Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Skyrim: Total War [WIP]

Default Re: Skyrim: Total War [WIP]

I was thinking that an Elder Scrolls: Total War game would be sick (although I was thinking of a grander scale like Tamriel, but this is still pretty awesome). Best of luck to you.

Black Druid's Avatar Civis

The map seems very cool, I'm itching to see it(I have a thing for maps), and of course to see all the features of the mod. Great work so far, best of luck, keep modding. \m/

Probably already mentioned, but will the Imperials be playable? In my opinion the Nords when you could command the legions of the Empire under General Tullius

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Alertoverlord View Post
    Is this mod dead ?
    Definitely not, my friend! As I mentioned in my erlier post, the development of this project is slow from my part due to busy time in RL which might last for a few upcoming months, but that doesn't mean that the project has been abandoned or that it would be dead.

More teasers and updates are going to be seen here once I get arranged more time to devote to Skyrim: Total War. Currently I'd be able to do a few edits here and then, but it is much more arduous compared to modding when one really has the time to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by CladinPlaid View Post
    I was thinking that an Elder Scrolls: Total War game would be sick (although I was thinking of a grander scale like Tamriel, but this is still pretty awesome). Best of luck to you.
    Thank you! There is of course the Morrowind: TW which I think covers the most of Tamriel. I wanted to concentrate on a more specific area, but also have more detail in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Druid View Post
    The map seems very cool, I'm itching to see it(I have a thing for maps), and of course to see all the features of the mod. Great work so far, best of luck, keep modding. \m/
    Thanks! I'd be glad to show more of the map once there are something worth showing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Valentino View Post
    Probably already mentioned, but will the Imperials be playable? In my opinion the Nords when you could command the legions of the Empire under General Tullius
    I think I've answered to that question with some vague mubling somewhere, but at least for now the plan is to make the Legionnaires as recruitable troops for the Haafingar, or as an AoR unit in Solitude. I've been a bit hesitant to the idea of making the Empire a faction of its own wandering on the map and living in their Imperial camps here and there, but I wouldn't want to rule out the possibility of having the faction either at this point.

I'm sure there would be many ways to have the Empire included in if it was wanted to.

For example, in the last page I was playing around with an idea of having a "Empire unification" -event should the player gain too much power or seek to unify all of Skyrim and so become a threat. That might make an interesting end game if not else.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg

What if a player is asked whether they swear allegiance to the Emperor or not. If so than they get access to Imperial troops.
    ...and the drawing of the scimitars of the Southrons was like a glitter of stars.

What if a player is asked whether they swear allegiance to the Emperor or not. If so than they get access to Imperial troops.
    Or stormcloacks if they refuse, right?
    ''Holy hell that Scythe is overpowerd! Death should be nerfed!''

Hey there Finlander! I've got an idea, I'm not sure you or anyone here agrees with me on this, but I wouldn't mind if you'd release the mod in sort of an alpha stage in which all units just have the default guard skin (differently colored and maybe with mounted and archer variants) and then maybe get permissions from the TATW team to use their model of Edoras for Whiterun and their Helms Deep or Minas Tirith one for Markarth just as a placeholder so we could at least get a taste as to how this mod would be, I've got no experience in modding so I don't know how much work getting a working version like that up and running but whatever the case, don't rush, I think this idea is brilliant and would rather like you to take your time with it and release a more finished product rather than rush out an unfinished one, but whilst we wait release an alpha, similar to what the Westeros Total War team have done.

Content Emeritus

I kind of like the idea, but at the same time I feel that the other Holds - despite their allegiance - shouldn't be able to raise Imperial troops on their provinces as the Legions were military of the Empire, and thus weren't under the command of the Jarls'. Haafingar on the other hand had a clear connection with the Legions as the Legion's headquarters were statitioned in the provincial Capital.

What I'd propose is that the player could have the Imperial troops as mercenary type soldiers, or have the ability to field them in their military force if the player has sworn allegiance to the Empire and have built some kind of stationary "camp" or building, which would make them a sort of AOR styled units.

Maybe a more logical approach would just make the Empire giving some Imperial troops for its vassals to aid them in their war effort, or as an reward for accomplishments.

Quote Originally Posted by DireNerd View Post
    Hey there Finlander! I've got an idea, I'm not sure you or anyone here agrees with me on this, but I wouldn't mind if you'd release the mod in sort of an alpha stage in which all units just have the default guard skin (differently colored and maybe with mounted and archer variants) and then maybe get permissions from the TATW team to use their model of Edoras for Whiterun and their Helms Deep or Minas Tirith one for Markarth just as a placeholder so we could at least get a taste as to how this mod would be, I've got no experience in modding so I don't know how much work getting a working version like that up and running but whatever the case, don't rush, I think this idea is brilliant and would rather like you to take your time with it and release a more finished product rather than rush out an unfinished one, but whilst we wait release an alpha, similar to what the Westeros Total War team have done.
    Hmm, I could probably consider releasing an early stage version of the mod without all planned units being made, but it would still take some time before it could be even called an Alpha version. I am not too keen to release an unfinished product as the negative experience might just discourage people from giving the mod a second try once a more polished version has been released. First impression means a lot, despite that how clear it would be made that it is not meant to be the finished version.

To my knowledge Eriador unit roster was made by King Kong, who seems not to be too active on TWC anymore, which would make getting his permision to use his units quite tricky. I could ofc try to get in contact with the other TATW team members and ask for permissions for some of their works, but having the team leader's permission as well would be the best thing IMO.

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    Charerg

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I made a sig for the faction of Windhelm, feel free to use it people. Might do more if I feel like it

Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Content Emeritus

That is very good my friend! I'll sticky it to the OP.

Charerg

I have an idea, though I've only read the wiki and played Skyrim. It is my understanding that the Imperials are not focusing all their might on Skyrim and as a result are able to match them somewhat evenly.

Why not have the force under Tulius serve as a papal state sort of deal, where they command any other factions loyal to the Imperials to go out and seize enemy lands.

I think the unique recruitment camp building would be good for many types of AOR units.

One last thing I just thought of! Will the dwemer ruins be represented in game? Maybe for automaton units or trade resource bonuses? I remember using some of them as allies in my game(maybe that was part of a mod :p).

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    I kind of like the idea, but at the same time I feel that the other Holds - despite their allegiance - shouldn't be able to raise Imperial troops on their provinces as the Legions were military of the Empire, and thus weren't under the command of the Jarls'. Haafingar on the other hand had a clear connection with the Legions as the Legion's headquarters were statitioned in the provincial Capital.

What I'd propose is that the player could have the Imperial troops as mercenary type soldiers, or have the ability to field them in their military force if the player has sworn allegiance to the Empire and have built some kind of stationary "camp" or building, which would make them a sort of AOR styled units.

Maybe a more logical approach would just make the Empire giving some Imperial troops for its vassals to aid them in their war effort, or as an reward for accomplishments.

Hmm, I could probably consider releasing an early stage version of the mod without all planned units being made, but it would still take some time before it could be even called an Alpha version. I am not too keen to release an unfinished product as the negative experience might just discourage people from giving the mod a second try once a more polished version has been released. First impression means a lot, despite that how clear it would be made that it is not meant to be the finished version.

To my knowledge Eriador unit roster was made by King Kong, who seems not to be too active on TWC anymore, which would make getting his permision to use his units quite tricky. I could ofc try to get in contact with the other TATW team members and ask for permissions for some of their works, but having the team leader's permission as well would be the best thing IMO.
    Of course, I understand you want to release a more confident version but as I said, it was just an idea and you just do this however you like it, I just wanted to let you know I am super excited about this mod and really want to see this thing released, keep up the good work mate!

Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Encablossa View Post
    I have an idea, though I've only read the wiki and played Skyrim. It is my understanding that the Imperials are not focusing all their might on Skyrim and as a result are able to match them somewhat evenly.

Why not have the force under Tulius serve as a papal state sort of deal, where they command any other factions loyal to the Imperials to go out and seize enemy lands.

I think the unique recruitment camp building would be good for many types of AOR units.
    The Empire is currently a big empty page for me, I certainly don't have any idea which way to make it in game - not that it should be decided either at this very moment - so all ideas conserning the Empire are the most welcome, and I'll read them all with pleasure!

Yeah, the Empire could work as a Papal state quite well, it is a potential option to have on the list. Maybe bit similar to the Dark Lord -faction in TATW, influenting the events of Skyrim indirectly by aiding loyal Jarls with troops etc?

On the other hand, Mhaedros, for example, has suggested making the Empire a horde faction similar to the Mongols/Timurids, but also proposed the Empire starting with a few small settlements, such as Helgen.

I'm sure there are many ways to represent the Empire.

One last thing I just thought of! Will the dwemer ruins be represented in game? Maybe for automaton units or trade resource bonuses? I remember using some of them as allies in my game(maybe that was part of a mod :p).
    I'm glad you asked about the Dwemer ruins, I have been secretly been planning all kind of features for them, but currently none have been written down. They are more than likely be in the map.

I'd very much like to see Dwemer Centurions and Spheres in the mod at some point, even thinking about them in the mod gives me goose bumps, but they are by no means easy to make.

If you would have any suggestions about the possible events, features, ancillaries, bonuses etc. concerning Dwemer ruins, feel free to share them. There must be plenty of material to work with!

Quote Originally Posted by DireNerd View Post
    Of course, I understand you want to release a more confident version but as I said, it was just an idea and you just do this however you like it, I just wanted to let you know I am super excited about this mod and really want to see this thing released, keep up the good work mate!
    Yeah, I understand. Thank you very much for the support, means a lot!

Charerg

Actually Empire as the Papal States is a good idea. Titus Medus II could replace the pope. So let's put together all the ideas:

The Empire is a faction, essentially a de facto Papal States. The head of the Empire is Titus Mede (or Tullius?). They will have control of some smaller cities like Helgen since they don't have an affiliated Yarl (I don't think they do..?). Maybe even control Solitude as their only major cities. Those holds who help the empire will start off as allies of The Empire and should be scripted to stay that way unless certain events occur. The Empire should also have forts with garrisons all along the border just as the Stormcloaks will have, with a main army at Solitude. Now in order to upkeep them The Empire should start off with heaps of money until they can expand for themselves. Recruitment for the empire should be limited. It should take a long time to train Imperial troops, and guards of Solitude should be scarce as well to force the Empire to be conservative about losses, both AI and player, whoever is controlling them. Now the player can either choose to upkeep the forts and dedicate troops to defending them, playing conservative and letting her allies naturally attack the Stormcloaks and provide help to them when necessary. Or, if they wish they could empty the garrisons and commence an invasion of certain holds they wish to take. The later would result in almost around half of Skyrim being controlled by the Imperials. The former would make it a challenge since they would have to go up against all of Skyrim eventually (if the player wants).

Also, I think there should not be an early release. I am willing to wait. I am already waiting for Europa Barbarorum II, Divide and Conquer 1.0, The Last Alliance and this mod along with a few others.
    ...and the drawing of the scimitars of the Southrons was like a glitter of stars.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

on the matter of the Empire, assuming that the campaign starts with the rebellion of Stormcloacks already on and Torygg already dead:

- The leader of the Empire troops, Gen Tullius, has been sent to Skyrim with the 4th Legion with the specific purpose of ending the rebellion; he is reported to be the "Military Governor" of Skyrim; we have to rember that officially Skyrim is under the direct military dominion of the Empire and that the rebellion is not supported by a "Skyrim Army", something that does not exist at the time;
    - Thalmor presence in Skyrim is part of the rights they acquired with the White-Gold Concordat; Thalmors are not officially controlling the Empire nor its armies, and while they officially side with the Legion their real purpose in Skyrim is to weaken Nords' morale and to destroy, if possible, Talos worship. They have and Embassy, meaning that they have no real rule in the area but are part of a foreign government; they stepped into Skyrim after the so called Markarth Incident;
    - Solitude is both the capital of Haafingar and the seat of the Legion in Skyrim; this is mostly due to the fact that amongst the variuos feuds Solitude is the most bound with the Empire, as the bloodlines of the local Jarls and of the Empire family are mixed

Said the above, my idea was and is:

- Solitude should have imperial roosted with possibly AOR from Thalmors, Tullius should be THE General and possibly the heir of Elisif in case she dies
    - the Emperor Titus Mede II can act as a Pope for Solitude and the others alligned factions, though time between invasions should be encreased IMO
    - the variuos Imperial forts and camps around skyrim should be under the control of Solitude faction*

* alternatively there can be an Imperial faction, but honestly I can't see how you can give the same capital to two different factions (Haafingar and Legion), plus honestly from lore point of view there couldn't be any real presence for the Legion in Skyrim if not for the bounds between the Empire and the Jarls of Haafingar

those are just some thoughts I'm bringing in, I realized that there is still much to consider on this matter, I'll see what I can come out with in the future
    Last edited by Flinn; April 30, 2014 at 11:30 AM.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Well I'm saying that the Empire should maybe start with no cities? But with a large army with GEN Tullius and heaps of forts along the border? Either that or Solitude is representative of Imperial troops.

Centenarius

Good ideas Flinn, here there are my thoughts:
    The Solitude settlement could be divided into: Solitude to the Jarl, and Castle Dour as a settlement owned by an Imperial Legion faction. Solitude faction can recruit aor empire units like the legionaires, while the Imperial legion owns Castle Dour and few Imperial camps; also the Legion an have the ''teutonic'' family tree with Tullius as main leader. Anyway i just wanted to share my thoughts

Maybe for legion's troops you could choose between making two versions, a ligh and an heavy version and of course archers, as it's said ingame the horses of skyrim are slower but stronger, so if you make a cavalry unit for the legion you could make it faster but easier to get tired and finally for low-mid rank officers you could use as base the imperial officer helmet and for legates/captains/Generals the closed version of the imperial helmet.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Warcrafthero View Post
    Good ideas Flinn, here there are my thoughts:
    The Solitude settlement could be divided into: Solitude to the Jarl, and Castle Dour as a settlement owned by an Imperial Legion faction. Solitude faction can recruit aor empire units like the legionaires, while the Imperial legion owns Castle Dour and few Imperial camps; also the Legion an have the ''teutonic'' family tree with Tullius as main leader. Anyway i just wanted to share my thoughts
    thanks mate

well having two factions for Empire and Haafingar could be a possibility, though I can't see how you can split Solitude in two without making a mess with the lore (actually Castle Duor, the seat of the Legion, is just in the center of Solitude itself); the idea behind is not bad I have to admit, because officially Solitude is "allied" with the Legion and "host" them, but they are not under the control of the Legion itself and only welcomed them willingly, so possibly a player would have the chance to change side in the battle for Skyrim even if they play Haafingar. To this I have to oppose that the mod is based (or so I understood) on the idea of the civil war; Haafingar and Eastmarch should really remain on their original side for the whole campaign, IMO.

Well I'm saying that the Empire should maybe start with no cities? But with a large army with GEN Tullius and heaps of forts along the border? Either that or Solitude is representative of Imperial troops.
    pairing the quote from Warcrafthero, I can say that this is a good idea too (Legion starting as an horde and controlling forts), though it poses some lore and development problems:
    - the Legion does not contruct anything in Skyrim apart from small camps; all the sites it occupies are Nord settlements/forts/castles.
    - as said Castle Dour is their headquarter
    - there are no hints for the Legion to have received any reinforcement during the Civil war; one side is Haafingar with the legion soldiers and the other loyal feuds, other side is Windhelm with the Stormcloaks and the other rebel feuds, no other forces (not even Thalmor ones) have been seen during the civil war on the battlefields.
    - making a new faction for the empire would really be a huge work, and honestly I would prefer to see other "skyrimish" factions worked on; Falmers, Dragonpriests and draugur, etc; ah and I'd prefer to have a better development and customization on the 9 feuds.

So overall I remain with the idea that Haafingar has to has imperial troops roster with Thalmor AOR, Elisif is the leader and Tullius the most powerful general; they should have troops in Haafingar region and on the castels occupied by the legion in the feud itself

all the other loyal feuds (at the beginning of the campaign I mean) should get control of local nord troops, but the castels/forts hold by the legion into their territory should be under the control of Solitude and garrisoned with few imperial troops; this way if the feud betrays the Legion they will immediatly be exposed to revenge by the local garrisons; the same should be valid for rebel feuds and stormcloack troops garrisoned on the forts/castels within the territory of each rebel feud.

Finally, out of my thoughts, asking it to the developers: would it be possible to link availability of AOR units (or bulding to recruit AOR units) to, say, an alliance or some other conditions ? in other words, I'm thinking that some AOR units for the factions could be available only if they keep the original side, need to expand on this of course

Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    The Empire is currently a big empty page for me, I certainly don't have any idea which way to make it in game - not that it should be decided either at this very moment - so all ideas conserning the Empire are the most welcome, and I'll read them all with pleasure!

Yeah, the Empire could work as a Papal state quite well, it is a potential option to have on the list. Maybe bit similar to the Dark Lord -faction in TATW, influencing the events of Skyrim indirectly by aiding loyal Jarls with troops etc?

On the other hand, Mhaedros, for example, has suggested making the Empire a horde faction similar to the Mongols/Timurids, but also proposed the Empire starting with a few small settlements, such as Helgen.

I'm sure there are many ways to represent the Empire.
    By horde faction do you mean they spawn in a bunch of stacks later on in the game and start beating everyone down? I think that could work out pretty well if they are only ai controlled or the player is doing well.

If you intend to make them playable though, they should maybe have some camps so they can recruit and assault the enemies on their own(this scenario reminds me of the Caesar in Gaul expansion for Rome 2).

I'm glad you asked about the Dwemer ruins, I have been secretly been planning all kind of features for them, but currently none have been written down. They are more than likely be in the map.

I'd very much like to see Dwemer Centurions and Spheres in the mod at some point, even thinking about them in the mod gives me goose bumps, but they are by no means easy to make.

If you would have any suggestions about the possible events, features, ancillaries, bonuses etc. concerning Dwemer ruins, feel free to share them. There must be plenty of material to work with!
    I don't have many ideas for Dwemer ruins. o3o Maybe a trade boost due to precious metals and relics. They must have left behind lots of stuff that would be valuable to a;; the factions.

Idea! Perhaps dwemer ruins, giant camps, draugr burrows, and other unique locations could provide units to appropriate factions. For example, Dwemer Ruins would give slowly replenishing automatons to more advanced factions(Legion, main Stormcloak and Imperial Skyrim Holds, Volikhar and Thalmor). Giant camps would provide mammoths and giants to more barbaric factions(Orc Holds, Forsworn).

One more point I wanted to bring up. There are some models of creatures and races made by modders for Skyrim. Do you think you could utilize some of those assets for this mod.