Thread: Whiskey, History and a Mad Man's Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [16th of November, 2016]

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Whiskey, History and a Mad Man's Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [16th of November, 2016]

As the title says...I'll post something when I have something to post. Stay tuned, folks!

Also, the commentary thread to this one can be found right here.
    Last edited by McScottish; April 19, 2016 at 02:11 PM.

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Mans Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish

Quintilius Varus, give me back my AARs!

It has come to my recent attention, as a world-class stalker and lurker of the various AAR sub-forums, that there is a change on the wind. Whether it is indeed the case that less people are writing AARs, whether less people are actually interested, or whether there is simply a downtime, the AAR forums appear to be less than active recently and thus I am displeased!

That's pretty much all I wanted to say, and therefore this will be an extremely short 'entry' so-to-speak, or will it?

On another note, and yet a similar one, I have been pondering on all things historical and so on and so forth and have decided to open this blog up into a sort of Q & A for anyone (if anyone at all does) who would like to know my opinion on something. From personal things to writing, I shall accept questions as soon as anyone wishes to ask one. So, feel free to post in my commentary thread and I'll dedicate an entire entry to an answer.

Now, I demand that more people get viewing and writing AARs, especially on the 'eras' sub-forum, before I am forced to start a dozen new ones just to keep it afloat.

You have been reading,

McScottish

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Mans Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish

+++File Corrupted+++

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Mans Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [Updated: 23/12/13]

An Xmas ditty, for one and all.

It was the night before Christmas, and all through the house,
    nothing was stirring, except for a mouse.

Clicking and clacking, causing a din,
    there was only one room that it could be in.

McScottish was up, or so it did seem, reading through threads and letting off steam,
    for he never did sleep or get very far 'lest he had but one prologue for an AAR.

So please remember this tale, and as you tuck in, to nice Turkey breast or goose or fat hen,
    remember the Scotsman alone in his room, typing away to make Eras bloom.

As dawn does set in he puts down his pen, making and taking and writing notes once again, gazing forth out the window and into the light, "to all a merry Christmas and to all a good night!"

You have been reading,

McScottish

P.S.

Merry Xmas to one and all, may you get what you desire and spend time with your loved ones. Och, och, och! Meeeeeerry Christmas.

Icon13 Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Mans Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [Updated: 24/12/13]

Good News and Bad News - An Advance Weather Warning

Just a swift update I thought I would post, just so that, when the time comes, no one is surprised.

Firstly, the bad news; on the 26th of February my girlfriend and I shall be flying our to Auckland, New Zealand, to spend a year working, travelling and generally messing about in a foreign nation. This means that, as much as I would like to haul it about with me, I shall need to relinquish my desktop until my return and - as I have no laptop PC - that I will also need to put all my AARs on standby. It is a damned shame, and if I see the AAR section going down hill I shall become highly displeased.

On to the good news!

The good, or better, news is that I shall still have methods to type and therefore shall be more active in the Creative Writing section. This time having to rely more on my imagination than on reacting to things happening in my game. I shall be watching, so don't let things get quiet around here.

You have been reading,

McScottish

P.S.

If anyone lives in NZ and wishes to have someone (or should I say two someones) sleep on their couch, well, send me a PM for consideration.

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Mans Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [Updated: 24/12/13]

Well, I made it to NZ alive. So far managed to go from a hostel to a house and back to a hostel, though I won't explain why, but here I am back in a hostel in Auckland but not really all that troubled. Currently waiting on a tax number and the like, while keeping an eye on the job situation. Got a flexipass in the case of needing to make a swift getaway, or a swift arrival, depending on how it all goes around here. So, there's the situation atm. I'll look into an update for some of my writing at some point.

You have been reading,

McScottish

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Mans Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [Updated: 24/12/13]

A Proper-er Update of EN-ZED

Just thought I'd write a fuller update of my experiences here, just because I can.

So, arrived nearly three weeks ago and was greeted and waved through customs by a friendly Maori chap, my bag was then seized due to being a potential bio-hazard due to a pair of hiking boots that had some very little dirt on there soles. It would take me nearly the entire three weeks to get my rucksack - the largest of my two bags, with the most contents - back by taking a taxi (Cheap Taxi's, a good service!) to Auckland International and marching to the luggage office and snatching it back from their clutches. Just to name-and-shame, it was mislaid on an Emirates flight from Dubai, with about a dozen or more other items of luggage from other travellers. We then went and stayed for some time at a house of my girlfriends relatives, and a fine time it was too, before leaving once again for a hostel in Auckland Central, where we now reside on a lower floor with noisy-arse neighbours and slow-as-constipation wi-fi.

This primarily is the reason for a lack of any updates on my part.

On the upside, Auckland is a pretty nice city and most of the people (a good number of them oddly muscled and intent on running everywhere...weird) are just as pleasant as their chosen place of residence/study. One thing I do note is that I have never been somewhere with so many Asians, nor Asian cuisine, nor NZ souvenir shops run by Asians or generally such a vast population of Asians outside of Asia itself. Not that its bad, I actually quite enjoy the international 'food courts' and multitude of takeaways, just different.

Went to the Skytower and overlooked the city, haven't jumped off of it yet but I imagine I shall in time. Planning soon to coach off into the sunset and help out in the countryside in exchange for food and shelter - and probably better internet too - once we're all done here in Auckland and the surrounding suburbs.

What perhaps touched me most of all, and has actually inspired me quite a bit, was going to the Auckland Memorial Museum (one I do recommend!) and taking in the Polynesian culture and well-kept history of the Maori peoples. This, to me, has been the highlight of the trip thus far. Standing and looking at the carvings, designs, weapons, etc of the pre-European peoples got me thinking very much about our own history and those that we would probably call the 'aboriginals' of our own cultures across Europe and America.

Anyway, that's all for now, and I'll get another update up when I can,

You have been reading,

McScottish

Decisions, decisions...

So, just testing out my tablets new keyboard, as I sit in a room in the YWCA Hostel in Hamilton, New Zealand. What can I say except that Hamilton is a damned fine place and - sorry Tig - I like it far more than Auckland. Perhaps its all the pubs, I dunno. Went up north and saw Cape Reinga, the location where Maori spirits depart for their ancestral homeland, where the Tasman and the Pacific meet.

As for other projects; New Zealand has given me much inspiration for a novel I am in the process of writing, information is scarce at this point (don't want to give anything away ) but it will be set in AD 43 Britain - yes, the invasion of Britain by Claudius - a period much written about but not in the way I write, luckily. Needless to say I'll be writing in my own I-think-unique style and, hopefully, when all is written and done, I'll become the next Tolkien!

So, wishing everyone a good evening at 9 AM, and more updates to follow.

You have been reading,

McScottish

Icon1 Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Mans Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [Updated: 24/12/13]

It's Been a While

So, it has been a while since I wrote one of these, but let's just dive right on in there!

Arrived in Christchurch a couple of months ago, since then I have gone from lowly WOOFER (a form of voluntary worker for various jobs, in exchange for accomodation, wi-fi and possibly food, depending where you are) to Night Manager of a hostel here; that being more-or-less because my girlfriend and I seemed more 'mature', likely due to our not having a need to constantly drink every evening and end up smashing windows, leaving bottles everywhere and what not. We work from 5-11 PM usually, then from 8-11 PM on weekends, which leaves little time to sleep when man is actually supposed to, but does leave a good deal of time to read, write, and generally mess about before having to do any serious form of work.

What do I do all day then? Well, exactly that.

As I am only on a Samsung Galaxy tablet, far away from my beloved games and PC, I am unable therefore to proceed in the playing and subsequent writing of any AARs- which actually quite upsets me, I must say. Nevertheless I am able to write as many pieces of Creative Writing as I can, which is nice...I suppose. Just means that when I return to the motherland, there shall once more be an explosion of half-well written AARs that will never be finished! That's surely something to look forward too.

For those who may or may not have known, I was attempting to write some form of original historical-fiction novella. I will say now that my efforts on that part, as with most things, have stalled somewhat. This is certainly something I hope to remedy soon enough, sticking to my guns and just getting the hell on with it. Then again, we can't all be Rowling or Martin or Francis Hagan, can we?

Anyway...what have I been reading recently, as I'm sure you all wish to know, yes?

One book, taken from the local library in fact, is The Philosopher and the Druids: A Journey Among The Anncient Celts written by Philip Freeman. This book is a pretty good primer for anyone wishing to look more into the world of the ancient Keltoi, using the written fragments of Posidonius and his Histories as the setting for an educational and oddly descriptive book. During the books 209 or so pages, we follow the journey of the Stoic philosopher from Syria- his birthplace -into Galatia, over the seas to Iberia, through the lands of semi-civilised Long-Haired Gaul and even further, as well as seeing what sources that Posidonous himself may well have used in his own writings.

All-in-all a satisfying read, especially for beginners to the subject matter, written in a quite accessible fashion. Well done, Philip Freeman.

A second book, that I really need to finish, is Cannibal Jack : The Life & Times of Jacky Marmon, a Pakeha-Maori written by Trevor Bentley.

Certainly suitable for my surroundings, I think, this book details the life and times of 'Jacky' Jack Marmon, an infamous white seaman born to parents in the British settlement of New South Wales. It uses two not entirely similiar versions of his life story, both published as installements of New Zealand newspapers during the 19th Century, (one even being edited by another claiment of the title 'Pakeha Maori') as the basis for a journey into the culture and history of the Maori people surrounding Marmons own narrative describing his own journey and life among them.

What can I say really?

From my point of view, as an outsider looking in, the entire thing seems fantastical and yet eerily fascinating at the same time- as I expect it likely did to readers during the 1800's as well, and probably to Marmon himself. He gets left alive by the Maori due to his youth, gets taken in, and eventually gets adopted into the tribal lifestyle, into which he plunges himself headfirst and without reservations, though he did apparently leave New Zealand at least two times before finally making a final decision to remain with his chosen people.

Bentley does a good job of seperating the various stages of Marmons existence into understandable sections, such as the Sailor, the Warrior and so forth, showing how Marmon and his skills were valued by the Maori as particular times of New Zealands evolution into an Imperial possession, each of these just as excitement-filled and unusual as the next and last.

Not sure what else to say really, other than I would recommend that anyone interested in Europeans among the Maori- whether they 'became' Maori like Marmon, or simply lived with them for some years -should pick up, dowload or borrow a copy of this unique book and give it a read.

Well, I've got more to read; The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane, John Carter's Chronicles of Mars, God Wills It! A Tale of the First Crusade, and many...many...more.

I'll be updating my own Hospitaller tale soon, as well as coming up with another piece of CW in the future, both of which I shall force myself to complete. Come Hell or high water.

Until then,

You have been reading,

McScottish

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Mans Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [Updated: 21/07/14]

Now, lets hear from the stands...

As I've been sitting here on my backside (I do little else at the moment, to be honest) I have been thinking about possible AARs, and the settings therein, for when I return to Blighty. I can guarantee that both my Great War and Saxon Dawn AARs shall be completed, as I'll be spending as much time on them as possible when I get home, yet I'm also looking for settings/factions that my readers- if any of you are actually out there -would like to see me try out and stick my brand of writing towards.

Thus far I have come up with any number of them, from Aztecs to the British Empire, to Fall of the Samurai and many more; yet it is my readers that I write for, and it is from ya'll that I would like to hear.

So, if anyone has any idea(s) of what they'd like to see from me, please give me a little post in the commentary thread for this blog and I shall gladly read it.

Apart from that, I'll get another, longer, blog update up soon.

You have been reading,

McScottish

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Mans Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [Updated: 21/07/14]

Out of Christchurch and into the wilds

What is there to say, really?

I had quite a nice stint in Christchurch, or Chch as it is also known, and have now headed down to Dunedin (or 'New Edinburgh', if you will). Oddly enough, Dunedin is not anything like Edinburgh, except for the lashings of rain which often pepper the place before being replaced with that blasted Kiwi sunshine- a sunshine that makes me sweat and possibly also marks me out as a foreigner to these parts of the world, as if my backpack and general bearing did not do that already.

Anywho...

Visited the Cadbury's Chocolate Factory- very nice -as well as the Early Settlers Museum, and the Otago Museum, which had a fine Butterfly House within its bowels. Haven't done much else, really, although shall be visiting Tunnel Beach when I return in a couple of days.

About Dunedin I can only really say this; "if you don't like walking, or large hills, then stay away."

On Monday I'll be off to Invercargill for a night, and then on to Queenstown, where I have booked to jump off of high things and to zipline down a ravine...or something like that.

Nevertheless, my thoughts turn always to my home, and more specifically to my PC, and what tales of daring-and-do I can write for those readers that have stuck with me for so long. Or at least while I've been about on TWC.

The problem with this is that there are just so many! One might even say too many ideas and possibilities for an AARtist available these days. That I shall continue and finish a couple of AARs is not in doubt, but there are just so many mods and scenarios of interest that cutting all the ideas down to a reasonable size is...well...quite hard work.

Saxon and WWI Tommy action is assured, yet possibly so too may be my first expedition into the apparently 'fixed' world of ROME II. Heavily modded, most certainly, but ROME II nonetheless.

All I can really say is that I have three-and-a-bit months remaining in this green and pleasant land, two of those probably up on the North Island enjoying the tourist traps of Rotarua and Auckland once more, and I truly wish I had purchased and bought a laptop with me. This shall be a lesson for future endevours...speaking of which, I intend to head to S.Korea next year and teach my own terrible brand of English to impressionable Asians. A lap-top will certainly be accompanying me on that journey!

So, that's all for now really. If anyone does have any particular mod or time period they might like me to try a hand at once I get back to Blighty, or any general comments, then please feel free to hit me up on the Commentary thread of this thread.

You have been reading,

McScottish

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Man's Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [Updated: 09/11/14]

Merry Christmas 2014

Well, another Xmas draws around and here I am! In the land of flightless birds and constant sunshine (even when it rains), having a jolly warm Christmas which all seems pretty darned surreal to a poor British fellow like myself. Nonetheless, drinking and comaraderie is the same the entire world over, proven most certainly by the Xmas truce of 1914 that made the opposing sides realise that they were slaughtering boys and men just like themselves. Sad, yes, morbid, yes, but also pertinent I think.

Anyway, I would just like to thank all those that continue to read my ramblings, my organised ramblings (my AARs), and to converse with me on this fine website; those such as Merchant of Venice, Lugotorix, Tigellinus, Hitai, Bastard Feudalism, William Marshal and more, as well as those of the 'old guard' such as Knonfoda, Senior Batavian Horse, Ybbon and so forth.

Without all my readers and their shockingly postive comments I may well have ceased writing a very long time ago, moved on, and forgotten that I enjoyed writing for others (and indeed myself) so very much. I believe on this Christmas Day it is only right to remember and thank all those that make me laugh and that have taken the time to read what I write...even if most of it is ridiculous nothingness.

May the 'newcomers'- Alwyn, Escair (sp?), and so forth -carry on well into 2015 and never doubt themselves, and may those wriiting at the moment continue to do so knowing that the entire WS is here to support them.

Well, s'all I gotta say about that.

Merry Christmas, to one and all, and praise Mithras.

You have been reading,

McScottish

P.S.

Once I get back to Blighty, I may well consider starting a YouTube channel (because I'll be unemployed and have nothing but writing and talking to myself to do!), so look out for that too.

God bless us, every one.

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Man's Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [Updated: 09/11/14]

Aotearoa - A Land of Two Worlds

Being in New Zealand, admittedly for ten-and-a-bit months thus far, has bought a lot of thoughts to mind, with the most prominent being that of the Maori and the Pakeha. Here in NZ it is still a rather large issue, from the sphere of politics (I.E. The Mana Party) to land disputes still raging between 'the crown' and the descendants- mostly now mixed descendants mind you -of those native chieftains that signed the Waitangi Treaty with the English and their chosen governor.

Of course, the lot of the Maori is certainly not an equal one; education, employment and general well-being reflect just one of multiple 'displaced' peoples all around. Mind you! To take a look at the situation of the Australian aborigines, the Native Americans of the United States, and even the general state of the African continent, things do not seem so bad.

This, however, is none of my business (as a British Citizen) and this blog entry is on an entirely different and yet linked subject...that being the survival and- if not entirely fair -preservation of a people, their ways of life, language and even the word-wide recognition of a native people the likes of which is pretty uncommon.

What it leads me to think of, not very surprisingly to anyone who reads my stories and AARs, is a rather hypothetic version of what might have happened if the tribal peoples of Europe had not been mostly wiped out/assimilated into the trappings of the Roman Republic and Empire.

Did our ancestors conduct themselves at all like the Maori? Dance and song, warfare and a religion linked to the earth were certainly part of the Keltoi, Germanic and Brythonic peoples, but just how common and extensive might have been the art of tattooing ones body/face or ritualised war dances and the like?

Entries in primary sources, such as the story of the Gallic chieftain sticking his tongue out to mock a Roman challenger, or of the Gallic hordes of Transalpina assembling with horns and war-cries and gesticulations, and, of course, the art of 'woading' among the British and later the Picts (and the Pictones of Gaul...apparently) all draw particular parallels.

If the Romans had never invaded, if the Britons had been left to evolve (without the constant invasions), would we today still have part of our culture showing traditional arts to tourists and visitors? Would we have a part of our society speaking their own tongue (ignoring Gaidhlig, Cymraeg, Manx and Kernowsk in this) and showing the usage of the 'traditional long sword' or the sling? Who really knows? All we can do is hypothesise and speculate.

New Zealand is indeed a land of two worlds, one stretching back to pre-colonial times and the other being the modern world all around us.

I, for one, relish them both.

You have been reading,

McScottish

Prepare thyselves...

T-minus four days and counting, then on wings of flaming haggis I shall return, to dwell once more in the TWC, the squirl of the pipes accompanying my grandeur and majesty!

Well, fellow forumites, I shall soon be coming home to dear old Blighty from my year-long sabbatical. Once return-ed I shall proceed to spread my terrible writing all across the AAR forums - even more so than I have been already - and bring to you all three (possibly four) tales of high adventure!

From the Hojo of Japan, to the Highlands of Scotland and the emergence of the British Empire, and further back in time to when the English nation was taking it's first steps across this blessed land of my forefathers. An Attila or ROME II AAR, I hear you cry (but probably not)? Well, if I do decide to go that extra mile then it is likely to be with the SAI mod and not with the more current CA releases...but we shall see.

So, what can I say for my time here in En-Zed really? I would say that I have seen and done things which shall remain with me for the rest of my life, I have encountered friends and people I detest, and I now understand why the forum members from New Zealand are all insane.

Until then...

Look for me on the 25th, on the 25th...look to the forums!

You have been reading,

McScottish

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Man's Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish

Are 'Polynesian' tattoos the new 'dick-head' marking of today?

As some of you may know, not too long ago - about six months ago, in fact - I returned to the UK and my home town from New Zealand, land of the Maori, the Pakeha, massive mountains and generally an all-round awesome sweet as place to be, bro.

While on my travels there, I acquired a piece of Maori artwork, which can be better explained in this short paragraph:

"Kirituhi - A Possible Alternative

If you are dead set on getting a tattoo that is fashioned in the style of Ta Moko, consider instead kirituhi. Kirituhi is a form of pattern art that looks like Ta Moko, but deliberately does not make any reference to Maori symbolism. Kirituhi literally means "skin art" and the patterns are designed to meet the demands of non-Maori wishing to have similar tattoos."

My personal tattoo was a small Teko Teko, usually a carved wooden figure placed at the gate to a Maori hill-fort or on a Marae meeting house, which some believe to represent your ancestors and with a protective element to it, the tongue protruding and the spear held across the body of the figure, elements that I wanted (my Grandpa had died late the year before, and I'm generally a person who looks to their roots - which I must say includes at least three generations of soldiering). I also wanted a souvenir that would last me a lifetime, and I therefore got one, one that didn't really represent anything a native Maori could find offensive...or at least none beat me up while I was there!

Imagine my surprise when I came back then, and no more than a couple of months later, and almost every pasty white muppet had, at least, a half-sleeve of Polynesian, Maori or both styles tattooed on themselves.

Now you may be wondering why I call them dick-heads, and I shall tell you for why, it is because most of these people were the type that originally went for this style of tattoo:

Yet have now decided that this would look more aesthetically pleasing:

They're not wrong, it is exceptionally excellent art, yet they are also (mostly) the type of person who would get a Chinese takeaway menu tattooed on them because it means 'strength', 'honour', 'warrior', 'chicken chow mein', and then brandish it as if they were the dogs bollocks.

Believe me, it is not the tattooing itself - usually done by someone at least of Polynesian descent - that I find aggravating, but the highly probable lack of any and all knowledge that the many of these people have regarding the culture, beliefs or anything else of the 'home culture' of these designs; do they even know about Samoa, Tonga, NZ or Hawaii? Do they know why they mark themselves, what they mean, or what they mean to the islanders marked with them?

In my eyes it is the same as me dressing in Native American apparel and parading around at a modern-day pow-wow, then declaring to anyone who questions me that I'm wearing it and have painted my face because I think it looks cool and for no reason else. Wouldn't matter that I knew nothing about a specific tribal people, or precisely what they wore, just that I like it and I'm going to wear it. The kilt, something I hold very dear, has also become much like that but, generally, most people who were one are at least of a little Scottish blood...no idea how many white people here have a Tongan ancestor or not.

I do apologise for this outburst, but it irks me something fierce! I am forced to walk past at least three of these people every day, to see Polynesian/Maori tattoos on them, and to wonder if they know what the Hell they even have inked onto their flesh for the rest of their life. In the end I have no-one to complain to but myself (none of my family or friends could give a damn, not that I blame them), and sadly for anyone who reads this, the net has given me some outlet for my annoyance.

I'll stop here now; opinions, questions and so forth, feel free to write them in the comment thread!

You have been reading,

McScottish

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Man's Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [11th of August, 2015]

What up, McScottish? Where you been?

Some folks, although I doubt as many as I imagine, may have been wondering where I have been? Wha-what, you haven't? Eh, nae mind, I'll tell you anyway.

So, as some might know, I returned to the UK in February of this year at the ripe old age of twenty-five! I am now twenty-six, and have been given the inevitable ultimatum from the parent that I am to be evicted next year - a situation I am sure more than a few can sympathise with. The answer to where I have been is twofold; psychically I have been working and attempting to save up as much dollar as I can! The gods know I'll need it. The second part is more mental, and indeed you could even call it spiritual, in that I (and my other half) have been pondering the question, as stated by The Clash, "should I stay or should I go?"

In this circumstance this question is truly a difficult one, which could send ripples through the remainder of my life, the question really being whether I should settle down into the rent cycle where I currently am - or another area of the wonderful United Kingdom, or whether I should take the plunge/leap in feet-first and extract myself possibly from the country of my birth entirely. This might be for a year, it might be for far longer, it might mean attempting to teach my own brand of terrible English to Johnny Foreigner, or even emigrating in every sense of the word to a nation which might suit me better.

Advice from the parent is as one would expect, being that I am young, without ties or commitment, and should bugger off while I can! As for myself, well, I'm torn to be honest...

To end, I would like to apologise to my colleagues (and editor) at the Critic's Quill - my inactivity is just that...inactive - and, if there are any/many still out there, all those that follow my AAR's, I apologise for my lack of updates. Depending on how everything goes, they could well get more frequent or less so. Who knows?

Just thought I'd put it out there on the WWW, and hope you're all having a wonderful time in your own lives - especially you Americans and your Thanksgiving hangovers.

Oh, and before I forget, Latha Naomh Anndra (Happy Saint Andrew's Day), one and all!

You have been reading,

McScottish

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Man's Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [30th of November, 2015]

I Ain't Dead!

Good evening, one and all.

This is simply the quickest of updates to say that I am not dead, and that both The Sun Never Sets... and "What Is Best In Life?" shall be getting updated quite soon.

Also, I'd just like to thank everyone who has read my 'works', supported me in my endeavours and who has been here for the long haul; Merchant, Knonfoda, Boustrophedon, SeniorBatavianHorse, Alwyn, Caillagh, Diocle, Derbiean, Ferdiad and Ganbarenippon, Hitai de Bodemloze and Justinian Australis and so many, many more.

I believe I should now end with a 'meme', so here's a fitting one methinks.

Thank you again and gods bless you all.

You have been reading,

McScottish

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Man's Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [19th of April, 2016]

At the Edge of Empire...

Good evening, once again.

For about a week now, I have been haunting the peaks, crags and reaches of Old Brigantia - at other points known as Strathclyde, Rheged and Cumbria - as well as taking a wee trip or two into Northumberland. These little jaunts have been to highest peaks and deepest, darkest glens, but most recently it is (arguably) the greatest monument to Roman might and imperial power that has consumed my senses; I speak (write) or course about Hadrian's Wall!

I can honestly say that there are few things that get the creative juices flowing, for playing Total War and for writing about antiquity in general (hey, might even help me begin writing the novel I've always claimed I'll write...), than standiing at the edge of the Roman world and walking through Vindolanda and the nearby vicus.

Yes, there may be greater finds in Germania, or Dacia or Africa, but for someone who so rarely gets to see true Roman remains in the flesh and stone this was - and shall be - a treat.

Should ya'll prepare for more Romocentric AAR(s)/CW in the near future? Due to this, that is very possible.

A question for anyone to answer in the 'comment thread'; where have you been and what have you done concerning the Romans? What hhas been your favourite? Where would you like to go/what would you like to see?

You have been reading,

McScottish

Default Re: Whiskey, History and a Mad Man's Ravings! - The Nonsensical Blog of McScottish [19th of April, 2016]

Still here!

Good morning!

Well, I'm still around; I've recently moved into a flat of my own, just about pushing through, and decided it was quite overdue for me to return to TWC and get writing/commenting again.

If there's any era/mod/etc of AAR you'd suggest/like me to write, then please feel free to tell me in the comment section of this thread.

Other than that, I'm back.

You have been reading,

McScottish