Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: [submod] - fire at will for roman legionary units updated for 0.95

K.i.S's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: fire at will with gladius default weapon submod

hi dude thanks for the super addition! please tell me you added this option only for the Romans or the entire infantry which has thrown weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by K.i.S View Post
    hi dude thanks for the super addition! please tell me you added this option only for the Romans or the entire infantry which has thrown weapons?
    Can confirm that armenian legionaries have this ability too. I'd assume it just somehow connected with such unit as legionaries, maybe they all have same table or whatever it is, don't know, I'm zero at modding.

Hi everyone,

How do you use this mod?

I want to be able to choose fire at will.

BTW, What does "Fire at will 1" & "Fire at will 2" mean?

The amounts of pila each soldier can throw? If anyone can explain this, I'd appreciate it.

Please help.
    Thank you!

hellas1

dude, I don't think this mod works anymore....Use mine, its updated for .85c with a video demo. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-PILUM-fOR-85C
    ITS ME "THE DUDE" AND I STILL HATE ELEPHANTS!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/thegamersdude1

Quote Originally Posted by Ant909 View Post
    dude, I don't think this mod works anymore....Use mine, its updated for .85c with a video demo. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-PILUM-fOR-85C
    This does seem to be working still with 0.85d (beta patch). Also awesome let's play, looking forward to future Carthage videos.

Megasalexandros's Avatar Campidoctor

can we have an update of that mod?
    MACEDONIA ETERNAL GREEK KINGDOM

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

I second that.

Baldos's Avatar Tiro

I second that second!

would be great indeed

Senator

just a heads up im playing r2 again and im currently updating fire at will. testing it atm. should be up soon.

uploaded.
    Last edited by lesterthenerd; August 04, 2014 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lesterthenerd View Post
    just a heads up im playing r2 again and im currently updating fire at will. testing it atm. should be up soon.

uploaded.
    THANK YOU!!!

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by lesterthenerd View Post

uploaded.
    Is it possible to make it work for the post reform units aswell? Tried it out in my current roman campaign and it is only the early units that get the fire at will option. I guess it would mean removing the pilum ability and replace it?

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    Is it possible to make it work for the post reform units aswell? Tried it out in my current roman campaign and it is only the early units that get the fire at will option. I guess it would mean removing the pilum ability and replace it?
    Yeah i haven't got up to recruiting reformed units yet. I'll add it to them too. Will upload soon.

From the custom battle menu i only see 4 reformed units with throw javelin ability. I'll be adding fire at will to them.

Did you mean any other units?
    Last edited by lesterthenerd; August 04, 2014 at 10:22 PM.

Paladin247's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: [submod] - fire at will for roman legionary units updated for 0.95

This works with Dei 1.04a; just installed it using Mitch's Mod Manager and placed ahead of Dei in order. Tested in a field battle vs. Athens. All cohorts on the engaged flank expended all or nearly all of their javelins at the attacking Athenians. This is the first time I've seen this in either vanilla or Dei. One thing I did notice in the end of battle placard was that two cohorts which expended all their javelins were credited with zero kills which seems a little odd.
    Great work; plus rep.

Edit: I have tested this repeatedly and the incident above with two cohorts getting zero hits is an outlier. Last night I paused after the javelins flew, but before any close in engagements and the 1st cohort of III Gallica killed 62 Athenian hoplites just with javelins. This mod works well.
    Last edited by Paladin247; June 02, 2015 at 04:26 PM.
    "With a population of around a million, Rome (in Claudius' time) was a vast city even by modern standards. It is worth pointing out that during the early Renaissance the population of Rome was no more than fifteen thousand-- living amid the ruins of a civilization that dwarfed their own. It was not until the nineteenth century that the population of Rome returned to the levels it had enjoyed under the Caesars. That is eloquent proof of the fact that human history is not a tale of steady progress towards greater knowledge and achievement." Simon Scarrow

I have continued to play test this and noticed that the legionaries appeared to be throwing pilum to unrealistically long ranges. One web source cites pilum range to be 50-70ft and another I found says 50-66ft. I then set up a battle formation to see how far they throw in this mod. Lesterthenerd says in the op that he extended the pilum range by ten from vanilla. But ten of what, feet, yards? In my next field battle, I set up the legion in a somewhat crenelated formation with five cohorts facing the enemy set to fire at will and five intervening cohorts perpendicular set to hold fire.
    This site: http://garyb.0catch.com/site_map.html has some excellent articles. The one I needed for this was on formation spacing. Specifically I needed spacing between files which was three feet. I then set the width of the perpendicular cohorts at 23 legionaries equal to 69ft. So the formation looked thus with first cohort in center and the bottom file of the perpendicular cohorts even with the front rank of the horizontal cohorts:

__l__l____l__l__l__

Thus the legions should have opened pilum fire just as the enemy was approaching the tops of the perpendicular cohorts. However, legions consistenly engaged with pilum at twice the width of the perpendicular cohorts or probably 140-150ft.
    Lester kindly provides the tables to tweak this, but I've downloaded pack manager and it looks to be beyond my meager software skills.
    Once I tried this test it has become fairly easy to estimate when the enemy has closed to within realistic range. So I set the legionaries to hold fire until the enemy is almost there and then set them to fire at will and they launch; seems more realistic, works well and I like it a lot better than using the vanilla method of aiming pilum fire.
    Last edited by Paladin247; June 06, 2015 at 07:15 PM.
    "With a population of around a million, Rome (in Claudius' time) was a vast city even by modern standards. It is worth pointing out that during the early Renaissance the population of Rome was no more than fifteen thousand-- living amid the ruins of a civilization that dwarfed their own. It was not until the nineteenth century that the population of Rome returned to the levels it had enjoyed under the Caesars. That is eloquent proof of the fact that human history is not a tale of steady progress towards greater knowledge and achievement." Simon Scarrow

Alas, I need to report that this mod had trouble with Dei. I installed the mod along with another, centurion legionui pack, in May. Shortly thereafter, I began to experience black screen CTDs in the middle of battles; never on the campaign screen. Originally, I attributed this to my CPU on the east coast which is about five years old altho it has a GTX 970 video card and 24MB of RAM. Then we transited to our west coast condo where I have an Alienware beast, brand new, with a Clydesdale of a CPU and duplicated the black screen CTD which had never happened on that machine previously. I've subsequently played around with deleting mods and it seems like this one is the culprit. So likely doesn't work with Dei's current builds; a pity.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Why would you need it anyway since DeI has that feature since end of 2014?
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

KAM 2150, thanks I didn't know that.
    I just completed my first Dei campaign which consumed five months and 688GT as Rome and I went for this mod because I noticed that in even the most intense battles, hardly any of my cohorts would expend all their javelins. I always fight from a double acies formation and routinely, the front cohorts would expend half of theirs and the rear almost none. With the mod and controlling release as above, front would expend all and rear about half. So what was I doing wrong in Dei? Is there some control button that needs to be set to enable fire at will or is it in auto?

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Probably that mod increased pilum throw rate a lot Maybe range too. You can change those things in few second to be honest, just go into projectike_tables and increase rande and decrease reload time for pilum
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234