Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Satan of Oklahoma

nce_wht_guy's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: The Satan of Oklahoma

It's about time America's real patron and protector got some recognition.
    Support Russia!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
    Funny thing is, that were a neo nazi group wants a large swastika erected, these same people would protest. Both are symbols of evil, both are offensive to groups of people, but if it is anti-christian, its okay.
    Yeah but the Nazis actually existed and did terrible things.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Ciciro's Avatar Protector Domesticus

With all the depravity and immorality that is being accepted by society as "normal" or "equal representation" rubbish, this is not a surprise. The fact that Satan is the embodiment of evil is no big deal. Funny thing is, that were a neo nazi group wants a large swastika erected, these same people would protest. Both are symbols of evil, both are offensive to groups of people, but if it is anti-christian, its okay.
    You say embodiment of evil, I say misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Yeah but the Nazis actually existed and did terrible things.
    Pretty sure hes talking about its original meaning before the Nazis got their hands on it.

Cold_Mac's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Ciciro View Post
    You say embodiment of evil, I say misunderstood.
    I say hard childhood. Who can blame him?
    Shale: My heart does not qualify as shiny. I kill. Frequently, and not without pleasure.
    Leliana: You had a difficult life. Deep down, at the center of your being, you are a good person. I believe that.
    Shale: Even though I have never demonstrated this aspect? How peculiar.
    Leliana: You aren't all stone, Shale. There is a person inside of you.
    Shale: If so, it is because I ate it.

Pretty sure hes talking about its original meaning before the Nazis got their hands on it.
    You mean it recalls the evil of the Indus Valley Civilisations? Oh okay.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

You mean it recalls the evil of the Indus Valley Civilisations? Oh okay.
    Wait, what? He just said the swastika is hardly a symbol of evil, not that it recalls any.

Comes Domesticorum

I see no reason why this shouldn't happen.

I also don't see any reason why it should happen, either.

Wait, what? He just said the swastika is hardly a symbol of evil, not that it recalls any.
    That is not what he said. He said-

Funny thing is, that were a neo nazi group wants a large swastika erected, these same people would protest. Both are symbols of evil, both are offensive to groups of people, but if it is anti-christian, its okay.

Please improve your reading comprehension and stop wasting my time.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Fine Art
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

That is not what he said. He said-

Please improve your reading comprehension and stop wasting my time.
    I thought you were talking about Gaidins post, not Turbos. Sorry bout the confusion,

Senator

With all the depravity and immorality that is being accepted by society as "normal" or "equal representation" rubbish, this is not a surprise. The fact that Satan is the embodiment of evil is no big deal. Funny thing is, that were a neo nazi group wants a large swastika erected, these same people would protest. Both are symbols of evil, both are offensive to groups of people, but if it is anti-christian, its okay.
    Awesome, we made it to 19 posts before a Christian with no sense of irony showed up!

Yeah, only my religion deserves to be represented in public, because all these other evil sects are just wrong.
    Optio, Legio I Latina

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Gromovnik View Post
    Yeah, only my religion deserves to be represented in public, because all these other evil sects are just wrong.
    it's part of the same religion though .. just depends what side your on ..

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    I am not sure why Satan in that drawing has the symbol of Hermes? (the two snakes united over a staff).
    The caduceus started out as a symbol associated with Enki. Enki was the god associated with knowledge, craft, and intelligence. He was also the god associated with the planet Mercury. His symbol passed down to other gods whose realms revolved around knowledge and it's revelation. Hermes was one of them. Many of those gods are vilified as daemons and devils by some of the ridiculously self-righteous religions that came along after. Their symbols have been tossed together and are used in a grab bag like fashion by lonely hipsters who want to get a rise out of the followers of those above stated self-righteous religions.

It's slightly more complicated than that but you get the idea.
    Last edited by Ciabhán; January 07, 2014 at 07:23 PM.

knight of meh's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Ciabhán View Post
    The caduceus started out as a symbol associated with Enki. Enki was the god associated with knowledge, craft, and intelligence. He was also the god associated with the planet Mercury. His symbol passed down to other gods whose realms revolved around knowledge and it's revelation. Hermes was one of them. Many of those gods are vilified as daemons and devils by some of the ridiculously self-righteous religions that came along after. Their symbols have been tossed together and are used in a grab bag like fashion by lonely hipsters who want to get a rise out of the followers of those above stated self-righteous religions.

It's slightly more complicated than that but you get the idea.
    add too this that Baphomet is generally accepted as a made up idol that was used to prosecute the knights templar in France

I very much doubt any religious person would like to have their religion represented with a multitude of others. And the atheists don't want it understandably. So why do they want to build it?

Plus it doesn't help that it's horrifying to look at.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal of Carthage View Post
    I very much doubt any religious person would like to have their religion represented with a multitude of others. And the atheists don't want it understandably. So why do they want to build it?

Plus it doesn't help that it's horrifying to look at.
    Basically, there's a tendency to build Christian monuments on public lands in places that are overwhelmingly Christian on the grounds that any religion can do it- they just expect other religions not to. So this monument is basically a sarcastic way to point out how hypocritical that is.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

While i too expect most of the people involved in this to be viewing it from that angle (ie trying to effectively take down the other monument, not aim to install their own one), it is probable that some are actually weirder than that

But the proposed statue of satan is quite boring, so i have to accept that this is virtually entirely born out of a constructed attack on the existent christian statue. It would have been far more interesting to propose a satanic statue that was actually scary, but then the focus would be on other issues.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

If this was discussed on Fox, can someone find a link for some lulz please?
    Optio, Legio I Latina

Himster's Avatar Praeses

It would have been far more interesting to propose a satanic statue that was actually scary, but then the focus would be on other issues.
    That would have nothing to do with actual satanism.
    As hard as it may be to believe Satanism is actually a thing, it's a movement that venerates individualism, free-will, wisdom and knowledge. The whole idea of Satan being scary is a christian/popular media idea.

So this monument is basically a sarcastic way to point out how hypocritical that is.
    Says who?
    Satanism has a pretty large following in the states, almost 100,000, why should these people be denied the right to have their religion displayed alongside other religions?

The only argument against this statue while hypocritically allowing christian monuments is christian exceptionalism. Pure snobbery.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell