Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Unit Overhaul v4.0 (Jan 26, 2015)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Western Unit Overhaul v4.0 (Jan 26, 2015)

This is the Western Unit Overhaul for Deus lo Vult + Battle Balance. It replaces most of the vanilla units covering 12-14th centuries. The underrated Deus lo Vult deserves this much for many hours of fun it provided to many people.

The main additions in v4.0 are incorporation of Real Shields Project by nikossaiz and importing of Marka horses with new textures. The main theme was to make the battlefield more colorful. This version is made compatible with DLV BB 4.36, has a simple installer and a new icon for DLV BB!

Below are some screenshots and unit cards for selected factions:

Marka Horses and Real Shields in v4.0

Stratmap Captain, General, Heir and King

Demonstration of Lower LOD Models

Denmark vs Venice

Mercenaries

England vs France

England vs HRE

14th Century Units

Unit Cards

Units Affected Melee:
    Peasants, Siege Crew, Pisan and Genoese Sailors, Levy Spearmen, Town Militia, Spear Militia, Sergeant Spearmen, Armored Sergeants, Sergeant Swordsmen, Mercenary Spearmen, Billmen, Bill Militia, Heavy Billmen, Heavy Bill Militia, Guisarme Militia, Goedendag Militia, Badelaar Militia, Pike Militia, Sergeant Poleaxes, Halberd Militia, Swordsmen Militia, Flemish Pikemen, Scots Pike Militia, Pavise Spearmen, Italian Militia, Italian Spear Militia, Papal Guard, Carroccio Standard, Voulge Militia, Voulgier, Swabian Swordsmen, Gentry (Armored) Swordsmen, Venetian Heavy Infantry, Norse Swordsmen, Norse Axemen, Axemen, Viking Riders, Dism. Huscarls, Dism. Mailed Knights, Dism. Feudal Knights, Dism. Chivalric Knights, Dism. Noble Knights, Dism. Norman Knights, Dism. English Knights, Dism. Imperial Knights

Ranged:

Peasant Archers, Archer Militia, Peasant Crossbowmen, Crossbow Militia, Longbowmen, Crossbowmen, Pavise Crossbowmen, Pavise Crossbow Militia, Genoese Crossbowmen, Genoese Crossbow Militia, Javelinmen, Lusitanian Javelinmen, Almughavars, Yeomen Archers (Dismounted Longbowmen), Norse Archers

Mounted:
    Mounted Sergeants, Hobilars, Border Horse, Jinetes, Irish Cavalry, Merchant Cavalry Militia, Scouts, Italian Cavalry Militia, Italian Man at Arms, Huscarls, NE Bodyguard, SE Bodyguard, Mailed Knights, Feudal Knights, Chivalric Knights, Noble Knights, Norman Knights, English Knights, Imperial Knights

Mercenaries:
    Mercenary Pavise Crossbowmen, Mercenary Knights, Dism. Mercenary Knights, Mercenary German Knights, Dism. Mercenary German Knights, Flemish Pikemen Mercs, Free Company Men at Arms, Catalans, Irish Kerns, Pilgrims, Religious Fanatics, Flagellants, Welsh Spearmen, Mercenary Spearmen, Mercenary Frankish Knights, Dism. Frankish Knights, Mercenary Crossbowmen, Welsh Longbowmen, Free Company Longbowmen

Factions Affected:
    England, Scotland, Norway, Denmark, France, Crusader States, Ireland, Holy Roman Empire, Flanders, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Lithuania, Hungary, Milan, Venice, Papal States, Sicily, Armenia, Mercenaries, Indie Kingdoms

Download Links & Instructions DOWNLOAD v4.0 (Full) from ModDB

To install:
    simply run the installer and locate your "...Medieval II Total War/mods/DLV_ext" folder. Launch from desktop shortcut.

Important! For those who do not have DLV, first install:

- DLV + BB4.36: CLICK

Please read the installation instructions for DLV and Battle Balance carefully to avoid any future ctds.

DOWNLOAD Battlemap CTD FIX by teenspeedy1 (Not all experience this CTD, install if you experience CTD when fielding 2H axemen of any sort). To install overwrite the battle_models.modeldb in DLV_ext/data/unit_models.

Compatibility DLV + BB4.36 (save-compatible with BB4.35)
    Starting a new campaign is not required. In theory this is a purely aesthetic mod and should not affect any scripts or campaign files. However, so much has been changed in EDU and modeldb files, that I would suggest to start a new campaign.

Open Source Files & Usage Policy (for Fellow Modders) It is an open source material, as long as appropriate credit is given and the work is not attributed to someone else.

DOWNLOAD v2.0 (Source Files)

You can also find the unit table pdf attached with detailed armour levels and model directory information. It can be handy when transferring units from to another mod and navigating in edu and modelsdb.

All the models and textures are made from scratch (not a vertex nor a pixel is from anywhere else). I cannot guarantee that the .psd files will work on other machines.

Changelog v1.0
    - Basic new units for 12-13th century (peasant, sergeant, knights, etc)

v2.0-2.3
    - Many new units, mostly 14th century (mercenaries, knights)
    - Unit icons for all units- bug fixes (missing textures, mesh files, parts of models, animations etc)

v3.0
    - New stratmap models for western factions (captain, general, heir, king)
    - New (800+) sprites for all units
    - Lower lods for most basic units (better performance)
    - Reworked most knights models and textures
    - Reworked armour levels of some units (eg: chainmail is not available to peasant units anymore)
    - Many fixes of missing models and textures causing ctd, also some missing unit icons were fixed
    - New units: Goedendag and Badelaar Militia

v4.0
    - Included Real Shields project
    - Imported Marka horses and animations (new colourful barding textures)
    - New bannermen for most factions (same banners, no more vanilla troops holding banners)
    - More variation in some units (e.g. pavise shields for italian spear militia)
    - New main menu screen
    - Main menu UI fix
    - New DLV BB icon
    - Bug fixes, missing textures, etc

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated. Please report any glitches and ctds.

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails western_units_overhaul_v3.0_units_table.pdf   western_units_overhaul_v2.0_units_table.pdf  
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; November 16, 2016 at 09:27 AM.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Western Unit Overhaul v1.0

Nice work on the units and congrats for the release! +rep

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

I just checked out the English Town Militia, Militia Sergeants and Peasant Archers in battle and they are awesome!

Amazing work, Sandy!

nikossaiz's Avatar Decanus

very good work! may i ask for a permition to change the texture for some units? especialy the feudal knights ( more variety of colours and heraldical shields )

Thanks for all your support. There is little to none motivation to mod unless people appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by nikossaiz View Post
    very good work! may i ask for a permition to change the texture for some units? especialy the feudal knights ( more variety of colours and heraldical shields )
    You can do whatever you want with them. I do not intend to introduce a great variety with historically accurate patterns, simply because it is tedious and nigh impossible to find any reference. It is possible to introduce more colors though on top of the current textures. After i release the source files you can change colors with a click of a mouse, literally. I have not yet decided whether i should release full .psd files, i probably will.
    Could you do the Eastern Roman Empire too please?
    I think ERE has many custom made units like stoogeofstooges has pointed out. I do not plan to work on them.

More units to come soon.

Sandy

I thank you and especially for your desision to make your Great work an open source! i will try them out instantly!

great work Sandy !

bobbyr's Avatar Semisalis

Great work, the units look fantastic!

stoogeofstooges's Avatar Decanus

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
    Great work, the units look fantastic!

If you're looking for a good Byzantine Empire roster, check out the Kommenian roster in the stainless steel sub mod forum. If you want to use the units in DLV, you'll have to do some manual implementation of the models and textures.

Is there any chance the units will be made compatible with vanilla bow animations? I have banzai's crossbow string animations, but his animation pack doesn't have the complete set of longbow or short bow string animations so they haven't been working.

In case of DLV + BB all the Banzai string animations for bow, crossbow and some Rusichi animations such as 2h axes, spears have been implemented long ago. I simply had to assign the new animations to archers. All the archer models were made with hidden arrows in their hands. In your case, you would need to reassign the bows to bone_lhand and hidden arrows to bone_rhand in Milkshape. Models can work fine, but they will glitch with vanilla animations (MTW2_Bowman or MTW2_Fast_Bowman) unless you reassign them to regular vanilla skeleton bones. If you want me to upload all the archer meshes fixed for vanilla animations let me know.

Sandy

I have also a weird problem with models. Longbowmen and ( only ) merc crossbowmen seems to have black 3d strings that explode all around them when i move the camera. I have the dlv + bb animations, i dont know wht realy cause it. And one suggestion : i think that the model from your workshop, the "european knights" that is showned to your profil banner suits better for the "feudal knight unit" ( with big helmets the only difference ).

I have also a weird problem with models. Longbowmen and ( only ) merc crossbowmen seems to have black 3d strings that explode all around them when i move the camera. I have the dlv + bb animations, i dont know wht realy cause it. And one suggestion : i think that the model from your workshop, the "european knights" that is showned to your profil banner suits better for the "feudal knight unit" ( with big helmets the only difference ).
    Sounds like an animation problem. I have the same exact issue with the peasant archers because I don't have banzai's longbow animation, but the crossbowmen work fine since I have Banzai's crossbow animations. You may have to re-install DLV if something happened with the animations, though I'm not entirely sure. Can you post a screenshot?

EDIT: Sandy, if you would be able to supply me with the archer meshes that would work with vanilla M2TW animations, that would be amazing. Crossbowmen are fine though. Once again, fine work.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

I have also a weird problem with models. Longbowmen and ( only ) merc crossbowmen seems to have black 3d strings that explode all around them when i move the camera. I have the dlv + bb animations, i dont know wht realy cause it.
    Using the wrong animations would cause that.

1) make sure you have the animations folder and descr_skel (probably fine already)

2) make sure the bmdb references them correctly, as per descr_skel (probably fine here too)

3) make sure the 'soldier' line in EDU references the correct battle_model (this is where I'd anticipate a mess up since very few people seem to know this)
    Last edited by Taiji; February 11, 2014 at 02:59 PM.

I have just run a few battles with all the longbow and crossbow units including merc crossbows and welsh longbowmen. None gave me any glitches at any angles of camera. Can you please provide more information on this? A screenshot would be ideal.

In any case, this has to do with new animations, or rather the models that do not fit into new animations. I will post a new version soon, where this bug will be eliminated. Anybody got similar issues?

Sandy
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; February 11, 2014 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeMiNi][SaNDy View Post
    I have just run a few battles with all the longbow and crossbow units including merc crossbows and welsh longbowmen. None gave me any glitches at any angles of camera. Can you please provide more information on this? A screenshot would be ideal.

Sandy
    I will look to it, i have install many mods but all of them have seperate folders , maybe something has been interfere with dlv files?

Those are crossbow mercs, except the "strings" parts of the crossbows seem floating
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  

well i look the models file and for longbowmen you have

" 1 4 None
    22 MTW2_Longbowman_String
    14 MTW2_Fast_Mace
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary
    14 fs_test_shield
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary
    14 fs_test_shield
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 "

i look back on a Dlv + the latest bb and it has this

" 1
    4 None
    16 MTW2_Fast_Bowman
    19 MTW2_Adv_Non_Shield
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 '

I change it and the big mess with the model seem to exploed gone, i still see part of the crossbows floating though, something with bones assigment?

and If i understand correctly you make the archers pull the bows' string , but since when bb change the animations? i thought i tryed them all.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

well i look the models file and for longbowmen you have

" 1 4 None
    22 MTW2_Longbowman_String
    14 MTW2_Fast_Mace
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary
    14 fs_test_shield
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary
    14 fs_test_shield
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 "

i look back on a Dlv + the latest bb and it has this

" 1
    4 None
    16 MTW2_Fast_Bowman
    19 MTW2_Adv_Non_Shield
    19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 '

I change it and the big mess with the model seem to exploed gone, i still see part of the crossbows floating though, something with bones assigment?

and If i understand correctly you make the archers pull the bows' string , but since when bb change the animations? i thought i tryed them all.
    BB doesn't have that animation set for longbows - Must be some confusion at your end, Nikos.

Also 'animations' is mentioned ~20 times in the changelog for BB - You can check it out, if you like.
    Last edited by Taiji; February 12, 2014 at 04:51 AM.

nikossaiz,

BB includes new animations that are needed for these models to work properly. Do you have BB (Battle Balance - Taiji's Mod) installed? The pack was designed for BB4.23 onwards. Most people, including me, play BB. This clearly has to do with animations, since the models i put up are the same with what i have and i get no such issues.

As for the feudal knights, sorry, i did not understand what you mean.

Can someone else confirm whether the problem exists on other computers or only on nikossaiz's system?

stoogeofstooges,

If i understood correctly, you want to implement the models in a different mod. Then the mod must have the proper animations. To check you can open "descr_skeleton" in your mod/data folder. Look for MTW2_Longbowman_String, MTW2_Shortbowman_String, and MTW2_Crossbow_String. If they don't exist, then i can release models that suit vanilla animations (i.e. no animated strings). But first please check your animations.

In the mean time i am adding more units. Mostly mercs, some faction-specific units, and most importantly bodyguards. If i have enough time i will include armour level 4 and 5 plate mail.

Sandy
    Last edited by G|I|Sandy; February 11, 2014 at 06:18 PM.

Yes, i'm using bb all the way! Maybe because i do some heavy moding myself ( not on animations though ), i make something wrong without understanding it. Maybe also, because in the past i used some other mods, those altered files direct from the vanilla tw2 folder ( not the "mod" folder ) and something messed up? I had a fresh install of MT2 but i have the "dlv + bb" as files ( yes, all 7 gigabyte ) in my 2nd hard drive and i simply copy paste it in the mod folder. Maybe an other mod in the past interfere with dlv files without know it. I will make also a fresh dlv + bb during the day and i let you know! i didnt think that you made anything wrong on your work with the models, direct from the start.
    About the feudal knights, i strongly recommend to make them all wear cloaks ( or mantle, i dont know which word is more apropriate ) with different pattern or colors, in order to distinguish them from the sergeants or other non feudal units. The upgreat model of them should be more plate cover over mail and for sure not wearing jackets, which was used from sergeants and lesser units.

Also i recomend for the almogavars a more savage appearence ( type "almogavars" on google to see what i mean ) and non the typical "town militia" appearence.
    Anyway you have done more than i hoped so so far and these are just suggestions

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast