Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: The ultimate "is the game worth it / buyable / playable" now thread

Default Re: Is Rome 2 Worth Buying Right Now?

with mods its awesome
    play multiplayer campaign and bad AI will be yo problem no more

As others have said, I find it unplayable without an overhaul mod, namely Divide et Impera.

I'd say that (playing DeI) I'd give this about a 7/10, give or take a point. The main detractors for me are

- siege battles still poor. AI will use ladders but won't reinforce the. I'd have lost a city to them if they'd reinforced the ladders, but instead they rushed the gate and I won

- unit cards and building icons are ugly. Just feels out of place (I believe the art-work used is an Archaic style, ie 500 years out of place) and unnatural. Reminds me that I'm sat in front of a computer and playing a game

- strongly dislike how enemies routing in battle works. Drop their flags and disappear off the map, and between that, the poor path-finding of chasing units and their poor performance when it comes to running down routers it honestly just makes that part of battles frustrating. I end up telling each unit to chase down the enemy and then just go away for a few minutes while they run around the map. Definitely a low point of field battles, which are otherwise really fun

- pretty stupid campaign AI/diplomacy AI. Includes enemy armies running around the world map like headless chickens/sittting in the sea or the AI refusing a peace treaty even when my full strength stack is about to batter down their meagre fishing village

- vanilla really doesn't feel like much of a historical game to me, especially in terms of how things play out. Rome is usually conquered by the Etruscans or Gauls to the north. Nomadic tribes wipe out mighty Carthage, Macedonia always falls to some obscure Thracian tribe....it doesn't feel at all like you're in the ancient with these things in mind. Feels more like you're just playing a strategy game where the factions and units just so happen to be based on ones from history.

I can get some fun from it (only with DeI) but it's really not a fantastic game at the present state. Extremely poor immersion, although mods can help that to some degree. If you want a strategy game then this isn't bad, but if you were hoping for a strategy game with historical immersion then you've come to wrong place.

Artifex

Never buy a CA game unless it is a Gold version.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Bear in mind that the AI is still broken. There are times, when besieged, where the AI won't move the units. You win by time-over. I've seen it plenty.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by ToonTotalWar View Post
    It's only worth buying if you want to play with some of the overhaul mods that are available such as divide et impera, radious mods and of course my All in one mod!
    wich ones come closer to the DarthMods of the previous TW opus?
    My config:
    Windows 10 64 bit 1903
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
    RX Vega 64 8gb HBM2
    16gb RAM DDR4 3200mhz
    Samsung 960 EVO 5000
    WD Caviar Black 4TB
    All Windows patches installed, latest drivers for motherboard and videocard (from AMD)

zzzms's Avatar Semisalis

No. I bought it in last weeks Steam sale having reasoned that after 9 patches most issues would be fixed, but they aren't. There are some very fundamental flaws with unit balancing, issues with the way the game works e.g. having the details for a spy open and not being able to upgrade said spy without having to close and re-open the details again, and having to turn the advisor off every time I play the game...which are minor niggles, but they build up and are making the game annoying to play. Graphically, things look OK close up, but pull the camera away and it looks awful [I'm playing on ultra settings too!] IMHO this is another Empire failure which will never work correctly and I want my money back. It's a shame as when I first started to play it seemed alright, but all those little bugs have just got to me and have made it unplayable.

The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities.~John Acton, [1877].

"...the moral test of government is how that government treats those who are in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of life, the elderly; those who are in the shadows of life; the sick, the needy and the handicapped. " ~ Hubert H. Humphrey

"A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Ghandi

Proculus: Divine Caesar, PLEASE! What have I done? Why am I here?
    Caligula: Treason!
    Proculus: Treason? I have always been loyal to you!
    Caligula: [laughs insanely] That IS your treason! You're an honest man, Proculus, which means a bad Roman! Therefore, you are a traitor! Logical, hmm? Ha, ha, ha!

Well...... the game has been improved a bit , but just a bit in the AI section (except for the siege AI) and performance is a lot better, but the core design decisions that ruin the game are still there.

If you prefer a deep and engaging strategy game then NO! PLay ROME 1 with the mods, or medieval II with rome period mod.

If you like your total war more easy and light experience then this game fits your preference. (this will happen only if you play on very hard or legendary, anything low before that and the game is just not worth the time )

But don`t expect the game to be a challange even now after 7 months, the game is not even close to a fraction of what rome 1 offers you.

I play rome 1 from 2007 and I`m still playing it (with mods of course),and now after 7 years I`m still enjoying it.ROme II I stoped playing , I only enter the game just to see the changes from patches and that`s it, I stoped playing a few months ago.
    Last edited by Pseudolivius; March 08, 2014 at 08:42 AM.

DaciaJC's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by iWarsaw View Post
    Of course buy Rome 2 but take a look around first for a good deal. The spring sale should be coming soon on Steam soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Guy With No Imagination View Post
    Wait for the steam spring sale for the price to go down, the vanilla game is decent, but is much improved with mods. DeI in particular, those boys have done a fine job.
    There's a Steam spring sale?

Man o' War's Avatar Semisalis

The game's a bargain basement buy, not something to focus on if you really enjoyed previous TW titles.

It's aimed at a younger audience with such devices as buildings represented by coloured tiles with numbers 1, 2, 3, 4 on them etc.
    Plop said tile on grid, collect all grids in an area for power ups.

You've still got magic carpets, magic boats, self repairing buildings and cb radio diplomacy.

It really is all about simplicity over strategy and graphics over gameplay.

If you like the idea of TW Lite then chuck a few quid at it mate, but there's nothing groundbreaking in it and very, very many features have been removed which were once the staples of TW games so don't expect too much.
    Last edited by Man o' War; March 08, 2014 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaciaJC View Post
    There's a Steam spring sale?
    Sometimes. There's usually publisher specific sales between now and summer, I think. Rome 2 would be on sale come summer, without a doubt though. That's one of the first big sale periods on Steam.

Vađarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: The ultimate "is the game worth it / buyable / playable" now thread

Merged similar threads.
    {I cook weird stuff}-{Patronised by the fearsome Chloe}
    „[...] ţví ađ međ lögum skal land vort byggja en eigi međ ólögum eyđa.“
    (The Frosta-thing law, 1260)

Is acher in gaíth innocht,
    fu-fuasna fairggae findfolt:
    ní ágor réimm mora minn
    dond láechraid lainn ua Lothlind.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by zzzms View Post
    e.g. having the details for a spy open and not being able to upgrade said spy without having to close and re-open the details again,
    Work-around:
    1- click on any other icon of the spy, re-click on his details.
    or
    2- press #2 on your kb.

I'm with you, it's a silly little annoying thing that should have been fixed, just like the numerous freezes in the campaign.
    My config:
    Windows 10 64 bit 1903
    AMD Ryzen 7 1700x
    RX Vega 64 8gb HBM2
    16gb RAM DDR4 3200mhz
    Samsung 960 EVO 5000
    WD Caviar Black 4TB
    All Windows patches installed, latest drivers for motherboard and videocard (from AMD)

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Epic28 View Post
    Wait for a sale, don't buy it at full price. Especially don't play it without an overhaul mod. I'd rather go to the dentist than play Vanilla Rome 2.
    My idea exactly! Walled sieges suck and the 1v1 instances make battles a terrible experience. Once I surrounded 1 noble horse with my noble horse, 3 light horse and 1 spear warrior unit and they held on for 1 and a half min until their reinforcements arrived! Numbers counted for nothing! Also, it seems that in walled sieges my skirmishers cannot shoot at the enemy unless they are on the ramparts but the AI skirmishers can shoot from under the walls with 100% accuracy! Also, torches kill any strategy you might have to hold off a larger force! The enemy will eventually abandon the siege equipment, burn down the gates and simply walk in! And because of 1v1 instances you cannot hold off a large number of enemies in a short corridor (like Leonidas did at Thermophylae) because your men will engage in 1v1 battles and die way faster than they should have. So, with all number denying strategies being nullified by the way the battle mechanics work, you are left to make sure you have enough numbers to win a battle or at least, top quality troops to do it. Tactics do not work with the current battle system which is pretty awful considering the ancient battles tactics - just think of Alexander, the Successors, Hannibal, Caesar and so many more! You can say that tactics were invented in this period damn it and most attempts to use them gets you in trouble because the game mechanics suck!
    Last edited by Petroniu; March 08, 2014 at 04:32 PM.
    RTWRM - back to basics

Default Re: Worth buying now after 4 patches?

Getgamesgo has a 55% discount. All those on the fence may want to take advantage of this.

Indefinitely Banned

I don't think the siege battles are that hard and broken. I don't think that 1v1 problem is a bad thing, I think it makes it more realistic seeing your troops do that.

baptistus's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Simonyi de Vitézvár View Post
    I don't think the siege battles are that hard and broken.
    you don't think ?
    I played sev eral campaign siege battle and I am still waiting for a battle with ladders, towers, catapults, beliers and AI use all of them without bugs. In Rome 1 you have this kind of battle in the campaign.
    And even the torches are broken, sometimes the AI just stay in front the gate and do nothing until the time out....
    Last edited by baptistus; March 08, 2014 at 08:30 PM.

I stick with RTW and I won't buy any new game until they do a decent development of that.

I play a modded version, though, with huge improvements includng an incredible campaign map and outstanding historical accuracy. It's easy to install and stable, too.

Just look out for Rome Total History here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...l-History-(RTH)

This is the download of the latest version: http://dfiles.eu/files/9ndj3njor

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

If you want to relax while waiting until Rome 2 gets a worthy successor, visit the humour thread. There you'll definitely find out why it may be unfortunately not worth buying full priced
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Default Rome 2 worth buying ? (with mods)

Hey

first, i played all total war games but it seem Rome 2 is a real shame especially after i watched this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXkWfEIALxM

my question is simple, with some overhaul mods like Divide and Impera or Radious Total War mod, is the game worth it ?

I mean i know what improvement has been Dartmods for empire/napoleon/shogun regarding AI, bugs, and all stuff, turning a real into something very good.

are those mods i mentioned will do the same ? how they really extend the experience and correct the original game ? and which one is better ?

thx

"With Hate, all things are possible." Malus Darkblade