Thread: Unit Spacing Mod - Bad213Boy

Bad213Boy's Avatar Semisalis

Default Unit Spacing Mod - Bad213Boy

I've used the Close Combat Mod, but I'm not of a fan of the extra modifications that were added. I'm a simple man who want's simple things. I wanted something to help stop this god aweful head banging mosh pit when my units are engaged. I wanted my battles to look and feel more like Shogun 2. I also felt the Close Combat didn't modify the unit spacing enough.

Compatibility:
    All versions.

Changes:
    Every unit has their spacing increased by 0.6 vertically and horizontally. There is a variation column that allows units to move around within an invisible box to engage opposing models, these values set to 0.0. This will help keep your units more more disciplined. Units might start to bunch at the beginning of a charge, but they will eventually try and move back into formation. I really feel like my latest v4.0 is the best solution to help eliminate blobbing.

Unit Spacing Mod v2.0 = +0.5 Unit Spacing
    Unit Spacing Mod v3.0 = +1.0 Unit Spacing (Very Far Apart)
    Unit Spacing Mod v4.0 = +0.6 Unit Spacing, 0.0 Unit Variation, Dismounted Units and Loose Dismounted Units now have the same spacing and correspond to regular Units and Loose Formation Units. The ships have been unchanged. There's not much you can do with ships.

Instructions:

This Mod is a MOVIE format. Just place this MOD in to your game's data directory and play the game. You do not need to add this to a user.script.txt file. I like to rename each mod file and add "z_" to the front of it. This ensures the game loads those files last.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Rome II\data

Update Version 4.0
    I think I've got the right mix now. Definitely use v4.0. I've been experimenting these last couple of days trying to get it just right. I feel like I have a winner here. If you guys have any issues, just let me know.

Downloads:
    Unit Spacing Mod v2.0
    Unit Spacing Mod v3.0
    Unit Spacing Mod v4.0
    Last edited by Bad213Boy; February 04, 2014 at 01:33 PM.

Default Re: Unit Spacing Mod - Bad213Boy

I made an update. CA put a very small effort in fixing this. It's a pour mans job, but someone needs to do it.

Demokritos's Avatar Domesticus

So your mod will make a better job of removing the ridiculous "head banging mosh pit" from our R2 battles than CC?

Will try this one!
    GNOTHI SEAUTON (Know Thyself) - precept inscribed in the forecourt of the Temple of Apollo at Delphi, Greece
    MEDEN AGAN (Nothing To Excess) - another precept inscribed in the aforementioned place

Well I definitely need more tweaking. I found something that might help once I finalize this.

Hey im new at twcenter, but i wanna say this mod is great, it fixxed my unit stuttering, not for big battle with more than 20000 units but its running very smoothly, i recomend it for those who are having problems.

This mod helped a lot and removed the majority of annoying blobbing for me. To be honest even the phalanx formation seemed to look better. Cheers.
    Let those who stand in the way of the true Clan from reaching it's goal, the Star League reborn, flee. For the Falcon shall swoop down upon it's prey and annihilate them.

I added a version 3.0. I really pushed it with the latest one. I added another .5 on top of the previous .5 from my version 2.0 mod. Let me know what you guys think.

I just realized v2.0 wasn't working properly because it was saved as a Mod format. So if you weren't using the Mod Manager, then you may not have realized it was saved under Mod format. So I switched back to a Movie format. I also made some more changes to v2.0. I added spacing for unmounted units now and all artillery units are not spread out. So basically, all the units are evenly spread out now. There is a variation distance that allows each model to move X distance to engage an enemy. I left this column unchanged. This will help keep your units from bunching up by not allowing then to move out of their designated invisible box.

I think I have the final version of this mod. I've been spending a lot of time trying to find the right feel without putting too much separation between models. I would like the units to be a little more tighter, let me know, I'll whip one up real quick.

Sorry to post on such an old thread, but is this mod still active? It seems to be crashing the game now that it's the Emperor Edition (unless I installed it incorrectly, which is always a possibility).

The mod doesn't work anymore. It needs to updated, and I highly doubt it will be.

Damn, I was afraid of that. That's too bad; I've been looking for a mod that solves the "blobbing" issue in combat, making it more like Shogun 2. Oh well, thanks for letting me know.

hi, I installed it with the imperial edition !!! working fine, but it needs to be updated? It seems to me that little animation during combat