Thread: Resource requirements for buildings

Default Resource requirements for buildings

Can they be separated to aply only to Human player and not AI?

I am starting to see AI not upgrading some buildings due to fact that doesn't have an access to specific resources, and it can quite affect military in second part of the campaign.I'll not rely on CA's AI to figure out that it actually needs certain resource to better itself.

I can see that i can change dependencies in building_levels_tables , but not sure if i can separate Human and AI ones.

Crappy's Avatar Civis

Default Re: Resource requirements for buildings

You'd have to go through for each faction and duplicate all buildings that are owned by multiple factions, then remove the resource requirements on all buildings used by every other faction. You'd need 1 mod for each faction, and it would be an ENORMOUS amount of work, which just wouldn't be fair to the DeI team.

I don't think the building tables have an option to only apply effects for the AI, sadly. It would have been smart if they did, though, because then they could have fixed the "AI starves itself to death" problem by changing the -public order and -food penalties on buildings to only apply for the player. Which leaves only Crabby's method, which isn't a viable method as he says.

The only other thing I can think of is if there is a way to give resources through the handicap values table, because that can be set to only apply to the AI. If so, you might be able to give a few of the most important resources (copper, for example) to all AI factions but not the player. But the handicap table clearly isn't set up with stuff like resources in mind so I would be surprised if you could do it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappy View Post
    You'd have to go through for each faction and duplicate all buildings that are owned by multiple factions, then remove the resource requirements on all buildings used by every other faction. You'd need 1 mod for each faction, and it would be an ENORMOUS amount of work, which just wouldn't be fair to the DeI team.
    Yeah, i was not expecting Dei team to do that, tbh. Since didn't mod anything in long time, i was asking for possible way of doing it myself (for my own purposes).I should have expect that CA wouldn't leave simple option for separating AI and Human values.

I guess it will be less painful for me to remove all reqs for now till they get gold version of their mod ready. to bad though i rather liked fighting for resources ...

Quote Originally Posted by yukishiro1 View Post
    I don't think the building tables have an option to only apply effects for the AI, sadly. It would have been smart if they did, though, because then they could have fixed the "AI starves itself to death" problem by changing the -public order and -food penalties on buildings to only apply for the player. Which leaves only Crabby's method, which isn't a viable method as he says.

The only other thing I can think of is if there is a way to give resources through the handicap values table, because that can be set to only apply to the AI. If so, you might be able to give a few of the most important resources (copper, for example) to all AI factions but not the player. But the handicap table clearly isn't set up with stuff like resources in mind so I would be surprised if you could do it that way.
    So that possibly ls leaving us with option to choose between no resource requirements or make life very hard for AI...not cool I love resources reqs , but not sure at that price...
    Last edited by Tariq; January 03, 2014 at 05:37 PM.

Dresden is aware of the issue and there will be some changes. My idea would be that all building lines that are not essential for military recruitment, food, culture and public order can have resource requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarkis de Bodemloze View Post
    Dresden is aware of the issue and there will be some changes. My idea would be that all building lines that are not essential for military recruitment, food, culture and public order can have resource requirements.
    That sounds reasonable, considering the unfortunate situation where we can't separate AI and Human buildings without major effort.Meanwhile , i have tweaked that myself and will seehow it goes...

Indeed, I am aware and going forward there will be changes. A small change in the next update and a much larger one coming in the update after that.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----