Page 10 of 38 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: The ultimate "is the game worth it / buyable / playable" now thread

Default Re: How's the state of the game now (from a playability perspective)?

Acceptable. Except the siege AI.

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Is Rome II enjoyable after all Patches/Fixes/Submods?

I think that patch 9 will be the one,now the Jupiter temple will have the correct income and the torches will be even better.I can't wait to see the new ranges.

crzyrndm's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart11 View Post
    This is what my game gives me, huge clusterfuch of mess i cannot even look at.
    Reminds me of what happened to 90% of an AI army in Med 2 (and in variants through every TW...)

AI + Chokepoint =
    It’s better to excite some and offend others than be bland and acceptable to all
    Creating a mod.pack with PFM - Database Table Fragments

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart11 View Post
    This is what my game gives me, huge clusterfuch of mess i cannot even look at.

After five patches the battles still in that poor conditions,maybe because battles are not a important thing in a wargame.

The game is a LOT better since initial release, and i am highly critical of this 'release'.

But it is playable now...

Provided you mod the crap out of the game.

But playable non the less, im finnaly getting something for my money.

Petroniu's Avatar Domesticus

For me, it is the very low performance of the game. In theory, I should be able to run the game on medium settings but in practice, I cannot run the game with everything on the lowest setting (even lowest resolution + windowed mode!) and get above 10 FPS... I hope they fix that. Then and then only will I be able to try to play over the other inconsistencies that the game has (like how I despise the evened out density of cities and their small number - only 53).
    RTWRM - back to basics

IZob's Avatar Citizen

What is the multiplayer like (battles and campaign)? Is it fun, enjoyable, populated with players?
    Last edited by IZob; November 11, 2013 at 05:22 AM.

I am enjoying it on occasional playings, but the Battle AI still leaves quite a lot to be desired, especially on sieges.

Campaign AI does seem to have improved, with enemies sending armies after weakly-defended settlements. For instance, as Rome I had conquered half of Spain and Greece and my legions were nearly all out on my new frontiers. One defeated nation sent its remaining armies to Italy. They besieged settlement after settlement, taking them, razing them to the ground, and then heading off for the next target while my one Italian Legion chased after them. That was brilliant play in my opinion. It made me feel like an idiot (not very hard) which was a welcome change from steam-rolling the AI.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    The game is playable as is right now.
    The same way that a Wartburg was drivable. There was no fun, excitement or pleasure in it, but it was certainly drivable. Had a steering wheel. Brakes.
    There's no real glaring issues with it.
    Except if you like to actually play battles and not autoresolve. Which kind of defeats the purpose of having an autoresolve button.
    Most of the anger - besides the still existing bugs - boils down to people's personal tastes.
    Indeed. Some people want to enjoy the game. Some hope for a modicum of plausibility and are not satisfied burning gates with torches because the game's engine is not suited to this time period. Or use phalanx Taste.
    Which isn't unexpected, really.
    People have taste. Disturbing but not entirely unexpected.
    Also, whenever someone says something about 'magical boats', ignore them.
    However if they start seriously discussing unicorns, pay attention.
    Transports are the weakest, slowest ships in the game.
    Even where there are s of them.
    They're not really a threat.
    Because those mostly congregate at the edge of your naval range. Whole armies lived in the sea for years. It is known.
    You'd prefer sinking a strong army onboard weak ships, then fighting them on land.
    Because it adds to immersion and plausibility. Not to mention that,on land, you would autoresolve anyway because:
    These games are designed intending you to probably autoresolve any battle that is heavily, or leaning enough in your favor.
    Of course you could argue that naval battles are bugged. So what? Transports are the weakest ships, so battle is in your favour so, you HAVE to autoresolve anyway.

Conclusion: go buy a Wartburg.

M2TWRocks's Avatar Domesticus

Game went from running VERY poorly at release to running fine now. My rig isn't great: AMD 5870, Intel I7 920, 12 GB ram. Biggest problem for me now is just how clunky the game is designed. It feels like a game made by a TW imitator than from the people who gave us the polish and almost perfection of S2TW.

After getting everything running fine after 5 patches, you see the real problems with the game. It's clunky, stagnant, and frankly, just uninteresting. It's a real shame considering the depth and magnitude of the period. You will likely have fun the first 25-50 turns if you pick a difficult starting faction. After that, its similar to having a data entry job in a cubicle. "End turn, end turn, attack this settlement, autocalc, end turn, end turn..." Boring.

short answer: no
    long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
    "Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place, and stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living."

Quote Originally Posted by M2TWRocks View Post
    Game went from running VERY poorly at release to running fine now. My rig isn't great: AMD 5870, Intel I7 920, 12 GB ram. Biggest problem for me now is just how clunky the game is designed. It feels like a game made by a TW imitator than from the people who gave us the polish and almost perfection of S2TW.

After getting everything running fine after 5 patches, you see the real problems with the game. It's clunky, stagnant, and frankly, just uninteresting. It's a real shame considering the depth and magnitude of the period. You will likely have fun the first 25-50 turns if you pick a difficult starting faction. After that, its similar to having a data entry job in a cubicle. "End turn, end turn, attack this settlement, autocalc, end turn, end turn..." Boring.
    That's pretty much every Total War ever once you get going. My Oda campaign in Shogun 2 was literally autocalcing the entire campaign after I got past the rocky start.

Vaðarholmr's Avatar Archivum Scriptorium
    Content Emeritus