Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: [Preview] Units

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: [Preview] Units

Pink is not really the colour that screams "wrath " just. It's a mild, glad and rococo colour ^^

Unless it's combined with dark colours, claws and sharp teeth! Booyah!

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Haha maybe you are right, maybe the guys that slaughtered three time their kin people should have a more bloody color.

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam
    ~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Maybe we should just give House of Feanor ferret's units, to ensure the "wrath" factor...

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Pink is not really the colour that screams "wrath " just. It's a mild, glad and rococo colour ^^

Unless it's combined with dark colours, claws and sharp teeth! Booyah!
    Ancalagon The Pink?
    Last edited by Jagmodo; May 03, 2014 at 03:45 AM.

Is the only unit with that colour (well, "was"...now is a few different ), the rest of the roster have dark red, white or dark blue colours .

Algaman's Avatar Tiro

Hello there, friends!
    working in a new orc model
    he gave me hours of work, really
    but is almost done
    is a very basic model, but, well, hope u like it.-

close up, the greeny skin its just a kind of test.

The basic model amazing, Algaman! Just needs an armour and it's perfect. But, please, post this type of stuff in your workshop, otherwise you're just giving the pleb free previews .

Good job, bro!!!

I leave you a detailed reply in the development forum

Neat craftmanship there Algaman

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Nobles of the House of Fëanor (reworked)

Guards of Cuiviénen (Avari Elves)

~ Patronized by Gaius Baltar, son of the Great Family of imb39, of the House of Garbarsardar, of the Noble House of Wilpuri.

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Awesome!! I like especially the Avari very much!

Very nice! The Avari looks awesome !!!

I like your units but I seem to always have something to nag about. As guys at FATW have already experienced quite a few times, I nit-pick a lot. But that only means that you got my attention and I’ll try to give my suggestions for improvements from my perspective. It’s up to you to consider them and decide do they make any sense at all.

Reskined Fëanorians look quite good. However, they look like they are barefoot, wearing only hose, or as they have white shoes/boots. White would get dirty very quickly, especially in war conditions. After all, (kin)slaying is a dirty business.

I am also interested in their shields. What do those stripes represent?

I must say those Avari guards look great. However, I wonder are they too heavily equipped for the least developed of the Elves? I might be wrong, but their equipment looks to me at the level of those Noldor have – technology they brought to Middle-earth from Aman. I always imagined them tribal, using hit-and-run guerrilla tactics of warfare. Later, some of them merged with Sindar and Nandor, becoming Silvan Elves. I would assume they would be most similar to them, even more "primitive"; becoming more civilised under Sindarin leadership.

Last thing that crossed my mind was how many Avari were in Beleriand at all? Eöl might be one of them, but others? How far does your campaign map reaches? It can’t go as far as Cuiviénen, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jagmodo View Post
    I like your units but I seem to always have something to nag about. As guys at FATW have already experienced quite a few times, I nit-pick a lot. But that only means that you got my attention and I’ll try to give my suggestions for improvements from my perspective. It’s up to you to consider them and decide do they make any sense at all.
    Nitpicking is good. Nobody does it quite as well as Aradan, though.

Reskined Fëanorians look quite good. However, they look like they are barefoot, wearing only hose, or as they have white shoes/boots. White would get dirty very quickly, especially in war conditions. After all, (kin)slaying is a dirty business.
    You know the drill, magic elven boots to the rescue.

I am also interested in their shields. What do those stripes represent?
    Milner's creativity .

I must say those Avari guards look great. However, I wonder are they too heavily equipped for the least developed of the Elves? I might be wrong, but their equipment looks to me at the level of those Noldor have – technology they brought to Middle-earth from Aman. I always imagined them tribal, using hit-and-run guerrilla tactics of warfare. Later, some of them merged with Sindar and Nandor, becoming Silvan Elves. I would assume they would be most similar to them, even more "primitive"; becoming more civilised under Sindarin leadership.
    Yeah, that's where we felt we could use some creative liberty. After all, if we were to 100% follow the lore, the Laiquendi should be a bunch of unarmoured peasants and could not offer any interesting gameplay for the player. Don't worry though, most of Avari/Laiquendi units, except one or two elites, are lightly armoured. They also rely much on archers to do their fighting.

Last thing that crossed my mind was how many Avari were in Beleriand at all? Eöl might be one of them, but others? How far does your campaign map reaches? It can’t go as far as Cuiviénen, right?
    The map will stretch beyond Beleriand and reach Western Mirkwood, both Khazad-Dûm and the Avari will be represented. "Guards of Cuiviénen" is just the name Milner choosed to give some flavour. Better than "Avari Elite Spearmen" don't you think?

There is material to lean against for Avari in Beleriand. I note, while some of them [seemingly more of Noldor-kin, Tatyar, such as Eöl than of Teleri-kin] would be found among the Nandor, and even fewer among the Sindar, most of the very few of them that would come west would not cared to even take part in fighting Morgoth:
    Quote Originally Posted by HoME 11
    This was largely derived from an isolated note, very rapidly written and not at all points intelligible, among the Narn papers, but somewhat reduced. It is remarked in this note that 'the Nandor had turned away, never seen the Sea or even Osse, and had become virtually Avari. They had also picked up various Avari before they came back west to Ossiriand.' (...)

By the Sindar anyone dwelling outside Beleriand, or entering their realm from outside, was called a Morben. The first people of this kind to be met were the Nandor, who entered East Beleriand over the passes of the Mountains before the return of Morgoth; soon after his return came the first invasions of his Orcs from the North. Somewhat later the Sindar became aware of Avari, who had crept in small and secret groups into Beleriand from the South. ... The Avari thus remained the chief examples of Moerbin. Any individual Avar who joined with or was admitted among the Sindar (it rarely happened) became a Calben; but the Avari in general remained secretive, hostile to the Eldar, and untrustworthy; and they dwelt in hidden places in the deeper woods, or in caves. (...)

The first Avari that the Eldar met again in Beleriand seem to have claimed to be Tatyar, who acknowledged their kinship with the Exiles, though there is no record of their using the name Noldo in any recognizable Avarin form. They were actually unfriendly to the Noldor, and jealous of their more exalted kin, whom they accused of arrogance. ... Indeed the Teleri on their side asserted that most of the Noldor in Aman itself were in heart Avari, and returned to Middle-earth when they discovered their mistake; they needed room to quarrel in. For in contrast the Lindarin elements in the western Avari were friendly to the Eldar, and willing to learn from them; and so close was the feeling of kinship between the remnants of the Sindar, the Nandor, and the Lindarin Avari, that later in Eriador and the Vale of Anduin they often became merged together.
    Yet while I really like the look and design of the unit I have to concur with Jagmodo, it look really out of place.
    The Avari was together with the Nandor on a much primitive level;
    Quote Originally Posted by Silmarillion
    But as the third age of the captivity of Melkor drew on, the Dwarves became troubled, and they spoke to King Thingol, saying that the Valar had not rooted out utterly the evils of the North, and now the remnant, having long multiplied in the dark, were coming forth once more and roaming far and wide. 'There are fell beasts,' they said, 'in the land east of the mountains, and your ancient kindred that dwell there are flying from the plains to the hills.'
    ... . Now these were a woodland people and had no weapons of steel, and the coming of the fell beasts of the North filled them with great fear, as the Naugrim declared to King Thingol in Menegroth. Therefore Denethor, the son of Lenwë, hearing rumour of the might of Thingol and his majesty, and of the peace of his realm, gathered such host of his scattered people as he could, and led them over the mountains into Beleriand.
    ...But the victory of the Elves was dear-bought For those of Ossiriand were light-armed, and no match for the Orcs, who were shod with iron and iron-shielded and bore great spears with broad blades;
    If you're going for something that's credible for this what lore concerns, it would be either a unit Avari in Sindar service/outfitted by the Sindar due to service or pay, or folk around Eöl, with the obvious matter that the former would be very rare and the latter equally or even more rare. It would not make sense as armed eastern Avari who took a trip west (and certainly not form the backwater of Cuiviénen [pun intended]), as the further east you get the more primitive the Elves were and are, only in the west Elves gained and developed technology; their gear thus should be detached from their unit name & history, and vice versa.

That said, artistic freedom is both at your command and by default required to make a good game. I know if anyone; and never mind it, even if folks often think I should [being called a 'lore master' hehe] as long as it is conscious.
    Now simply the case is presented (which it just as well migth been already, but I can sleep tighter ^^) and I know you know to what degree whatever choice you make diverse from or cohere to Tolkien.
    Last edited by Ngugi; May 09, 2014 at 09:03 PM.

Bercor said everything and believe me, Avari units look very wild and poorly equiped in the mod. Guards of Cuiviénen and another unit are the only heavy units of the roster. About Avari and Beleriand, they won't start the campaign in Beleriand, but more likely in the antique forest of Eryn Galen. Milner said that he has something special for them, and even if the factions of Middle-earth (Khazad-dûm and the Avari, for example), won't likely step in the conflict between Elves of Beleriand and Morgoth, they will be interesting to play. I may be wrong but nothing stated that Morgoth had no influence in Middle-earth too, isn't it?

I will finish by this: the game's aim is to allow the player to rewrite history, so obviously we can't follow the lore at 100%, otherwise the player will always lose if playing a Good faction, until the Valinor's Ost come.

Here is another Avari unit, to show that they are far from being all heavy.

Avari Forest Warriors :

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    There is material to lean against for Avari in Beleriand. I note, while some of them [seemingly more of Noldor-kin, Tatyar, such as Eöl than of Teleri-kin] would be found among the Nandor,
    Note that while Quendi and Eldar proposes Eol as Tatyarin Avar later revision in Of Maeglin has Eol back as Telerin and probable kin of Thingol:
    The original text had 'Of old he was of the kin of Thingol, but he loved him not, and when the Girdle of Melian was set about the Forest of Region he fled thence to Nan Elmoth.' In a passage of the 'Túrins Saga' which was excluded in Unfinished Tales (p. 96 and note 12) because it had been used in The Silmarillion (pp. 201-2), it is told that Eöl gave the sword Anglachel which he had made 'to Thingol as fee, which he begrudged, for leave to dwell in Nan Elmoth'.
    Against the words 'but he loved him not' my father wrote in the margin of the carbon copy, B(ii): 'Because Thingol was friendly with the Noldor before they left Middle-earth'(cf. X.172). On B(i) he emended the words 'he loved him not' to 'he was ill atease in Doriath', and on an inserted page he roughed out a new story about Eöl.This is in two versions, which are however largely identical.
    To the passage 'But Eöl… was no Dwarf, but a tall Elf of a high kin of the Teleri' my father wrote on the manuscript A (only) a note beginning with the words 'Not in revision' - which probably means that what follows is not in the corrections made to the copies of the typescript ('the revision'). In this note my father was copying a very faint and illegibleform of it on the same page, and trying to interpret his own writing; I give itexactly as it stands:
    Eöl should not be one of Thingol's kin, but one of the Teleri who refused to cross the Hithaeglir. But [later] he and a few othersof like mood, averse to concourse of people, … [had] crossed the [Mts] long ago and come to Beleriand.
    Against this note he wrote 'but the relationship toThingol would have point', and the date 1971.

War of the Jewels, Of Maeglin
    This is in keeping with Dwarves and Men in PoME which also has no Avari in Beleriand.
    Last edited by Infidel144; May 10, 2014 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Note that while Quendi and Eldar proposes Eol as Tatyarin Avar later revision in Of Maeglin has Eol back as Telerin and probable kin of Thingol:
    Mmm, interesting, though can't claim to be surprised about such an additional tweak haha, rather the opposit.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    This is in keeping with Dwarves and Men in PoME which also has no Avari in Beleriand.
    Indeed Tolkien is doubtful, though weither he did not want to firmly debunk the [HoME 11] references on Avari in Beleriand by remaining just doubtful or weither he (as occured) did not remembered those references at that point is not clear; and so I do not view the references as invalid for anyone who chose to have some Avari present there.

Fëanorians against Doriathrim