Thread: Skyrim: Total War [WIP]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Icon2 Skyrim: Total War [WIP]

Welcome Traveller,
    To follow Skyrim: Total War modification.

Brief Overview and Some Blah

Skyrim TW's name is quite self-evident, but for those who are not familiar with the theme, the mod is set in Skyrim, a location in the fictional universe created by Bethesda in the Elder Scrolls gameseries, and particularly the mod will focus on the era of the Stormcloak Rebellion, the civil war of Skyrim between the Imperials and Nords.

Adapting the universe of Skyrim into a Medieval II modification is a challenging task for a number of reasons will require various creative - and sometimes even perhaps courageous - design decisions. To bear in mind the limitations of the game in which the modification is based on is the fundamental first step of the development; this will mean that not everything can be made exactly as they were in the original game but this does not mean that we couldn't achieve something great and

Despite the various limitations we in the development have to face, there is a whole realm of possibilities that the Total War engine can bring to us that we could have only dreamed of Skyrim; This is the main reason for why I became enthusiastic to begin working on the modification in the first place. The vision of what Skyrim could potentially be without the restrictions of the engine we had in the original game is the main source of inspiration for this project. Among other things, Total War is the best in offering a grand scale warfare and the mod is indeed exploiting this great possibility: what used to be a band of soldiers in Skyrim will now be an army of many.

A Total Conversion Mod

Skyrim: Total War is a total conversion mod for Medieval II and will change great largely - if not nearly completely - the original game. It is no doubt an ambitious project requiring heavy modding.

There are some of the planned changes and features, but they are not limitated to:

~ New Artwork, including UIs, menus, event pictures, loading screens, character portraits, building icons and more.
    ~ New Unit Models and Textures
    ~ Completely new map with textures, settlement and resource isons
    ~ Full range of interesting scripts and events
    ~ New Music
    ~ And much more!

Factions and Loyalty System

Skyrim: Total War intents to include a number of factions into the mod. For those not familiar with the political situation in Skyrim, the land is divided between severals holds which will be presented as intepented factions. These Holds are forming the main factions of the campaign but beside them will stand a range of minor factions that also have ambitions of their own.

The Civil war between the Imperials and the Stormcloacks is raging over the land; Jarls, the leaders of the Holds, are divided supporting one side over another. I would like to introduce a new loyalty system which will determine the side the Holds will fight for. It might be possible to drive a Jarl into changing their allegiance to. Not only the leaders of a faction matter, also a strong enough support among the population is needed before the locals will side with your forces in the war.

Here is a WIP list of possible factions.

Please, bear in mind that the current list of factions is not yet completed. Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome! The Artwork presented is for demonstration purposes only and isn't finalized.

Main Factions: 1. Eastmarch; 2. The Pale; 3. The Rift; 4. Winterhold; 5. Haafingar; 6. Hjaalmarch; 7. The Reach; 8. Falkreath; 9. Whiterun

Other: 10. Forsworn; 11. Thalmor; 12. Bandits; 13. Volkihar Clan; (+ very likely undead factions)

Orc Strongholds: 14. Dushnikh Yal; 15. Narzulbur; 16. Mor Khazgur; 17. Largashbur

As has been said, the list of factions remains unfinished and changes can be made. Therefore, any suggestions of additions are warmly welcomed.

Campaign Modes

The different scenarios that I have intented to create for the mod will affect the beginning of the campaign.

Campaigns plans so far:

Balgruuf’s Dilemma (Sandbox): The name referce to the battle the Jarl of Whiterun was fighting in his mind when he was not yet choosen which side of the Civil War he would join. In this campaign mode none of the major Holds have chosen their allegiance to neither side and so their loyalty will be determined as the campaign progress on.

The Stormcloak Ascendance: In this campaign mode the northern holds of The Pale (Dawnstar) and Winterhold start under the command of Ulfric Stormcloak, but those holds are starting weaker than they would otherwise.

The Stormcloak Rebellion: In this campaign mode the The Pale and Winterhold start off independent as does everyone else.

Previews and Pictures

We don't currently have any inclusive previews, only some WIP (Work In Progress) pictures have been posted here by me to demonstrate how certain things have progressed on. To find more I'd recommend to browse over the pages of this thread because I cannot collect everything in the OP-

Here's a peek over the map in its current, unfinished form:

WIP Map

Recruitment & Support

Interested in helping by joining the team? Currently there would be a vacant place for:

Experienced Unit Maker: It wouldn't hurt to have an another pair of hands helping with this project. I am currently very busy myself and the time I have I'd like to spend on finishing the map before continuing to other jobs. It would help a lot if someone would be working on the units, and I believe it would make finishing this mod so much faster.

Who would be the most wanted:
    ▫ A member confident with modelling, texturing and rigging
    ▫ A member interested in TES lore and/or Skyrim (able to produce fitting material for the theme)
    ▫ A spontaneus member

As I mentioned, I am very busy with the RL and I would like to spend more time on the map. I'd definitely need a member who can produce quality material for the mod and can be spontaneus in his/her work, bring up ideas and generally be a full member of the team. The lore expertise might seem a bit off here, but since I am working on other stuff and cannot provide concepts it would be great if the member would have an idea on what is or isn't fitting for the mod.

If you are interested in applying for the job, PM me.

Moreover, anybody can show their support by wearing one of the signatures:

Signatures - PM me if you want to add your artwork there

Signature 1

Signature 2

Signature 3

by Mhaedros

Signature 4

Last edited by Finlander; September 23, 2016 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Faction list edited

• Son of MasterBigAb; • Father of St. PolycarpeKahvipannuRadboudMhaedrosGeMiNi][SaNDy
    FlinnUndyingNephalimKAM 2150
    Charerg