Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Empire Mac Mod Guide

The_Athenian's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Mac Mod Guide

STARTPOS Editors

http://www.4shared.com/zip/1Ipd5Wzjba/esf_editor.html?

Above is a link to a zip I made with two Starpos editors. One is relatively easy to use, and allows you to edit the turns per year of saved games and startpos.esf files. The other is ESfeditor 1.4.8, and it is a more advanced system. But it will allow you to edit Startpos files the same as windows users, so you can file instructions that already exist out their on the webbyweb.

It includes a file wrapper. What you do is right click on the .exe you want to use, and open with -> file wrapper

TROM Startpos.esf - 4 turns per year

http://www.4shared.com/zip/Pm7lQ8Rfb...tpy_TROM.html?

Here is a link to a TROM startpos.esf which I edited to 4 turns per year. The new year starts in winter, because that in my experience the new year does not herald springtime, it happens in the dead of winter.

What about the folder Main_2?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Athenian View Post
    STARTPOS Editors

Above is a link to a zip I made with two Starpos editors. One is relatively easy to use, and allows you to edit the turns per year of saved games and startpos.esf files. The other is ESfeditor 1.4.8, and it is a more advanced system. But it will allow you to edit Startpos files the same as windows users, so you can file instructions that already exist out their on the webbyweb.

It includes a file wrapper. What you do is right click on the .exe you want to use, and open with -> file wrapper

TROM Startpos.esf - 4 turns per year

http://www.4shared.com/zip/Pm7lQ8Rfb...tpy_TROM.html?

Here is a link to a TROM startpos.esf which I edited to 4 turns per year. The new year starts in winter, because that in my experience the new year does not herald springtime, it happens in the dead of winter.
    Thank you for the effort. Inserting the StartposESF 4tpy TROM renamed to Startpos.esf in my data - campaign - main folder causes the game to crash. Any ideas?

OK don't worry about the main_2.

Let's see if we can figure this out.

1. Did you also put the TROM startpos.lua in the main folder as well?

2. Sometimes if your game is crashing, you should take a look at this link:
    http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ods-on-the-Mac

Go about halfway down, and look at Maximillion's post on editing the preferences.empire_script.txt

You shouldn't need to edit this every time, but you may need to do it the first time you run a mod.

3. Make sure there are no other .packs from other mods in your data folder. Sometimes, even if you don't run them in the launcher, they run anyways an cause conflicts. So move them down into your trash, and transfer them somewhere else from there.

4. If the crashes persist, try running the mod with a minimal amount of .packs. For TROM, try to run it with just the core 1 & 2 packs, then try it with one more, then one more. And see if a specific pack is causing the crash.

5. Check to make sure you don't have an overide_data folder with a "Campaigns" folder, this could be overriding the changes you are making in the data -> campaigns -> main folder.

6. Finally, and you may want to try this one 1st… check what you are writing in the Launcher: Advanced Options: there may be a typo, even one misplaced space or a missing letter and it won't run. I suggest copying and pasting it here in a post, and we can check and see if there are any issues.

Other than that, I gotta run for a bit. So I won't be back on until later, maybe this evening. I'll check back and see if you made an progress JadelceGreen.

Alright. I have used the TROM startpos.lua and TROM startpos.esf both renamed to startpos.lua and startpos.esf. These two files makes my game crash. Which is a pity since I really want to have 4 turns per year at the very least. Two turns is way too fast.

Default Mac ETW Turns Per year Editor

I'm not sure why the startpos.esf has been crashing for you. I tried it out on my Macbook with no problems.

Here is a link to a Startpos Turns Per Year Editor that will work on Macs:
    ETW Turns Per Year Editor

Instructions:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1.Right Click on ETW Turns Editor.exe

2. Open With -> File Wrapper (The file wrapper is included in the download)

It will say "Medieval II" when it loads, but that is just cuz I used a MTW 2 wrapper.

3. Click on the button that says "Open startpos.esf"

4. Find the Startpos you wish to modify (this can be difficult because the program will view your hard drive like it's running windows, so your file paths will be different

5. Finding your Startpos: click on "look in" drop down menu -> scroll to the top -> you will see a grayish square labeled simply: / -> click on that -> Applications -> Empire Total War.app -> Resources -> Data -> data -> campaigns -> menu

6. Choose a startpos, click open

7. The startpos will be loaded into the Turns per year editor. All you need to do is write in your turns per year, click save, and there you have it!

(My only recommendation, is keep it below 6 turns per year, I am doing a 6 tpy and it is lonnnnnng. It is only 1735 and I have all my techs and the game is pretty much over.

Last edited by The_Athenian; March 18, 2014 at 09:19 PM.

Default Re: Mac ETW Turns Per year Editor

I'm not sure why the startpos.esf has been crashing for you. I tried it out on my Macbook with no problems.

Here is a link to a Startpos Turns Per Year Editor that will work on Macs:
    ETW Turns Per Year Editor

Instructions:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

1.Right Click on ETW Turns Editor.exe

2. Open With -> File Wrapper (The file wrapper is included in the download)

It will say "Medieval II" when it loads, but that is just cuz I used a MTW 2 wrapper.

3. Click on the button that says "Open startpos.esf"

4. Find the Startpos you wish to modify (this can be difficult because the program will view your hard drive like it's running windows, so your file paths will be different

5. Finding your Startpos: click on "look in" drop down menu -> scroll to the top -> you will see a grayish square labeled simply: / -> click on that -> Applications -> Empire Total War.app -> Resources -> Data -> data -> campaigns -> menu

6. Choose a startpos, click open

7. The startpos will be loaded into the Turns per year editor. All you need to do is write in your turns per year, click save, and there you have it!

(My only recommendation, is keep it below 6 turns per year, I am doing a 6 tpy and it is lonnnnnng. It is only 1735 and I have all my techs and the game is pretty much over.

Hey, I've been looking at your threads and mods for a bit now and I'm a bit confused with what to download and how to make it work... I saw you had units that have been added and stuff, and there are other mods that looked interesting but I was just confused with all the downloading and the zips and gnagnagna stuff... So I'm here to ask for your assistence (however you write that) with the downloading of the mods that interessssst me.
    Thank you !

Hey Soldjaboy,

I feel you, the thread can look a little overwhelming with all the links. I tried to go back and clean it up a bit, not sure if it was a big improvement.

Basically there are two categories of mods: first there are the big comprehensive ones, where one download includes a lot of changes to the game. The 2nd category of mod, are the ones that change individuals aspects of the game.

So it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to make small adjustments to ETW? for example: add new units, or improve graphics here and there. This can mean downloading multiple individual mods, and I'm more than willing to help you with that.

OR do you want a mod, where with one download, it makes major changes across the board to the game; including AI, adjusted economics, units, skins and so on?

Hey Soldjaboy,

I feel you, the thread can look a little overwhelming with all the links. I tried to go back and clean it up a bit, not sure if it was a big improvement.

Basically there are two categories of mods: first there are the big comprehensive ones, where one download includes a lot of changes to the game. The 2nd category of mod, are the ones that change individuals aspects of the game.

So it depends on what you want to do. Do you want to make small adjustments to ETW? for example: add new units, or improve graphics here and there. This can mean downloading multiple individual mods, and I'm more than willing to help you with that.

OR do you want a mod, where with one download, it makes major changes across the board to the game; including AI, adjusted economics, units, skins and so on?
    Woah, such a quick reply, I'm impressed, thanks a lot ! Well the second option is what I'm looking the most forward to, if it drives me less crazy haha !! So what should I do ? Thank you very much !

Hi there, first post here.
    I'm hoping you guys can help me choose the right mod for the latest version of ETW on osx mountain lion.

Basically what I'm looking for is a mod that fixes the disaster that is the AI, especially for the diplomacy/campaign map. I'm tired of AI nations fighting perpetual wars with each other to no end, and have no diplomatic sense at all.

Does anyone know which mod would be best to fix this?

The 4 shared links that you posted for the rights of man are not working for me.

I am also having this issue with TROM. I have tested it and discovered that the startpos.esf causes the game to crash when I try to begin a new campaign, I also believe that TROM text.pack is also causing it to crash. Has anyone else had this issue and been able to fix it?

Hi i don't know if this thread is still active or not? Ive got bored of playing NTW and ETW and so started looking for mods to change things up a bit. I downloaded an unlock all factions mod and played as pirates in ETW, it was pretty basic and easy to install. So i then looked at something more realistic and challenging and have been trying to find a way to install the Empire Realism 4.4 mod on my mac? Firstly, how? i've moved the downloaded file across to the data folder but when i start campaign it does nothing? i then a basic "bigger better flags" mod added that to the data folder and when i started the game the flags for all the nations on grand campaign are just blank? So can someone help explain where and what i should do with empire realism to get it to run and any other helpful info for future mod use please?!

Hi Rashby,

Yes this thread is still active. I try to check in on it a few times a month, but sometimes other things get in the way. You know, life outside of Empire, if you can believe such a thing exists.

Empire Realism
    "bigger better flags" mod added that to the data folder and when i started the game the flags for all the nations on grand campaign are just blank?
    Ok so you can relax, because this isn't your fault. For some reason faction flags are not working in this Empire Realism version on the mac. They just come up black. Which I know is annoying, I haven't had time to try to fix it. I would suggest seeing if anyone playing on windows has had something similar, maybe someone made a patch to fix it. (On the plus side it means that some of Empire Realism's .packs are loading)

i've moved the downloaded file across to the data folder but when i start campaign it does nothing?
    Ok so it's a pretty simple process.

1. Place the .packs from empire realism in your data folder with the rest of Empire's .packs

2. Empire Realism should have a startpos.esf and a startpos.lua. Place these here -> data -> campaigns -> main
    (just make sure when you do this, that you relabel your original .esf and .lua's something like "statpos.esf vanilla" So that you don't copy over them.

3. When you launch Empire, your launcher window opens. (You know this is the grey window with many options, and the play button in the lower right corner.) I don't have it open in front of me at the moment, but from what I remember you click on the "options" tab. Then under advanced options type out all the .packs you just added.

4. Like so - Advanced Options: mod "name_of_your_mod_here.pack"; mod "name_of_your_mod_here.pack";

5. Now if this doesn't work. The very first time you run a mod it may be necessary to enter this same list into the empire.preferences_script.txt file. You can find detailed instructions on how to do this from Maximillion, here: http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...ods-on-the-Mac

*6. For some reason the first time I ran some mods I experience crashes. I would follow Maximillions steps, for just a few .packs, launch the game, quit, then go back and add a few more to the empire.preferences_script.txt, launch the game, quit, then add a few more, until all were entered. I discovered this after trying to launch all .packs the first time using Maximillion's instructions and experiencing crashes. I have no idea why it worked, but it did. Now I don't need to do it at all any more. All I need to do is step 4.

​You have to understand that we are paving the way here, not many people have come before us to get these windows mods working on a mac. So we are all sort of figuring it out as we go. Please, this goes for everyone, if you discover any thing about a mod, how to get something working, or some error in my instructions, please post it here.
    Last edited by The_Athenian; April 28, 2014 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks Athenian

Really sorry but I'm completely new to this so treat me like a monkey learning to spell. My Empire Realism download isn't listed as a .pack and i can't show contents? At the moment i have 2 types of file the first is the Empire Realism and Flags Mod and they look like VLC folders? The second type is a death animation pack that i downloaded and that shows up as an exec. file? Is this a windows download or do need to unzip it and then it will work?

I know. When i first started looking i expected there to be a wealth of info and easy guides on how to use,find and install mods for the mac version, seeming as its been out for so long, but there is nothing accept you guys?!

4. Like so - Advanced Options: mod "name_of_your_mod_here.pack"; mod "name_of_your_mod_here.pack";
    Also sounds stupid but do i include the quotation marks?!

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

It should be the same as a pc, no quotation marks.

OK so I've managed to get almost everything working except Russia has a black flag and artillery can't use canister and deploy weird. Is there a set list of stuff that is different form the vanilla ETW and the Empire realism so that i know I've got everything installed?

Thanks

I think with the Mac version we do need quotation marks. That is how I have been doing it, but to be fair to Irishron, I haven't tried it without them.

Rashby19, when you download any mod, if it is in an executable format. .exe :

You need to use a wrapper to launch this. I included links to a wrapper on earlier posts, check out the first page.

All you need to do is:

1. download the wrapper (I think any total war wrapper will do) -> 2. right click on the .exe you want to run and click on "open with" -> 3. select the wrapper you downloaded.

This will bring up a windows installation window. Just direct the the download to a folder on your desktop. Once that is done, take all the .packs out of that folder and put in your data folder.

You get to the data folder by -> 1. right click on Empire: Total War app -> 2. click on "show package contents" -> 3. open up the resources folder -> 4. open the Data folder -> 5. open the lower case "data" folder -> place your .packs in here.

When you launch Empire make sure you enter in the .packs the way I have listed above:
    mod "name_of_your_mod_here.pack"; mod "name_of_your_mod_here.pack";

[Having written all that, I just checked and Empire Realism downloads as Empire Realism 4.4.rar There are no .exe files. All you need to do is run the .rar -> you will get 4 .packs which go in your data folder, as well as new .esf and .lua files. which go in data -> campaigns -> main]

Is there a set list of stuff that is different form the vanilla ETW and the Empire realism so that i know I've got everything installed?
    There are a few things you will notice right off the bat. In battles your troops will march much closer together, shoulder to shoulder. When they fire instead of firing all at once there will be a far more realistic volley after the order to fire has been given, with different troops more naturally firing a few seconds apart.

You will also notice that the fatigue system has changed. So instead of troops going from "warmed up" -> "tired" -> "shaken" -> "wavering" and so on… you will now have a system where when you order your troops to run they will very quickly begin losing unit cohesion. There will be new text informing you of this. So it is important as a good General to march your troops slowly and methodically across the battlefield. If you just send them running around they will break and run much more easily when confronting a more organized foe.

Other changes include reduced range on the campaign map, so you must think much more carefully about how you maneuver your troops, also training units now takes longer, and there are three turns per year (Summer, Autumn, Winter). If those features are all there then you probably have successfully installed it. (I will run it tonight and edit this, in case I missed something, or confused it with another mod :/)
    Last edited by The_Athenian; April 29, 2014 at 01:20 PM.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

I think with the Mac version we do need quotation marks. That is how I have been doing it, but to be fair to Irishron, I haven't tried it without them.
    I have never used a Mac but I have just learned something. Thank you.