Thread: Kahotep's Art Thread

Libertus

Default Kahotep's Art Thread

I love to draw and have done so since the tender age of five (I'm 24 now, and mostly self-taught). My DeviantArt gallery can be visited here. What I usually do is draw and ink on paper and then color the picture in Photoshop or GIMP.

Come Back With Your Shield
    Queen Gorgo of Sparta bids her husband Leonidas farewell by telling him, "Come back with your shield or on it".

Of course there's no evidence that Queen Gorgo was Black African or otherwise different in appearance from the Mediterranean Greek norm, but I do believe there was a black minority in ancient Greece and wanted to portray that. Besides, it can't be any more egregious an historical error than making half the Persian characters black people in certain Hollywood films.

Cleopatra VII of the Ptolemaic Kingdom
    Cleopatra VII, the last matriarch of the Ptolemaic Dynasty and the most famous of them all, stands on a balcony within eyesight of the Pharos Lighthouse in Alexandria. I wanted the piece to evoke the warm and sunny Caribbean, since Ptolemaic Egypt was similar to the modern Caribbean insofar as it represented a crossroads between European and African cultures.

Gaius Julius Caesar
    My portrait of one of the Roman Republic's last major statesman, Gaius Julius Caesar. He is perhaps best known for his vicious power struggles with other Roman politicians, his conquest of Gaul (a Celtic country located in what is now France), and his illicit relationship with the Ptolemaic Queen Cleopatra VII. However, I'll always remember him as the arch-villain from the good old Asterix comics.

I was actually a little unsure on the skin tone I wanted to give Caesar here. Roman sources do describe him as relatively fair in color, but then "fair" is a vague and relative term. On the other hand I wanted to convey that he and his Roman compatriots were predominantly of Mediterranean or Southern European heritage and thus would have looked darker than my Celtic and Anglo-Saxon ancestors. In the end I went with what I would describe as a light olive complexion.

Merneith the Fifth Pharaoh
    Merneith is a little-known female Pharaoh from the first Egyptian dynasty founded by Narmer. That's right, female Pharaohs go back all the way to the dawn of Egyptian history. Merneith apparently started out a senior wife for a king named Djet, but took over after he died in his reign's 10th year. That mace she is carrying is based on the one Narmer yields in his famous palette as he is about to crush his enemies. Whether or not Merneith ever led any armies to battle herself remains unknown for the time being.

Memnon the Ally of Troy
    In Greek mythology, Memnon was a king of “Aethiopia” (ancient Kush or Nubia in what is now Sudan) who allied with the Trojans in their Homeric conflict against the Greeks. Although a skilled warrior whom the Trojans hoped would be their savior, Memnon was characterized by a nobility which won him the favor of the Greek gods. In one episode an elderly Greek king named Nestor challenged Memnon to a fight to avenge his son, but Memnon turned him down out of respect for his age. Ironically this strength of character would lead to Memnon’s undoing, for the demigod Achilles ultimately slew him on Nestor’s behalf.

I based Memnon’s look here on a real king of Nubia named Nedjeh, who ruled between 1650 and 1550 BC. Artistic sources depict him as an archer with a bowling pin-shaped hedjet crown related to those worn by early Egyptian Pharaohs.

Default Re: Kahotep's Art Thread

Hi Kahotep, and welcome to the Graphics' Workshop!

Your work looks great, and the first thing that came to my mind when seeing your drawings, is that with your talent, you could make fantastic event images for the TW games.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    Hi Kahotep, and welcome to the Graphics' Workshop!

Your work looks great, and the first thing that came to my mind when seeing your drawings, is that with your talent, you could make fantastic event images for the TW games.
    Thank you. Now that you mention it, I could put my drawing to good use for a TW mod (especially one of the ancient-themed ones). However, I think I would be better doing concept art for units.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahotep View Post
    Thank you. Now that you mention it, I could put my drawing to good use for a TW mod (especially one of the ancient-themed ones). However, I think I would be better doing concept art for units.
    Well, there's no law preventing you from doing both.

Libertus

They Shall Dine with Hades
    Spartan hoplites form a single-file line on the Laconic plain in southern Greece, ready to do battle at Thermopylae. I wanted to make the phalanx even bigger by adding more Spartans behind the front line, but wasn't sure how to pull that off. Nonetheless I am proud that I managed to draw a scene with multiple soldiers in it for once.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Absolutely lovely work! I'm always in awe of people with a talent for drawing and painting... I hope we can see more here!

Libertus

Socrates and Plato
    The famous Athenian philosopher Socrates has a thoughtful conversation with his student Plato. In this picture Socrates is the black dude in purple whereas Plato is the Mediterranean-looking guy in yellow. Of course their poses were drawn from Raphael's famous painting of these two characters.

Libertus

Queen Gorgo of Sparta
    My interpretation of Queen Gorgo of Sparta, the clever and influential wife of the famous King Leonidas who fought at Thermopylae. This is actually the second time I drew this historical queen, but I was so fond of my first design for her that I wanted to draw her again. The scene of course draws from the movie 300, but I wanted her costume and general appearance to differ a lot from the Hollywood version.

Libertus

King Leonidas of Sparta
    My portrait of Leonidas, the valorous warrior king famous for leading 300 Spartans against the Persians at Thermopylae. Most people these days know him from Gerard Butler's shirtless portrayal in the 300 movie, but I wanted to depict my (hopefully more accurate) interpretation as better-armored and more Mediterranean-looking.

Libertus

She is a Little Shy
    Just a random African princess I doodled. She doesn't necessarily come from a specific region in Africa, although her necklace of discs was inspired by those worn by traditional Zimbabwean ladies. Maybe she hails from the Great Zimbabwe civilization which thrived during the Middle Ages?

Libertus

Face of Socrates

Quick facial portrait of Socrates, one of the most famous philosophers that Classical Athens produced. Unfortunately he remains an enigmatic figure in Greek history since all our knowledge of his beliefs and teachings come from his students' writings rather than his own. Nonetheless his pioneering methods of inquiry have influenced not only modern Western philosophy but also the scientific method.
    Last edited by Kahotep; January 03, 2014 at 01:02 AM.

ThatOtherGuy's Avatar Tiro
    Denver or Seattle, Depends on the time of year.

Why is Socrates black?

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOtherGuy View Post
    Why is Socrates black?
    Somewhere I heard the rumor that he was black, so I wanted to depict him as such. In truth I don't think it all that probable though.

Libertus

And now for some completely different subjects...