Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Unit Overhaul v4.0 (Jan 26, 2015)

Default Re: Western Unit Overhaul v1.0

I have almost finished the next version. It now contains many more units (over 30 new units i think), covering faction specific units and higher tier armours (partial plate). I would say it will be released sometime this week or early next week. I have yet to do unit cards... which is quite time consuming.

SuperTechmarine,
    All units have different models for each armour upgrade.

cmac1027,
    Check the first post in BB thread. Taiji mentions disabling UAC and some other stuff that is to be done to avoid ctds. Implementing this for other mods is quite tedious, and is not my objective at the moment. Since i started playing DLV, except one campaign, i always played it with BB, so i do not even know how much different the original is.

Sandy

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Wonderfull ! This is what I was waiting for to start a new DLV campaign !

This is crazy, M2TW will never let me go !
    Last edited by Yerevan; February 26, 2014 at 02:53 AM.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

clone's Avatar Primicerius

GeMiNi][SaNDy

when are you going to fix the archer thing because now more archers have this problem (baltic archers , eastern roman one)
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

clone,
    On the previous page i attached a temporary EDU fix. Simply download it and paste into your DLV_ext/data folder.

Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by GeMiNi][SaNDy View Post
    clone,
    On the previous page i attached a temporary EDU fix. Simply download it and paste into your DLV_ext/data folder.

Sandy
    i already did
    When a nation forgets her skill in war, when her religion becomes a mockery, when the whole nation becomes a nation of money-grabbers, then the wild tribes, the barbarians drive in... Who will our invaders be? From whence will they come?”
    Robert E. Howard

New fix attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Awesome, just plain awesome . One question though, have you considered doing an update that includes some of the Eastern Roman Latin units as well? Like the Latinkon and Allamanoi? Just Wondering.

An update, finished integrating all the units and fixed most of the glitches and bugs. Only unit cards left.

b257,
    Sorry, not interested in doing byzantine, mainly because it is not worth the effort to make units for one faction. Also there are some custom units made for them by other mods.

Sandy

b257,
    Sorry, not interested in doing byzantine, mainly because it is not worth the effort to make units for one faction. Also there are some custom units made for them by other mods.

Sandy
    That's cool, just wondering.

I have almost finished the next version. It now contains many more units (over 30 new units i think), covering faction specific units and higher tier armours (partial plate). I would say it will be released sometime this week or early next week. I have yet to do unit cards...

that is great. when do you thing that you will be able to fix the archer problem (without removing the bowstring animation)
    Robert E. Howard

clone,
    I did not remove any bowstring animations. All the bowman animations are working as intended. Units introduced by this mod have bowstring animations, vanilla units don't. I fixed the unintended flying bows resulted due to Taiji's standardization of animations, of which i was unaware at the moment of release.

Some of the high tier units:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sandy
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; February 28, 2014 at 11:00 AM.

I like those units. But the "azur" * and "gueule" (french name of the blue and red colors used in heraldry) are not dark enough on the knight's horses, IMHO :-)

* the azur on the capetian armcoat's is more like navy blue. Like on the banners. Maybe your men in arms could have darker colors too. But I suppose the question of colors quickly becomes a personal matter.

I usually love darker colors like in bellum cruscis or WOTW which I prefer to the pale, washed out colors of the vanilla.
    Last edited by Yerevan; February 28, 2014 at 11:20 AM.

Would you allow these units to be used in SS? PB added BC and Magyar Mod units to the RR/RC Compilation and the Western factions would benefit greatly from your work.

Congrats, great preview.

Something about the french royal banner.
    The one of 1350's, according Froissart, writting is ""Joie Sanh Denys". Which is a shortened form of ""MontJoie Saint-Denis"", the french King's warcry.
    "Cascun s'en vay avan lay on era noyris, E Karle s'en anet al mostier sanh Denys""
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

"MontJoie"(from the francique "mund-gawi") means something like "Protect the country". Mund=Protect, Gawi/Gau=Country.
    Anyway its very obscure.

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

i want to report a small glitch. the second version of spear milicia didn´t hold the bigger shields, only the round one´s are present.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spear miliz ohne schild.jpg  

_Tartaros_, thanks. I didn't notice. Fixed.

About the horses and banners, those are vanilla, i will not touch them in the v2.0 to come in the next few days. I agree that colors should be darker, but we will see how it plays out. Although i am trying to make all the armours and weapons historically accurate, it is really hard to catch that balance between playability and history. For instance, the colors have to be distinct between factions, be they realistic or not. Armies certainly did not use only particular type of weapon, armour or shields, but they must be distinct from unit to unit to be able to identify them and make them unique on the battlefield. Also, having all the banners and heraldry match the history is impractical. Who is going to spend time researching and getting reference images? I certainly am not. This is not the objective of the mod, for the time being at least. I really appreciate the comments though.

Sandy
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; March 01, 2014 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VINC.XXIII View Post
    "MontJoie"(from the francique "mund-gawi") means something like "Protect the country". Mund=Protect, Gawi/Gau=Country.
    Anyway its very obscure.
    Waw, this is deep stuff.

@ GeMiNi][SaNDy your work is awesome, don't mind the nitpicking
    Last edited by Yerevan; March 02, 2014 at 03:55 AM.

Version 2.0 is out. I made a promise but it was impossible to release this any sooner. I was modding everyday for the past two weeks to get this out by these weekends. Almost 400 unit cards... testing and all the glitches here and there.

DOWNLOAD

Added a lot more units. Now literally 80-90% of western units are completely new from scratch. Some units like teutonic knights, templars, and some higher tier units have not been touched. I will add screenshots and description soon.

Sandy

Thank you for your fantastic work! keep them coming!

Version 2.0 is out. I made a promise but it was impossible to release this any sooner. I was modding everyday for the past two weeks to get this out by these weekends. Almost 400 unit cards... testing and all the glitches here and there.

DOWNLOAD

Added a lot more units. Now literally 80-90% of western units are completely new from scratch. Some units like teutonic knights, templars, and some higher tier units have not been touched. I will add screenshots and description soon.

Sandy
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.