Thread: Were there any bugs in MTW?

Campidoctor

Default Were there any bugs in MTW?

Hello all, I used to play Medieval 1 a long time ago. Now, with all the hullaballoo about the bugs and shortcomings of the new games (lately Rome 2), I began to think back to how things were in the good old Medieval TW, but I could not remember any bugs at all.

Is it just my rose-tinted glasses, or was this game just far more bug-free?

Sadly, I lost the discs, so I have to ask those of you who are still playing it
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

Default Re: Were there any bugs in MTW?

Apart from being completely incompatible with modern graphics cards, none that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Veliky Kaiser Theos View Post
    Apart from being completely incompatible with modern graphics cards, none that I'm aware of.
    It can run on modern graphics cards, it's gobs with an absurd amount of cores who get locked out of any game pre-2007.

Quote Originally Posted by War lord View Post
    It can run on modern graphics cards, it's gobs with an absurd amount of cores who get locked out of any game pre-2007.
    The main problem is not about video cards or numbers of cores. The game can't recognize more that 2GB of ram and starts with minimal settings letting you play with only 640x480/800x600 resolutions. If you set your max ram (msconfig) to 2048mb the game runs smoothly with highest 4:3 resolution your monitor can handle.
    The 2nd main problem is Win8. If you have it, forget about MTW.

Campidoctor

Well, apart from getting the game to run on modern computers, how about bugs in the gameplay? Any of you remember any ?
    The game development business is one of bottomless greed, pitiless cruelty, venal treachery, rampant competition, low politics and boundless personal ambition. New game series are rising, and others are starting their long slide into obscurity and defeat.

AFAIK Glorious Achievements have never been fixed but I don't play that mode so I can't tell what's wrong with them. Generally, if you want to know the bugs of original MTW you can check the patch notes. A lot of minor bugs were fixed but nothing even close so crucial like in Rome 2 or other new games nowadays.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Yeah... There are plenty of bugs in MTW but the game is fully playable all the same (just unpolished). It's nothing like ETW or RTW2 if that is what you are wondering, those games are overtly defect - MTW is not defect, its just unpolished and rushed (much stuff could have been better in MTW if they had bothered working it out properly in the first place).

Some bugs/flaws at random order (raw MTW)...

• AI builds little else but peasants...
    • AI-units rarely get upgraded, if at all...
    • AI-shipping and trade in general...
    • AI-priorities in general...
    • AI-crusades...
    • AI-management of spies...
    • AI-management of inquisitors...
    • AI-management of assassins (partially)...
    • Rebellions of ballistas/mangonels/peasants only...
    • Rebels inactive/passive...
    • No princesses for pagan factions in VI/v.2.01
    • No princesses for various factions in v.1.1
    • V.1.1-engine unstable in general, tends crash/freeze after prolonged play...
    • Quick-saves get easily corrupt...
    • Excessive cashflow in game...
    • Conflicting random vices and virtues...
    • Non-random vices and virtues, does not always apply...
    • Etc. etc....

- A

Campidoctor

Thanks to everybody helping to answer my question.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Yeah... There are plenty of bugs in MTW but the game is fully playable all the same (just unpolished). It's nothing like ETW or RTW2 if that is what you are wondering, those games are overtly defect - MTW is not defect, its just unpolished and rushed (much stuff could have been better in MTW if they had bothered working it out properly in the first place).

Some bugs/flaws at random order (raw MTW)...

• AI builds little else but peasants...
    • AI-units rarely get upgraded, if at all...
    • AI-shipping and trade in general...
    • AI-priorities in general...
    • AI-crusades...
    • AI-management of spies...
    • AI-management of inquisitors...
    • AI-management of assassins (partially)...
    • Rebellions of ballistas/mangonels/peasants only...
    • Rebels inactive/passive...
    • No princesses for pagan factions in VI/v.2.01
    • No princesses for various factions in v.1.1
    • V.1.1-engine unstable in general, tends crash/freeze after prolonged play...
    • Quick-saves get easily corrupt...
    • Excessive cashflow in game...
    • Conflicting random vices and virtues...
    • Non-random vices and virtues, does not always apply...
    • Etc. etc....

- A
    Today I notice another bug in-game and that's about the natural disaster the player gets now and then.

Right now I'm playing the English (my favorite faction), without using mods except for a few modifications I made, and the other day I got a disaster about decreased farming income, but after a few turns the effect of that disaster are still present and I know the same thing can happen in RTW too.

Does anyone know how to disable the famine event (I know there is a way of doing that in RTW) in MTW (Medieval campaign and probably in the Viking Invasion campaign too)?
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Excessive cashflow in game...
    What do you mean by that ?

AI-units rarely get upgraded, if at all...
    Axalon, AI-factions can retrain units, but here there are several features.

1. The possibility of retraining depends on the ratio income/expenses and the current amount of money, but even rich factions rarely retrain incomplete troops due to AI features, it's easier with full troops. The selection of units for retraining takes place after selected buildings for construction and units for training. Of course, in the province where the unit is selected for training, it is impossible to retrain troops.

2. Preference is given to troops receiving the highest amount of upgrades and partly having a higher average worth of a soldier of the troop.

3. When a Player puts a troop on retraining, it "disappears" and becomes available again only after retraining. AI troops don't disappear and in addition AI can retrain troops which should move to another province at the end of the turn. I don't know if it's a bug or if it's meant to be.

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are the moments that are probably bugs.

1. AI retrains troops even if it doesn't make sense - when the troop is full and can't raise the upgrade level of its characteristics.

2. Incomplete troop receives upgrades, but is not replenished soldiers. At the same time, the money is still spent.

3. AI can retrain units even if there are no necessary buildings in the province for their training. But the castle is necessary always, and at least one building of the type "TROOP_PRODUCER", "AGENT_PRODUCER" or "SHIP_PRODUCER" and at least one unit should be available for training (any, it can there may even be an agent or ship and others).

4. AI can retrain any units (of course, except agents, ships, Crusade and Jihad), including those that do not available for this faction, unavailable in the current province, and unavailable during the current period.

5. AI can retrain the faction leader's troop.

6. AI can retrain mercenaries.