Thread: Chinese Wall!!

Default Chinese Wall!!

What does the Great Wall of China that is not on the campaign map? It was built in the middle ages if I'm not mistaken and I would like it to appear. THANKS.

Default Re: Chinese Wall!!

Would that be of any relevance in terms of gameplay though ?

It's already in-game (look north of Gongsun Zan and Heishan). And for a fact, the first sections of the wall were built during the Qin Dynasty (220 BC)

yuezhi's Avatar Senator

The question makes no sense.
    all hail the flying spaghetti monster!

I think he viewing the wall as looking for similar to the look it had after the renovations by the Ming Dynasty as opposed to the look they would had during the ancient period.

I know the wall was built sporadically and haphazardly throughout China, but I do not know the exact locations or time they were built. My guess these "inner" walls were built during the Spring and Autumn period and the Warring state period.

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Well, Qin Dynasty had already built a good deal of walls in the north, albeit in parts and different places.

The wall was expanded by Han Dynasty, until they moved north and conquered the Xiongnu and didn't have much need of it, so it fell into a good deal of disuse by the era depicted in the mod. They had parts of walls built in the western area as well.

But overall, the walls of this time were not the 'big wall systems of stone' type if that is what OP is looking for. Those walls come from the enormous rebuilding, repairing and renovation project carried out by Ming Dynasty around 1200 years later. Walls of Han Dynasty era were almost always rammed-earth walls covered in stones and wood. We are talking about big walls of dirt packed in between two walls of wood, and towers made of heated mud with a framework of small bricks inside them.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Seether's Avatar RoTK Workhorse

General Maximus is exactly correct on what the Great Wall consisted of during the Han Dynasty. +Rep to you, sir.
    Member of the Imperial House of Hader - Under the Benevolent Patronage of y2day
    A Wolf Among Sheep: A Rise of Three Kingdoms AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Seether View Post
    General Maximus is exactly correct on what the Great Wall consisted of during the Han Dynasty. +Rep to you, sir.
    Thanks for the rep mate. Just pointing out the real Great Wall of early Imperial era in China.

Quote Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
    Thanks for the rep mate. Just pointing out the real Great Wall of early Imperial era in China.
    This is argumentation to minutia,.... but walls in China was built by many of the states during the Spring and Autumn and Warring States period. This predates the imperial period of China (establishment of the Qin Dynasty).

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    This is argumentation to minutia,.... but walls in China was built by many of the states during the Spring and Autumn and Warring States period. This predates the imperial period of China (establishment of the Qin Dynasty).
    That is completely true. States of Zhao and Yan had their own walls in the north for defense against Xiongnu, during mid-late Warring States era. Qin already had one at it's western border. And I've read somewhere about a 'great wall' between the border of states of Qi and Chu south of Shandong peninsula.

But those walls did fade away by the time of Han Dynasty and Emperor Wu's expansion westwards. He ignored the older Qin wall in the west (which deteriorated, and was probably cleared out), the wall south of Shandong most probably collapsed, and the northern Great Wall itself was expanded on the lines of Zhao and Yan walls by Qin Shi Huang early on. When the Han Dynasty defeated Xiongnu, they expanded a new sector of the wall (ignoring the old Qin one, which is now too disfigured to be even recognized) more than a hundred kilometers north from the older wall.

Hence, the older wall fell into disuse, deteriorated and devolved until most parts of it collapsed. Han Dynasty Great Wall had only some of the older portions taken into the new wall, so they survived.