In the Light of Dusk - Chapter Eleven 29/11/2014
Chapter Eleven

Nobunaga

The gates to Komoro opened up, along the walls it was woman, old men and children that stood guard. There is not a soldier in sight. The infantry marched through the city first, making way to the palace, after them I followed, defended by a near a thousand cavalry men. The men that had followed me from Owari went before me, having the rear guard of the infantry.

I looked to the houses, to the people that watched as I went, mothers clung to children, old men looked to their daughters, husbandless. Not a single Kiso soldier survived. It sent a small shiver down me. How can I show remorse for soldiers? Yet be set upon the murdering of innocents? I looked towards Nobuyuki, he rode proud atop his horse now, the effects of the battle seemingly gone. Seemingly, that does not mean he is healed. I gripped my reins tightly. I looked to the children, some were Nobuyuki’s age, some older and some younger. Most of them now fatherless. Looking to the crowd it was lucky if there was one young man in forty woman. I felt a tightness in my stomach. I must make a decision, as to what fate befalls this city, and that fate decrees my own.

The Kiso Tenshu was not as impressive as Kai’s, nor was it as beautiful as Owari’s. Yet still it towered over the other buildings, and looked formidable. I wonder, if they had made me face them here, and fought within that, would the battle have turned out differently? Would it be me that lay dead? The stone structure did not answer my thoughts. I rode towards the centre of the town square. Oda soldiers surrounded me, and a few units of Takeda men surrounded them. Behind them were hundreds of people, awaiting the fate of their city. And what shall that be? Upon the morning Himichiro had asked of my opinions, and I had been silent on the matter. I do not know myself, my friend. I turned to the left of me, and saw Ieyasu looking forward, his eyes were a dark cast of grey this morning, and they had a look of apprehension and fear. I sighed inwardly. Then the screams bombarded me, not the screams of the Kiso, nor their people, but the people at Owari. The images of the flames tearing at houses, of the women being raped, of mother’s smotheirng their children so that they escaped Imagawa blades, and I remembered the closed gate, how I let my people burn. Their screams stuck with me as I rode towards the town centre, their pleas to be let into the castle, into safety. I let them die, it is my fault, my burden. I stopped for a few seconds, Ieyasu turned to me, head cocked in question. “I know what the fate of the city will be.” I spoke coldly, and sorrow fuelled my words. Ieyasu thought that to mean that Komoro would burn, as his face set into a grave frown of disapproval and anger.

I turned to face the crowd of people, Ieyasu and Himichiro on either side of me, as eager and frightened as the people. “How can you justify killing innocents when you feel remorse for the death of Kiso men?” Ieyasu whispered, acid dripping from his tone. I smiled sadly, and my eyes turned to him.

“I’ve never said I can justify it, Ieyasu-san.” I spoke coolly to him now. I know what I will do. “People of the Kiso clan!” I roared at them. “Your armies have been defeated in the field, many of your people lie dead within the fields. Many of you will lament me for your defeat, many of you will wish to resist to my demands. But let me tell you this.” I stopped, taking a deep breath. “Kiso Yoshiyasu was a coward and a dishonourable Daimyo.” The crowd growled at that, a few of the older men, cursed and walked off. “Within the White Tent, where we were to discuss peace, and end of warfare! And an end of hostilities and to spare bloodshed. He attacked me and my brother! he drew his swords upon my men and cut them down like animals!” I growled at them, snarling like an animal as I said the words. Brother, I will protect you from the cruelties of this world. The crowd looked at him, mouths agape, a few of the women bellowed shouts of protest. “Liar! Bastard! Coward!” they called to me. Degenerate fools, you do not deserve mercy. “Yet, despite this, all of you, all those here.” I motioned with a hand to the women, the children and the men. “You were not a part of his treachery, you did not butcher my men, nor did you break the sacred laws of hospitality. I am not without mercy.” Nor am I without vengeance. “The city of Komoro, its inhabitants, and your belongings will be spared, no harm will come to you.” Ieyasu looked at me, a smile playing upon his lips. “My name is Nobunaga, I am of the Oda clan! I will retake my homeland of Owari. The people of Kiso, I swear to you, serve Takeda Shingen faithfully, and you will not be harmed. No looting will occur. A small detachment of Takeda men will stay here, to keep the peace. Live well, proud members of the Kiso clan.” A clan of ashes and bones. Yoshiyasu, you deserved no mercy, but your people are not you.

The crowd looked shocked, they did not cheer, but the curses had stopped, and a few of the old men had returned. I looked to them all, and smiled. “Be free.” I spoke softly, a hush of the wind, before turning towards the castle and riding towards it. “Himichiro.” My friend looked to me, a smile upon his face, his teeth were white and shined. “Give strict orders to the soldiers, no looting, no rape, will occur, and under no circumstances will I allow them to oppose the Kiso people, they will be treated as equals.” Himichiro nodded, and rode ahead, galloping. Ieyasu whispered to me. “What changed you mind, Nobunaga-san?” My smile waned as I remembered Owari, remembered its warm springs, its harsh winters, the laughter of the people, and the play of the children. “Memories.” I said and galloped towards the Tenshu.

The inside of the Tenshu was impressive, decorated with blades and bows and spears. Yoshiyasu liked weapons. I thought, remembering the decor of the White Tent. Already patrols had been set up, and Oda and Takeda men alike prowled the halls. An Oda retainer approached me, Himichiro requests your presence, tono.” I nodded, and motioned for the man to lead on. But I turned back to Nobuyuki. He looked at me, caution within his gaze. “Go to Ieyasu, and ask him if he will begin to train you in the art of fighting with a yari.” he nodded eagerly, pleased to be asked to do something. That should keep his mind off the events that happened. I hoped. I turned again, and began to follow the retainer.

I entered a brightly lit chamber, where Himichiro was now standing over records and maps, he peered at a letter on the table, smiling. “Nobunaga-sama! The scouts have reported back from Mino.” I nodded towards him, a smile of my own forming. “I’ll assume its good news, considering that smile of yours.” Himichiro laughed and nodded again. “Mino is defended by less than two hundred men, weak and easy for the taking. The Imagawa do not seem to care much for the safety of the Saito people, they are being taxed heavily, and riots break out weekly within the streets. Both the soldiers, and the townspeople are exhausted from the infighting. “

An idea struck me. “The Takeda and Imagawa, they are still allied, I assume?” Himichiro frowned for a second, thinking. “I believe so, yes. Even if not, they are in no state of warfare.” I nodded. Then Mino will fall easily, and with very little losses. The thought made me smile.

“Is there any word of whom commands the garrison?” I must know my foe. But Himichiro shook his head. “Not much, some petty Samurai whom got Yoshimoto’s favour named Torihisa.” I grimaced at that. But nodded. “Very well then, we will rest for three days, and then we march for Mino, we will take back Owari soon enough!” Himichiro’s laugh was bountiful and merry.

“To home!” he said, and I smiled. To home to Owari.

Nobuyuki

“I’m just not good at it!” he moaned, near to tears. “I can’t fight! Nobunaga is good at fighting, and battle. I am good at reading, father always said I should have been a monk.” he sighed, looking sad. His yari was on the ground. Ieyasu was armed with simply a stick. “I could never be as good as you, Ieyasu-sama!”

“Perhaps not, some men are gifted in warfare,, either as strategists or soldiers. Some are gifted in scholarly activities.” Nobuyuki sighed at that. I’ll never be as good as aniki at anything! “There is no shame in what you are good at, your gift for reading and your love of heroes will someday prove useful. But, for now . . .” Ieyasu stopped for a second, Nobuyuki looked up at him, the man was considering, his eyes cast over him. “Nobuyuki-san. Do you love your brother?”

How could you ask such a thing? Of course! “Nobunaga is a hero to me! He promised to take me home, and so he will! I trust him to fulfil his promise, and get revenge for mother and father. “ he was near to tears. “Nobunaga will always protect me.” He spoke truthfully, he knew that Nobunaga would have sacrificed himself for him. The memories of the tent came back to him. he remembered Nobunaga standing between him and the Kiso soldiers. “I will die before I allow you to harm my brother!” he had roared at them, and then the world was fuzzy and blurry. tears filled his eyes. A hand gripped his shoulder, it was a soft hand, friendly. He looked up to Ieyasu. The man smiled at him. “It is your duty to protect Nobunaga-san. You two are brothers, of the same blood. You must defend him from his foes, as he would you. That is your duty, Nobuyuki-san. You must be his staunchest ally, his closest friend. Protect him as he would you. To do that you need to know how to fight.”

Ieyasu demonstrated, he stepped back, flipped his stick into the air, it whirled swiftly, and he battered the training dummies of the courtyard, he seemed to dance between them, catching one in the throat, another had the straw head fling off when the shaft of the headless yari smacked into its temple. Ieyasu spun around and his headless yari thrust out, Nobuyuki gasped to find the headless yari at his throat. Ieyasu pulled it away, and looked to him. “Pick up the yari, Nobuyuki-san.” He did so, the black shaft was long and heavy. Ieyasu pulled away, and noded towards him. “I want you to try and stab me with it, and I want you to watch what I do.”

Nobuyuki had seen soldiers fight in the yard with yari, he decided to take up that stance as best he could. He charged forward, thrusting the yari out trying to stab at Ieyasu. Ieyasu stepped to the side, and his headless yari flashed outwards, Nobuyuki felt his yari lift upwards and out of his grip, and then suddenly Ieyasu was standing before him. He felt something hard hit his back, and he was flung forwards onto the ground, the yari dropping from his grip. He growled. “How did you do that? You’re undefeatable!” He spat. Ieyasu just eyed him carefully. “You need to be unpredictable, Samurai know how to counter the art of fighting with a yari. Besides, in a wall, that art is masterful, but alone? Samurai armed with yari are at a disadvantage. You must learn how to fight differently, in a way that your opponent doesn’t know.”

Nobuyuki lashed out, kicking with his feet, propelling himself upwards, he turned around, and swung the yari with all his might. Ieyasu stepped back, but Nobuyuki had expected that, and he stabbed, instead of swinging fully. Ieyasu danced back again, and the yari met, for a moment it was a clash between the two. But then Ieyasu’s headless yari cracked across his knuckles, and his feet struck at his ribs, hefting him high into the air. Nobuyuki screamed in fright as Ieyasu danced his stick around, but just before Nobuyuki came crashing into the ground and dropped the yari and caught him.

Ieyasu laughed, it was hearty and filled with a merriment. “That was indeed unexpected.” he smiled at him. “You are quick, but not agile.” He frowned. “No matter, you will learn. “ Ieyasu turned as two men entered the yard. “Nobunaga!” Nobuyuki called rushing to his brother. Nobunaga smiled, nodding towards Ieyasu and embracing his brother. “Ieyasu is teaching me how to fight! So that someday I can be good enough to protect you!” A laugh erupted from Nobunaga.

“Careful that you don’t fill Himichiro-sensei with envy, Nobuyuki-san.” He smiled, and Nobuyuki laughed, turning towards Himichiro. “Himichiro! Can you teach me the blade? Please? I need to learn how to fight!” Himichiro nodded, a smile of his own on his lips.

“Before you learn the blade, Nobuyuki, I am anxious to gage whom is the better fighter, Ieyasu or Himichiro.” Himichiro looked uncertain at Nobunaga for a second, but then nodded. Nobunaga called to Ieyasu. “My friend, thank you for teaching my brother. Do you think you’re up for facing Himichiro-sensei?” Ieyasu shook his head, and he humbly replied.

“A practice duel would end in my defeat, and a real duel would end in my death, to be certain.” He nodded towards Himichiro. “I rather like the way your brother thinks I’m undefeatable, so we’ll keep it at that.” Ieyasu smiled, and Nobunaga laughed.

“As you wish, Ieyasu-san. We leave for Mino in two days.” Ieyasu nodded, and then went back to striking at practice dummies. Nobuyuki walked alongside Nobunaga. “Aniki, can I join the battle?” Nobunaga stopped so abruptly that Nobuyuki leapt back, falling into Himichiro, who held him, stopping him from falling. “Nobuyuki.” He could see the fear in Nobunaga’s eyes. Why is he afraid? “You will watch the battle, but you will not join it. I will not risk . . . I will not risking losing my little brother.” Nobunaga strode off, anger in his steps. Nobuyuki went limp in Himichiro’s arms.

“What have I done, Himichiro-sensei? Why is he mad at me? How can I protect Nobunaga, if I only watch? How can I do my duty to my brother if I let him fight every battle?” Himichiro turned him around and knelt so that he was on the same eye level as Nobuyuki.

“He is not angry at you, Nobuyuki-san.” Smiling broadly. “But he berates himself for his actions within the White Tent. He took you into the world of politics and warfare, and it nearly got both you and him killed. Do you know why Nobunaga fights?’ The question took Nobuyuki by surprise, and he felt his mouth jerk oddly, as he considered. Finally he shook his head.

Himichiro answered him. “He fights for you, for Ieyasu.” An Oda patrol passed them by, bowing and saluting as they went. “He battles for those men there, he battles for your father, and for your mother.” Nobuyuki nearly replied that they were dead, but Himichiro continued. “He fights to take you all home, and he fights to avenge those that he failed at Owari. Your brother is a good man, remember that. Do not think ill of him for his faults.” Himichiro nodded towards him, still smiling. he rose and strode after Nobunaga.

How could I ever think ill of my brother? He will never betray me. It is my duty to protect Nobunaga. I must remember that.

Ieyasu

A contingent of cavalry neared the gates of Mino, it was made up of the greatest horsemen the Takeda had to offer, and the remaining of the Oda samurai. All in all it equalled near two hundred men. What does Nobunaga intend? The Oda men had been adorned in Takeda arms, something they had been adamantly furious about. But Nobunaga promised them that soon they will be back home, and that this was simply a stepping stone. Nobuyuki had been placed in the trees, defended by the rest of the Takeda forces and the remnants of his and Nobunaga’s retainers.

The gates to Mino were open, and guarded by three Samurai. The captain of which went forward, demanding their halt. Ieyasu moved to Nobunaga’s left, hand resting upon his yari. “Halt! In the name of Imagawa Yoshimoto, Daimyo of the Imagawa clan! What business do you have here?” His tone implied authority, but his eyes gave way to fear.

In answer Nobunaga replied. “I bear a message in the name of Takeda Shingen, Ruler of Kai Province, Daimyo of the Takeda clan and your own faithful ally.” Ieyasu could almost see the smile in Nobunaga’s voice. He enjoys this, the deceit, and the pleasure that this idea was all his. Though what is this idea of his? The samurai visibly relaxed, slouching a little. “Indeed.” he flashed a smile. “What do our friends of Takeda wish of us? Come! Come! Speak with our commander.” Ieyasu saw Nobunaga hesitate for a moment, then shake his head.

“No need, you may bear my message well enough. Besides me and my party must be heading off soon.” The man didn’t bother intruding as to ask where, and simply shrugged his shoulders.

“Then, may I ask, what this message of yours is? Who is this message from?” Nobunaga nodded and his hand reached down, to what looked as if he was getting a roll of parchment, Ieyasu saw his hand placed upon his katana, and his own grip on his yari stiffened, “The message comes from Oda Nobunaga, rightful Ruler of Owari and Daimyo of the Oda.” The man’s eyes widened, and his mouth quivered for a moment as he tried to make sense of it. “But, the Oda are dead, and enemies of -”

“I am going home, captain.” Nobunaga’s blade came from his sheathe swiftly, and he swung it down upon the captain, half the man;’s face remained when he fell to the ground. Ieyasu roared, his yari in hand, going for the soldier on the left. He knew Himichiro would be striking the man on the right. “Ieyasu, Himichiro.” Nobunaga spoke keenly. “Take the gatehouse and keep the alarm from being raised, after that, make way to the barracks and kill the defenders. Meet me inside the Tenshu when the battle is concluded.” Before the battle he had been assigned sixty men. He dismounted and went to the left side of the gatehouse, Himichiro by his side. Nobunaga and his men continued to ride through, riding to the centre, to the Tenshu.

Ieyasu entered the gate house, and two guards stared at him and his men for a moment, one of them cried out, about to draw his blade. But he leapt forward,and his yari found the man’s stomach, and the shaft found the second’s man throat. he gurgled, his pupils widening in shock, before one of the Takeda men stuck a katana through his belly, and he fell to the ground.
Himichiro looked to him, and went up the steps, his own men at his heels. Ieyasu followed, eager to see the man’s prowess at battle once more.

They reached the parapets of Mino’s walls, and ran into a patrol of thirty Imagawa men. he head Himichiro curse and charge forward, the Takeda men behind him. Their usual roars and battle cries absent from this battle. Nobunaga had given all stern orders for silence. He rushed forward as well, engaging one man. The Imagawa soldier looked shocked, but raised his sword in effort to attack. Ieyasu danced backwards, and his yari sweeped, catching the man in the thigh, it clashed off his armour, but the sound and contact had caught the man off balance, and he stepped to the side, losing his balance and nearly falling. Ieyasu lashed out once more and the this time the head of his yari went through his throat. he leapt back as the blood splayed from the man’s neck, and he turned, yari swirling as he blocked another samurai’s blow, he turned the blow aside and resumed his own onslaught. His yari striking at the man’s armour, leaving deep gashes and cuts on the man’s arms and torso, before finally he turned his yari again and swept it wide, catching the man full in the temple, the strength of his attack took half the man's skull off, his eyes rolled back into his head, and he slumped to the ground, lifeless body falling from the wall.

Ieyasu looked to Himichiro, the man had three corpses before him, and he was battling two more men, but a third was creeping around his flank, trying to take out the demon like swordsman. Ieyasu stepped gingerly forward , yari thrusting forwards, it took the man in the eye, the man screamed, Himichiro jerked around, blade raised, his eyes locked with the scene and immediately he understood. He smiled towards Ieyasu, who gave his own acknowledging nod in return. he pulled his yari from the man’s eyes and shoved it into his chest. He moved onwards, leaping over the corpse. The other Takeda men had fought fiercely, and their superior numbers had felled the Imagawa soldiers quickly. “Come!” Himichiro encouraged. “We must reach the barracks.” He took a torch from the wall and flung it into the sky. The signal for the rest of the soldiers to move into the city.

The men rushed towards the barracks, bloodied blades and steeled armour. The night sky was moonless, unless a man looked up close they would not be able to tell whether they were friend or foe. A smart man would assume they were foes, however, there seems a lack of such men within the Imagawa ranks. Ieyasu smiled, and as he neared the barracks they heard drinking and laughter.

Six men sat at a table, drinking sake and playing dice. Ieyasu saw one of them turn, the others shouted, but they were not quick enough. His soldiers washed over them like a sea of black and red. Their screams were abruptly cut off. Himichiro entered the main sleeping quarters, where the garrison would be resting. A few had woken by the shouts outside. But none were dressed for battle.

It was a slaughter. Himichiro practically leapt upon the first man, decapitating his head with his first strike. A few other Imagawa soldiers cursed and shouted, but were swiftly cut down. A few men tried to get out of their bed, but were stabbed to death through their sheets. Blood and screams filled the air, and the light illuminated the walls, now painted in blood and gore. The Imagawa soldiers died like animals, like cattle for the slaughter. Nobunaga would be pleased to see this. He thought, absentmindedly. The final Imagawa soldier died, he did not wear armour, and bore no steel. But instead was adorned in sleeping rags, and had held a cup to fend off his foes. He lay against the wall, blood dripping down his chin and neck, and washing over his rags. He had soiled himself in death, and Ieyasu wrinkled his nose. The man’s eyes were boundless pools of nothing, simply staring ahead of him, the cup he had held beside him, having rolled from his hand. It had still been filled with sake when he had died, as the soft red of the wine mixed with the dark crimson of the man’s blood.

Himichiro gave the soldiers some small respite, a few of them went to getting drinking caskets from the soldier’s longue, and got themselves a cup of sake to wash away the fatigue of battle. Ieyasu was offered a glass, but he refused, shaking his head. He could not understand soldiers and their obsessive nature towards sake and battle. One’s head must be clear should they wish to fight well, and not die a drunken fool.

Himichiro called out to them. “Form up! We march to the Tenshu to rendezvous with Nobunaga and his soldiers!” a few of the Takeda men grinned, and lumbered towards the door. Himichiro looked at him, and nodded. “Come, Ieyasu, after this there is but one more hurdle, and then you may go home!” Ieyasu nodded, a smile creeping upon his face.

Mikawa.

Torihisa

“Send a bloody bird then if you're too damn cowardly to go yourself!” he had been woken from a peaceful sleep to news that he was being attacked by the Takeda. Bloody Takeda, good for nothing sons of whores! When Yoshimoto hears of this .. . He growled aimlessly. When Yoshimoto hears of this I will be to blame. That thought did not please him, he lashed out at the old man, kicking him to the ground. “Send a bird you coward!” He roared, striking at the man again. The old man looked up at him with fear in his eyes, “ I was a healer!” The man murmured angrily but he rushed towards the ravens, placing a hastily written message on its legs and releasing it.

Torihisa sighed, bringing his hands up his face, cradling his head. “Send one to Owari as well, Nobuyasu will be damned if he is to escape this slaughter also. He should be prepared, I guess.” He sighed, speaking in a softer tone. Damn those Takeda bastards! The old man rushed to do as he was told, he shivered and bowed as he did so, trembling in fear. Torihisa smiled, he had always liked being obeyed. I need to flee this thrice damned slaughterhouse before I end up following my butchered soldiers. Useless fools! He strode from the study, calling for his servants. “Ready my horse!” He bellowed, turning towards his retainers. “Follow me!” He had six retainers, not a glorious guard, but he assumed it would suit.

He rushed down the hallway, unarmoured and armed with only a tanto. He saw a few Imagawa guards running backwards, they saw him, and turned back to face their attackers, not wishing to look like cowards. For a moment Torihisa was pleased, yet his pleasure lasted only a moment before his men died, screaming and choking on their own blood as Takeda swords fell around them. Torihisa gulped down another curse, he stood rooted to the spot as Takeda soldiers turned towards him, a few of them went forward swords raised. But a voice called to them.

“Wait, I wish to speak to him.” From among the men came a man, or at least what he thought looked like a man, the man wore yellow and black armour, he had a cloak that hung limply from his shoulders, and a cowl that covered half his face. He threw it back, and tore the cloak off with an elegant flourish. What Torihisa saw made him laugh, laugh until he cried. A child! We’re being overrun by a child! The child looked to him, his eyes bright and piercing, yet Torihisa could see that there was sorrow in them, sorrow and rage. A smile curled up the boy’s lips. “Do you know who I am, Torihisa-san?” That took him aback, and his hands went to the tanto at his side, but the retainers moved swiftly, and a blade was at his throat. The child clicked his fingers, and the blade retracted swiftly. “By the look of you you’re one of the Oda cowards! Oh, wait, I almost forgot. The Oda are dead! Your city burned to the ground!” He lied to the child, he did not fear a boy who thought he had power. Owari did burn, mostly, but now Oda Nobuyasu rules Owari, and is a faithful vassal of Yoshimoto Imagawa. But he didn’t wish to give the boy hope, hope that he could return to anything but ashes and rubble. He looked into the eyes of that child, and he went still. There was darkness there, coldness beyond imagining. You could die looking at those eyes, simply because he wills it. The boy held such power within his gaze, such sorrow and anguish and rage, he held authority.

“Were you present when my home burned?” The boy spoke softly, his voice barely audible in the darkened hallway. I was there, hell I led the attack. Yoshimoto had given him command of the vanguard, due to his brother requesting it. My brother will avenge me, you Oda dog! He is the protector of our lord Yoshimoto! He can best any man with a sword! He remembered it all, remembered as his men surrounded the city in the cover of darkness, unseen on that moonless night by the lookouts. The archers had gone forward, and choosing precise targets they killed the guards and watchmen, his men had scaled the walls, a few had died, but most reached the top. He was about to order the gates to be opened when he was met with a man and a dozen retainers. The man had worn Oda colours, but he had offered to join them, declaring that his idiot nephew had doomed his clan, and he wished to save it. He swore allegiance then and there to Yoshimoto of the Imagawa clan, and then he opened the gates for the main force to stream in. Torihisa had given the order to sack the city, to burn it and destroy it, to abolish any remnants of the Oda from history. Oh, he remembered the fires, he remembered the screams of the people, he remembered as women were raped, as their husbands were butchered beside them, he remembered the people that had clawed at the gates of the Tenshu, but they had been firmly locked. Cruel bastard, that nephew of Nobuyasu’s, leaving his people to die. “Answer me!” The boy barked at him, and he leapt backwards, frightened by the fury in the voice. What was Nobuyasu’s nephew called? Nobuyuki? Nobuhide? He cursed himself for not being able to remember. “I was not there, no! I was at Totomi at the time, and was brought up into Yoshimoto-sama’s army after the fall of Owari.” he spoke meekly, trying to save his hide. If the boy thinks I was there then he’ll kill me for certain, and I will not be killed by a worthless child!

He thought he had said the wrong thing, for a second, as the child’s gaze stiffened ever so slightly, and it was as if he was staring at the depths of winter, for all the emotion that showed within those eyes. “I see, Torihisa-san.” The boy whispered, and his eyes lowered. “Let him go.” He said, raising his head once more. The men around him hesitated, but they lowered their swords. Torihisa stared meekly for a moment, but sighing in relief he went forward,. The stupid brat brought the lie! He smiled to himself, and strode forward between the men and near to the child, he bobbed his head in acknowledgement, and the boy gave him a kind smile.

“Oh, wait, I almost forgot.” The boy’s voice was full of mocking. “ Kill him” He felt steel enter his stomach and he cried out, he heard his men being cut down, their muffled screams reaching his ears. “I despise liars.” The boy said softly, and a devilish smile appeared on his lips. “Don’t worry, you won’t dine in hell alone. I’ll be sending my uncle to join you soon.” The boy swished the blade across his throat, he gurgled, arms clutching at his throat, trying to stem the blood. He felt warm, yet strikingly cold. What an odd combination he thought to himself, still clawing at his throat.

“My name is Nobunaga, Daimyo of the Oda clan, and rightful ruler of Owari. I have come for vengeance.” And with those words Torihisa reached out towards the boy, still gurgling, His eyes closed feebly, and his arm fell against his chest. The warm seemed to drain away, and he embraced the darkness and cold . . .

I have come for vengeance.

***Hideyoshi

The yumi was light in his arms, magical. He nocked an arrow, and drew it back, his eyes placed on the target. He closed his eyes, and spun around, he stopped for a second,and released. The twang of the yumi rang in his ears. Beside him friends cheered and laughed. “Hideyoshi! That was a fantastic shot, you have to teach me how to do that one day!” Katashi spoke swiftly, eagerly and cheerfully. There was an excited gleam in his eyes. Hideyoshi turned his eyes toward the target, and smiled, the arrow had hit the centre of the target.

“Perhaps someday I will, Katashi-san.” He said softly, and walked away. He looked to the right of him and saw Samurai drilling. Live steel in their grips, they fought fiercely, swinging steel at each other, rolling and dodging the other’s blows, while trying to attack with a flurry of their own. Fools, a good arrow would put you on your knees. His eyes glanced to the arrows in his quiver, just for a moment. No, that would get me killed quicker than if I was actually dueling them. Hideyoshi had been born a farmer;s son, an Oda man to the bone. Each time he saw an Imagawa soldier his fists clenched. How can we kneel to these bastards? He had aided his father on the farm, until the Imagawa took Owari, they had seen the fires from their house, and the next morning he set out, to go to Owari and find out what had happened. When he had reached the gates men in Imagawa armour had been placed as sentries, and before the walls a gigantic camp was sprawled across the fields. He had entered the city, been spotted by a man in Oda armour, and conscripted. He’d had no choice, the man called to him and demanded he enlisted for the garrison of the Owari, the man had shuffled and pulled him towards the recruitment board, told him to give his name, and that was that, he was enlisted. He had been brought to the training grounds and they gave him a yari. He wasn’t very good with that, then they gave him a yumi, and his muscles had moved as if on their own accord. He had not scored hits on the centre then, but he had not missed the target once out of three shots.

He smiled then, remembering the stunned gaze of the Samurai trainer. The man had looked at him and then started to laugh. “You’ll be an archer, Hideyoshi!” And he had walked away. Later that day he asked the man if he’d ever be able to ride, saying he had ridden a lot on the farm, and that he had loved it. The samurai had scoffed and asked him why he would need a horse if he was simply an archer.

Hideyoshi sighed at the memory. Samurai are arrogant, and yet they do not realise it is the common man kill men before they even reach a battle, so they do not need to work as hard! Hideyoshi looked to the sky. Someday I will be great! Someday I will lead armies, and men will tremble at my name, someday . .. .

Frightened voices called out before him. “It is said that Mino has fallen to a Takeda force, a gigantic fore, fifteen thousand strong! It is said they rode with demons into battle! Those merciless bastards will turn their gaze to us next!” The voices continued in their gossip. “Doesn’t that mean the Takeda and the Imagawa are at war? The Takeda cannot hope to defeat Yoshimoto-sama in the field! No man can!” One man spoke, Hideyoshi felt like clawing the man’s throat out. Men are made of flesh, flesh can be cut, tone, stabbed, stripped away, burned, boiled. Any man can die, no matter how powerful or might. Even so the Takeda attacking the former Saito town of Mino was dire news. We don’t have the men here to repel any attack! Let alone a force nearly as mighty as Yoshimoto’s of the Imagawa clan.

He looked to his yumi in hand. I wonder how many Takeda men I’ll kill with this thing? He thought solemnly. The Oda will rise again!

***Nobunaga

The Imagawa had left Mino’s coffers bursting with koku. Torihisa may have been a lying scum of a man, yet he was capable in administration. The populace of Mino had waited fearfully for my sentence of the city. What I had said to them had taken them by surprise, and the answers I received had pleased me greatly. “My name is Nobunaga of the Oda clan, at least what remains of it. Help me take back my home, and I swear to you, The Saito will rise again! Not as vassals to the Imagawa, nor as servants to the Oda, but as free and strong people!” The Saito had applauded and beamed, happy at the prospect of their freedom once more. Near four hundred men had joined me that day, armed with yari and yumi, they had joined the march of soldiers that went around the city, declaring my message to each and all, gathering new men everywhere. The Saito will rise as a free and strong people. But can the Oda do the same?

I tapped the table softly, one of my retainers entered, bowing his head softly. “Tono, an aged man wishes audience with you.” I nodded towards the man, and flicked my hand, giving the old man entry. Himichiro stood at my side, as always. I still have not apologized. I thought sourely, irritated at my foolishness. I rose from my seat when the man entered. “Healer.” I spoke solemnly. The man whom saved my life. The man looked much older than he had before, his skin was haggard and wrinkled, and it hung from his bones shallowly.

“Nobunaga of the Oda clan, yes.” the man smiled. “You have given the Saito a kinder fate than Yoshimoto had, and even your own father would not have treated us so kindly.” I shook my head, a smile upon my face.

“I need allies, healer, the last thing I need is more enemies.” I reached down to the chest of koku and grabbed a fistful of them, placing them upon the desk I nodded towards the man. “I swore you would receive payment for healing me, and I keep my word.” When it suits me. The man smiled, and laughed. “I suppose I should have expected as such, from a child such as you.” The healer’s smile held warmth to it. I leaned forward. “Tell me, what is your name, healer?”

The man’s gaze met my own, there was a kindness in them. “My name is Satashi, Nobunaga-sama.” I strode towards the man, gripping his shoulders I spoke. “Then Satashi, I name you of my own household, and appoint you as my personal healer and physician. You will be provided with every utensil you need, and wealth enough to satisfy you. I can also arrange for you to treat other men and women and children should you wish to continue with your work.” The man smiled, nodding and bowing his head.

“You honour me, Nobunaga-sama. Thank you, thank you my lord!” He shuffled out of the room, I turned back to Himichiro.

“I . . . I was disrespectful to you at Hima. I spoke out against good and wise counsel, and I should not have raised a hand against you, Himichiro-sensei. I am truly sorry.” Himichiro’s gaze locked with mine, but his gaze did not soften.

“Win me back my home, Nobunaga-sama, and then you shall be forgiven.” I nodded towards him. The Takeda soldiers had been paid for their victories, and they were well feasted after a night of drinking and whoring.

“Ready the men, Himichiro-sensei. Its time for us to retake our home.”