Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kallikratis's Greek Project

Mr.Plaice's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Kallikratis's Greek Project

When you will release the new beta? BTW i think you overdo it by putting a password on the file!
    Veni, vidi, vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar.

Kallikratis's Avatar Miles

I think the new beta will be released during Christmas time (Dec 20-Jan 1).

Kalli, this is really great stuff - one of the very best skin packs I've seen! Are you still planning to get the update out before the end of the year?

By the way, the only gripe I have is that my Greek army is now full of these uber hoplites and swordsmen. How about some light infantry/cavalry, peltasts to balance things out??

I think the über-hoplites wet one's appetite for the release of the Hegemonia Total War mod.

Definitely. But I've kind of given up on that mod ever seeing the light of day. It looks truly amazing, but unfortunately seems to be progressing at such a slow pace like it's half dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawe View Post
    How about some light infantry/cavalry, peltasts to balance things out??
    The new beta includes some light infantry and cavalry as well. I will post some pics soon. I would like to make the Greek tech tree like the Roman, you know with the Marian reforms so the player can reqruit a majority of units. But i can't do this because i don't know how. I have posted a thread about it here:http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73403 but no answers.

Cyrus the Virus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

You could just make the units under influence by the Marius Reform as the Romans. Recruitable after the reform or before.
    Otherwise only a script could make exactly what you want, like the one EB use, though very advanced.

"And the Heavens Shall Tremble"
    Resistance is futile™

"ehn sewr traih-sluyrds-lairareh"

Actually I've had an idea about this for some time. There's a really simple way to emulate the tech changes. Right now, you usually build a more advanced building in order to get better troops, i.e. a basic muster field gets you a militia unit, while something like a Spartan superman is only available by building a royal barracks. This is the same method used since the dawn of real-time strat games like AoE.

But for some factions, particularly the Greeks, who started out with slow and heavily armoured units, but ended up with lighter, faster units it doesn't really make sense. I mean, Sparta itself was never a particularly advanced or highly urbanized place, right? Instead, why not allow the Greeks to build their classical Corinthian-helmeted units with the lower level buildings - which means early in the game they have some very powerful troops, including super elite Spartan hoplites. But as you go up the tech tree, you lose the ability to build these old-fashioned and outdated units - and in their place you start getting access to peltasts, Greek 'legionaries', and lighter faster hoplites.

I think this would emulate the era's change in technology quite well. It would give the player a dilemma. If he wants to unlock the latest technologies and increased trading capacities, superior infrastructure, etc, he'll have to do so at the expense of losing his beloved classical-era hoplites.

It also means that different Greek Cities can remain at different tech levels. So maybe the player decides to keep Sparta relatively low-tech so as to retain access to heavy Spartan hoplites. Athens, on the other hand, might get upgraded, meaning that it'll lose its old-style hoplites, but instead end up with lighter faster 'cutting edge' units and other technological bonuses (maybe tied in with increased trade and superior culture/infrastructure).

Just an idea. Not sure if it's been used before, but I thought I'd throw it into the mix.

Nice idea but game's balance would be a mess. If Greece can train Spartans, the game is over! On the contrary, Marian reforms can represent the phalanx innovation; before Marian reforms the player can train hoplites as heavy infantry with no phalanx formation, and after the reforms with the phalanx formation. It seems nice, don't you think?

Sure, that's a pretty good way of doing it. I think it could work pretty well and would be easy to implement.

Now where are those new units!

even if they are unrealistic i'd like more greeks soldiers with swords, thanks in advance

I think what would be really cool is a pure assault troop designed for taking city walls. Kind of like a Greek version of the Bastarnae mercs in RTW vanilla - maybe a heavy kopis sword or axe and no major armour apart from a Corinthian helmet, greaves, and shield.

How's the update coming?

Sorry for the late reply, but i'm busy with university exams at the present. Mod's release date will be delayed a bit. I will notify you about any progress.

Hey man, hope the exams went well.

Are you still planning to release an update for this mod?

Yes, don't worry :wink:

The release date of my second beta is approaching. So, in this post i will display the infantry of the Greek City States. I have to finish some details about missile and cavalry troops so just infantry for now.

I. Pre-Marian units
    HOPLITE

HYPASPIST

HEAVY HOPLITE

EARLY OFFICER(POLEMARCH)

EARLY FLAG BEARER

II. Post-Marian units
    HOPLITIC PHALANX

HEAVY HOPLITIC PHALANX

HEAVY HYPASPIST

LATE OFFICER(POLEMARCH)

LATE FLAG BEARER

III. Special units
    CORINTHIAN HYPASPIST

ATHENEAN HOPLITE

SPARTAN HOPLITE

SACRED BAND OF THEBES

IV. Constantly available units
    MILITIA HOPLITE

Enjoy :wink:

Very nice. one question. Are you going to add some light infantry though?

Any chance you wanna join my mod?
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

Excellent! Can't wait. Like roman_man#3 says, some light infantry (and cavalry) would be great so as to make the roster more complete. Your new militia hoplite would even make a good basis for a peltast unit.

Actually there is some cavalry, but not like Roman or Macedonian since most of the Greek army was on foot. When done, i will make a preview of both cavalry and missile troops.

When are you realeasing the second version? It looks awesome!!

Please hurry.
    RM3
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast