Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Assembly Kit Guide

Default Re: Assembly Kit Guide

This has been really bugging me for some days now and I haven't found any solution. How do I turn custom made units I've made in the variant editor (saved as a "definition") into useable variantmeshes or whatever it's called?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Is there any way to import a .pack file in to the assembly kit so that I can make changes to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Black9 View Post
    Is there any way to import a .pack file in to the assembly kit so that I can make changes to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    A GUIDE TO THE ROME 2 ASSEMBLY KIT
    You can't look at a finished .pack file with the Assembly Kit, like you can with the PFM, you can't edit an existing pack file, it's very much a one way street. So I'd always advise you to open you're mod up in the PFM afterwards just to make sure that all the files are in there that need to be, and there aren't any files in there that you don't want!

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

At least some people read the thread, thanks Hunter.

Black9's Avatar Biarchus

Well, damn. I skim-read the OP, decided I didn't want to change morale and skipped ahead to the region swapping portion. Sorry, but thank you.

Hey I've created my mod/pack file and its showing up on mod manager, it also says i need a png image so I went and got that and put it with my modpack in TWRome2/data and when I try to use it it still sends an error messaging saying I have to put a png image with my mod.

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

First off, you dont need the image to use your own mod, only to upload it to the workshop, so if you dont need that, just tick the box in the top right corner and start playing.

As for the image, it has to be of size 256x256 pixels IIRC (crop something up in paint), and the same name before file extension​ (mod.pack = mod.png)
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Le_Swede View Post
    This has been really bugging me for some days now and I haven't found any solution. How do I turn custom made units I've made in the variant editor (saved as a "definition") into useable variantmeshes or whatever it's called?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I hate to bump my own question like this but does anyone know how to solve my problem?

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

I hate to bump my own question like this but does anyone know how to solve my problem?
    Not sure what your end goal is exactly, so it depends.

If you are editing an existing definition, which would be the case if you choose "load uniform" at the start of your editing session, then no further action should be necessary beyond packaging the mod (and possibly exporting custom colors via unit_variants_colours). A "uniform" in this case refers to a specific, preexisting unit definition file. Units are assigned a definition file in the unit_variants table, which you can view using DAVE's table launcher. The definition is referenced in the 'variants' column. In most cases, the .variantmeshdefinition file has a name that matches the unit name (exceptions for merc variants, siege crews etc which typically share common definitions).

OTOH, if you are looking to create entirely new custom units, then designing the variant_mesh definition is only one component. The bulk of the work falls outside the scope of the variant editor. I'd suggest you read one of the tutorials in the workshop on custom unit creation for PFM. I don't believe anyone has done a similar guide for DAVE, but the difference lies only in workflow. Using either tool, you need to provide entries for your new unit in half a dozen or so db tables (statistics, recruitment locations, etc)

The gist of this is that the variant editor isn't a full fledged unit editor... it's only for assigning model parts to existing units (whether your own, or vanilla).

I can't seem to find where had has all the information for what units different factions can use. HELP ME!!!$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    Not sure what your end goal is exactly, so it depends.

If you are editing an existing definition, which would be the case if you choose "load uniform" at the start of your editing session, then no further action should be necessary beyond packaging the mod (and possibly exporting custom colors via unit_variants_colours). A "uniform" in this case refers to a specific, preexisting unit definition file. Units are assigned a definition file in the unit_variants table, which you can view using DAVE's table launcher. The definition is referenced in the 'variants' column. In most cases, the .variantmeshdefinition file has a name that matches the unit name (exceptions for merc variants, siege crews etc which typically share common definitions).

OTOH, if you are looking to create entirely new custom units, then designing the variant_mesh definition is only one component. The bulk of the work falls outside the scope of the variant editor. I'd suggest you read one of the tutorials in the workshop on custom unit creation for PFM. I don't believe anyone has done a similar guide for DAVE, but the difference lies only in workflow. Using either tool, you need to provide entries for your new unit in half a dozen or so db tables (statistics, recruitment locations, etc)

The gist of this is that the variant editor isn't a full fledged unit editor... it's only for assigning model parts to existing units (whether your own, or vanilla).
    First of, thanks for answering. As I'm new to the modding scene I haven't yet learnt all the names for things but hopefully I can make myself atleast understandable. Thanks to blackheartz helpful tutorial ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-unit-with-PFM )I've figured out how to create new units. My problem however is that after I've created a new unit in the tables I can't figure out the way to implement and thus use the model parts that I've created in the variant editor. As such I'm stuck on the annoying step in which I am able to make new units but I cannot have them take any other form than already existing ones which does not make me a happy camper.

First of, thanks for answering. As I'm new to the modding scene I haven't yet learnt all the names for things but hopefully I can make myself atleast understandable. Thanks to blackheartz helpful tutorial ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-unit-with-PFM )I've figured out how to create new units. My problem however is that after I've created a new unit in the tables I can't figure out the way to implement and thus use the model parts that I've created in the variant editor. As such I'm stuck on the annoying step in which I am able to make new units but I cannot have them take any other form than already existing ones which does not make me a happy camper.
    If you haven't, you need to add an entry for your unit in unit_variants and assign the name of your definition file (just the name, without the file extension... look at the other entries in the table for an example).

If you already have an entry there, perhaps you've used a vanilla entry as a template that still references the original definition. Replace that with the name of your custom file (which must be unique).

edit: Almost forgot, I believe you also need to declare your new variant definition name in the variants table. This is just a single column table, enumerating variant defs. I would take a look at custom unit packs here on the forum and see which files are included... that's your best guide finding overlooked requirements... a functional mod.
    Last edited by Kurisu Paifuaa; January 25, 2014 at 03:56 PM.

If you haven't, you need to add an entry for your unit in unit_variants and assign the name of your definition file (just the name, without the file extension... look at the other entries in the table for an example).

If you already have an entry there, perhaps you've used a vanilla entry as a template that still references the original definition. Replace that with the name of your custom file (which must be unique).

edit: Almost forgot, I believe you also need to declare your new variant definition name in the variants table. This is just a single column table, enumerating variant defs. I would take a look at custom unit packs here on the forum and see which files are included... that's your best guide finding overlooked requirements... a functional mod.
    How do I add an entry for my unit in unit_variants? It isn't appearing as a chooseable option in the list of units.
    Last edited by Le_Swede; January 25, 2014 at 04:35 PM.

Archimonday's Avatar Senator

How exactly to you process a startpos.esf with BoB? I've made all the changes I want, but I can't seem to get BoB to export me a startpos.esf. It always fails

It tells me it cannot locate the launcher and game executable. How the hell do I fix that?
    Last edited by Archimonday; January 25, 2014 at 04:20 PM.

How do I add an entry for my unit in unit_variants? It isn't appearing as a chooseable option in the list of units.
    Presuming you've added your unit to land_units, take that key (first column) and create an associated record in unit_variants. That key goes in both the name and unit columns in this case.

If you're using PFM (I guess that's what you mean by 'choosable option... the drop down list or combo box?) record entry is a more manual effort in DAVE... use copy/paste. However, DAVE has the benefit of showing all dependent relationships to a particular column value (mouse-over the column header... this is infinitely useful ) Same goes for the record entry to the variants table. Mouse-over the column headers to see if it references something specific from another table or whether another table will lookup that value. Now that I look at variants, I see you also need to add a reference for your unit (concerning the variant name) to the battle_personalities table, if you haven't already covered that.

I would recommend adding all of your unit mod changes to the database in DAVE if you want to take advantage of the workflow. The relational indication in the column header will help guide you along and find missing or incorrect db references.

Presuming you've added your unit to land_units, take that key (first column) and create an associated record in unit_variants. That key goes in both the name and unit columns in this case.

I would recommend adding all of your unit mod changes to the database in DAVE if you want to take advantage of the workflow. The relational indication in the column header will help guide you along and find missing or incorrect db references.
    I'm working with DAVE and the problem I'm having is the step where I'm trying to get my new unit to look the way I want. When I tried it by first creating a new unit in the land_units and unit_variants tables, and as such using some other unit, in this case celtic shortsword men (or whatever their proper name is), as a placeholder in the variant column in the table unit_variants, and then loading this new uniform in the variant editor and change the shape of the unit in the way I wanted the result was that I also edited the appearance of the unit type I had used as placeholder. Was this just due to some mistake from my part or was it due to my lack of knowledge how to really do it?

Sorry for the long sentences btw!

Edit: To clearify when I load up the new unit in the variant editor its name is: Rom_Celtic_Legionnaries: Roman_Legionary

Edit nr 2: If it appears that I'm on the right path this time and my previous misadventure with it was due to some random mistake from my part I have another question: How do I save the units new appearence after its extraordinary makeover in the variant editor?

Sub-edit: Forgot to mention that nothing seems to happen when I press "Save definitions & colours".

Sub-Edit nr 2: Where, if it is the right way to do this, should I save it if I choose the option "Save definitions as"?
    Last edited by Le_Swede; January 26, 2014 at 06:01 AM.

I'm working with DAVE and the problem I'm having is the step where I'm trying to get my new unit to look the way I want. When I tried it by first creating a new unit in the land_units and unit_variants tables, and as such using some other unit, in this case celtic shortsword men (or whatever their proper name is), as a placeholder in the variant column in the table unit_variants, and then loading this new uniform in the variant editor and change the shape of the unit in the way I wanted the result was that I also edited the appearance of the unit type I had used as placeholder. Was this just due to some mistake from my part or was it due to my lack of knowledge how to really do it?

Sorry for the long sentences btw!

Edit: To clearify when I load up the new unit in the variant editor its name is: Rom_Celtic_Legionnaries: Roman_Legionary

Edit nr 2: If it appears that I'm on the right path this time and my previous misadventure with it was due to some random mistake from my part I have another question: How do I save the units new appearence after its extraordinary makeover in the variant editor?

Sub-edit: Forgot to mention that nothing seems to happen when I press "Save definitions & colours".

Sub-Edit nr 2: Where, if it is the right way to do this, should I save it if I choose the option "Save definitions as"?
    Not sure if I'm interpreting this correctly... it sounds like you've possibly saved your changes (regarding the variant edit) to the original unit's definition file... the Celtic Shortsword you used as a template. At the same time, you've created a new unit (in land_units) and linked it to the edited Celtic Shortsword definition (in unit_variants). So you now have 2 units (the original and your custom) sharing a common variant definition. Thus, your custom unit shows up in the drop down list for "load uniforms" with a unique name because you've defined it in land_units and shows your changes... however so do the vanilla Celtic Shortswords. Sound right?

Take a look at your ..\assembly_kit\working_data\ folder and you can see which files you've actually edited through both the variant editor and DAVE. You probably need to rename cel_short_swords.variantmeshdefinition (which would be the edited copy of the vanilla definition for that unit) to something unique and then fix the db references to it for your custom unit.

I'm not sure if this is what you're describing... maybe you could upload a zipped copy of your working_data folder if you can't get it sorted.

Does anyone know of a tutorial for the variant_editor in TWEAK, would love to be able to figure out how to use it.

Not sure if I'm interpreting this correctly... it sounds like you've possibly saved your changes (regarding the variant edit) to the original unit's definition file... the Celtic Shortsword you used as a template. At the same time, you've created a new unit (in land_units) and linked it to the edited Celtic Shortsword definition (in unit_variants). So you now have 2 units (the original and your custom) sharing a common variant definition. Thus, your custom unit shows up in the drop down list for "load uniforms" with a unique name because you've defined it in land_units and shows your changes... however so do the vanilla Celtic Shortswords. Sound right?

Take a look at your ..\assembly_kit\working_data\ folder and you can see which files you've actually edited through both the variant editor and DAVE. You probably need to rename cel_short_swords.variantmeshdefinition (which would be the edited copy of the vanilla definition for that unit) to something unique and then fix the db references to it for your custom unit.

I'm not sure if this is what you're describing... maybe you could upload a zipped copy of your working_data folder if you can't get it sorted.
    I've manage to sort it out, seems like the renaming was the way to go about it. Now however I get caught at the loading screen when I launch the game after I've copied the mod into rome 2:s [...]/data folder. I somewhere recall that I've read the reason and the solution for this assembly kit mod problem but I can't seem to find the comment.

Edit: What do you mean with db references btw? I believe that I'm not familiar with this.

Quote Originally Posted by person needing help View Post
    Does anyone know of a tutorial for the variant_editor in TWEAK, would love to be able to figure out how to use it.
    I'm having my own problems with understanding how to create a new customized unit but I do believe that I've grasped the understanding of editing an existing unit.
    My lackluster and noob understanding of it is as follows:

Editing an existing unit

1. File (the button in the top left corner) --> Load Uniform
    2. Choose a unit in the list and and then press open. You don't need to choose faction.
    3. Now to the actual making of the unit:

On the left side you now see a table named skin. This makes up the unit and within it you find the different "item spots" you can equip in a different way, one for helmets, one for cloaks and one for shields etc. If you right click on one of the item spots you can then add or remove spots. In the existing spots is where you find the items currently used by the unit. If you want to remove an item simply click on it and then press delete.

On the right side of the program is were you select the equipment and body for your unit. This is done by simply double clicking on the item of your choosing while you are toggled in to one of the item spots on the left. The two lists above the selectable item is where you choose between what type of items you want to look at.

Some of the items you can choose are actually a collection of similar items such as all the celtic swords. These you can easily identify by the fact that they tend to be named in the plural form.

4. When you are all done with your unit you press file --> save definition as. It is apparently (^^) important that you give the unit a unique name for your alterations to be saved.
    5. Open BOB and in the middle table, named Working Data, in the map VariantMeshes --> VariantMeshDefinitions you'll find your edited unit. Check its box and then press the start button.
    6. Your mod is now placed in the folder [...]\Total War Rome II\assembly_kit\retail\data . Copy, or drag the mod into the folder [...]Total War Rome II\data and then launch the game (make sure you have the mod checked in the mod manager first though). Your edits should now be visible in the game.
    Last edited by Le_Swede; January 26, 2014 at 07:14 PM.

Anyone know where/how to edit the shield decals? I am not talking about the color, I mean the designs. I want to change the color of the Roman Legionary decals on their shields. Thanks!