Thread: Creating a World - converted battle, tooltips, shared and strat TXT files

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Creating a World - converted battle, tooltips, shared and strat TXT files

Apparently there wasn't a resource available for it.

In the download (ZIP format) are the following converted STRING.BIN files in TXT format:

1. battle
    2. tooltips
    3. shared
    4. strat

This is taken from the Kingdoms version (main game, NOT the campaigns)

Note: In the Steam version never delete the corresponding 4 string.bin files as they will not be generated again - only edit the TXT files.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 22, 2020 at 07:30 AM.

Default Re: Creating a World - converted battle, tooltips, shared and strat TXT files

How to edit the "STRAT.TXT and TOOLTIPS.TXT" files, I have tried and always give error.
    I have used notpad ++.
    Can you help me?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World - converted battle, tooltips, shared and strat TXT files

What error are you getting, please describe.
    Note: In the Steam version never delete these 4 string.bin files as they will not be generated again - only edit the TXT files.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 22, 2020 at 07:28 AM.

I'm trying to translate to Portuguese by editing the txt-files.
    Even "SHARED.TXT" was very good, since "STRAT and TOOLTIPS" after converting with "BinEditor.exe" does not work: some texts disappear and others are in defalt mode.
    if there is any tool that you can indicate me to do this conversion, or if there is any hint ... at the moment I have STRAT open in notepad ++ translating line by line to avoid losing some space or tabulation.

Look, when I use the original files (those made available in the post) without editing, good wheel. but when I edit a line ... the error mentioned above happens.
    I am using the steam client and even before version 1.3 did not steam the editing of the files already gave error.
    As you have enough experience with the engine, suddenly you know a solution, or discover a ...

Blog Entries

Steam cannot convert these edited TXT files into new STRING.BIN files, only the disk version can.
    The BinEditor cannot 'export' these edited TXT files as String.Bin files either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Steam cannot convert these edited TXT files into new STRING.BIN files, only the disk version can.
    The BinEditor cannot 'export' these edited TXT files as String.Bin files either.
    I used your text files and the Steam version converted the strat file, but not the tooltips file. Odd. I can edit both text files, but the changes only occur in-game when I edit the strat file. I only figured out that it changed it because you seem to be using a slightly different strat file of the game. Instead of the options for "Capture Settlement", "Sack Settlement", and "Exterminate Population" they were different, like, "Walk Right In", "Loot", and "Bash Some Heads In", or something similar to those. When I saw that they were different I realized the game automatically took the text file and created a string.bin from it, because the only change I had made was to paste your text files into my text folder. Once I saw that the changes were placed in-game, I went and edited the text files, but only the changes from the strat file appeared.

Blog Entries

You certainly used my files - those are easter eggs of mine

I am surprised the strat STRING file generated after you edited the TXT file (did you delete the STRING file?), my guess is however that the old one is still there - Steam certainly does not convert those four TXT files into STRING if you delete the STRING file (disk version does), tested it again just now to confirm.

HOWEVER - if you leave the STRING file then it appears it updates with the edited entries from the TXT file. Let me clarify that in the OP.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 22, 2020 at 07:25 AM.

You certainly used my files - those are easter eggs of mine

I am surprised the strat STRING file generated after you edited the TXT file (did you delete the STRING file?), my guess is however that the old one is still there - Steam certainly does not convert those four TXT files into STRING if you delete the STRING file (disk version does), tested it again just now to confirm.

HOWEVER - if you leave the STRING file then it appears it updates with the edited entries from the TXT file. Let me clarify that in the OP.
    Correct, I did not delete the strings.bin. I merely edited the strat.txt for resources that I wanted in the game. I wanted to add salt. I was able to edit the text, and save the changes. I altered nothing else about the game except that I edited the tooltips.txt file too, however, when I started up the campaign only the edits I made to the strat.txt file were applied. Thankfully, you have salt as a resource in the tooltips.txt file already (I am assuming that was an Easter Egg too), along with tar and honey. Both of those were historically common resources in the periods of the game, so I used them on my map as well. I was, however, a little disappointed that you did not add salt as a mined resource in the text file, only as a valuable resource, so that the addition of the mines does not change the script in the campaign. Some salt in the period was gathered in works, like around the Venetian Lagoon and Marseilles, but most salt throughout Europe and the Middle East was mined, and largely in Austria, Poland, Romania, and Saharan-Taghaza, from what I can tell. Either way, I was able to get working salt into the game, if only by a stroke of luck that you added it to the tooltips.txt file in place of the elephants already. Is there any way you might be able to go back and alter your tooltips.txt file to make salt a mined resource with the corresponding change in text on the elephant resource? I cannot figure out a way to edit the document for the life of me, but the game does read whatever file is already there, instead of the strings.bin. BTW, much obliged for you responding to me initially.

Blog Entries

I think I took that file from the teutonic campaign, hence all the changed resources. To get the salt mine tooltip simply add this line under the elephant entry. It works the same for any resource that requires a mine entry:

{TMT_ELEPHANTS_TOOLTIP}Salt - a valuable trade resource
    {TMT_ELEPHANTS_MINE_TOOLTIP}Salt Mines increase the profit

You can edit and save the file using Window's default Notepad editor, don't use a fancy editor as it may leave hidden formatting that messes up the file.
    Once you edit and save the TXT file the game will then update the STRING.BIN file and read from there.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 28, 2020 at 07:16 AM.

I think I took that file from the teutonic campaign, hence all the changed resources. To get the salt mine tooltip simply add this line under the elephant entry. It works the same for any resource that requires a mine entry:

You can edit and save the file using Window's default Notepad editor, don't use a fancy editor as it may leave hidden formatting that messes up the file.
    Once you edit and save the TXT file the game will then update the STRING.BIN file and read from there.
    Oddly, Steam will not change the strings.bin again. I can edit the strat.txt and shared.txt files, and the game changes the strings.bin for that, but when I edit the tooltips.txt file the changes do not show up in the game. I have never used anything to edit text files except Notepad or Notepad++, so I doubt that is the problem. I can go in and edit the text file just fine, even save the changes, close it, open it again and see my changes have been retained, but the game does not actually make the changes when I begin to play it. It is really odd. I added the lines...

...before I even began posting on here the first time, but those changes did not show up after I added them, which is why I am on here trying to find a solution to the problem. What I cannot figure out is why the original text document changed the strings.bin when I first pasted it from your download, but why none of the changes I have made since then are being applied. I have tried all sorts of things to try and trick the game into making the changes. I have deleted it, and launched the game. Then I went back and pasted it again and launched the game. I even tried making a copy, deleting the strings.bin, launching the game with just the text file, and then closing it, and then putting that strings.bin back into the game to see if the changes would stick, but to no avail. That is why I am at a loss. Typically. I can find a solution to just about any problem on my own, with enough time and energy spent, but this and the ability to change accents in the sound files have completely confounded me. No amount of changes I make to either document seems to stick.

Correction, I added the lines:

{TMT_ELEPHANTS_TOOLTIP}Salt - a mined resource

Quote Originally Posted by WarofWills View Post
    Oddly, Steam will not change the strings.bin again. I can edit the strat.txt and shared.txt files, and the game changes the strings.bin for that, but when I edit the tooltips.txt file the changes do not show up in the game. I have never used anything to edit text files except Notepad or Notepad++, so I doubt that is the problem. I can go in and edit the text file just fine, even save the changes, close it, open it again and see my changes have been retained, but the game does not actually make the changes when I begin to play it. It is really odd. I added the lines...

...before I even began posting on here the first time, but those changes did not show up after I added them, which is why I am on here trying to find a solution to the problem. What I cannot figure out is why the original text document changed the strings.bin when I first pasted it from your download, but why none of the changes I have made since then are being applied. I have tried all sorts of things to try and trick the game into making the changes. I have deleted it, and launched the game. Then I went back and pasted it again and launched the game. I even tried making a copy, deleting the strings.bin, launching the game with just the text file, and then closing it, and then putting that strings.bin back into the game to see if the changes would stick, but to no avail. That is why I am at a loss. Typically. I can find a solution to just about any problem on my own, with enough time and energy spent, but this and the ability to change accents in the sound files have completely confounded me. No amount of changes I make to either document seems to stick.
    Never mind all of that, I just found a solution to the problem. I just deleted the strings.bin in my mod and copied the tooltips strings.bin from the original unmodded game and placed it in the text folder. Then I took the edited text.file and pasted it into the folder again and the edits showed up. Marvelous. Something must have corrupted the strings.bin for the tooltips, but I cannot say what. Anyway, thank you for your help, Gigantus. Now...back to resolving my accent issue...

Blog Entries

For the accent issue post in the sounds forum, this may be a good start. In case it's the 'German' issue.
    Last edited by Gigantus; April 28, 2020 at 07:53 PM.

It is definitely not the 'German' issue. That sound forum looks like a dead thread, but I will give it a try. Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Else open a new thread in the sound workshop, describing your issue in detail, eg what you did when the issue started.