Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Anabasis Realistic Campaign Movement for DeI

Default Re: Anabasis Realistic Campaign Movement for DeI

Levins: I exported DeI 0.7 main_units tables, deleted the old ones in my mod, added the new ones, and modified the unit recruitment and upkeep costs. Now I need to see if the update created any non-crash problems (i.e. odd or unintended behaviour).
    Thank you Anabasis! Seems fairly straight forward, despite the amount of work hehe

I will try 6 and 8 for zone of control and see what happens.
    Please do. I don't have that much time the next couple of days to try out different settings, unfortunately. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Aeimnestus View Post
    Can you include a non-steam downloadlink please?
    Seconding this, I distain using Steam for anything mod related (and just Steam in general for that matter. Would be great if someone could put this up somewhere besides Steam for downloading.

Using this mod, I just had an army of Averni crossing my allies territory (Burdigala) and come out of no where with two full stacks on one of my less defended cities, all in one single turn. While I see what you have in mind with this, it really doesnt seem to work so well in term of gameplay... For me anyway. The AI sees crazy opportunities out of that super wide movement range comes out of no where. I imagine a player would be able to abuse this even more.

Really enjoying your recruitment mod though!

EDIT: Yes, I was just able to go defeat an army on one edge of a territory, and then wander back the whole region and capture an undefended settlement all the way there. I felt like I was cheating.

While the realism of distance covered is great, I feel like it would nee to come with a 8 turns per years kinda deal to actually work. I will take this mod out (I was using it mostly for the ''no more forced march'' feature which apparently helps the AI a lot, but the other changes are not for me.).
    Last edited by krunsh; January 22, 2014 at 11:09 PM.

It does require a different style of play. The agents can travel very far in one season. Get good intel about your neighbours. Evaluate their intentions and capabilities. You can't defend everywhere at once, but you can react to an invasion very quickly by bringing troops to the critical spot if you have good internal lines. The AI can, and in my experience does benefit from the same advantages.

Glad you're enjoying the recruitment mod

Leuchebreu2's Avatar Libertus

anabasis great mod my man!

Glad you're enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Moscavich View Post
    Seconding this, I distain using Steam for anything mod related (and just Steam in general for that matter. Would be great if someone could put this up somewhere besides Steam for downloading.
    What I do at this point, if I have no other option, is to subscribe to a mod on steam, make a copy of the mod file somewhere else, unsubscribe from the mod (deleting it from the data folder), then just copy and pasting the mod back into the data folder, "manually" modding it in.

Quote Originally Posted by LevinS89 View Post
    I had a similar problem to yours mate, and sorry for not getting back to you sooner Anabasis. It happened to me when Rhodes declared war on me in the 20th turn in my Macedon campaign. I arranged an army and set out to see what I could do against that, sending a spy (on a different path) as a recon. After noticing that, disregarding the seasons, my army was MUCH slower, i.e. had less movement points, than on land (I figured that somewhat realistic (?) as commanders on land have less experience at the ways of the sea than naval commanders), I began to make my crawl over to their island. My spy, having scouted the area, could not encounter any armed forces except for the garisson. I figured that this was my chance! I managed to get within "one-turn-range" of the settlement and began preparations, including sending in my spy to sabotage. The next turn, however, I could not attack due to unseen reason. I was in range with my fleet and was planning to auto-resolve the siege as I had already sabotaged their garisson twice but it was denied to me wholly.

I had another incident regarding this matter whilst early on in my Macedon campaign, conquering Antheia. However, there I figured it must've been the enlarged reinforcement zone that prevented me to attack, since the zone markers from two armies outside the settlement and the garisson's zone marker tightly overlapped each other, resulting in said enlarged reinforcement zone. It simply confused me, since there was no indication regarding the movement-line that an attack would not be possible.

I would highly appreciate this mate! This mod makes the game increasingly enjoyable. Maybe there is a way to give the AI (and ourselves) an option whether to send the garisson out to reinforce the attacked/attacking army or not. However, given the "freedom" you have to modify this game, I don't think that would be possible in the near future. Nevertheless, I can only repeat myself. Great mod. Can't wait for DEI 0.7 and according implementation/updates for this mod.

I have had a similar issue playing as the Romans, and trying to conquer Britain. I noticed that the Iceni amassed troops, while being at war with me and a couple of Gaul tribes (one of them my ally). However the Iceni never moved out of the Island, nor did the gauls tried to conquer it, they just had naval battles but never landed. When I tried to land an army myself, it was impossible to land, because the control areas where too big. They covered every single beach/landing spot.

On the other hand when army uses transports to cross water their movement is highly reduced compared to navies, while this seems logical, maybe if you increase the movement of transport a little bit, they will have enough movement points to at least cross the control zone and attack cities using their ports (yeah my army on transport could not attack their ports).

While on land battles, a few times my armies would not move because an unseen army was blocking the way, but overcome this I sent a spy to uncover the fog of war, and waited for a better season to attack the army (which to me makes total sense). You need to use a spy because if you can't click on your target, the game won't let you move through a control zone to attack.

Looking into the seaborne invasion thing.

Hey mate did u uploaded this changes to your steam version?
    Btw thanks for this mod is great

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by andrewdrakelive View Post
    While on land battles, a few times my armies would not move because an unseen army was blocking the way, but overcome this I sent a spy to uncover the fog of war, and waited for a better season to attack the army (which to me makes total sense). You need to use a spy because if you can't click on your target, the game won't let you move through a control zone to attack.
    This is actually a good side effect, game-wise, even if the UI seems clunky in how it's handled.

However, if the AI plays with FOW intelligence restrictions as the player does, I wonder if this doesn't affect it's movement options (since it wouldn't use a scout strictly for that purpose). With Shogun II, there was some evidence that the AI could not see into the FOW... it would attack undefended provinces immediately after signing trade agreements, suggesting that it used the FOW reveal along the trade route to determine weakness. Not sure about Rome II.

Hetairos's Avatar Roma Surrectum II

Quote Originally Posted by Anabasis View Post
    A note about fleets. For some reason, the fleets you begin with in the campaign have the same normal movement rates as in regular DeI and somewhat extended forced march range. Any new fleet you recruit has the extended movement ranges. I have not been able to solve this problem yet. There are some strange things about fleets. For example, they don't seem to use the travel cost values for water terrain that are specified in the DB. I'll keep trying to solve this. Any suggestions welcome.
    Hi, have you been able to solve the problem? Also do the seasonal penalties work for land AND naval units? I've also found out that there is a problem with transport ships. I've set up a extended transport ship movement range yet it doesnt affect land units at all. I mean you cant build transport ships, so do you know what the problem is there with the land units?

May I request a non steam link please?

is this still compatible with the new version?

Decanus

I have been playing this all night on 0.8c and it is working great. I have to say I very much enjoy this submod. The increased movement range really opens up the map, but the maps natural choke points allow you to really control entry into territory if you place armies well.

Is this compatible with 0.81c?

Decanus

I think you'd need to make sure Anabasis mod is loaded above DeI in mitch's mod manager.

Does this work on DeI 1.1?
    Aeimnestus was a Spartan, famous because he killed the Persian General Mardonius at the battle of Plataea.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeimnestus View Post
    Does this work on DeI 1.1?
    It does on the Grand Campaign. Not the Imper Augustus campaign yet. Fantastic mod, and a must have in my opinion. I actually like the reinforcement ranges. Ancient wars were often decided in 1 large battle per province at least.

Most countries depended on large percentages of militia, as opposed to professional troops. So it is quite realistic to attack a 20 unit stack (usually not all professionals) and have 30+ militia units to come to their support. This makes defenders have the home field advantage.

My only problem with settlement garrisons is that a professional army can replenish in 3-5 turns in a city and garrison force can take 10-20 turns to replenish. It should be the other way around (2-3 turns for garrison stacks and militia vs 5-10 turns for professionals in a city. Faster in home territory/dominant culture) because replacing militia should be much easier.

What effect does this have on the CAI? Are there any bugs?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast