Thread: Geomod files for BC 2.3

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Geomod files for BC 2.3

We had a few queries in the mapping forum and so I decided to "fix" the necessary files required to run Geomod.

The following items\files have been corrected:

--- export_units ---
    Wrong brackets replaced (bodyguard_rebel)
    missing 'descr' added (aux_arab_archer)

--- descr_strat ---
    Wrong spelling of sulfur resource (was sulphur) corrected
    Replaced 'level castle' entry with 'level town'
    Commented out the relatives line with "Alice Roupenian" in it as the character doesn't exist
    Replaced special characters (umlaut) in names

--- names ---
    Added missing names listed in descr_names

--- descr_names ---

--- descr_regions ---
    corrected religion total for Homs_region (110 instead of 100)
    corrected religion total for Pindi_Region (110 instead of 100)

--- map_heights ---
    invalid heights corrected (RGB 0,0,0)

The complete set of fixed Geomod files can be downloaded here.

It is advisable to extract the files into the mods folder and then work with Geomod there. Once finished (without error or crash) the files can then simply be copied. As always a set of back up files is advisable.
    Note: always run the "convert_all" bat file in the data\text folder before copying. You may have to install Python 2.6.8 to run that program.

Edit: Geomod does not work with the 'sieging' entry - you will have to manually add it back to the end of the "Shahan_Shah" character entry (line 9431) in descr_strat
    Last edited by Gigantus; November 14, 2013 at 06:23 AM.

wudang_clown's Avatar Fire Is Inspirational

Default Re: Geomod files for BC 2.3

Thank you very much, Gigantus.

I'm sticking this thread in Submods section.

Under the patronage of m_1512

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

I remember when I had to use GIMP to add the lousy port because Geomod refused to work with BC. Thanks, Gigantus. If I can get these files working, I'll be able to do even more modding. I can't think of anything else I would need to do with Geomod, but maybe something will come up.

Blog Entries

I use Geomod mostly to do the fine work like adjusting regional borders or shuffling characters around. Makes changes in buildings for settlements very easy, too.
    The 'generating of maps' function comes very handy to follow up on religion spread as well as pop density and fertility. The other maps (hidden resources, trade resources etc) can come handy as well.

Dear Gigantus and everybody else!

I'd like to ask a more experienced modder to explain me how to relocate cities in Broken Crescent 2.32?

I really love this mod, have made my share of text editing to try to reach a more historical state of 1174 for my own pleasure, but can not manage to relocate some of the settlements that really need to be relocated. In a few cases I can get around this problem by simply renaming the city to a historically and/or geografically more accurate one (like: Yerevan>Dvin, Ani>Artanuji, Kirkuk>Arbil and so on) but in other cases this doesn't work because there's no historically more or equally important alternative (like: the capital of Bahrayn, Amorion, Ardabil, Shamakha, Ajmer, Gwalior and a few more) and this saddens me a lot...

The easiest way to do what I'd like would be to change the coordinates of the settlements, but as far as I know this can't be achieved via text editing because there's no file which could be edited with Notepad that would contain them.

Well, here's Geomod also, but I just can't get it done with it.
    It doesn't read the original BC 2.32.
    It starts with Bare Broken Crescent (BC) provided by Gigantus and I can make the desired changes with it (which is to relocate a city, nothing else), but when I start a game it steps back into the main menu upon selecting a faction.

I will try to break down what I'm doing so one of you may notice what am I missing!

1. I made a clean installation of Broken Crescent 2.32 into C:/Sega/Medieval II Total War/mods
    2. Copied the Bare_BC files, downloaded from here (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...roken+Crescent) into C:/Sega/Medieval II Total War/mods/data, in order to be able manage the map.
    3. In theory now I would be able to make any changes with Geomod (I use the latest version, which is o.6.18 EN), but in reality even if I don’t change anything the game won’t start, with these overwritten files, instead it will step back into the main menu upon selecting a faction.
    4. If I try a somewhat different method and firstly make changes in the Bare BC folder and then copy the altered files to where they belong, convert all the text files, delete the map.rwm the result is the same: back to the main menu...

The logging system in itsef is already quite strange to me, as it sometimes works, sometimes doesn't: in about 65% of the cases it creates a logs folder in the Medieval II Total War folder, but in 35% of the cases it just doesn't do anything. The reason behind this is beyond me, because I’m not doing anything any differently.

But this isn't a huge problem, not like the others...

Here's what the log says (with either approach mentioned above used):

12:54:03.817 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 821, column 5
    The castle core building level should be EQUAL the settlement level!

12:54:03.817 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 821, column 5

12:54:03.817 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 965, column 5

12:54:03.817 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 965, column 5

12:54:03.818 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1113, column 5
    The city core building level should be one less than the settlement level!

12:54:03.818 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1113, column 5
    The city core building level should be one less than the settlement level!

12:54:03.825 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1298, column 5

12:54:03.825 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1298, column 5

12:54:03.830 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1914, column 16
    Population of 5000 is too high for a town - max is 4000
    12:54:03.830 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1921, column 5

12:54:03.830 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1921, column 5

12:54:03.830 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1949, column 16
    Population of 7000 is too high for a town - max is 4000
    12:54:03.830 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1956, column 5

12:54:03.831 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 1956, column 5

12:54:03.836 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2101, column 14
    couldn't find Yusuf bin_Ayyub's character_record
    12:54:03.837 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2110, column 1
    The character record Crown Prince Uthman is set as faction heir but is not in the family tree.
    12:54:03.837 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2110, column 1
    The character record Esmatdin is neither married, nor has a father and will be ommited from the game. She needs to be defined as a relative
    The child character record Ghazi has no father and will be ommited from the game. THey need to be defined as a relative
    The child character record Khidr has no father and will be ommited from the game. THey need to be defined as a relative
    12:54:03.841 [script.err] [error] Script Error in mods/broken_crescent_kingdoms/data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign/descr_strat.txt, at line 2501, column 34
    Couldn`t find spouse Sibylla

Line 821 refers to Nicaea, 965 to Seleukeia, 1113 to Varna, 1298 to Ankara, 1914 and 1921 reflect to Ibrim, 1949 and 1956 to Tayma. The rest is self explanatory.

Some of these "errors" are legit: the settlement levels of Seleukeia, Ibrim and Tayma are set to town altough they should be large towns because they are supposed to be castles in the game. This can be corrected easily.
    However Varna being a castle is already at the correct settlement level of large town, the fortresses of Nicaea and Ankara are already set to large city- as they should be. What the heck?
    If I play around and change the type of the settlement, or change the level of the settlement, or the population, or the buildings after a fairly lengthy usage of the trial and error method I can come up with something that is seemingly all right. I can get to a point where the error messages are only concerning the characters.

As for them: Sibylla being older than 16 should be on the map as an agent (princess) so that's fine, and easy to solve.
    But what the hell is wrong with poor Yusuf (Saladin)???? /:He is the source of the problem with the other Ayyubid family tree issues as well.:/ He's older than 16 and alive, so he doesn't need a character record as the log says. He has coordinates, traits, everything: not a comma is missing but the engine still can't find him... The components of his name are registered in desc_names. His parents, spouse and children are also in the right places.
    Well, I tried to rename him, play around with the family tree (changing the order of the records, giving him a character record or completly omitting him) but nothing works. The beauty of it is that when I do this I get newer and newer error messages concerning settlements not being at the adequate level which previously didn't appear in the log... Literally, if I solve one problem two others are spawned...

I've spent days trying to figure out a way to make this work and I'm getting to a point where I'm coming to the conclusion that Geomod just can't handle BC 2.3 or even worse: it is intentionally programmed in a way that prohibits any changes on the campaign map...
    Or - and hopefully this is the case – I’m just doing something totally wrong and one of you may be able to tell me what that is!!

Blog Entries

Relocating a settlement involves the moving of the related black pixel in the map_regions graphic. Plus you need to move the garrison as well which would be in descr_strat.
    Geomod will most likely not work properly because of some custom code or a simple code error that the game manages to ignore but Geomod can't.

Just another note: I also tried to "debug" the campaign map with Geomod first, then copy the data files, convert the text files, delete map.rwm and run the game, but nothing has changed.

I know that I have to move the black pixel, validate and save Also that the new place has to be accessible, within the same region and so on.
    As I said: even if I don't change anything with Geomod, just overwrite the original files with the ones in Bare BC the game won't start.
    So this means that no modifications can be carried out via Geomod, so I'll have to find another way... Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Do what I said the manual way. The TGA file can be opened and edited with GIMP.

Thanks, at least this works.
    Altough it is way more complicated and time consuming...