Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: shogun 2 is still the best

lawandorder82's Avatar Ducenarius

Default shogun 2 is still the best

i still love shogun 2 total war good dlc fun and exctieing campiagn still the best by far
    Albundy for president 2019 my lets play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9iZV...azsoGel3_b_7rA

omzdog's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: shogun 2 is still the best

Yes, Fall of the Samurai expansion on multiplayer was spot on.

Coordinating firing lines against humans was challenging, frustrating, entertaining, and getting beat was always a trip.
    Fighting other people's modern armies using only kachi units was the best.

yes the swords vs guns was very fun
    Albundy for president 2019 my lets play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9iZV...azsoGel3_b_7rA

Earl Dibbles Jr's Avatar Campidoctor
    On a need-to-know basis, and you don't need to know.

Medieval 2 is the best to me, Shogun's campaign bored me due to every faction seeming the same.

But multiplayer...

CoconutFred's Avatar Senator
    Your local ShopRite, at 5% off on Fridays.

Ugh, MP in M2 was horrendous. Rome 1 is still top spot there for me though.

Then again, I just never liked the way M2 felt. It might have been the blue-grey tint over everything or the clunky sounds but I could never really get over the way the game presented itself - though mods probably made that game the high point of the TW series.

For campaign M2 was bearable with mods, I can't wait till EB2's alpha release especially since they got new environments.

For MP M2 seems extremely sluggish, glitchy units, unresponsive stuff, just the overall game was sluggish then you add in lag... At least from what I've seen.
    MP was always part of TW since Shogun 1 and I was reading through the old threads and Shogun 1 had a really tight knit friendly community.

Now I just get dropped half the time, trash talked a quarter, and face other exploiters in the other; BS I say. Lets not forget that today I faced another cav dragger, and two droppers...
    Last edited by BroskiDerpman; December 19, 2013 at 09:45 PM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

My favourites have to be Shogun 2 and Napoleon. Multiplayer and campaigns for Medieval 2 were unbearable, the battles were really enjoyable though but they always resulted in deadly cluster s. Rome 1 is also really fun for multiplayer and battles but the campaigns could have been better (better than the M2 campaigns in my opinion though).

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

As for now Empire with Darthmod and M2 with mods is my favos for now. Just love Empire because the map is super big and so many different units/Clans/Religions.

M2 is fun but it was hard as hell with mods I still rember beating it with the hre and playing as papal states and haveing the pope lead the army and im roman catholic so it was funny lol but shogun 2 with fots and rots and the regular campign mode is just awsome I like empire with darthmod too fun with warpath.

Personally I think that Rome and Medieval 2 were massively better than this; while all Total War games are rubbish while unmodded, Rome and Medieval 2 were much easier for modders to fix. We cannot have the equivalent of Europa Barbarorum for Shogun 2.
    A message to CA:

Either care about history or improve modding support.

gangstamaori's Avatar Miles

I strongly dislike the MP for Shogun 2. You should just pick your army and fight someone. Leveling up also means your general is more expensive so you can use less units, or so I remember. The lack of an ability to mod is also quite annoying, especially in regards to the Otomo dlc.

However, Shogun 2 is very enjoyable. The main game and dlcs are all very fun, and it is in my opinion the best vanilla total war game. The battles are fun, it is just a shame about that MP.

"The disgraced and the disinherited. This is my army. This is our best hope."

I've never played an historical RTS with the level of online multiplayer battles like Shogun 2.

I can't recall the countless battles I've played.
    Sieges at Atsu Castle.
    Pitch battles at plains and hills.

Trying to coordinate allies and troops.
    Thinking logically in real time.
    Realizing I've lost if I don't defeat a key unit.
    Hiding units behind hills to avoid arty hits.
    Finding out when a skirmish turns into a moment of victory.

I've never spent so much time attempting to exploit human error.

Quote Originally Posted by omzdog View Post
    I've never played an historical RTS with the level of online multiplayer battles like Shogun 2.

I can't recall the countless battles I've played.
    Sieges at Atsu Castle.
    Pitch battles at plains and hills.

Trying to coordinate allies and troops.
    Thinking logically in real time.
    Realizing I've lost if I don't defeat a key unit.
    Hiding units behind hills to avoid arty hits.
    Finding out when a skirmish turns into a moment of victory.

I've never spent so much time attempting to exploit human error.
    Remove the word "historical" from your post and you are right. Players can have tremendous fun with this game, but it has about as much to do with history as the film "The Last Samurai" does, and is so arcade that it should really be called "Shoguncraft 2".
    A message to CA:

veljus's Avatar Miles

Correction: M2TW is still the best.
    "They took my fries. I took their lives."

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr Vasilyevich Suvorov View Post
    Remove the word "historical" from your post and you are right. Players can have tremendous fun with this game, but it has about as much to do with history as the film "The Last Samurai" does, and is so arcade that it should really be called "Shoguncraft 2".
    Historical in the adjectival 'of history' semantic definition.
    As in the setting is in the past.
    Not historical in the adjectival 'strictly realistic'.

So I'm saying its a RTS set in history, as opposed to C&C.

Quote Originally Posted by veljus View Post
    Correction: M2TW is still the best.
    I agree. My loyalties lie with Rome and M2, or, more accurately, with RTR, EB, Stainless Steel, TATW and Broken Crescent mods.

Quote Originally Posted by omzdog View Post
    Historical in the adjectival 'of history' semantic definition.
    As in the setting is in the past.
    Not historical in the adjectival 'strictly realistic'.

So I'm saying its a RTS set in history, as opposed to C&C.
    It's set in a parallel universe where the laws of common sense do not apply. C&C is also set in a parallel universe where even less makes any sense, so it only goes further in that direction. I admit that Shoguncraft 2 is "historical" in the loosest sense, as is the film "The Last Samurai".
    A message to CA:

What you mean by parallel universe is the concept that no game, no matter how great its development,
    will ever be able to perfectly emulate real life in past, present, or future.

As such all pieces of software are in technicality 'set in a parallel universe',
    where the laws of interaction have no correlation to their IRL counterparts.

The general point though is that that emulation comes close enough to a human observer that is satisfactory.
    Which is why I use the adjective 'historical' in that it is attempting to emulate historical events for human interpretation.

Not historical in that it is of, or based entirely in, history.
    Archaeologists don't dig up release date copies of Shogun2.

Besides that, "The Last Samurai" is based (liberally) on the Satsuma Rebellion.
    I would argue that its Hollywood interpretation, no matter how much it treads on fact, is indeed historical
    in its attempt to tell an ancient tale. Shogun 2 fits this idea.

I understand your point. In a limited way, it is historical, but its interpretation is so liberal that Republicans would want to shoot it on sight.
    A message to CA:

Errmm so what was the point of that? The comparison between the American political party of Republicans to historical "realism" makes almost no sense whatsoever; that itself isn't realistic either if you think of it.

A game is a game and will never be realistic; but it can be believable through its interpretation of historical facts and it's implementation of historical facts. What omzdog just wrote.

Could you say having a turn based system is realistic? Or buttons to click? A scaled campaign map with models at an viewable scale? 3d models clipping through? The whole game is unrealistic if you think of it; it's just whether the experience is believable, and to put the cherry at the tip, variety.
    炸鸡

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast