Thread: How to add walls to minor settlements on the battle map

Default How to add walls to minor settlements on the battle map

Using the ESF editor, open

COMPRESSED_DATA
    CAMPAIGN_ENV
    CAMPAIGN_MODEL
    WORLD
    REGION MANAGER
    REGIONS_ARRAY (this is a list of all regions, find the one you want to make walled)
    REGION
    REGION_SLOT_MANAGER
    REGION_SLOT_ARRAY - 0
    REGION_SLOT
    At this point you will see a list of a few variables on the right of the screen. 3rd from the top will be rom_minor_primary. Change this to rom_major_primary. Now under this open
    BUILDING_MANAGER
    3rd from the top you should see an entry for the settlement building type. Change the minor settlement type to a major one, such as rom_[culture]_city_major_1.

This method works with the startpos as well as save games, so you don't have to start a new campaign for this to have effect. Note however that the walls will not show up on the campaign map, only on the battle map. The siege mechanics still work like they do with a major city, allowing you to build siege equipment, etc.

Credit for this goes to yukishiro1 who figured out how to do this. I just stumbled across it yesterday and thought that I'd make a little tutorial so people can find it because I love that this is possible.

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: How to add walls to minor settlements on the battle map

If it's tied to the central structure, I wonder if you could add that effect to other structures... (EDIT: seems not)
    Last edited by crzyrndm; December 11, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

I was thinking the same thing. I was considering going through all the files that are required to add a new building and switching all the minor settlement entries to major settlement (except for effects, so there are still resources) but I don't think I want EVERY settlement to have walls. What did you change exactly?

As far as I know, you CAN change the minor_secondary slots to primaries, but you can't add slots without telling the game how to do the expansion graphics (which nobody has figured out yet.)

One of the effects tied to the major structure is enabling the walls, but the minor battlemaps dont support walls so adding those entries doesn't do anything.
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Can we 'reverse' this ? Meaning change the major ones into minor so that while on the campaign map they still show the wall settlements on the battle map they're no walls ?

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

If switching minor with major works, I don't see why the reverse wouldn't.

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Good. I hate walls.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Excellent find! +rep

Do you also need to change the BUILDING_CONSTUCTION_ITEM entry from "minor" to "major"?
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; December 12, 2013 at 02:59 AM.

No, just the faction array 0 and the building under the slot. Although, during a new campaign as Rome I noticed that Libya took Syracuse and destroyed the city center all the way down to an empty slot, which I didn't think was possible. Does razing a city take the city center to an empty slot?...

Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack1348 View Post
    No, just the faction array 0 and the building under the slot. Although, during a new campaign as Rome I noticed that Libya took Syracuse and destroyed the city center all the way down to an empty slot, which I didn't think was possible. Does razing a city take the city center to an empty slot?...
    Phew! I am glad you told me that as it takes an hour to do these settings! great find and well done

Ok I adjusted my save game file as per the instructions but now the save game will not load?

Changing "minor" to "major" in REGION_SLOT and BUILDING_MANAGER

Any help on fix would be great

You can just change the word minor to major under REGION_SLOT, but under building manager it has to be the actual major city name, ie rom_HELLENIC_city_major_1

You can't just change the word minor in the existing building.

If that's not it, take an earlier save (make a backup) and go through the instructions again very carefully, I'm fairly certain that I've indicated all the tabs that should be open at the various stages.

You can just change the word minor to major under REGION_SLOT, but under building manager it has to be the actual major city name, ie rom_HELLENIC_city_major_1

You can't just change the word minor in the existing building.

If that's not it, take an earlier save (make a backup) and go through the instructions again very carefully, I'm fairly certain that I've indicated all the tabs that should be open at the various stages.
    Ok, in your OP this is what I have followed (it is the 4th entry as you have stated 3rd in OP):

"BUILDING_MANAGER
    3rd from the top you should see an entry for the settlement building type. Change the minor settlement type to a major one, such as rom_[culture]_city_major_1"

So are you now saying that I do not need to change the BUILDING_MANAGER entry?? because the way I read your instructions it tells me to just change "minor" to "major", please clarify as I am confused now! thanks

Is this what you mean so for instance in REGION_ARRAY-2 the building is "rom_BARBARIAN_city_major_township_1" do I need to change this to: rom_BARBARIAN_city_major_1?
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; December 12, 2013 at 01:46 PM.

No, change nothing in BUILDING_MANAGER, just change the actual building slot below it. It's just called BUILDING. From there it's the 4th entry down, it'll be a building name.

All you change is REGION_SLOT (not region_slot_arry - 0, just under it) and BUILDING

No, change nothing in BUILDING_MANAGER, just change the actual building slot below it. It's just called BUILDING. From there it's the 4th entry down, it'll be a building name.

All you change is REGION_SLOT (not region_slot_arry - 0, just under it) and BUILDING
    That's what I changed is the BUILDING slot under BUILDING_MANAGER and the 4th entry from "rom_BARBARIAN_city_minor_township_1" to "rom_BARBARIAN_city_major_township_1" and REGION_SLOT under REGION_SLOT_ARRAY-0 from "rom_minor_primary" to "rom_major_primary" and CTD on load screen in campaign game?
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; December 12, 2013 at 02:38 PM.

rom_BARBARIAN_city_major_1

That's the key you should change it to Toon. You can't do this and keep the individuality of the minor settlements (atleast not without creating a bunch of new major settlement structures)

Quote Originally Posted by crzyrndm View Post
    rom_BARBARIAN_city_major_1

That's the key you should change it to Toon. You can't do this and keep the individuality of the minor settlements (atleast not without creating a bunch of new major settlement structures)
    Ok I thought I was going mad so at least I am changing the correct locations and just need to add the "city_major" to all the locations.

Will this affect the meaningful resources mod as that carries entries at the end of the line in the BUILDINGS entry?

EDIT: Damn! the changes make the game crash, for instance in REGION_ARRAY-1/REGION_SLOT/REGION_SLOT_ARRAY-0/REGION_SLOT to "rom_major_primary" and then change BUILDING to "rom_BARBARIAN_city_major_silver_2" my game save will not load!
    Last edited by ToonTotalWar; December 12, 2013 at 03:28 PM.

Because there is no BARBARIAN_city_major_silver_2. You can only use rom_BARBARIAN_city_major_1, 2, 3, or 4. Yes, you lose the resource node if you do this, unless as mentioned above someone were to make a bunch of new buildings and that's just too much of a hassle for me to do right now.

You've got everything right, toon. Just change the second entry to rom_BARBARIN_city_major_2 and you're set.

Because there is no BARBARIAN_city_major_silver_2. You can only use rom_BARBARIAN_city_major_1, 2, 3, or 4. Yes, you lose the resource node if you do this, unless as mentioned above someone were to make a bunch of new buildings and that's just too much of a hassle for me to do right now.

You've got everything right, toon. Just change the second entry to rom_BARBARIN_city_major_2 and you're set.
    Ok mate thanks for info and +reps

Well, I did it. Proper "minor" settlements (as in same effects) with walls working. Just gotta add them to the startpos and then see how buggy they are

One thing I have noticed is that the battlemap is assigned to the province. All settlements with walls in the itala province get the unique Rome siege map , so I imagine its the same everywhere else.

RE: Removing walls
    I have to double check this yet, but removing the effect "hidden_15m_walls" from the major settlement chain might be enough. It was giving me a minor battlemap before I added that effect (but I also made a few other changes so I might be wrong)

EDIT

Minor settlements with walls

One major repercussion of the capital battlemap being used for all regions in that province is that if it has a dock, so will all the other regions. More concerningly, if it doesn't have a dock, neither will the minor battles, and I don't know what happens if ships attack a minor settlement yet.
    Last edited by crzyrndm; December 21, 2013 at 07:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast