Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

Default Re: Some proposed enhancements

Are you guys gonna reduce the research time of Trench Warfare? I get it by late 1915 if I start from turn 1.

The concept of trench warfare already existed (Boer War). It should be available from the very start.

I shall increase the time from 6 weeks to 13 weeks. 6 weeks really isn't that long to implement something so major.
    A message to CA:

Either care about history or improve modding support.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Having it take a long time to research is an attempt to delay the use of tanks and heavy arty til later in the campaign so there is a progression of technology throughout the campaign.

It's not "trench warfare", it's "doctrine: trench warfare". Doctrines represent our chronological categorization of the major warfare styles during the war. If you prefer to consider it Doctrine II, that's fine by me.

The research times are a bit unbalanced though, since ideally you'd finish researching it around March 1915, and fully implement it by the end of 1915.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Yeah that's what I meant. I guess it makes sense also considering you guys took all that time making the pre Trench Warfare models you may as well have a chance to use them. Also, one of my British starting generals is a Roland Charles Haig. Is this a glitch because I know it's supposed to be Douglas Haig? Also nobody go to the Edmund Allenby page of Wikipedia. There's a giant gif a a guy stroking a dick on it.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    Having it take a long time to research is an attempt to delay the use of tanks and heavy arty til later in the campaign so there is a progression of technology throughout the campaign.
    Heavy artillery was used before tanks. Tanks should become available in about 1916, but be almost useless, and then improve through 1917 and 1918. Artillery should be heavy at the start and even heavier at the end.
    A message to CA:

There is heavy arty at the very beginning, in the form of (Early) Heavy Howitzers.

As for tanks - we have one set of units, and one or two techs. There's little point, either in gameplay terms or work efficiency, in adding a multi-level tiered tank structure.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

I'm quite late, but...
    As long as we cannot modify the models_naval tables, it's not worth to try to create naval models, as simple as that.
    And to modify these tables it would be necessary to convert them as 3d models, because they contain lots of 3d data.
    Moreover, even if possible, something that is not at the time I write this, naval models are the most complex of all TW models.

A lot of work that is not as important as a good gameplay, a good campaing and accurate land unit models.
    As Aanker, B-DizL and other can tell you, modder didn't benefit from infinite free time, they have to define priorities and make choices.
    Last edited by wangrin; December 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    I'm quite late, but...
    As long as we cannot modify the models_naval tables, it's not worth to try to create naval models, as simple as that.
    And to modify these tables it would be necessary to convert them as 3d models, because they contain lots of 3d data.
    Moreover, even if possible, something that is not at the time I write this, naval models are the most complex of all TW models.

A lot of work that is not as important as a good gameplay, a good campaing and accurate land unit models.
    As Aanker, B-DizL and other can tell you, modder didn't benefit from infinite free time, they have to define priorities and make choices.
    You cannot yet modify the models_naval tables. You have not found naval models to be hard coded and unmoddable. Rotating turrets cannot be implemented, but static turrets would suffice. Therefore, they should not yet be eliminated from your work, and I maintain that they should be top priority. I don't expect to see them until at least summer 2014 - maybe released to celebrate the centenary?
    A message to CA:

As much as I too would like to see some naval models at some point, I think your (slightly over) persistence is in vain. If no way to do it has been found yet, after countless hours of work, then it's not going to happen without countless hours more. The land element is the most important, without question, as that is the First World War, since true naval battles were so few and far between. I'd much rather have some beautiful French units and hopefully later more Russian and Austro-Hungarian updates than naval models, but that's just personal preference. If I were you, I'd try and be a bit less demanding and forceful, since well...unless you want to do it yourself, for nothing, in your free time, then you just have to sit tight and be pleased with what your given.

B-DizL's Avatar TGW Lead Modeller
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by wangrin View Post
    I'm quite late, but...

Quote Originally Posted by KR375 View Post
    As much as I too would like to see some naval models at some point, I think your (slightly over) persistence is in vain. If no way to do it has been found yet, after countless hours of work, then it's not going to happen without countless hours more. The land element is the most important, without question, as that is the First World War, since true naval battles were so few and far between. I'd much rather have some beautiful French units and hopefully later more Russian and Austro-Hungarian updates than naval models, but that's just personal preference. If I were you, I'd try and be a bit less demanding and forceful, since well...unless you want to do it yourself, for nothing, in your free time, then you just have to sit tight and be pleased with what your given.
    This... end of discussion

Quote Originally Posted by KR375 View Post
    I'll prepare to auto-resolve indefinitely, then. Naval battles are not the main focus of the game anyway.

A completely different suggestion: could poison gas stay around for a bit longer, or blow around the map? Attacking armies should not be able to gas an area and then run through it a few minutes later unless they are well protected from its effects.
    A message to CA:

it will be INCREDIBLE to implement the units from "the war to end all wars"
    in this mod, not all of them of course, but yes the spanish lanzers, and the greek units, i will be so happy ... : )
    seriously, greece needs an update with classical outfits from that nation, and that mod has it, just ask for ir and place it in this mod if the developers allow you to : )

niko21's Avatar Civis

I have a couple of questions in my pocket as well. I hope someone will be very kind and answer to them

1) Is it impossible to have machineguns and cannons on the same tank?

2) Is it possible to have trenches actually be dug on the ground?

3) Why is the machinegun range showed to the opposite direction?

4) Can the autoresolve be balanced so that 1 arty doesnt equal 10 infranties?

5) Why isnt the machinegun bullets shown in the same way as infranty bullets are?

I propably have more questions but cant think of them now. I downloaded this game yesterday and im loving it so far, but I feel there is still so much that can be improved. Also Im intrested to hear about anyone playing this game online.
    Last edited by niko21; December 26, 2013 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B-DizL View Post
    6. Id like them to be available earlier aswell but currently they are very OP in auto resolves so to prevent steamrolling they take some tech to become available. This is very easy to mod tho so by all means mod this for yourself.
    this could be resolved by making AI train machineguns too, making autoresolves ballanced.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Default Re: The Great War 5.1 | General Suggestions and Questions Thread

Renamed and stickified thread! I will make a list (above the OP) of commonly made suggestions so that both posters and modders can see what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

L00n's Avatar Libertus

Q: any future plans of including Kingdom of Bulgaria in this mod?
    Last edited by L00n; December 26, 2013 at 01:41 PM.

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksandr Vasilyevich Suvorov View Post
    I'll prepare to auto-resolve indefinitely, then. Naval battles are not the main focus of the game anyway.

A completely different suggestion: could poison gas stay around for a bit longer, or blow around the map? Attacking armies should not be able to gas an area and then run through it a few minutes later unless they are well protected from its effects.
    This is relatively easy to adjust, the problem is that it places a rather large strain (cumulatively; often you will not notice this unless in a large battle, at the height of the action, and a crash interrupts your natural gameplay flow!) on the engine. The current version is also a bit of a compromise with gameplay, because the AI cannot be relied upon to avoid the gas, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Quote Originally Posted by L00n View Post
    Q: any future plans of including Kingdom of Bulgaria in this mod?
    From our FAQ: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...c-(PLEASE-READ!!!)
    Q. Can you replace the Ottomans with Bulgaria?
    A. No, we've discussed this and determined Ottomans is the better choice, although they will receive several units to represent the Bulgarian Army. If you still disagree, feel free to make a sub-mod, there has been a good deal of demand in the past.

L00n's Avatar Libertus

Thank you, sorry for my laziness, i was hoping for including - not replacing,anyway thank you and good luck with the mod.