Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion (Original Mod Thread)

Default Re: XENOPHONIA - the Native Speech mod project

Quote Originally Posted by Beiss
    Any language is welcome, but I am - naturally - more concerned with the ones spoken by the factions that are included with the vanilla version of the game. I agree that modern Danish will feel rather out of place, but I w... huh?

You're not saying you speak non-modern Danish, are you?

Danish, modern or not, must sound very exotic to those who haven't heard it before, which is exactly what I want this mod for - playing a faction who speaks a language you don't understand will make things more interesting, and playing a faction who speaks YOUR language will give you a feeling of... I don't know, it'll be cool either way. :-D

I speak Icelandic, Danish and Swedish.
    And as far as I know, then modern day Icelandic is much more closer to "old Danish" than modern day danish is.

See more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_language
    Ever had Problems when trying to find some good sites about a special period in history on Google?
    Then try looking if the site you need is in Links to History.

U.A.T's Avatar Tiro
    Algarve, um sitio onde voçes gostariam de tar!

I speak Portuguese....
    I might give my voice for a 16 years old general, if you want.
    (Didn't people become adults when they reached 14 back then?)
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

@U.A.T - Damnit, you're right - this mod will sound silly if we have a young person doing the voice for a 60 year-old general. Didn't think of that. Eh, scream for a few days have a few drinks before you do the recording and you'll be all set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan-Taihwo
    And as far as I know, then modern day Icelandic is much more closer to "old Danish" than modern day danish is.

See more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_language
    Interesting... may I ask about the reason for this quadrolinguality? :hmmm: I'm sure you're right, though - since Danish and Swedish are said to have been pretty much the same until the 12th century or so, and since Icelandic is pretty much the same now as back then, I'm sure Icelandic is closer to the truth than modern-day Danish. Icelandic, plain and simple, is probably not going to be accurate enough, however. I have no doubts that you'll be able to adjust your Icelandic into old Danish fairly easy, though. Glad to have you around, Jan.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Interesting... may I ask about the reason for this quadrolinguality?
    excuse me?

Icelandic, plain and simple, is probably not going to be accurate enough, however. I have no doubts that you'll be able to adjust your Icelandic into old Danish fairly easy, though.
    I will, otherwise it would never "fit" into the timeframe.

Glad to have you around, Jan.
    Thank you! :tooth:
    Ever had Problems when trying to find some good sites about a special period in history on Google?

Never heard of being "bilingual"? Quadrolingual: speaking 4 languages - assuming you don't speak even more than Swedish, Danish, Icelandic and English (Latin doesn't seem to be one of them, heheh). So, I was asking you: How come you know all these languages?
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Never heard of being "bilingual"? Quadrolingual: speaking 4 languages - assuming you don't speak even more than Swedish, Danish, Icelandic and English (Latin doesn't seem to be one of them, heheh). So, I was asking you: How come you know all these languages?
    Aha..

Well, I'm Icelandic and I have lived 2 years in Denmark, and 2 and counting in Sweden.
    Knowing english is a bit natural for me (as you learn it very early in school) and I'm also studying German and Japanese. (and did I mention that I can read and listen to Norwegian, since knowing all the other scandinavian languedges. (excluding finnish )

And I'm always wanted to learn latin

Yeah, well, if you can learn Japanese, you can learn Latin...

I love it when people reply this quickly, it's almost like chatting :-D But I have to go now. I hope more people will join us soon. Also, the demo was poo. Cheerio.

NikeBG's Avatar Sampsis

Is that anywhere near the same as medieval Polish/Russian, by any chance?
    Both are old Slavic languages, but Polish differs from the South-Slavic languages even today. Old-Russian, however, should be very close to Old-Bulgarian/Church-Slavonic, especially since even the modern versions of the two languages are quite close to each other. So, I think that Church-Slavonic would do nice enough for the Russian factions (and Bulgarian and Serbian ones for the other mods)...

Thanks.

Cavalier's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Jan-Taihwo
    I'm Swedish and when I hear an icelandic person speak I find it sounding like some sort of mix between norwegian and danish.
    The swedes find it hard to understand what the danes is saying, it sounds like some sort of butter in their throat all the time.
    But, the swedes do find norwegian easy to understand.
    We dont even need to say anything about finland:p

Non-Scandinavians are usually unaware of the fact that Finnish is not related to any of the other Scandinavian languages, though. Oddly enough, the few times I've heard an Icelandic person speak Swedish, they've had the exact same accent as a Finnish person. Weird. Anyway, the kind of Danish that will be spoken in stage 2 of this mod probably won't be understood by hardly anyone (except, perhaps, the few who know both modern day Icelandic and Danish), although some of us will probably be able to recognize a number of words.

Hansa's Avatar Campidoctor

Icelandic by far the best modern contemporary language to represent Denmark, although not the actual language spoken in medieval Denmark, it is as I understand it remarkably similar. Icelandic is even more similar to medieval Norwegian, and very similar to ME Swedish aswell, and could also be used in mods where these factions are represented.

Besides, Icelandic is also far more beautiful than the modern Scandinavian languages.

BTW, a great mod project this, good idea.
    GEIR HASUND!

By the way, though my avatar might indicate so, I am not a citizen of Germany, though my ancestry have a branch in this great nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansa
    Besides, Icelandic is also far more beautiful than the modern Scandinavian languages.
    Now you're being opinionated.
    Last edited by Beiss; October 12, 2006 at 08:31 AM.

Non-Scandinavians are usually unaware of the fact that Finnish is not related to any of the other Scandinavian languages, though. Oddly enough, the few times I've heard an Icelandic person speak Swedish, they've had the exact same accent as a Finnish person. Weird. Anyway, the kind of Danish that will be spoken in stage 2 of this mod probably won't be understood by hardly anyone (except, perhaps, the few who know both modern day Icelandic and Danish), although some of us will probably be able to recognize a number of words.
    Actually, everyone tends to think that I'm Finnish when they hear my Swedish accent.. (Your not the only one :tooth: )

Quote Originally Posted by Hansa
    Icelandic by far the best modern contemporary language to represent Denmark, although not the actual language spoken in medieval Denmark, it is as I understand it remarkably similar. Icelandic is even more similar to medieval Norwegian, and very similar to ME Swedish aswell, and could also be used in mods where these factions are represented.

BTW, a great mod project this, good idea.
    But it would then be smart to try to give each language it's own dialect.

Of course!

But, now that we "sort of" got the language for Denmark, why not aim att getting all the other ones aswell?

We do aim for getting all the other languages as well. If we can skip stage 1 for any langauge, we might as well do it, I think. I'm not stopping you

The first language we can pump out there into the crowd of mods, we'll get lots of people interested in doing the other languages, so start doing research on medieval Danish as soon as you can.

We do aim for getting all the other languages as well. If we can skip stage 1 for any langauge, we might as well do it, I think. I'm not stopping you

The first language we can pump out there into the crowd of mods, we'll get lots of people interested in doing the other languages, so start doing research on medieval Danish as soon as you can.
    Will do.. when I'm not doing something for school.

Same here, man.

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

To those of you who don't know how you can help, this is the help we need:

A. People who speak any of the languages mentioned below (or who can find people who do), and who fit into any or several of the following "slots" (or know someone who does):
    - People with decent recording equipment
    - People who have done army service and are familiar with present-day commands
    - People who know anything about any of the medieval languages mentioned below

B.
    - People who know how to implement the sound files into the actual game
    - People who know how to extract the sound files from the actual game
    I might have a problem with these
    - Decent voice actors (Keep age in mind. Teen voices might sound wimpy on the battlefield)
    I'm a teen but my voice is far from wimpy

Pyrgopolynices's Avatar Campidoctor

I have 29 yo and portuguese is my mother language. Besides, I teach Portuguese Language and have studied Archaic Portuguese Literature too.

Definitely interested in this.

edit: I'm 29, not 28, lol.

Korinthos Hoplites's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrgopolynices
    I have 28 yo and portuguese is my mother language. Besides, I teach Portuguese Language and have studied Archaic Portuguese Literature too.

Definitely interested in this.

Though I wouldn't recognise you? :tooth: