Page 5 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman vs Superman Teaser Trailer released

Default Re: Jesse Eisenberg cast as Lex Luthor for Batman vs Superman

To quote a comment from youtube:
    To me Jesse Eisenberg is just a small step up from Michael Cera. That is: in the way they look like they are eternally 17 (well, Michael Cera looks 12 - but that is besides the point). Lex Luther should be 30+ not 20-25. With all due respect to Jesse Eisenberg though. I actually think he is a really good actor albeit a type cast for a lot of his roles. God damn them for ruining the real life image of batman for me with this damn movie. Sad face.
    I actually always thought they were the same guy, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    She should still have some kind of physique. It's a bit of a head scratcher. Gal Gadot is stick thin. And no one is talking about bodybuilder status females. Women with muscles ARE attractive, increasingly so these days in fact. And it would be refreshing to see Hollywood support that for a change, instead of the typical rail thin girl who kicks ass. Regardless of her 'magic powers', it's tiresome. Women can have some muscle on their bodies and still look great. In fact, they're liable to look better naked than 'skinny' girls, because they are toned and have nice asses (if they squat). Women are always complaining about how they get the chicken arms and the flab and what not, no kidding. Walking on the tread mill isn't going to help with any of that. More women should lift, and Wonder Woman can be their role model to do it. Fitness models are usually a good middle ground between musculature and attractiveness.
    It's not even that; I know a lot of women with a normal figure whose muscles (especially abs and the like) are only showing when flexed, and they are reasonably strong for their size and gender. But Hollywood and co. want to make us believe that women with size zero (i.e. neither body fat nor muscles) are a) sexy and b) physically capable, neither of which is the case.

Which in reality is far harder to attain than any female celebrity's body at any given time. But men simply don't care. We don't feel that pressure.
    I'd argue that most men do feel the pressure, with the exception of those whose job includes fitness training (i.e. people who work in the military, in professional sports, or in some outdoor jobs).

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Lol i guess you guys never seen a marathon runner, they are more fit, then alot of muscle ladies, and they still are skinny, being able to do athletic stuff, is one thing, to look fit, is another i guess, and it has alot to do with genetics, the natural form of the person, then actual any other thing.
    Marathon runners aren't "skinny", they simply have a wiry frame and still a relatively high amount of muscles compared to their total body weight. The same cannot be said for the ladies considered pretty by Hollywood or by the fashion industry, who basically consist of bones and little else.

Muscular women are not more attractive than thin women. That's absurd. Some small part of the population may prefer it. A larger part dislike it. The majority are probably indifferent as so far as a case by case basis is required.
    You are going to far , Gal Gadot is just to skinny , if she was at least "average" everything would be okay .Wonder Woman just needs to be decently weighed , maybe as Xena , and she was hot yet physically menacing .
    Again anybody else here bothered by the fact that G.G. has 0% charisma and 0% acting ability ?

I think in this day and age there is plenty of women that are considered sex symbols and have healthy weight .
    Just look at most of the Victoria's Secret , or Sports Illustrated , or Beyonce , the list could go on and on .
    If anything man prefer them way more than Gal Gadot type of body .
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; February 05, 2014 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
    True, so it's a wonder why they got a skin-and-bones, non-athlete model to play something that needs more mass and a believable physique. Gadot isn't athletic, she's just a skeleton. Just look at her for chrissakes, it's the worst miscasting since Affleck as Batman
    It's not a miscast until you see how it's played, much less until you see rumors drop of if she's doing any training for a few months with a trainer and a nutritionist before filming. You're just panicking now. It's hilarious. Women are just as capable of doing an appropriately healthy buildup for a role as men. This isn't the same as the mudpit arguments for putting females on the front line in the military for their damn career here. This is a few months of working out for a few weeks of video shoots and acting. Having her get in a certain kind of shape for a role in a healthy fashion? It can be done. And not a damn person but you would have the balls to argue with me here.

Like I've said about five earlier times, half the roles dropped in this thread are rehashes of Heath Ledger's casting for the joker. People panicked until they saw him on the damn screen.

I'm seeing the same with Jesse Eisenberg. Go watch the Social Network and Now You See Me, where he's playing a more ruthless character that's either a businessman or a showman. Combine the character types together. Shift that over to a younger form of Lex Luthor, because, as I said, this may be pushed off as right after what is essentially Superman Begins for all that Batman may be older. He may not care about Superman at the start of the movie, but it will probably end with him having a grudge. And I'll bet money on it.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    It's not a miscast until you see how it's played, much less until you see rumors drop of if she's doing any training for a few months with a trainer and a nutritionist before filming. You're just panicking now. It's hilarious. Women are just as capable of doing an appropriately healthy buildup for a role as men. This isn't the same as the mudpit arguments for putting females on the front line in the military for their damn career here. This is a few months of working out for a few weeks of video shoots and acting. Having her get in a certain kind of shape for a role in a healthy fashion? It can be done. And not a damn person but you would have the balls to argue with me here.

Like I've said about five earlier times, half the roles dropped in this thread are rehashes of Heath Ledger's casting for the joker. People panicked until they saw him on the damn screen.

I'm seeing the same with Jesse Eisenberg. Go watch the Social Network and Now You See Me, where he's playing a more ruthless character that's either a businessman or a showman. Combine the character types together. Shift that over to a younger form of Lex Luthor, because, as I said, this may be pushed off as right after what is essentially Superman Begins for all that Batman may be older. He may not care about Superman at the start of the movie, but it will probably end with him having a grudge. And I'll bet money on it.
    Hes the same character in every movie hes in, he makes the same facial expression throughout the movie whether he's sad, happy, angry or trying to intimidate people. They didn't hire Jesse Eisenberg to be Lex Luthor they hired Jess Eisenberg to be Jesse Eisenberg. There's no way hes gonna come on screen and people are gonna forget his past performances. I think its the exact opposite of Heath Ledger in fact they don't want him to morph into the role, they want him to be the role. HL was not HL for the duration of the Dark Knight but Eisenberg will forever be himself in this movie. Just mark my words. We will see

If they were going for self righteous p*&^k then they definitely picked the right actor
    Last edited by RedGuard; February 05, 2014 at 03:54 PM.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    She should still have some kind of physique. It's a bit of a head scratcher. Gal Gadot is stick thin. And no one is talking about bodybuilder status females. Women with muscles ARE attractive, increasingly so these days in fact. And it would be refreshing to see Hollywood support that for a change, instead of the typical rail thin girl who kicks ass. Regardless of her 'magic powers', it's tiresome. Women can have some muscle on their bodies and still look great. In fact, they're liable to look better naked than 'skinny' girls, because they are toned and have nice asses (if they squat). Women are always complaining about how they get the chicken arms and the flab and what not, no kidding. Walking on the tread mill isn't going to help with any of that. More women should lift, and Wonder Woman can be their role model to do it. Fitness models are usually a good middle ground between musculature and attractiveness.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'm not saying I'm opposed, but these existing attitudes must be based on some sort of popular preferences.

Not saying either of them should be cast, only saying women can put on muscles and still look great. In fact for a while Jessica Biel was rocking a muscular physique. So the question is will they actually put Gal Gadot through an intense workout routine and will she actually bulk up a bit? Or are they just relying on a thin frame and pretty face per usual? My guess is the latter. I just think it's funny how women decry this sort of thing in films and state there is all this pressure for them to be skinny... cause you know, this is so much different for guys:

Which in reality is far harder to attain than any female celebrity's body at any given time. But men simply don't care. We don't feel that pressure. Nevertheless, women can still learn a thing of two from a beauty on screen that has some muscle and it might help to dispel some common misconceptions among them about weight training. Beyond that, if Hugh Jackman could get yoked up more and more for each Wolverine role then certainly we should be able to expect the same for a woman playing Wonder Woman. She doesn't have to be an MMA star. She just has to pick up a weight.
    Agreed. Society wants men to be in difficult to attain fitness. But we don't care because we're realistic and notice that we're competing with the other schlubs who aren't trying either, not the guy whose muscles are trying to escape his skin, as cool as we know it would be to look like that we can't be bothered. Anyhow I expect them to have her bulk up, but maybe I'm an optimist.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    You are going to far , Gal Gadot is just to skinny , if she was at least "average" everything would be okay .Wonder Woman just needs to be decently weighed , maybe as Xena , and she was hot yet physically menacing .
    Again anybody else here bothered by the fact that G.G. has 0% charisma and 0% acting ability ?
    What does she need it for? She's at best a secondary character if not merely a cameo. Let's be honest this movie is going to bomb...

I think in this day and age there is plenty of women that are considered sex symbols and have healthy weight .
    Just look at most of the Victoria's Secret , or Sports Illustrated , or Beyonce , the list could go on and on .
    If anything man prefer them way more than Gal Gadot type of body .
    I like being able to circumnavigate a waist with my hands. Makes me feel big. Beyonce was hot like 10 years ago.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

What does she need it for? She's at best a secondary character if not merely a cameo. Let's be honest this movie is going to bomb...
    Its a springboard. They hope to make a franchise out of her.She wont have a big role, but might have in the future if things goes well, which...

Let's be honest this movie is going to bomb...
    Yeah I don't have high hopes either. At best it will be on par with the regular marvel flick, at worst, an unfocused mess.

Soviet's Avatar Campidoctor

It's not a miscast until you see how it's played, much less until you see rumors drop of if she's doing any training for a few months with a trainer and a nutritionist before filming. You're just panicking now. It's hilarious. Women are just as capable of doing an appropriately healthy buildup for a role as men. This isn't the same as the mudpit arguments for putting females on the front line in the military for their damn career here. This is a few months of working out for a few weeks of video shoots and acting. Having her get in a certain kind of shape for a role in a healthy fashion? It can be done.
    Certain female body types can gain mass, yes. Gadot and other models are chosen to be models because of how thin they can be. She might look muscular, in the same way that a 7 foot basketball player is muscular, thin and bare-bones (disregarding Shaq anyways). Regardless, I can't think of any monumental weight gains/losses that any woman has gone through to prepare for a role. McConaughey and Bale sure do, but Meryl or Amy Adams sure as hell don't do any of that to prepare. It's usually make-up and little else

Gadot has even said in an interview that she is of the "new world" which is such an unbelievable cop-out it's insane:
    "Hmm. I represent the Wonder Women of the new world. Breasts... anyone can buy for 9,000 shekels [Ed: Israeli currency] and everything is fine. By the way, Wonder Woman is amazonian, and historically accurate amazonian women actually had only one breast. So, if I'd really go "by the book"...it'd be problematic."
    http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/76...-gal-gadot.htm
    She says she will gain mass, but she isn't physically built to

And not a damn person but you would have the balls to argue with me here.
    Is your girlfriend/wife trying to gain weight or something? Go take a nap, calm down, and then come back when you're ready

Affleck is flat and emotionless, Cavill is underwhelming in an already underwhelming movie, Eisenberg is typecast for a reason, and true, we don't know how Gadot will be, but considering she's only had bit parts in things like the Fast & Furious movies, I'm not holding my breath

You mean his two roles that are exactly the same as all of his other ones? The guy has no range, whereas Heath absolutely did 10-fold. If you thought either of those roles were intimidating in the slightest, I don't know how you could work out at a gym without getting frightened. He's not intimidating, and this Lex of the "new world" is lame as can be. Who really wants a technogeek, baby-faced Luthor?
    Last edited by Soviet; February 06, 2014 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
    Gadot has even said in an interview that she is of the "new world" which is such an unbelievable cop-out it's insane:
    http://www.kpopstarz.com/articles/76...-gal-gadot.htm
    She says she will gain mass, but she isn't physically built to
    "Hmm. I represent the Wonder Women of the new world. Breasts... anyone can buy for 9,000 shekels [Ed: Israeli currency] and everything is fine. By the way, Wonder Woman is amazonian, and historically accurate amazonian women actually had only one breast. So, if I'd really go "by the book"...it'd be problematic."

Historically accurate amazonian women didn't exist. They are a fairy tale. Also, there are a lot of statues/pictures from ancient Greece of Amazons with both breasts intact.
    Gotta love celebrity half knowledge...

You mean his two roles that are exactly the same as all of his other ones? The guy has no range, whereas Heath absolutely did 10-fold. If you thought either of those roles were intimidating in the slightest, I don't know how you could work out at a gym without getting frightened. He's not intimidating, and this Lex of the "new world" is lame as can be. Who really wants a technogeek, baby-faced Luthor?
    Well, let's just wait and see. If he fails, you can say "I told you so"...

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Well, let's just wait and see. If he fails, you can say "I told you so"...
    Personally I'm going to keep goading him into panicking, because it's hilarious.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

I actually always thought they were the same guy, lol.
    Same here, I seen Juno years ago, and ever since (Until five minutes ago when I goggle the cast names)then, I thought they were the same person.

Anyway, I really can't see Eisenberg as Lex Luthor. But hey, if he can play the role greatly, I won't complained as it will benefits my enjoyment and the movie too.

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

Soviet's Avatar Campidoctor

Personally I'm going to keep goading him into panicking, because it's hilarious.
    Oh so you've been trolling the whole time? That explains it. Regardless, I don't think I'm panicking, I've viewed this movie as a wreck from the very start and am excited to see how terrible the end product ends up. As soon as the guy below gets cast as Nightwing, I'll have all the validation I need:

might as well bring Chris ODonnell back as Robin, as this movie is going the way of Batman/Robin mark my words. Their trying to shoehorn too many characters in. I thought this was supposed to be Man of Steel 2 not Justice League Begins?
    Last edited by RedGuard; February 06, 2014 at 12:38 PM.

Citizen

It's not a miscast until you see how it's played, much less until you see rumors drop of if she's doing any training for a few months with a trainer and a nutritionist before filming. You're just panicking now. It's hilarious. Women are just as capable of doing an appropriately healthy buildup for a role as men. This isn't the same as the mudpit arguments for putting females on the front line in the military for their damn career here. This is a few months of working out for a few weeks of video shoots and acting. Having her get in a certain kind of shape for a role in a healthy fashion? It can be done.
    Can be done? That depends on her ability to put on muscle.

Which brings the question: Why not hire a strong actress in the first place? Instead of relying on this fashion model getting fit in time?

And not a damn person but you would have the balls to argue with me here.
    Lol are you desperate or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Lol are you desperate or something?
    Hell if there isn't a crapton of precedent of working out for a role. Like I said, this ain't a 'put the women on the front line of the military' thread. Try and say it is.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

What Pasan said , but I would add that you have a very bad attitude about movies if you think that secondary characters should be acted by anyone . I think the movie with Batman and Superman would have to be so so so Incredibly horrible to not make at least 400-500M .

Hell if there isn't a crapton of precedent of working out for a role. Like I said, this ain't a 'put the women on the front line of the military' thread. Try and say it is.
    I say it is, but then again I have no idea what your talking about. Jess Eisenberg is a crap actor you can no way compare him to Heath that at the time of DK already had a Knights tale, Brokeback Mtn, Patriot among other roles under his belt. He was an up and coming actor it was only a matter of time until he got abreak out role. Gal is very underwhelming and has only been in a few things, Affleck is a far better director than he is actor, The Rock will just move on from this role to another action movie, Jeremy Irons has had as many dubious roles as he has good ones etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by RedGuard View Post
    I say it is, but then again I have no idea what your talking about. Jess Eisenberg is a crap actor you can no way compare him to Heath that at the time of DK already had a Knights tale, Brokeback Mtn, Patriot among other roles under his belt. He was an up and coming actor it was only a matter of time until he got abreak out role. Gal is very underwhelming and has only been in a few things, Affleck is a far better director than he is actor, The Rock will just move on from this role to another action movie, Jeremy Irons has had as many dubious roles as he has good ones etc.....
    I'm comparing them to Heath because everybody was panicking when Heath was cast as the Joker saying that it was horrible casting and that he shouldn't have been cast as the joker. He blindsided everybody when The Dark Knight came out. So everybody acting like a bomb threat just went off with this casting, especially when a woman is merely thin(she can put muscle on, it's called working out and getting into a certain kind of shape for a role, good and bad, many have done it), and another is just mostly in movies they don't care for, is hilariously funny.

Frankly though, I'm agreeing on Affleck. The movies he's really acted good, really acted good, are where he was directing as well. If he ain't directing, I don't want him playing Batman of all roles.

Jeremy Irons, you can claim dubious roles if you want to, but there's one thing to say about him. He played those dubious roles well. Even the damn sorcerer in DnD. Hilariously evil. Fun! He can play Alfred(look to how he played Aramis and Rodrigo Borgia if you want a legit example for a serious type like Alfred).
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Citizen

I say it is, but then again I have no idea what your talking about. Jess Eisenberg is a crap actor you can no way compare him to Heath that at the time of DK already had a Knights tale, Brokeback Mtn, Patriot among other roles under his belt. He was an up and coming actor it was only a matter of time until he got abreak out role.

I dunno. I think he is going to be a very "Jess Eisenberg" Luthor. But I cant really decide if that is a bad thing. No he don't have the chameleon abilities of Ledger, but his version of the character might still be interesting.

Gal is very underwhelming and has only been in a few things,
    Yep.

Affleck is a far better director than he is actor,
    Not really a big fan either. But then again I can only really remember him acting in The Town. Pearl Harbor does not really count..

Jeremy Irons has had as many dubious roles as he has good ones etc.....
    Jeremy Irons is pretty much the only safe bet they got in my opinion. Hell of a solid but intense actor.

Maybe even a problem since he might just end up out-menacing Affleck as Batman just by his sheer presence lol.

specially when a woman is merely thin(she can put muscle on, it's called working out and getting into a certain kind of shape for a role, good and bad, many have done it), and another is just mostly in movies they don't care for, is hilariously funny.
    Well its not only muscle. She also needs to have that confident look, sort of like Xena did in her time. Right now she is just a small girl with a pretty face for the guys to hit on. Lets hope she got the acting chops to pull it off. But preferably it should come naturally.

Disclaimer: I don't really know squat about comics. I just find this "does the actor fit" discussion interesting.

Not really a big fan either. But then again I can only really remember him acting in The Town. Pearl Harbor does not really count.
    I think he was great in directing, and acting on Argo. I also recall, a 90s movie, called chasing amy, where he did a great job imo.

Am I the only one bothered by the " Batman Vs Superman " name ? It's just stupid .