Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Satan of Oklahoma

nce_wht_guy's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: The Satan of Oklahoma

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Adrian View Post
    Because of its meaning. it symbolizes self-sacrifice and not abandoning a just cause even upon pain of death. Also there's the whole cleansing of everyone's sins by dies for them and setting and allowing the just to enter heaven.

A goat-man petting a creepy faced child symbolizes what exactly?
    It symbolizes the fact that Satan is awesome. Like Father Christmas but he gives You much cooler .
    Support Russia!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by nce_wht_guy View Post
    It symbolizes the fact that Satan is awesome. Like Father Christmas but he gives You much cooler .
    You know, every time you post something, sir, I can't help but think: "what a nice white guy." Can't think of why I'd think that, though.

Personally I think the whole idea of this statue is a hoot. The only problem I have with it is the phallic symbol, which has got to go if there's going to be children sitting in ole Satan's lap. Minus that thing, it's okay with me! So long as the Hindu gods, Buddha, Moses, Joseph Smith, and all the other religious figures are erected alongside it.

Because of its meaning. it symbolizes self-sacrifice and not abandoning a just cause even upon pain of death. Also there's the whole cleansing of everyone's sins by dies for them and setting and allowing the just to enter heaven.

Note to Adrian, ADRIAAANNN!!! Jesus ain't the only person who didn't abandon his cause even upon pain of death. Rocky wants to know where are their paintings and symbols and statues of their deaths in everybody's homes and hanging about their necks and etc?
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Logios's Avatar Senator

Self-awareness. The taming of the beast within.
    In order to act in a civilized manner we must refrain from giving in to our inner urges and desires. The child represents the frailty of the conscious mind.
    Awareness and acceptance of our emotions is the way to keep us from being taken over by fear and hatred.
    I am sure several here have experienced dreaming they were fighting a monster (dragon, beast, demon, ect.), as this is a common dream indeed, and at least in my interpretation this represents that exact struggle against the "inner demons"

it symbolizes self-sacrifice and not abandoning a just cause even upon pain of death.
    It's still a guy getting straight up executed though. Why not go the Guy Fawkes way and just make creepy masks to be appropriated by people who have no idea what Guy Fawkes was about. Or, better yet, why don't we erect a statue of Guy Fawkes jumping from the gallows so he doesn't have to be drawn and quartered? After all, it's self sacrifice and sticking with his cause to the end. It has meaning man.

Being a martyr is nothing special. Any idiot with a pulse can be stubborn and then die. I'm all for appreciating people who strive to make our world a better place, but immortalizing their execution seems like a really dumb way to do it, and meaning or not it's still creepy as hell. It is still a statue of a guy *dying*. It'd be like saying my collection of baby penises isn't creepy because it represents the frailty and naivety of youth. While it may mean or represent that to me, it's still a collection of baby penises and that's just creepy.

Also there's the whole cleansing of everyone's sins by dies for them and setting and allowing the just to enter heaven.
    Citation needed.

The blessing of free will and individualism according to Satanists. Also, it's a chair and therefore more useful than a cross (when was the last time Jesus held up your power lines for you eh?)
    Last edited by Lazarus; January 11, 2014 at 08:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Quote Originally Posted by Logios View Post
    In order to act in a civilized manner we must refrain from giving in to our inner urges and desires. The child represents the frailty of the conscious mind.
    Awareness and acceptance of our emotions is the way to keep us from being taken over by fear and hatred.
    I am sure several here have experienced dreaming they were fighting a monster (dragon, beast, demon, ect.), as this is a common dream indeed, and at least in my interpretation this represents that exact struggle against the "inner demons"
    You sir win +1 internet.

It's strange how the Satanists and the Tea Party can't find common cause, considering how their ideals are the same.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

And a creepy man being painfully executed is OK, right?
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

If you strip it of all meaning and attempt to use it bluntly in a logical fallacy because you happen to hate the religion it is associated with, no. If look at what it stands for: salvation, hope, sacrifice, selflessness, then yes it is very much OK and unless you manage to change that, it will remain OK for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Note to Adrian, ADRIAAANNN!!! Jesus ain't the only person who didn't abandon his cause even upon pain of death. Rocky wants to know where are their paintings and symbols and statues of their deaths in everybody's homes and hanging about their necks and etc?
    EARTH TO GAIDINNNNNN!!!!!!!! Wake up Giaidin

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That being said, let me know when Rocky dies and becomes a real deity. Then we will talk about people wearing rocky heads around their necks.

Quote Originally Posted by Logios View Post
    Fair point but, and this is a big but, as far as I know that's not part of the Satanist doctrine in any way. Granted I'm not exactly privy to the entirety of their beliefs but afaik they value selfishness and the survival instinct (aka listening to the beast within) over what you posted.

And why does something have to symbolize free will? Free will is not a virtue or talent, you don't gain it, you are born with it. Why not build a statue that symbolizes the pancreas or the ability to smell for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    It's still a guy getting straight up executed though. Why not go the Guy Fawkes way and just make creepy masks to be appropriated by people who have no idea what Guy Fawkes was about. Or, better yet, why don't we erect a statue of Guy Fawkes jumping from the gallows so he doesn't have to be drawn and quartered? After all, it's self sacrifice and sticking with his cause to the end. It has meaning man.

Being a martyr is nothing special. Any idiot with a pulse can be stubborn and then die. I'm all for appreciating people who strive to make our world a better place, but immortalizing their execution seems like a really dumb way to do it, and meaning or not it's still creepy as hell. It is still a statue of a guy *dying*. It'd be like saying my collection of baby penises isn't creepy because it represents the frailty and naivety of youth. While it may mean or represent that to me, it's still a collection of baby penises and that's just creepy.
    Guy Fawkes was executed for planning to kill a bunch of people and to cause a war which would have resulted in even more deaths. He didn't die because of what he believed, there were plenty of Catholics living just fine England at the time. In fact you don't even have to die to become a martyr, or dying doesn't automatically make you one. So I fail to see how he compares.
    Regardless, as I've said before, Christ's crucifixion is not considered creepy solely for the meaning it holds to most people and nothing else. It's exactly the same reason why pictures of Ghandi taken during his hunger strikes or pictures of Mandela while he was imprisoned aren't considered creepy either.

If you think that it is indeed creepy, that's your personal opinion and you are entitled to it but thus far most of the population of Oklahoma is Evangelical and for them a statue of a pedophilic goat dude (look at that thing's smile) is far creepier than "some guy's execution"

Citation needed.
    I know that "source please" is the preferred cop-out on this part of the forum, but really? Read the New Testament.

The blessing of free will and individualism according to Satanists. Also, it's a chair and therefore more useful than a cross (when was the last time Jesus held up your power lines for you eh?)
    Sorry but I'm afraid I'm not making the connection. How does a statue of a goat man with bat wings and a symbol used to summon demons above his head represent free will?

I'm also interested in your answer to the question I posed to Logios. Why does something have to symbolize free will?
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; January 12, 2014 at 05:56 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Guy Fawkes was executed for planning to kill a bunch of people and to cause a war which would have resulted in even more deaths. He didn't die because of what he believed, there were plenty of Catholics living just fine England at the time. In fact you don't even have to die to become a martyr, or dying doesn't automatically make you one. So I fail to see how he compares.
    No, he did die for what he believed. Why on Earth would he risk his life if he didn't believe in what he was doing? I never said what he believed was true, or good, or right. The point is he died for what he believed in, because apparently that makes "statues of my execution" totally not weird.

thus far most of the population of Oklahoma is Evangelical and for them a statue of a pedophilic goat dude (look at that thing's smile) is far creepier than "some guy's execution"
    They're more then welcome to think that. They are hypocrites though.

I know that "source please" is the preferred cop-out on this part of the forum, but really? Read the New Testament.
    You said it wasn't creepy because he DID those things (let us in to heaven, etc.) Without wanting to start an argument on the validity of the Bible as a source for things the Bible tells us, I merely meant that it's awfully weak ground to use as justification for why it isn't creepy.

Sorry but I'm afraid I'm not making the connection. How does a statue of a goat man with bat wings and a symbol used to summon demons above his head represent free will?
    Because that's what the goat dude does. Gives us free will and all that junk. You'd have to ask a Satanist.

I'm also interested in your answer to the question I posed to Logios. Why does something have to symbolize free will?
    When did I say all statues had to symbolize free will? I just said this particular one does that. Because it does.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Brian de Bois-Guilbert View Post
    the Church has only improved mankind in history

For this there are words, but none that abide by the ToS.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

a statue of a pedophilic goat dude (look at that thing's smile) is far creepier than "some guy's execution"
    No it isn't. How can a smile signify paedophilia anyway?

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

God-Emperor of Mankind's Avatar Apperently I protect

I really don't see the pedophilia in that statue.

EARTH TO GAIDINNNNNN!!!!!!!! Wake up Giaidin

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That being said, let me know when Rocky dies and becomes a real deity. Then we will talk about people wearing rocky heads around their necks.
    I like how you think a statue of a movie character at all answers my question. Good red herring. Now answer the damned question.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Comes Domesticorum

I guess I'm in the minority of people who thinks that it would be more significant for there to be a non-Christian symbol from a major world religion in a US state capitol than just some fringe religion whose statue is being proposed simply to elicit some response.

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Why is it so significant? This is Oklahoma here, it isn't like their capital is special. Btw i did read a story that says hindus have joined the Satanists in wanting a monument.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Comes Domesticorum

A Hindu monument of some sort would be much more significant than a Satanist monument.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    A Hindu monument of some sort would be much more significant than a Satanist monument.
    Bingo. One can literally be interpreted as a group being annoying to make a point. The other is an undeniably established world religion taking advantage of an established precedent.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Civitate

Without the Satanists wanting to gain attention, the Hindus probably wouldn't have sent a similar request the states about their own monument. Still don't see any significance to this at all. Maybe if this was the US capitol, i'd say its significant, but its Oklahoma.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Without the Satanists wanting to gain attention, the Hindus probably wouldn't have sent a similar request the states about their own monument. Still don't see any significance to this at all. Maybe if this was the US capitol, i'd say its significant, but its Oklahoma.
    State law is still state law and has to conform to certain federal standards. Oklahoma may be Oklahoma, but have you seen the insanity that Utah is going through in the past three weeks in spite of the fact that it's merely Utah? If it was just the Satanists and only the Satanists it could've been brushed aside like an annoyance, but the Hindus sort of make it a real thing and if they take it to court they can make it pretty damn hard to ignore.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    State law is still state law and has to conform to certain federal standards. Oklahoma may be Oklahoma, but have you seen the insanity that Utah is going through in the past three weeks in spite of the fact that it's merely Utah?
    Yea, but then again because its Utah here i am not so surprised. i will admit thins like this set a very nice standard for other religions to be represented in the US. So i guess i have to admit its significant in that way.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC