Thread: Works Fine One Day, Doesn't Launch The Next...

Default Works Fine One Day, Doesn't Launch The Next...

For 2+ years, Third Age Total War has worked absolutely fine for me. I have all the necessary updates and patches for M2TW gold, however recently, out of the blue, TATW has stopped working altogether.

Here is a synopsis of events leading up to the sudden malfunction of the mod; This, I hope, will allow the reader of this to pinpoint the issue and help me out. I will try to include as many details as I can and be as precise as possible.

January 2nd, 2014:
    I grew tired of Vanilla TATW 3.2 and decided too try the MOS submod. The submod was working fine, I was having a grand old time, then I decided to upgrade to the latest 1.6.2 version of the submod and that's where things started to go wrong. Whenever I tried to launch a campaign in 1.6.2, the screen would go black and crash to my desktop, with no error messages mind you, as if I had not even been running the mod at all. I thought must have installed the 1.6.2 patch incorrectly, so I uninstalled Third Age, deleted the residual Third_Age_3 folder left behind in the mods folder for a fresh re-install, reached into my "Downloaded Mods" folder (A folder that I keep downloaded mods in so I don't have to re download every time I re-install something) and re-installed Third Age Total War 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 all in the correct order. To make sure that it was indeed my error and that I had incorrectly installed the MOS submod, I launched vanilla 3.2. Everything worked fine, I went and chose a random campaign to start as a test, and everything started up nicely, just as it had before. Before trying to install Mos again, it was getting late, and I decided to try tomorrow and went to bed.

January 3rd, 2014 (the day Third Age stopped working):
    "What better way to celebrate Mr. Tolkien's birthday than with a game of Third Age?" I thought to myself. Remembering the trouble I had last night with Mos, I decided to just play regular old vanilla TATW 3.2. A curious thing happened though; I launched the mod, the "Third Age Total War 3.2" loading screen came up, everything seemed normal and then: blackness. The screen went black for a few moments and then quickly crashed to my desktop. No error message, nothing, as if the mod had not even been running. Exactly the same thing that happened when I tried to launch a campaign in MOS 1.6.2 the night before, only this was the un-modded TATW 3.2 and instead of a campaign, it was the mod itself. "What the heck! vanilla TATW was working just fine last night before I went to bed!" I exclaimed.

So, I uninstalled Third Age but this time, I uninstalled M2TW Kingdoms Gold as well. I Even went as far as going into my Program Files(x86) folder and deleted the residual Sega folder for a fresh install. I re-installed M2TW, re install M2TW Britannia, downloaded the Official 1.5 patch for kingdoms gold and re-installed that too. I launch the vanilla game to make sure that it wasn't the game and not the mod and everything worked fine.

Now it was time to re-install Third Age after I had debunked that it was not a problem with vanilla M2TW Kingdoms, This time, instead of going into my "Downloaded Mod's" folder and re-installing the pre-downloaded TATW files, I went on over to Moddb and re-downloaded the entire mod. My theory behind it was that the installation files that I downloaded 2 years ago (give or take) and saved on my computer became corrupted somehow and I quickly removed them before downloading the same files again.

Finally, I finish downloading TATW 3.0 part 1, part 2, 3.1, and 3.2 and I re-installed them in the correct order. I launch the mod and... same thing. Loading screen comes up for a good 1-2 minutes, goes black, crashes to desktop, no error messages. Dumbfounded and running out of time, I gave up as I had my own things to do that day.

January 4th, 2014 (today)
    Running out of ideas as to why TATW has all of a sudden, decided to stop working, I did a Virus Scan. A few hours later, Norton comes up with nothing (except a few cookies of course). Norton Isn't great, I've had it before and I know it can miss things, So I drove on down to BestBuy, and grabbed McAfee. I Get home, uninstall Norton, Install McAfee, Do a Virus Scan. NOTHING.

All of my little experiments over the past couple days has showed that it is not a virus, and it its not a problem with Vanilla M2TW Kingdom Gold, so what could it be?

I am currently at a loss, no more ideas as to why It has stopped working. The thing that is really infuriating though, and I cannot stress this enough, is that It was working fine a mere 3 days ago and the +-2 years before then.

Any Ideas, Thoughts? Or am I screwed?
    Last edited by delta289; January 05, 2014 at 10:31 AM.

Default Re: Works Fine One Day, Doesn't Launch The Next...

Your M2TW is a non steam version? And, what Windows do you have?
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    Sons of *******, leave that poor, war torn country in peace.
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.
    Let Syria be finally in peace.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Correct, non steam version, and it's windows seven.

Go here ( LINK), and do these first three steps explained for Windows 7 Users:

Edit Security for your main M2TW folder, unhide hidden folders, check VirtualStore folder for M2TW folder, and delete it if you find it there.
    American, French, Israeli and British government's ILLEGAL aggression against the Syrian people, without any proof for chemical attacks in Douma, and without waiting for OPCW to conduct their investigation..
    If you are a citizen of one of these countries, then DO NOT ask any help from me on these forums, since, in protest against this aggression by your governments, I do not provide assistance/help anymore.

A video of false chemical attack in Douma, Syria, which led to Western illegal attacks.

Heh, it worked! thank you so much.

But why, after give or take 2 years, why did it decided to stop working right there and then?

Windows feature called User Account Control probably screwed you over, it doesn`t like when you make changes to programs/files/games which are installed in PROTECTED Folders like Program Files or Program Files(x86). It probably did not like MOS submod.

You can now install submods if you want to, this usually fixes these kind of problems.

sweet, thanks