Thread: MOS, the ultimate TATW experience. Version 1.7 Patch 05 (Hotfix) released: 25-08-2015

kraxmause's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: MOS, the ultimate TATW experience.. version 1.7 Bugfix 2 released 04-05-2015

Quote Originally Posted by Greymane View Post
    We would love to include those units, well at least I would, but we have reached the unit cap. That means that we cannot add any more units without taking other units out. And THAT means that every unit we might want to add, will have to be carefully considered. Osgilliath already has a unique unit, I believe, once you rebuild the city. Not 100% sure, but it's a pretty good reason to give other territories/factions some love first.
    I thought there were some units (e.g. the Winged Swordsmen) that aren't available in the campaign but only in custom battles? Are you planning on reintegrating these? If not they could be replaced by other units of Taro.
    Regardless of that I have to say that maybe some other faction rosters should get some attention. While Gondor is probably the most popular faction and their fiefdom troops add a lot to the immersion, their roster is already many times bigger than some other factions', e.g. OotMM or Dunland: the custom battle rosters show 44 Gondor units against 15 OotMM and 16 Dunland units. Gondor also has more volunteer units.
    Some units are even kind of redundant, like Dol Amroth's siege engines whose only difference to the standard ones are the looks of the crew.
    So I think there is definitely room for other units, although I think it shouldn't be Gondor ones. On the other hand: Are there even good unit submods for the evil factions that haven't already been implemented?
    Last edited by kraxmause; June 16, 2015 at 12:36 AM.
    Cleave the sod with your trusty spade
    Dig out a house that's quite like a grave
    And should your neighbour not return your wave

A.R.R.R. Roberts - The Soddit

Greymane's Avatar Senator

Default Re: MOS, the ultimate TATW experience.. version 1.7 Bugfix 2 released 04-05-2015

Quote Originally Posted by kraxmause View Post
    I thouth there were some units (e.g. the Winged Swordsmen) that aren't available in the campaign but only in custom battles? Are you planning on reintegrating these? If not they could be replaced by other units of Taro.
    Regardless of that I have to say that maybe some other faction rosters should get some attention. While Gondor is probably the most popular faction and their fiefdom troops add a lot to the immersion, their roster is already many times bigger than some other factions', e.g. OotMM or Dunland: the custom battle rosters show 44 gondor units against 15 OotMM and 16 Dunland units. Gondor also has more volunteer units.
    Some units are even kind of redundant, like Dol Amroth's siege engines whose only difference to the standard ones are the looks of the crew.
    So I think there is definitely room for other units, although I think it shouldn't be Gondor ones. On the other hand: Are there even good unit submods for the evil factions that haven't already been implemented?
    Oops, is that true? If there are units unique to custom battles, I can't see any reason why we would not include them in the campaign again. As for the rest of your post, we've had extensive discussions about including units for OOTMM and Gundabad as well as removing some existing units. We even removed some redundant units already to make room for part of the BUS submod and we will look into making the descr_unit file smaller still. Speaking of BUS, the units we have added now, are probably going to be all we will add to MOS. Maybe we will switch faction ownership around a little, but that's about it.

hi, i just have question about the rivercrossings. it looks like there are fewer crossings in the newest map in version 1.7. if i were by riverside under dol guldur and i wanted to go to lothlorien, i had to go to really long way down to the rauros. similar in the osglliath region. is this intended or i have some bugs?

Quote Originally Posted by Greymane View Post
    Oops, is that true? If there are units unique to custom battles, I can't see any reason why we would not include them in the campaign again. As for the rest of your post, we've had extensive discussions about including units for OOTMM and Gundabad as well as removing some existing units. We even removed some redundant units already to make room for part of the BUS submod and we will look into making the descr_unit file smaller still. Speaking of BUS, the units we have added now, are probably going to be all we will add to MOS. Maybe we will switch faction ownership around a little, but that's about it.

There are some places to make the EDU smaller, there are WAY too many generic merc units that seem to be used only in scripts, also the changing the siege crews is a really good idea, and maybe messing with the extra tol acharn and proximusJ units...I don't believe there is any reason these units NEED to be different from tier one soldiers...I spent 20 minutes and now have I believe 30 extra unit EDU slots in my version....Am wanting to add the Dol Guldur orc units from DAC among others...

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Hi all, hope everything's going well. For the most part my 1.7 game now seems to be mostly stabilised; third time was the charm.

However, I have noticed something a bit odd. I don't know if it's actually a glitch as it might be intentional, but reading Ngugi's reply on the recent sub-mod thread about immortal characters it's got me a bit puzzled. The problem seems to be with the Immortal Nazgul script. See, when I toggle_fow (I'm not playing Mordor), if I look around the map I can see a lot of Nazgul scattered here and there. Problem is they all, to a one, seem to be diplomats. Or perhaps they're spies? It's a little tricky to tell. Agents of some sort.

But whichever way one cuts it, they ain't generals. Is this intentional or have we stepped into the Twilight Zone?

Hi guys! I need some help with launching of MOS mod, I have installed everything acording to instrucions, but I dont understad how to launch it, when I press Bat files it say somehting like " Cant find kingdoms.exe, medieval2.exe" how do I fix that? I have steam version

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Knight View Post
    Hi all, hope everything's going well. For the most part my 1.7 game now seems to be mostly stabilised; third time was the charm.

However, I have noticed something a bit odd. I don't know if it's actually a glitch as it might be intentional, but reading Ngugi's reply on the recent sub-mod thread about immortal characters it's got me a bit puzzled. The problem seems to be with the Immortal Nazgul script. See, when I toggle_fow (I'm not playing Mordor), if I look around the map I can see a lot of Nazgul scattered here and there. Problem is they all, to a one, seem to be diplomats. Or perhaps they're spies? It's a little tricky to tell. Agents of some sort.

But whichever way one cuts it, they ain't generals. Is this intentional or have we stepped into the Twilight Zone?
    Sounds like you mean Sauron's Inquisitors. They can kill evil characters for not being obedient enough. What names do they have?

Quote Originally Posted by iKebab View Post
    Hi guys! I need some help with launching of MOS mod, I have installed everything acording to instrucions, but I dont understad how to launch it, when I press Bat files it say somehting like " Cant find kingdoms.exe, medieval2.exe" how do I fix that? I have steam version
    Welcome to the forum! This is from the OP:

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of the West View Post

* What file to use depends on which method you deployed to start your Steam Third Age Total War install. "Third Age.bat" starts the "kingdoms.exe" file whereas "Third Age - Steam.bat" starts the "medieval2.exe" file.

So you should either have a kingdom.exe or a medieval2.exe, both of whom can launch the game via one of the .bat files. That is in your main Medieval II folder, not the Third Age one. You can also rename these .exe files to the other one without breaking anything.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Might have already been addressed, but is Dol Amroth supposed to have a custom city on the campaign map? It's just a regular castle for me.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Thank you, I´ve tried but it seems I only can launch Third age not MOS :/, Think I might need more detailed instructions for this

Sounds like you mean Sauron's Inquisitors. They can kill evil characters for not being obedient enough. What names do they have?
    Aha! I didn't realise those were a thing. Now it makes a lot more sense. My puzzlement came largely from the fact that the Nazgul seemed to have disappeared from the map; Mordor is the largest faction and now holds 40 regions at turn 90 (activating Shadows of the East may have been a mistake, even playing an evil faction as I am) and has stacks EVERYWHERE, but not a single one of them is led by a Nazgul. Just captain orcs. I sent a few spies into Mordor and, lo and behold, they're all being used as governors of settlements with the Witch King himself sitting safely in the furthest east of their settlements, east of the Sea of Nirn. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: On the same subject (sort of), I have a question about Shadows of the East. I seem to recall reading somewhere that, due to certain other scripts being added to it to cut down on the number of individual options at the start, it not only gave Mordor extra armies, but Rhun and the Orcs of Gundabad as well. Is this true? I only ask because they don't seem to be getting any extra scripted support; in fact both factions seem to be struggling quite a bit, Rhun especially.
    Last edited by Boogie Knight; June 16, 2015 at 11:33 AM.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Knight View Post
    Aha! I didn't realise those were a thing. Now it makes a lot more sense. My puzzlement came largely from the fact that the Nazgul seemed to have disappeared from the map; Mordor is the largest faction and now holds 40 regions at turn 90 (activating Shadows of the East may have been a mistake, even playing an evil faction as I am) and has stacks EVERYWHERE, but not a single one of them is led by a Nazgul. Just captain orcs. I sent a few spies into Mordor and, lo and behold, they're all being used as governors of settlements with the Witch King himself sitting safely in the furthest east of their settlements, east of the Sea of Nirn. Thanks for the help!

EDIT: On the same subject (sort of), I have a question about Shadows of the East. I seem to recall reading somewhere that, due to certain other scripts being added to it to cut down on the number of individual options at the start, it not only gave Mordor extra armies, but Rhun and the Orcs of Gundabad as well. Is this true? I only ask because they don't seem to be getting any extra scripted support; in fact both factions seem to be struggling quite a bit, Rhun especially.
    yes the the armies options for gundabad mordor and rhun are combined into 1
    greetings atthias
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    yes the the armies options for gundabad mordor and rhun are combined into 1
    greetings atthias
    IMO this should be reverted. After playing several campaigns without the script (VH/VH) I've seen the following pattern: Mordor always wins against Gondor, one time Gondor managed to hold Minas Trith until turn 100. Rhûn was at a stalemate with Dale once, the other times they won (the Dwarves didn't bother with fighting in the east). The OoG don't stand a chance, they lost every time.
    AI Mordor doesn't need the script to beat Gondor, Rhûn does well, too. The OoG however get absolutely pummeled by the Dwarves and FPoE in every campaign, they really need those extra Rhudaur troops.
    Since the intention of the script is to improve the difficulty when facing ONE of these factions yourself, the combined scripts tips the "balance" in favor of those factions that don't really need it.
    I don't know about you, but when I've activated the script and finished off the OoG as Eriador, just to see that Mordor and Rhûn own 75% of the map, I'll quit the campaign.

Mordor indeed, without Shadows of the East they dominate anyway. I'm also not a big fan of it as I like to be casual and conquer on a more relaxed, slower level.
    Guess it's more lore like this way.
    Sig made by me, content from Broken Crescent.

Thank you, I´ve tried but it seems I only can launch Third age not MOS :/, Think I might need more detailed instructions for this
    So you have tried both .bat files and renaming the main game .exe? I launch it with the Third Age .exe, whose target I've changed to "E:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age_3\Third Age - Steam.bat". My main game. exe is called medieval2.exe. Does that work?

I think I'd like to see it split up again, too, but I don't think I've really experienced it properly yet. This is my first time playing with it on. Mordor is absolutely dominating, as I mentioned, having destroyed Rohan (who were, for the first fifty turns or so, the most powerful faction on the map - they expanded rapidly and almost destroyed Isengard) and pushed up almost to Northern Mirkwood where the elves are allowing themselves to be steamrolled. They're being held up now by a stubborn Gondor but they've taken Minas Tirith and Pelargir (the latter may have been conquered by Harad actually) and are advancing rapidly towards Dol Amroth with the help of an Invasion.

The story is different for the other two factions. Dale have fought Rhun to a standstill and have actually begun, albeit extremely slowly, to push them back eastwards. I have NEVER seen Dale put up an effective resistance against Rhun before now, and this is with Shadows of the East active! Really can't believe it. This is on top of the fact that Mordor is starting to encroach on Dale's borders and the Dwarves are basically a non-entity in the east.

The Orcs of Gundabad, meanwhile, are really struggling. I had to retake Carn-Dum for them and was actually quite reluctant to give it back because I worried they'd lose it again. They're really struggling against Eriador, so I dread to think what will happen when the inevitable resurrection of Arnor comes around. It's a good thing I've taken Imladris (I'm OotMM) because I can now help them out with some diversionary raids, which I've been doing for the last ten turns or so.

Neither Rhun or the Orcs of Gundabad seem to be churning out soldiers in the way Mordor is. It sort of makes me question if it's working for them, honestly.

Now it says I cant launch it because I dont have "mss32.dll" on my PC :S

Hey guys if the unit limitation issue get resolved you will add more units right??
    Amazing mod again BTW

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ♘Top Hat Zebra View Post
    Might have already been addressed, but is Dol Amroth supposed to have a custom city on the campaign map? It's just a regular castle for me.
    It has been changed in MOS 1.70 as part of dIRECT0R's cut. From a lore point of view I guess both a castle and a city are acceptable but you can't have both. From a military point of view, the castle (stronghold) of Dol Amroth probably makes more sense though.
    http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Dol_Amroth
    Now it says I cant launch it because I dont have "mss32.dll" on my PC :S
    I understand you have the Steam version. Please state exactly which instructions you used and provide the full folder path of your TATW/MOS 1.70 install.
    IMO this should be reverted. After playing several campaigns without the script (VH/VH) I've seen the following pattern: Mordor always wins against Gondor, one time Gondor managed to hold Minas Trith until turn 100. Rhûn was at a stalemate with Dale once, the other times they won (the Dwarves didn't bother with fighting in the east). The OoG don't stand a chance, they lost every time.
    AI Mordor doesn't need the script to beat Gondor, Rhûn does well, too. The OoG however get absolutely pummeled by the Dwarves and FPoE in every campaign, they really need those extra Rhudaur troops.
    Since the intention of the script is to improve the difficulty when facing ONE of these factions yourself, the combined scripts tips the "balance" in favor of those factions that don't really need it.
    I don't know about you, but when I've activated the script and finished off the OoG as Eriador, just to see that Mordor and Rhûn own 75% of the map, I'll quit the campaign.
    I added this to our list of things we might look at. Can't promise it will change though and if it does it might take some time yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob251 View Post
    Hey guys if the unit limitation issue get resolved you will add more units right??
    Amazing mod again BTW
    We are working on "other stuff" at the moment and the team is a bit pressed for time right now. I don't expect any units to be added/replaced soon, but we will certainly revisit this in the future.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    I understand you have the Steam version. Please state exactly which instructions you used and provide the full folder path of your TATW/MOS 1.70 install
    I installed Third age a while ago, it worked great. Then I downloaded MOS 1.7 few days ago. My installation method was "3b) For Steam versions of Medieval II Total War Kingdoms: Extract the "MOS Full version 1.70.rar" file to the "mods" folder. In a standard install, you can find it here:

***\Steam\steamapps\common\Medieval II Total War\mods\Third_Age_3*"

And thats it :/ But coming to think of it now , does he mean only to "mods" folder or All the way to "Third_age_3" ? Because I did all the way. Anyway after this I renamed Medieval 2.exe in main folder to kingdoms.exe and tried putting in in those different folders but none of it worked, same issue if I renamed it medieval2.exe

Hi all!

Great work on 1.7 guys, I really like the changes and additions that were made. Keep it up!

One thing I've noticed playing as FPoE, i got the Elven Rangers from the "spawning additional units" mod, everything worked fine, BUT: they started with a missile attack of 13 and melee attack of 12. Then came the event to upgrade to armor piercing arrows (upgrade). I finished the building, the new elves appear and they have a missile attack of 9 and melee 12...

Is it possible that the units got swapped in the script unintentionally? And if so, is there a way for me to fix this? I really like this little mod, it adds some nice flavour to the game. But it's kind of a bummer to upgrade them and get worse units out of it... Or am I not seeing some hidden stat?

Thanks a lot,

FlyingTarpit