Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 12 - Apr 24)

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 8 - Aug 17)

9. Koguma

March 1866, Seto Naikai

”Sakura sakura, noyama mo sato mo, mi-watasu kagiri…”

The words of the familiar spring folk song rang through my head even as our ship cut through the waves. The journey to Hiroshima was a short one I’d made many times before, but my love of firm land meant I was grasping at anything to distract me from the hypnotic rocking motion. This particular journey would be different to any other though. In the past I’d often travel alone between Choshu-han and home, and occasionally at Takamori-sama’s side. But this time I stood at the head of six hundred Satsuma men. Growing up I’d often wondered what it meant to be samurai – the word was often bandied around without much in the way of tangible meaning. But right now the concept of being samurai felt very real indeed. This must be what being samurai stood for, I decided, fighting for one’s beliefs, one’s loved ones, in the face of tyranny. The past months had been difficult, that much was clear. At Takamori-sama’s insistence the men continued to train through the winter months, and Kebin-san duly continued the drills in spite of the unstable weather. But now that those days were over, a palpable sense of excitement has taken over the men. We all knew some of us would never see Kagoshima again, but for now that was put aside. Every man knew his duty – the duty to his clan, to our banner.

“So who gave you that then, Shinichi?”

I looked across the wooden table which divided our cabin. Never one for honorifics or much courtesy, Kebin-san was sat with his legs upon the table, and his chair balanced only upon its hind legs. A faint whiff of the liquid he called scotch emanated from his general direction. The man’s state would have been frowned upon had it been any of our clansmen, but was not unknown for the Englishman. As I looked up I found the gaikokujin pointing to the object in my lap – headgear adorned with black horsehair. Kebin-san must have been aware each of our six hundred had one.

“It’s called the Koguma – black bear. A good luck gift from the families back in Kagoshima for the men, a reminder of what we’re fighting for.”

Kebin-san looked oddly disappointed at the news that everybody on our vessel owned one, and that he was the only one without. I’d have arranged for one had I know he’d care about the sentiment involved, I thought. It was his next question that followed which caught me by surprise.

“Oh…so who gave you yours?”

“Nobody,” I stammered. I hoped he wouldn’t press for an answer, but press he did.

“Oh come on, you don’t think I know it’s some girl? With your looks and rank I’m surprised you don’t have extras that I could borrow.”

I grabbed a handful of shogi pieces from the table and threw them at my tormentor. Even as I did so though, flashbacks of a tearful Yuko-chan washed through my consciousness. This campaign could not have been a surprise for many at home, given the length of time we’d been training, but somehow the girl still managed to be deeply upset when I informed her of my impending departure. Uncharacteristically so, I thought at the time.

“I had a girl once, back in Malacca. I thought we’d settle and have children. How wrong I was…”

I looked across the cabin, surprised at Kebin-san’s sudden moment of self-reflection. In the past year we’d conversed mostly about battle tactics and training the men – I belatedly realised I knew next to nothing about our captain’s person. As words fell out of the gaikokujin’s mouth I found myself astounded by his sudden bout of candour, but also the sadness of his tale. He’d met her while on duty with the East India Company. She travelled with their army and he’d wooed her from India to Malacca. They’d even made plans to return to England together and start a family. But upon his return from Macao he found the girl in the arms of another man. The shock of heartbreak was apparently what drove the man to seek his fortunes in a land as far away as our own.

“That’s my story then, so what’s yours? What’s her name?”

“Yuko, Yuko-chan, she’s…just a friend. We’ve known each other since we were children.”

“Friend? Doesn’t seem like it from the way you’re clutching her gift. Hahaha…”

More shogi pieces were sent flying as Kebin-san pressed home his theory that Yuko-chan was my “honey”, cueing bouts of laughter and mockery from the insufferable gaikokujin. My torment was only spared by the voices above deck calling the sighting of Hiroshima port.

“LAND!!”

Light rain descended upon Hiroshima as we disembarked. The town itself had changed little since we’d last visited, but the mood among the populace was clearly far removed. I remembered this town as a quaint, relaxed affair. But now the locals seemed to stride about with an intense sense of purpose, each going about their business in silence as the rain fell around them. Seemingly affected by the sombre tone among the locals, our own men were quiet as we unloaded our equipment. The fight against the shogun would not be easy, I knew, but there was no other way. The gods would help us, for our cause was just, Takamori-sama had said.

Out of the corner of my eye I caught the sight of dock workers gingerly unloading the Gatling gun we’d brought from Kagoshima. Guraba-sama’s ungodly contraption would aid our just cause, I knew.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 05:11 AM.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 9 - Aug 17)

So, the soup-broth thickens...

I look forward to more!

Great stuff. Hadn't read this in ages but reading it again was a reminder of the truly wonderful gift you possess. I hope we get to see more of this European captain, he seems like an interesting character. Hope you get around to updating this again soon.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

I heartily agreed with the two above. I hope you find time to continue to update this
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    So, the soup-broth thickens...

I look forward to more!
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Great stuff. Hadn't read this in ages but reading it again was a reminder of the truly wonderful gift you possess. I hope we get to see more of this European captain, he seems like an interesting character. Hope you get around to updating this again soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    I heartily agreed with the two above. I hope you find time to continue to update this
    Thanks a lot for the comments guys - it means a lot.

P.s. I made a few edits to the first few chapters on account of historical locations, etc.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; August 23, 2014 at 10:59 AM.

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

10. Gatling

June 1866, Choshu-han

The winds blew lazily through the valley, ruffling the trees on both sides of the main road as they passed. The enemy had grown from a blur in the distance to what was now a distinguishable band of men. Mostly were equipped in the old ways, and the black and gold of their banner could be made out despite the distance. The Aizu must have numbered in the thousands, I thought as they approached.

A full year after a second punitive expedition was announced against Choshu-han, the shogun’s show of power had finally begun. The enemy navy opened proceedings, bombarding Suo-Oshima in the east. Elsewhere forces nominally loyal to the shogun had begun a series of moves towards Choshu-han. Takamori-sama himself led Satsuma men in what appeared to be an incursion into Choshu-held lands on Kyushu, so as not to arouse suspicion from Edo. Presently we stood on the southern route to Hagi, the capital of Choshu domain, defending it from the shogun’s lackeys. We numbered just over six hundred – a fraction of the foe before us, but our confidence lay in being better equipped. Looking to my side I could see Kebin-san staring intently into the distance, his right hand rested firmly on the butt of his sword. Neither of us spoke.

Four hundred paces…

I found my thoughts distracted by the banners fluttering before us. Instead of the familiar Shimazu kamon, we stood beneath banners bearing Mori heraldry. We must help Choshu-han, but our presence must be undetected, Takamori-sama had demanded. As much as the events of the past year had improved our chances, we were still outmatched by the shogunate forces that were multiples our own. As it stood I, Beppu Shinichi – the acclaimed Shimazu warrior that I was not – stood between Choshu-han and the shogun’s vanguard. Matsudaira Katamori was several years my senior, but the Aizu patriarch was well known for being one of the youngest daimyo of all. One of the most fervent among the shogunate ranks, it was little surprise he was chosen to spearhead the Tokugawa’s advance. We would need to be on our guard, I knew. My only experience with Katamori was years ago in Edo. His penchant for being a staunch traditionalist would help us, I told myself. The men readied their guns.

Two hundred paces…

I glanced at Kebin-san who stood by my side. His eyes were steeled, and fixed upon the approaching foe. There was something deeply unusual about the sight of a gaikokujin in Choshu-han, I pondered, but kept my thought private. Sensing my gaze Kebin-san turned slightly. I nodded as solemnly as I could manage – the men had trained hard in recent months, but Kebin-san’s experience in orchestrating drills had proven invaluable. Most of these men have never done so much as gut a chicken, much less kill a man. But irrationally or not I felt they would prove themselves useful this day. This was what being samurai was about, to defend one's homeland, I told myself as I levelled my rifle. We wore the colours of another clan, but ultimately this would be the start of a battle for much more. The men either side of me took aim at the approaching mass of men. Kebin-san would judge when the enemy would be in range, and soon the killing would begin. We could expect to fire off five, maybe six volleys, before the enemy could close within a hundred paces.

“FIRE!!”

The clatter of gunshots was soon followed by plumes of smoke and the odour of gunpowder. Watching the men as the ranks shuffled between each other I marvelled at the proficiency they displayed. The Aizu archers fired back, and the deadly projectiles rained down on our ranks, drawing cries of agony where they found their mark. It was quickly evident that we had the upper hand in the duel – not to mention our gunfire had caused considerable confusion in the Aizu ranks. It didn’t take long before our enemy realised their mistake, and the first row of samurai began their charge. Blocking out the sulphurous fog that had engulfed us, I tightened my grip on the brass handle before me.

Fifty paces…

Time seemed to crawl to a halt as the gunners before me hurried behind the Gatling's line of fire. As the gun accelerated a deafening, staccato, racket exploded across the plains before us. Bullets rained forth from the barrel at an alarming rate, and soon formed a continuous stream of death raining down upon the enemy. Three of the enemy were killed in an instant, and more quickly followed as spurts of crimson spilt forth from their midriffs. We could see the whites of the men’s eyes now, and the expressions of astonishment etched on their faces were testament to the advantage this machine afforded us. Rotating the Gatling’s lever as fast as I could, I felt adrenaline cascade through my veins. The etched bronze handle of the Gatling grated against the palm of my hand, but the sight of the fallen Aizu samurai spurred me on. Unbridled fear – I was trained in the art of the sword, but ultimately untested in genuine combat – overrode any temptation of relenting. For a moment the remainder Aizu samurai were caught between continuing their advance and merely escaping the harbinger of death in our possession. Before long all lay slain before us.

The closest any of our foe had come to reaching our position was twenty paces. Ten or so of our men were injured or dead from the enemy’s fire, but in return we had slain over a hundred of their best. The Gatling’s immense weight meant we could not march it towards the Aizu, and our lack of numbers meant we could not afford to charge their ranks. The Aizu, for their part, seemed reluctant to risk another assault.

For a moment there was stalemate, and an eerie silence fell upon these killing fields, broken only by the groans of dying men and the occasional crow.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; September 13, 2014 at 10:36 PM.

Hitai de Bodemloze's Avatar 避世絕俗
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 10 - Sep 13)

I don't think slow burners and gatling guns go hand in hand

we were still outnumbered by the shogunate forces that numbered multiples our own.
    Feels a little clunky to me, using 'numbered' twice.

and the deadly projectiles rained down on our ranks drew cries of agony from their victims
    Should probably be: 'and the deadly projectiles that rained down on our ranks drew cries of agony from their victims' or 'and as the deadly projectiles rained down on our ranks they drew cries of agony from their victims'.

The Gatling is a distraction.

Thanks for exposing my lack of proofreading.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 8 - Aug 17)

What would you do without me?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin de Bodemloze View Post

”Sakura sakura, noyama mo sato mo, mi-watasu kagiri…”
    Was that meant to be a reference to Ukita no Yabou by the way?

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Guy gets a Japanese name change and thinks he's the authority on it...

In all seriousness though, that was excellent, and I cannae wait to see what you decide to do as the hammer to your anvil.

Another great chapter. Interesting to see which way the battle goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitai de Bodemloze View Post
    What would you do without me?

Was that meant to be a reference to Ukita no Yabou by the way?
    Sakura sakura's an age old folk song, but yes now you mention it Akaie did use it too, albeit in translated form.

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    Guy gets a Japanese name change and thinks he's the authority on it...

In all seriousness though, that was excellent, and I cannae wait to see what you decide to do as the hammer to your anvil.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Another great chapter. Interesting to see which way the battle goes.
    Thanks for the kind words guys.

I've left this for too long, but more is on the way.

11. Do or die
    June 1866, Choshu-han

RATATATA…

The rattle of the Gatling filled our ears as the enemy approached. The Aizu ranks were thinner now, and corpses were now strewn across the field before us, but our ammunition was also being depleted at a worrying rate. Stunted by the firepower of the Gatling, the enemy had spread themselves over a wider arc. The distance we kept between ourselves and our foe meant we’d been able to pick off those that had ventured too close, but it was clear that the Aizu had slowly gained on our positions. Kebin-san had trained our men in the arts of hand to hand combat, but facing hundreds of seasoned Aizu samurai with a scatter of farm hands and laymen was still going to be an exercise in futility, I suspected.

Click–

The loud clatter from my side surprised many of our men, but I scarcely needed to look to know that it meant the Gatling had jammed. Guraba-san’s contraption was powerful beyond imagination…when it worked, but it was also prone to lapses in reliability. Turning again towards the field before us it was clear that the setback had cost us invaluable time, and that the Aizu men were now far closer than at any point during the day. Time seemed to freeze still as I watched the enemy’s advanced. Eyeing Kebin-san one last time, I found the Englishman’s focus almost settling – he may have been a soldier of fortune, but there was little need for him to put his life on the line like this.

For Satsuma..!!!

With the Aizu bearing down on our positions, one last volley of of gunfire clattered forth before the sound of swords being drawn filled the sky. As the men propelled themselves forward, the familiar sound of the Shimazu rallying cry rang across the field of battle. We fought under the Mori banner out of necessity, but there was little doubt what these men readied themselves to die for. Picking my opponent I felt adrenaline course through my veins. As the distance closed time seemed to slow, and I could pick out the whites of my enemy’s eyes. I may have been the leader of this mob – at least in name – but for a moment my own survival seemed secondary, for our fates were now tied as one.

Dodging the initial strike of my foe, I struck back with all the strength my arms could muster. The clang of metal striking metal was accompanied by cries of agony all around me, and I felt anger swell up within me. Eager to remain on the front foot I began hacking furiously at my opponent – there was a time for finesse and technique, but now was not that time. Seemingly taken aback by my aggressiveness, the Aizu samurai was forced into a series of blocking moves before finally an opening presented itself, and my wrists felt the crunch of flesh and bone as my blade found its mark.

Surveying my surrounding it was apparent that any semblance of strategy had long vanished. The fighting had dissolved into a muddle of individual duels. We had taken casualties, of course, but so had the Aizu. For the most part we held our ground well. All the while bullets from the Aizu teppo continued to fly overhead, finding their mark in friend and foe alike. Identifying another opponent I propelled myself forward with crazed zeal I scarcely knew existed within me. My initial strike was so fierce that my opponent’s sword left his grasp, but my lack of control caused me to trip on one of the corpses under foot. Struggling frantically to regain my footing, I was filled with shock and relief in equal parts as the straight edge of Kebin-san’s sword burst through the torso of my foe.

“Get up lad, there’s work to be done!”

Taking Kebin-san’s hand I regained my footing. A few dozen of our men now lay writhing on the muddy grass, nursing their wounds, but the enemy had thinned too. How much longer we could last like this, I did not know, but bloodlust had overtaken all of by now, and I found myself looking for my next opponent…

…hoot…

I’d lost count long it had been since my early fall, how many of the Aizu I’d killed or how many of our men had been lost. We had held our ground on this cursed patch of mud and grass, albeit at great cost. Kebin-san was still slashing enthusiastically at the enemy, but the remainder of the ranks were thinner now. As the eerie coo of the kabura arrow filled my years the Aizu samurai inexplicably seemed to lose their will to fight, and turned their backs to us.

The Aizu retreat was as sudden as it was inexplicable. We declined to give chase – there were too few of us remaining to mount an effective counter-attack – but it was clear something monumental had just occurred. In the distance I could see a troop of cavalry arriving from the south. The lead sported a kamon I did not recognise.

Watching the Aizu abandon the fight I couldn’t help but yell out in joy. But as my mouth opened fire filled my chest, and agony exploded through my torso as I felt myself blown backwards. I could see our men react in horror around me, but then everything quickly fell into a blur.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 06:12 AM.

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 11 - Dec 14)

Good to see this up and going again but with that cliffhanger you can't go another month, not even another week without giving us another update. That would just be cruel beyond belief.

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Good stuff Interested to see who these horseborn 'rescuers' are.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Wow! What a cliffhanger! I'm with MoV. You can't leave us hanging [emoji23]
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

NCR's Avatar Libertus

The battle went well then the commander falls down...what awaits us next? Can't leave us with this cliffhanger!

12. Homeward
    June 1866, Choshu-han

Ugh…

Slowly coming to my senses, I found myself squinting from the piercing rays of sunlight which shone through the windows. As I tried to raise an arm to shield my eyes however, a bolt of searing pain shot through my shoulder. Trying to right myself resulted in similar agony. Lying prone on the bed then, I surveyed my surroundings as best as I could by craning my neck slowly in various directions.

Gone were the sights and sounds of the battlefield – the smell of sulphur, the repetitive thunder of the Gatling, the sight and sounds of dying men. Instead around me was an austere, wooden room. There was little in the way of decoration on the white wall panels, or trappings which could help me identify my surroundings. But two things were certain, I realised. Firstly, I was alive. Secondly, the fact I was surrounded by sheets and not chains must have meant we’d prevailed against steep odds, and that I’d been rescued by friend rather than foe.

The lone element which lingered from the battle against the Aizu – however long that had been now – was the smell of blood. While in battle the stench of blood was all around, emanating from the bodies which lay all around, presently a stale stench became increasingly obvious as more of my senses returned to me. Looking towards my feet I recoiled at the sight of dried blood – splattered all over the sheets, and across my shoulder and torso. But once again my movement caused agony to explode in my midriff.

“Aniki-“

I tilted my head at the sound of a familiar voice, and was soon greeted with the sight of my brother emerging through the doorway. Eager to fill in the gaps created by my unconsciousness, I fired a series of questions at Shinsuke. How long had I been unconscious? How had the battle ended? Where was Kebin-san – or in fact the men we’d fought with? How many had survived? What had become of the Gatling? Over the next half hour my brother would proceed to explain the events which saw the shogun’s expedition come to an inauspicious end.

I had apparently been out for two days. The shogunate navy had destroyed much of the Hagi town machi from afar. But the Aizu and Jozai domains aside, few of the southern clans had engaged in serious fighting in the shogun’s name, and our conflict was but a handful which had actually occurred. The losses we suffered were many – of the six hundred in our company, only half had lived to see the sun rise again. But Kebin-san and I had been among them, and the Gatling had remained in our possession. Shinsuke – for his part – had ridden with the regiment cavalry that eventually became our saviours. Led by one of the senior Mori retainers, they were ostensibly sent once the threat to the Choshu capital itself was deemed immaterial.

“This Gatling, I didn’t get to see it in action,” the exasperation was clear from Shinsuke’s voice, “the men said it had served the purpose of a hundred men, and killed many of the Aizu.” In the bedridden state I found myself powerless to object to my brother’s bloodlust. But before I could open my mouth to chastise Shinsuke, the substantial form of Kebin-san had materialised in the doorway behind him. In his arms was an object I didn’t expect to see again, but which brought warmth to my heart.

“Yours, I believe,” Kebin-san said as he tossed the koguma in my direction. Blood and dirt had formed unsightly clumps on the black fur. But as I gingerly set my hand on the bonnet I took significant comfort in the return of my sending off gift.

“We sail for Kagoshima in three days,” Kebin-san began, “word from the messengers is that our presence here must be short-lived. You on the other hand are free to remain here in Choshu, until your injuries are healed. In your present state it’s probably best if you didn’t travel.”

“No, I will join the-” I objected. My coughing sent more bolts of pain through my torso, and Kebin-san’s advice was probably wise given my predicament. After all that had happened however there was few things I looked forward to more than to see home again. To see the sights of the harbour, the townsfolk, and...
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 06:59 PM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 12 - Apr 24)

Welcome back, Robin! An enthralling chapter, immersing the reader through Shinichi's senses and through the questions which he is asking as he wakes. I like the way that he deduces what happened while he was unconscious, based on his circumstances now. I look forward to the continuation of your story. (I also noticed that you are restoring the images in Takeda - which is very good news.)

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The Wings of Destiny - a FotS AAR (Updated Chapter 12 - Apr 24)

A beautifully-written chapter (but then, I would expect nothing less from Robin de Bodemloze), and a nice way to return to this - with Shinichi recovering, rather than dead, and the gatling saved. I particularly liked Shinsuke's disappointment at not having seen the gatling in action. I wonder whether he will be so enthusiastic once he's seen it, or whether its power might make him feel cautious as well as impressed. I hope we'll find out!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123