Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

Default Re: Some proposed enhancements

Man, this mod is awsome! It was so cool to play just get into the feel of a real modern war. Some bugs, of course, but still a great project.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

just a quick question

I've been using Darthmod a while, do I have to remove anything before behing able to play TGW?

I managed to launch the mod properly, but I get a crash whenever I start a new campaign (not sure whether the two things are related or not)

thanks
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by khayri11 View Post
    Man, this mod is awsome! It was so cool to play just get into the feel of a real modern war. Some bugs, of course, but still a great project.
    Glad you enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    just a quick question

I've been using Darthmod a while, do I have to remove anything before behing able to play TGW?

I managed to launch the mod properly, but I get a crash whenever I start a new campaign (not sure whether the two things are related or not)

thanks
    It depends, does Darthmod use a launcher and store its files in its own folder?

If yes, it should work. You might want to see if the vanilla NTW campaign is working when Darthmod is deactivated. You might also want to try manual installation (see stickied thread or readme for instructions) if you haven't already. Also, if you're seeing any odd image or text-related bugs, that may be a sign that TGW was not launched correctly.

If not, you'll have to remove any non-vanilla packs before using TGW.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Odin View Post
    Are the napoleon dlcs required for the mod inorder to work?
    No, they are not required.

Quote Originally Posted by rxxx0 View Post
    First, I would say that is a great mod, but with some problems, arriving to discourage.

1-The SUPER armies forming in rebellions, do not match the reality. It is more difficult to fight the rebel army that the official army of a faction. It is very disheartening! Should be reformulated, at least ...
    Tip: only ONE rebel army, with 14 "armed civilians", 3 light infantry and a general (or without a general).

2-All factions attacking me (because I'm human), but there is almost no conflict between them!
    Tip: increase the incidence of conflict between the factions controlled by AI.

3-economy stagnates too early, you have to sell technology to have some money, but can not buy troops or start construction. Furthermore, you must create troops, to not be invaded. But creating troops will have more money to start building! How to solve it?
    Tip: increasing the budget by turn. For example, lowering the cost of upkeep army.

4-research some technologies takes a little too much.
    Tip: review the time and reduce some research.

5-Playing as German Empire, the German Revolution took place, in the game, in 1916, but in fact only took place in October / November 1918!
    Tip: change the date of the event.

Questions : These changes can be made? How I can even do them?

Sorry for my English (translator)
    I believe 3, at least, will be adjusted in the upcoming update 5.2. Also, 1 might be worth looking into as well.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by King Sama View Post
    It depends, does Darthmod use a launcher and store its files in its own folder?

If yes, it should work. You might want to see if the vanilla NTW campaign is working when Darthmod is deactivated. You might also want to try manual installation (see stickied thread or readme for instructions) if you haven't already. Also, if you're seeing any odd image or text-related bugs, that may be a sign that TGW was not launched correctly.

If not, you'll have to remove any non-vanilla packs before using TGW.

I see thanks for the feedback. Let's hope I will be able to solve it
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Hi B-DizL so you are saying that for just adding 1 ammunition pouch it would slow down the frame rate correct....? THan would it be helpful to than eliminate the 18th century X crossed chest straps completely and add at least a 2 horizontal chest straps that would have been used in WW1....? Or mabe eliminate the 19th century styled X chest straps and include just 2 ammunition pouches. Also can you al lease make the chest straps different colors instead of just black? THe German 1914 infantry had like a yellowish amber color the British also had like a yellish light brown and really only the french had black but in the later infantry switched to brown chest straps. Even if it slowed the frame rate a little bit would it not be worth it in order to truly historically represent the units? Thank you in advance?

I'd suggest something that exists as a mod for Empire: Total War which has a mod where you can recruit platoons of drummers which play drumming tunes whilst marching. Could this be integrated into the Great War, but with different instruments such as Bagpipes for the British. It can have similar effects like inspiring the friendly forces in the vicinity.

I just think it'd be pretty cool and also realistic but possible to be done for the mod. Having music like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YsMCqgZPKE

Whilst they march into the artillery and gunfire...

Spitfire -WONDERBOLT!'s Avatar Vicarius
    Canterlot Castle, City of Canterlot, Equestria.

I have some suggestions:

One British units look awful on the campaign map (an use Spanish voices) I would suggest changing the colour from red to a red-ish brown colour.
    The game needs to start eariler, or there needs to be a standing navy and army to start with. Britannia had several dreadnoughts as did Germany, but I find myself unable to fight at the outset.
    If we better want to show the deadlock of the great war I suggest lowering unit costs, to allow more stacks.

Furthermore, I suggest implementing eras like in Masters of Europe.

Also better campaign music would be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsI0yTC7bic
    GIVE CREDIT TO YOUR ENEMY AND LITTLE TO YOURSELF, AS IT MAKES YOUR VICTORY ALL THE GREATER!
    -Under the influence of medically prescribed drugs, please take much salt with this post, you have been warned!

A few suggestions

1. Flag bearers.
    2. Instrument officers.
    3. More Artillery. In my opinion the current selection of artillery is kind of bland honestly.
    4. Some units and buildings are missing descriptions and Pictures. Which for some reason makes me feel sad.

Questions:

Which Unit size and Unit scales are recommended to get the feel of the mod/war? I personally like ultra unit size and classical unit scales for gigantic epic battles.
    What's the main menu soundtrack called? Any links?
    Why does it take 11 turns to construct a light cruiser?
    Why are all infantry units stealthy and why do they sneak and not walk?
    Why is limbered artillery so slow? It's like the game speed is set to slow motion! It takes more than 5 minutes to reach the nearby hilltop.

To everyone who wants instruments.

The only musical device I want to see are whistles used by officers.

SerbianWOLF's Avatar Semisalis

Hello. I wonder if there would be any updates to fix some mistakes in this mod. I played this mod as Kingdom of Serbia and what I noticed is that names for Serbian captains,generals and ministers are totally replaced with some names that are not Serbian and also Serbia is orthodox but in this mod it is catholic. And also some Serbian units are not 100% accurate. So will there be any updates to fix that ?

Hi everybody, recently I installed this wonderful mod ( I would like to congratulate those who have spend so much time working at it) and everything looked alright. However, I had some problems when trying to play online with a friend, who has the mod as well, suddenly it says there's an incompability issue.
    We both have the same version and the same patch. Does anyone know how to solve the issue? Or simply the multiplayer mode is not yet available?
    Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by SerbianWOLF View Post
    Hello. I wonder if there would be any updates to fix some mistakes in this mod. I played this mod as Kingdom of Serbia and what I noticed is that names for Serbian captains,generals and ministers are totally replaced with some names that are not Serbian and also Serbia is orthodox but in this mod it is catholic. And also some Serbian units are not 100% accurate. So will there be any updates to fix that ?
    Going out on a limb here, but I think you might be a Serb.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetic Pariah View Post
    Going out on a limb here, but I think you might be a Serb.
    I am. So ?

I am. So ?
    Calm down, not looking to start a fight. I just found it amusing just how Serbian you are, Mr SerbianWOLF from Serbia. :3

Regardless, I think I can answer a few of your issues. For example, the Serbs being Catholic in the mod may have to do with the fact that there are only two Orthodox (maybe three, four max) nations in the entire game. There is a lot of hardcoding so it's not a simple fix. As for Serbian names, they may be using Russian names instead which is what they would be speaking in game. I don't know much about the names being hardcoded, but there is a chance that getting authentic Serb names might be an issue. And finally, what units do you find inaccurate?

Calm down, not looking to start a fight. I just found it amusing just how Serbian you are, Mr SerbianWOLF from Serbia. :3

Regardless, I think I can answer a few of your issues. For example, the Serbs being Catholic in the mod may have to do with the fact that there are only two Orthodox (maybe three, four max) nations in the entire game. There is a lot of hardcoding so it's not a simple fix. As for Serbian names, they may be using Russian names instead which is what they would be speaking in game. I don't know much about the names being hardcoded, but there is a chance that getting authentic Serb names might be an issue. And finally, what units do you find inaccurate?

Sorry if my answer looked angry to you. I did not mean to start fights at all. There are some Russian names(wich is ok and some names used in Russia are also used in Serbia) but even Italian ones(wich you would not hear in Serbia ),some names I never heard of. Also there is a mix of Russian and Italian voices there . About units,well most of the units are correct. But some like serbian howitzer units have hat like Russian ones. Historicly all of Serbian artillery crew members had Sajkaca(the hat that Serbian infantry had). http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-great-...a-and-germany1 In game Serbian units have Sajkaca( hat with flat top,but in reality hat is V shaped on the top. You can see how it really looked on goolge. is it possible to make it with V shape on the top ? To see how Serbian soldier looked exactly in WW2 I recommend you to see the movie called Mars na Drinu(March to Drina). It is better to see for your self. 2 more questions: Is possible to replace cannonball with real WW1 artillery granade ? And is it possible to make ships that were used in WW1,not in Napoleonic era ? I am really sorry if I bored you now. Greetings !

Suggestions and Questions Thread
    Hi everybody, recently I installed this wonderful mod ( I would like to congratulate those who have spend so much time working at it) and everything looked alright. However, I had some problems when trying to play online with a friend, who has the mod as well, suddenly it says there's an incompability issue.
    We both have the same version and the same patch. Does anyone know how to solve the issue? Or simply the multiplayer mode is not yet available?
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks in advance

Sorry if my answer looked angry to you. I did not mean to start fights at all. There are some Russian names(wich is ok and some names used in Russia are also used in Serbia) but even Italian ones(wich you would not hear in Serbia ),some names I never heard of. Also there is a mix of Russian and Italian voices there . About units,well most of the units are correct. But some like serbian howitzer units have hat like Russian ones. Historicly all of Serbian artillery crew members had Sajkaca(the hat that Serbian infantry had). http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-great-...a-and-germany1 In game Serbian units have Sajkaca( hat with flat top,but in reality hat is V shaped on the top. You can see how it really looked on goolge. is it possible to make it with V shape on the top ? To see how Serbian soldier looked exactly in WW2 I recommend you to see the movie called Mars na Drinu(March to Drina). It is better to see for your self. 2 more questions: Is possible to replace cannonball with real WW1 artillery granade ? And is it possible to make ships that were used in WW1,not in Napoleonic era ? I am really sorry if I bored you now. Greetings !
    Before I continue, I'd like to remind you that I don't make the mod, I'm just trying to help out so some things I can't answer too well and I'm just relaying information I've seen before.

From what -I- can tell, certain things are hardcoded and the voices can't really include Serbian voices, Greek voices (I believe they speak Turkish), Romanian voices (Who also speak Russian though should PROBABLY speak Italian), Danish voices (who speak German) and a few more that CA couldn't be bothered with. The Italian voices may stem from the fact that they took one of the Italies available and converted it into Serbia so any Italian bubbling over is from that. I'd have to see the artillery hats to be sure. Late artillery should have Adrian helmets. The adding of the V was mentioned if I recall correctly but there was a reason why it wasn't included. Can't recall atm, probably because of time constraints. As for cannonballs and ships, no. They can't be changed which is unfortunate as they were hardcoded as well iirc.

As a mod, there is only so much they can do.

Before I continue, I'd like to remind you that I don't make the mod, I'm just trying to help out so some things I can't answer too well and I'm just relaying information I've seen before.

From what -I- can tell, certain things are hardcoded and the voices can't really include Serbian voices, Greek voices (I believe they speak Turkish), Romanian voices (Who also speak Russian though should PROBABLY speak Italian), Danish voices (who speak German) and a few more that CA couldn't be bothered with. The Italian voices may stem from the fact that they took one of the Italies available and converted it into Serbia so any Italian bubbling over is from that. I'd have to see the artillery hats to be sure. Late artillery should have Adrian helmets. The adding of the V was mentioned if I recall correctly but there was a reason why it wasn't included. Can't recall atm, probably because of time constraints. As for cannonballs and ships, no. They can't be changed which is unfortunate as they were hardcoded as well iirc.

As a mod, there is only so much they can do.
    Ok,thank you for the answer !

Please, could someone answer me!!