be long until this thread is moved to the mods section instead. See you there.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

I don't care if it's mini, major, maxi, or midi... I just want a sub-forum Lusted has already replied to my PM, so maybe it won't be long until this thread is moved to the mods section instead. See you there.
    Definately midi!

BTW, Lusted rules

Spajjder's Avatar Senator

It is done.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=256

Praise our lord, Lusted.

EDIT: Whoops, seems I logged in with my brother's account by mistake. / Beiss
    Head Scout: You've got three days to earn a badge.
    Peter:Three days? That's tomorrow! We gotta get going!

I'll chop things up into tidy threads real soon. I need to go to bed now
    Last edited by Beiss; October 27, 2006 at 05:19 PM.

Hurray! Hurray!

WTF am I celebrating anyway?!

i wanna help....

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

cool will want to get this

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

So, I downloaded the gallic voicemod for vanilla rtw by Shigawire. I recommend everyone who wants to help out with this mod to do the same - install the mod somewhere on your hard drive, enqueue all of the samples in your media player, push play, and listen. We want to do exactly what this mod does, but with other languages, and for M2TW. It also shows how much work goes into each of these languages, and is an excellent study example of how do make voice mods.

You may think this is a very large number of files (I counted 345 or so), but keep in mind that 3 different versions of each kind of sound is quite necessary to keep things from getting repetitive. Also, there are no pre-battle speeches or unit names in the above mentioned 345 samples, so even if it seems like a lot of work, even more needs to be done.

By what technics were these voices recorded, because I think it's not just a mere home microphone. Anyway how are we going to make ours?

I'm working on that. Re-read the first post if you haven't already. It's difficult to start translating things before the game is released... so the only thing we can do is to start preparing - find more people, start discussing things. I'll return soon.

Pyrgopolynices's Avatar Campidoctor

Ah! Finally we have it! A nice place to work!

I've just heard some of the audio in that mod. Didn't test it in RTW yet, but I'm sure it sounds great there. There's a lot of work to do, and I'm eager to start it once the game gets out.

I could give a hand in latin also, since I'm graduated in Portuguese and Classical Languages.

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Good good, now we're making some progress. Do we set up the language threads in the Developer forum?

Valentin the II's Avatar Primicerius

I may help with russian.
    I'm a native russian speaker, I have a deep voice and can scare some of my clasmates with my angry shouts.
    I have a mic (preaty good one) but I dont know what programs I need to record with.
    PM me if you need my help.

PS: I obviously dont know old-slavic. May need some help with that.
    Born to be wild - live to outgrow it (Lao Tzu)
    Someday you will die and somehow something's going to steal your carbon
    In contrast to the efforts of tiny Israel to make contributions to the world so as to better mankind, one has to ask what have those who have strived to eliminate Israel from the face of the earth done other than to create hate and bloodshed.

Excellent. I also have a friend who speak Russian, and I'll try to make him join. For recording, I recommend "wavepad", but I think shigawire might know best.

I say we wait a little longer with starting language threads, but if you really want to, go ahead. If you do, put them in the open forum, so everyone can see it. There's no need to use the dev forum just yet. I want people to be able to discuss things openly, even non-team members.

And I'm still working on setting up rules and guidelines for the project.

Default Re: General Discussion (Original Mod Thread)

That would be me you are talking about! :tooth:

Count me in!

I think I can get some info on Slavic languages. Ill see what I can dig up.