Thread: More challenging campaign

Steli-os's Avatar Libertus

Default More challenging campaign

Hi everyone,
    I bought Medieval 2 Gold Edition just to play this mod. I am a fun of Rome for a long time now and because I didn't like Rome 2, I found out that this mod is probably better than Rome 2, as many of you already know by now!
    As I started the campaign with the koinon achaion I realized it was too easy to conquer rebel cities and frankly that turned out to be a little disappointing and eventually boring. So, I made some minor changes to improve the challenge at the beginning of the campaign. Just unpack the zip file and copy-paste it in your "Medieval II Total War" folder. I made it as a different campaign, so that no other of your files or folders will be affected. Enjoy! mods.rar

Edit: I realized I made a mistake. I accidentally gave the rebel faction too much money. Still playable - much more difficult. Personally I like it!
    You can download this one (unzip and place in the DBM folder) for a more "reasonable" campaign. Unfortunately not save game compatible.
    data.rar
    Last edited by Steli-os; January 30, 2014 at 03:50 PM.
    We make war that we may live in peace

Default Re: More challenging campaign

If you don't mind, could you go into more detail? I.E. - what precisely does the mod do in order to make the game more challenging?

Of course! You have a point there! My mistake.
    I didn't change much. Only the rebel faction. It's something i did in a submod for extended greek mod (RTW). I increased the garrison in independed villages-town-cities and gave much more money to the rebel faction. This way the AI and the player won't expand quickly. For example: In my first unmoded campaign as the koinon achaion i conquered every greek (rebel) city around greece just in 18 turns and wihout loosing a single battle. In fact it was hardly a challenge. But now, with macedonians, i'm in 25th turn and i just conquered my third city (sparta) after extremly hard battles! In fact in my first siege of athens, i misjudged the garrison's power and i ended up losing my faction leader while falling back (by the way that's the first time i fell back in a total war game)! The AI has the same difficulty and until now only rome has expanded a bit and the hunic tribe north east i think. This way the game is more realistic and as i said much more challenging.

edit: I forgot to mention that rebels train armies and build stuff in cities.
    Last edited by Steli-os; January 28, 2014 at 03:20 AM.

The first 30 turn in DBM are supposed to be used for conquering rebel settlements and then building them up. The AI is scripted not to attack till turn 30 (I think) and you need those 30 turns to build stacks and build up those early rebel settlements because when the do attack they do with a vengence. If you spend all those 30 turns on just conquering rebel settlements your not gonna be prepared when your borders are bumrushed.
    “The hardest thing in the world is to assume the mood of a warrior. It is of no use to be sad and complain and feel justified in doing so, believing that someone is always doing something to us. Nobody is doing anything to anybody, much less to a warrior.” ― Don Juan
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, USMC

I just conquered rhodos and i am about to take byzantium (28th turn). I already have enough army to deal with all my neighbors, if they are foolish enough to attack me . DBM has a nice economical system that allows us to have good army with only a few cities. By now i have greece under my control (except of thrace and byzantium). I can take out thrace and illyrians in a few turns if i want to. Without the changes i made it would be too easy. I could have conquered Balkans and Asia minor by now. But this is just me! I know that many others prefer an easier campaign.