Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion (Original Mod Thread)

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: XENOPHONIA - the Native Speech mod project

Quote Originally Posted by U.A.T
    Ai merda que até meu causa arrepios!

Brrr!
    Nifty voice, sounds like that dude guy that does those nifty hand movements when talking about historical facts. =/

I have a good shouting voice, somebody told me that when i got bersek in a school fight i sounded like a bear.
    :tooth: I know it's exagerated.

Though i can't really shout to my micro (The sound gets distorced when i speak too loud.) i'd reccomend shouting with lots of anger in that voice.
    Don't make fun of him, he surely did his best and is not fault of having such a voice...

I too have a good shouting voice, very manly I must say

U.A.T's Avatar Tiro
    Algarve, um sitio onde voçes gostariam de tar!

Such a voice? his voice is fine, Hop!
    I just shiver sometimes when i hear voices inspiring people.
    Not in movies though. =P

And when are you getting the equipment to provide your voice for the mod? =|
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Quote Originally Posted by U.A.T
    And when are you getting the equipment to provide your voice for the mod? =|
    I don't know, probably I won't...

I'm pretty sure my voice would be a great addition to the mod, though
    Last edited by Korinthos Hoplites; October 17, 2006 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling correction

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Yes, more anger would be appropriate. It sounded a little too happy, but otherwise, it was very good

Also,

a great adiction
    Hahah :tooth: I think the word you're looking for is "addition"... "addiction" means something else entirely Sorry if I'm being picky. Anyway, more samples from the rest of you are definitely welcome.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Quote Originally Posted by Beiss
    Hahah :tooth: I think the word you're looking for is "addition"... "addiction" means something else entirely Sorry if I'm being picky. Anyway, more samples from the rest of you are definitely welcome.
    Thanks for the correction

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

I can help if you want, not on the voice acting part cause Im 16 but maybe with a bit of Latin. Everyone can speak it. I cant make up an entirely new speech cause thats just to hard. I CAN find religous Latin texts though and translate them to english.

Dp whatever you want with me.

Quote Originally Posted by mac89
    I can help if you want, not on the voice acting part cause Im 16 but maybe with a bit of Latin. Everyone can speak it. I cant make up an entirely new speech cause thats just to hard. I CAN find religous Latin texts though and translate them to english.

Dp whatever you want with me.
    Not everyone can speak it. Not the way I want it to sound Also, we don't really have any need for translation from Latin to English, but if you can get help translating things the other way around, that would be greatly appreciated. Like I said earlier, I think it'd be really cool if the priests, for example, would speak Latin for all catholic factions. Since each faction will have its own sound set for their priests (or so I think), we can have them speak Latin with their faction's accent. So if you play the Germans, their priests will speak Latin with a German accent. This is fun AND historically correct, isn't it?
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Not everyone can speak it. Not the way I want it to sound Also, we don't really have any need for translation from Latin to English, but if you can get help translating things the other way around, that would be greatly appreciated. Like I said earlier, I think it'd be really cool if the priests, for example, would speak Latin for all catholic factions. Since each faction will have its own sound set for their priests (or so I think), we can have them speak Latin with their faction's accent. So if you play the Germans, their priests will speak Latin with a German accent. This is fun AND historically correct, isn't it?
    Speaking Latin isnt as hard as you might think, there are no special marks that make you pronounce it differently.
    Anyway translating other way around isnt what many people have attempted, only professors who actually teach it who know the dictionary from heart. I could give it a shot, though it would take a long time on my own. Besides what kind of speeches do you want for them cause Ill bet you could find Latin texts of the crowning of Kings and other events. Unless you want to make them yourself.

Pyrgopolynices, your samples are great ! The only catch is that it sounds indoors with the echoes... You could try recording the real lines in a room with more furniture, or put pillows on the wall or something to break the echo, but I'm more than happy with how they turned out .

Speaking Latin isnt as hard as you might think, there are no special marks that make you pronounce it differently.
    Anyway translating other way around isnt what many people have attempted, only professors who actually teach it who know the dictionary from heart. I could give it a shot, though it would take a long time on my own. Besides what kind of speeches do you want for them cause Ill bet you could find Latin texts of the crowning of Kings and other events. Unless you want to make them yourself.
    Speaking Latin is easy, but doing it right isn't. I think the way that most Americans pronounce it sounds rather hilarious, to be honest. For example, they would pronounce the word "forte" as "fort-ay" with an english "r". English is also a language in which many vowels are diminished. For example, many Americans cannot spell the words "then" and "than" - they pick one or don't know when to use which, because they're both pronounced pretty much the same way. An American can nearly always be identified regardless of what language he's speaking, because this tendency to diminish vowels is very deeply rooted, and it's very difficult to learn to diminish vowels. The same goes with Russians trying to learn not to differentiate between soft and hard vowels the way they do in Russian when speaking English, for example. A Frenchman has a funny way of stressing certain syllables, as do Swedes. The list is endless, and all the above would pronounce Latin their own way.

In Latin, I think all vowels were pronounced distinctively, with a few possible exceptions. I think a Spaniard or an Italian would do much better there. All people in the middle ages pronounced Latin differently, much like English today, but worse... As far as correct pronounciation of Latin goes, the English accent is pretty much as far as you can come from the truth, at least if you limit yourself to Europe.

I don't know where you're from, and I don't doubt your ability to translate things, but when it comes to pronounciation, I think it will be very obvious where people are from when they start speaking Latin. We'll need someone doing the Latin voices for the English, though.

I'll set you up on the list in the first post. Glad you want to help out!

Quote Originally Posted by bovi
    Pyrgopolynices, your samples are great ! The only catch is that it sounds indoors with the echoes... You could try recording the real lines in a room with more furniture, or put pillows on the wall or something to break the echo, but I'm more than happy with how they turned out .
    I thought the echoes were added afterwards as reverb effect. The game will support EAX environmental effects, so we won't need echoes there, but as a sample of what we're aiming for, the echo stays. But yes, once we start doing the actual recordings, everyone will have to think about their "studio environment", hehe Your samples are definitely good enough, quality-wise, Pyrgo.
    Last edited by Beiss; October 18, 2006 at 02:45 PM.

Damn! I've been recording my voice, nothing like what I hear... Maybe it's because of the equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by Corinthian Hoplite
    Damn! I've been recording my voice, nothing like what I hear... Maybe it's because of the equipment?
    I'm not sure what you're saying. You don't like your recordings, or your recordings are not as good as Pyrgo's? Equipment could certainly be part of it.

Your voice is always different from what you hear when you speak. (almost everyone thinks that their voice is strange when they listen to it)
    Ever had Problems when trying to find some good sites about a special period in history on Google?
    Then try looking if the site you need is in Links to History.

I'm not sure what you're saying. You don't like your recordings, or your recordings are not as good as Pyrgo's? Equipment could certainly be part of it.
    My voice sounds much less manly, it looks like a child's voice, but every single one of my friends says I've got a strong voice... Can't understand

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

I'll set you up on the list in the first post. Glad you want to help out!
    Happy to!

Are you gonna set up a forum at the M2TW Modification section?

My voice sounds much less manly, it looks like a child's voice, but every single one of my friends says I've got a strong voice... Can't understand
    Hearing your own voice on tape makes most people feel down. It never sounds like what you thought it would. So anyone who wants to do the recording for this mod better start recording now and get used to their own voice

Happy to!

Are you gonna set up a forum at the M2TW Modification section?
    Yes, as soon as we get a little more people who want to help out, I'll ask for our own sub-forum.

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

Deus Annuit Cœptis.

God bless this undertaking.

My only contribution would be with B. If you need help with practicalities, I can share my/our experiences with the ancient voicemods (which we are still working on). Little things like recording environment, as you have already touched upon in here. I can emphatically tell you that adding echoes is never a good thing to do. You don't need the world's best microphone, but you do need to apply common sense about everything you do, and consider what you're doing and how you're doing it.

I think we can still use Vercingetorix' XIDX extractor with M2TW - as those files (voices#.dat & idx) did not seem different. Indeed, I was able to extract the music from the demo, all into neat little Mp3s for my winamp, so I definitely know it works.

I'll PM you my MSN contact.
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE

Hearing your own voice on tape makes most people feel down. It never sounds like what you thought it would. So anyone who wants to do the recording for this mod better start recording now and get used to their own voice
    I surelly felt down
    My real voice is so much different from what I though it was... I'm ashamed

500th post!

can i be a voice actor for Poland?

I'm 21...please...gimme a try!
    Last edited by Matty_P; October 19, 2006 at 11:30 AM.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind"

Pyrgopolynices's Avatar Campidoctor

Corinthian, if you heard my voice right by my side, you wouldn't believe how strong it is. In fact, I reach some scary db's, which help me somewhat when I'm teaching in classes or acting in theatre .

The thing is, I'm a natural tenor and I reach reasonably high tones. I'm sure I can make my voice sound more aggressive, though.