Thread: Free Ladders replaced with free battering rams, more siege equipment built per turn, more siege changes

Default Free Ladders replaced with free battering rams, more siege equipment built per turn, more siege changes

Lettuce face the truth: sieges are embarrassing for everyone involved. They are embarrassing for me, they are embarrassing for the AI, and they are especially for CA. I can't fix the AI, but I did make a mod that I hope will at least improve the experience.

I replaced the free ladders with free battering rams. I've noticed that the AI seems to be a bit more competent with rams than other siege equipment (although it does bug on some maps a bit), and this will also help avoid some of the torch burning silliness.

I also think the length of time it takes to get the equipment necessary to have your own epic siege is ridiculous. Also, by the time you have enough stuff, most of your army are dead. So, I've increased the amount of siege equipment built each turn (still limited to one type built). Higher siege equipment levels have more built as well. Additionally, the technology requirements for rams and towers have been removed; these just pointlessly made an obstacle to fun sieges.

Here are the changes I've made:
    -Free ladders replaced with 4 free rams, for player and AI.
    -Number of siege equipment items built per turn is doubled. So instead of 2 towers, you get 4.
    -Higher level equipment also gives you more of it. So if your army is upgraded to medium siege equipment, you get 6 towers instead of 4, and if you upgrade to heavy you get 8.
    -All equipment has more hp and higher ignition threshold, so it doesn't die as easily.
    -Tech requirement for rams and towers eliminated.
    -Attrition for besieging reduced to 5%/turn, and attrition for being besieged reduced to 10%.
    -Galleys removed. They were stupid and useless anyway.

These changes are meant to make city assaults more enjoyable for the player, and avoid some of the embarassment of watching the AI trip over itself using ladders.

IMPORTANT: The way I have done this mod makes makes both types of ladders, the tall ones and short ones, available at all cities. Make sure to choose the 15m ones if you are attacking a "civilized" city with tall walls, and choose the short ones if you are attacking a barbarian city with short walls.

DON'T LET THIS BE YOU:

(actually they land safely, but still best to be avoided I think).

I haven't extensively tested this mod yet, so please let me know if it doesn't work as intended. It should be compatible with most other mods since few modders mess with the stuff I changed, I'm using it with Radious myself.

There is one inherent problem I know of: the AI is free to choose the wrong type of ladders. I don't think this will be impactful for two reasons:
    1. AI never builds siege equipment on its own.
    2. AI can't use ladders correctly even if they are the right size.

Other modders may appreciate the clever way I swapped the rams for ladders, or they may roll their eyes because they know a better way of doing it. If you do know a better way of changing/removing the free equipment and setting which can be selected at different city types please let me know; the battlefield_siege_vehicles table actually doesn't restrict you from building the wrong equipment for the campaign.

Download:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/ct...slaSiege2.pack

To install, paste it into your Rome 2 data folder and activate in mod manager. I'll make a workshop version once I'm sure its working correctly.

Important Update: I found out that the foolish AI will actually become idle if it is given more than one ram after it has broken down the gate. I have fixed this by giving the AI only one free ram instead of 4 (player still gets 4).

edit: By request I went ahead and uploaded it to the workshop, here's the link for that:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=202059582
    Last edited by TeslaTrooper; December 08, 2013 at 07:57 AM.

Default Re: Free Ladders replaced with free battering rams, more siege equipment built per turn, more siege changes

Nice workaround for this, let's see how AI behaves

Default Re: Free Ladders replaced with free battering rams, more siege equipment built per turn, more siege changes

o man..i had a good laugh just looking at those SS

Very nice mod. Will give this a try later on.

What's the feedback guys, does it make sieges better?

Seems good but was wondering if its possible to make it so that when the turns for a siege reaches 0 it FORCES a siege battle regardless, Im missing far to many epic siege battles as the AI forever just wants to "Wait" it out

Tesla, this link "http://www.mediafire.com/download/ctokwa13dv7vpb6/TeslaSiege2.pack" - for 8.1 version?

suggest replacing the stairs 4 4 ballista

does anyone know if it is possible to have 4 free ladders with 1 free ram?

or can you either have all ladders or all rams?

Hi Tesla!

I canīt find this mod on steam.
    Anyway, is it compatible with last TWR2 updates - Emperor?

I will drop TWR2 until something was done from CA on AI siege matters. Itīs absolutelly broken and unplayable until now, itīs a real joke.
    In M2TW itīs also not perfect but itīs playable at least. How a game that is done for real time battles, sieges and conquest can have a so important part of it just broken??!! Itīs real pit.

So i should like to try your mod (iīm playing vanilla Emperor for now). I agree totally with yourīs ideas, perhaps these workarounds can make the Ai siege at least a bit less bad to we continue to play the game. Thanks by yours efforts!

Rubini.

Hey, this was a great idea, it's still compatible with EE ????

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Hey, this was a great idea, it's still compatible with EE ????
    Hi mate ,

Iīm checking all files and seems that itīs all compatible. I will post here later when finish all checks.

I also tested it in a big AI siege and it worked as intend. Prior this mod the Ai had more or less 8 ladders and 2 siege towers. After it, 2 battering rams and 2 siege towers. The result? First vanilla situation was a disaster. The Ai stopped after put the ladders and towers...one was destroyed and it (AI) then stuck outside the walls even with a lot of ladders in position!! wF&%Ļ!! Cīmon CA ... how much patchs to just make this basic feature to work you yet need??!!!

Well, after enable the mod - as I said now the Ai had 2 battering rams and 2 siege towers, - the ai put the towers correctly and also moves the two battering rams to each gate and even after one of the towers goes ashes one battering ram opened one of the gates and the batlle goes on as it could be. Not perfect but it at least worked! Very good !!

I guess that this is the best workaround until now. Letīs see later with more battles.

I will post here any other find&thougts. Letīs also wait for Tesla reply.

Cheers!

Wonderful mate,

Could you tell me if this is savegame compatible? and if is there a Steam workshop download? or just by here for now?

Yes it is and it's a REALLY GREAT ADDITION!!!
    Last edited by Tenerife_Boy; October 18, 2014 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenerife_Boy View Post
    Wonderful mate,

Could you tell me if this is savegame compatible? and if is there a Steam workshop download? or just by here for now?

Yes it is and it's a REALLY GREAT ADDITION!!!
    Hi mate!
    Yes, itīs compatible with Emperor&lastpatchs, I finished to check all files.

But as my knowledge rises after looking at the files, I achieve a new way to do the same without losing the ladders and galleys at once. I made the battering rams "free" since the beginning for AI and the ladders stay as "optional" equip for the AI (but I lowered the amount of them for AI), The result is that now in all sieges the AI have at least one battering ram and some ladders/siege towers. Also i hold the galleys. So, i guess that the best of both sides, i guess that i found the "way" that Tesla asked on the first post. In my tests (i spent the entire saturday - my wife isnīt in good humor with me now) all goes absolutely well. I guess that since Tesla work on this matter, the new patchs have made some small progress on Ai sieges. As an interesting example I was attacked by Avernis in Massala by 2 forces of +/-2500 man and also a naval force. The Ai used 2 battering ram, four ladders (note the reduced number here) and two siege towers. The battle last almost 1 entire hour... the Ai sometimes was just fool and sometimes was very agressive, but in our matter here, the deployment and use of the siegeīs machines, all went ok. Seems that less sieges engines in general will help the AI to works better. Itīs not the best visual&immersion, but at least works. CA yet needs to do a lot of things in sieges matter, I guess that this is the next more important aspect of the game to be fix. The second one is now the anti aliasing!!hehe!

Wow bro, I confirm this is fully EE and savegame compatible,
    Could you upload your version??? This is really great, I guess that a good proportion for the AI could be 2 batterin rams, (just in case you burn one of them, the AI still can use the second one), 2 siege towers and 2 scales.
    Just Epic.
    Add me to Steam if you want (same name as here)

Updated for patch 16 ?

Yeah, it is updated. I strongly recomend this mod.

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Anyone know if there's a mod like this for EE?

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

What is this mod's name on steam?...

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    What is this mod's name on steam?...
    I guess he removed the mod from workshop