Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: {DIK} Sreenshots

Aneirin's Avatar of flowing verse

Default Re: {DIK} Sreenshots

On the second screeny, did you arrange it by change or was it planned in some way?
    Looks really cool

One more question, all those poor fallen pikemen, who has killed them? I cannot see any Napolitanian arquebusiers next to your units?
    Proud son of Aikanár and brother of Iskar

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

It was a chance capture. I ordered a unit of pikemen to the right flank and since the officers are slower than the rest of the unit for some reason they passed by the main line all by themselves.

There were some Heavy Balestramen left and they took a small but inevitable toll on my tightly packed formations.
    For a proper battle I would probably not let these pike/arquebuse rectangles run around on their own. Some Archers or Crossbowmen for supportive fire to suppress enemy archers would be necessary.

Ah I see.

Well, your rectangles are very vulnerable to artillery. But the emeny army had none in this battle, am I right?

Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, and if they had had any I would have taken care of that early on with my serpentines, of which my armies usually carry around 4 to 6 regiments.

Well, that definitely needs to be called heavy fire power
    But how did you compensate the lack of movementpoints?

Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes not at all. A slow but unstoppable advance is better than none

But I use merc galleys whenever I go along a coast. That greatly speeds up transportation.

That's true!
    Yes I would solve it in the same way. So at every turn end do you land the artillery to join your troops?
    No I guess, it wouldn't make any sense

Hmm.. it will be a great pleasure to find a way to counter your tactic

Moderator Emeritus

In fact I had the most casualties against massed horse archers (not so much against mounted crossbows as their rof is rather low). They don't run into my pikes, keep shooting my arty crews and are hard to hit for my crossbows when in cantabrian circle.

Moderator Emeritus

Sorry for the double post.

I have now finished the invasion of Tunisia with my HRE campaign and sorted, cut and converted the screenies I made. There are 54 of them and now I am too tired to start posting them, so here are three unrelated screenshots I came across while playing that make for some cool scenes.

Trooping the Colours in Sassari:

These guys make Tennyson's Light Brigade look like cowards:

And finally, the horrors of war. I myself wouldn't want to be a real soldier in the battles I fought virtually.

I'll start with the first episode of the Tunisian Campaign tomorrow. =)
    Last edited by Iskar; March 24, 2015 at 05:59 PM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Looking forward to it!!!

JMJ -

Cool stuff.

YBIC
    Mike

Moderator Emeritus

The Tunisian Campaign
    Episode 1 - Si vis pacem, para bellum!

It has been twenty years now since I first left our family's estate near Trient in the entourage of the young prince-bishop Maximilian and joined the Emperor's forces as a scribe in Italy. Ever since then I have seen Lombardy and the Romagna fall to our troops, seen the power of the Popes crumble and the mighty kingdom of Naples humbled. After ten years of war all of southern and central Italy was under Imperial control, with but an uneasy peace prevailing at the border to Spanish held Calabria and Sicily. I had exchanged my dusty study in Bologna for the orange tree dotted gardens and shady ambulatories of Naples, compiling the reports of our conquest.

The most notable change, despite all the military efforts, was probably the election of a new pope, though. The last pretender supported by the Papal States before their demise, an upstart Umbrian noble called Aczo I, had died, holed up in his last fortress near Orvieto. But Christianity could not remain without guidance and there was one who was more than predestined to restore the holiness of the office - our bishop Maximilian. Spreading the word of Christ wherever he went, banishing heresy with every breath, he was the epitome of blessedness. Still in the field, preaching to convert the heretics of Apulia back to the true faith, he was proclaimed pope - and evil fled wherever he trod. When finally the last king of Naples died in the siege of Otranto, we immediately began preparations to also put an end to the Ottoman threat. For while we had taken Sarajevo and our faithful Hungarian allies were guarding the eastern marches the Ottoman presence in Tunisia still threatened the trade routes and might even have enabled them to launch an invasion of Italy.

Hence Archduke Franz, called The Good for his just and merciful rule, commissioned the construction of a large fleet and the levy of five major armies to conquer Tunisia and restore the diocese of Carthage. He himself would lead one of the armies, embarking from Salerno, and the other four would depart from Roma, Napoli and the Tuscan coast. The Roman army was led by Heinrich the Lazy, despite his name one of the Empire's greatest generals and proud member of the Knights of St. John.
    Another notable leader was Ruprecht von Freiburg, who had singlehandedly conquered Corsica, Elba and Piombino with local mercenaries. Fittingly he led the Tuscan forces.

To support the military forces a multitude of agents was recruited, too. Diplomats, merchants, spies and clerics such as myself were called together and joined the troops for embarkation. As an associate of the new pope I had to put aside my quill, too, and put on a preacher's robes. Since I was already staying in Napoli I travelled with the local army while the rest of the clergy embarked together with the Pope on the coast of the Basilicata.

Spies sent ahead reported that while Annaba was teeming with Ottoman troops, Tunis was not so heavily guarded. The Ottomans had not even cared to occupy the remaining corsair fortresses in the region, which would enable us to gain a quick foothold. Of course it was crucial to take and secure Tunis and its surroundings as quickly as possible to create a bridgehead and ensure supply for the army.

The fleet set sail and finally we reached the shores of Tunisia. A total of 5500 pikemen, 3600 crossbowmen, 1400 gunners and arquebusiers, 1600 artillery men with 64 cannons and 625 men cavalry was ready to launch the invasion.
    While the main force with three armies, the Archduke and the Pope landed in the north to lay siege to Tunis, two ships under the command of Heinrich the Lazy broke off to assail Quairawan and secure our southern flank, should the Ottomans try to attack us via Al-Kaf.

The Ottomans obviously had rather incompetent reconnaissance, for they were quite unprepared for our assault. The Archduke immediately laid siege to Tunis while Ruprecht von Freiburg led two armies south- and westward to secure the bridges to Annaba and Al-Kaf.

To our surprise the Ottoman leaders decided to completely ignore the northern route and sent all their troops to take the bridge of Al-Kaf. Thus it was unfortunately closed to us and even worse - the strong Ottoman forces there threatened to drive a wedge between the Archduke's and Heinrich the Lazy's armies. The discussions in the commander's tent that night where I served as scribe once again were as heated as the sand beneath our feet. The climate was against us, but it seemed we would not be able to avoid a large scale field battle, for we had to buy the Archduke time to wear down the troops in Tunis that were too numerous to be overwhelmed by a direct assault. In the end it was decided to abandon the northern bridge and move as many troops towards Al-Kaf as possible. All hopes now rested on the military genius of Heinrich the Lazy and the ingenuity of Ruprecht von Freiburg. If they failed the Archduke would be smashed between the still large garrison of Tunis and the advancing Ottoman armies.

Heinrich Scherer - Imperial Scribe and Historian
    Tunis, February 6, 1560 AD

PS: The Formatting seems to be a bit unstable. So sorry if the images and text look weirdly arranged on some screens. EDIT: I dabbled a bit with the fieldset command and it might look better now.
    Last edited by Iskar; March 25, 2015 at 01:05 PM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

That's just awesome!

But you already know, that I like your stories

It's a great pleasure to see our hard work used to write such a nice story.
    That is completion and very satisfying.

Cheers Neadal

Moderator Emeritus

The Tunisian Campaign
    Episode 2 - A Clash of Cultures

Yet, again the Ottoman commanders did the unexpected. The strategic advantage of the mobile turkish forces over our slow artillery trains now became apparent. One Ottoman army broke off to the south, circumventing Heinrich the Lazy's troops towards Qairawan and threatening to relief its besieged garrison. Meanwhile a part of the troops retreated to Al-Kaf and the boldest Ottoman general held the position beyond the bridge to impede our advance.

Our commanders decided not to join in the cat-and-mouse-game the Ottoman leaders were obviously playing with us. Instead a more straightforward tactic was applied. While Ruprecht marched back to block the northern bridge he sent his second Tuscan army to keep the remaining Ottoman general's force at bay. Thus Heinrich the Lazy could cross the bridge of Al-Kaf unmolested and took the undergarrisoned town by surprise. Then Ruprecht's second force occupied the bridge, cutting off the Ottoman general's retreat.

I was sent to inform the forces besieging Qairawan to bring the siege to a quick end before the relief force would arrive. After a short and brutal bombardment the town was stormed by Landsknechts who made short work of the garrison, despite taking some losses.

Shortly after we had taken Qairawan a messenger arrived from the north, telling us that the garrison of Tunis had finally tried a sortie. However, the Achduke had been expecting such an attempt to break through his lines and answered the opening of the gates by opening fire. Little remained of the garrison after the first volley and shortly after Tunis surrendered to him. This message was a great relief as now we had a bridgehead to rely on and no longer an enemy army in our back.

The situation now seemed to be reasonably stable. We held Tunis, Al-Kaf and Qairawan as well as the surrounding forts and the two bridges. But, for the third time the Ottoman commanders surprised us. Instead of charging our defenses they turned south, marching their troops through the desert to get behind our lines and advance on Qairawan yet again. We had barely begun to mobilise our cumbersome artillery trains when the Ottomans made their move, but the blow did not fall at Qairawan. Instead all armies now turned north towards Tunis and its surrounding fortresses while the other half of the Ottoman military now advanced on the northern road from Annaba. We were in imminent danger of getting enclosed by a large scale pincer movement that would have succeeded, had it not been for Ruprecht von Freiburg.

Making a daring move he placed his pikes in the rear so as to give his artillery free sight on the enemy. And his gunners did not disappoint him. The massive battery of 16 guns turned the Ottoman charge into a disorganised rout.

With the northern flank now safe the Archduke was able to move his troops to the south to halt the advance of the southern Ottoman forces. Ruprecht made a rochade with his second Tuscan army, that now held the less threatened northern bridge, and moved his own troops southward, too, in order to block the passageway in the southern desert. With the road near the fort of Al-Kaf blocked the Ottoman force suddenly turned eastward, attacking the fort guarding the road to Tunis. On his way to relieve the fort's garrison the Archduke received the message that after long illness his father had died peacefully in his residence in Vienna. Hastily crowned Emperor he finally reached the besieged fortress and engaged the Ottoman army in battle.

Tunis, February 7, 1560 AD
    Last edited by Iskar; March 26, 2015 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Forgot Heinrich's signature...

Moderator Emeritus

The Tunisian Campaign
    Episode 3 - The Tortoise and the Hare

In the blazing heat of the Tunisian midday sun the two armies approached each other. Aware of the disadvantage of his troops in this uncommon environment the Emperor deployed his men rather defensively, relying on his artillery to force the enemy into a charge. The guns were thus placed in front, protected by pikemen, while the crossbowmen occupied an elevated position behind the main line. The flanks were guarded by more pikes and two regiments of the accomplished Imperial Life Guard Cavalry.

The Ottoman commander tried to use the terrain to shield his troops from the imperial cannons, but managed only to get his feared Cebelü and Akinji behind a little hill. The rest of his forces were two numerous and spread out to find any effective cover. As the Ottomans came into range, the Emperor personally ordered the gun crews to open fire.

Probably in hope of distracting some of the devastating gunfire the Ottoman commander sent forth his Akinji. In fact these ferocious horse archers were among the few troops able to deal considerable damage to an imperial line of pikes, but this time they were greeted by a hail of bolts and soon fled the field in disorder.

No longer willing or able to endure the continued bombardment the Ottomans finally advanced their skirmishers and light cavalry in an attempt to break up the imperial ranks and provide the slow, heavy Ottoman halberdiers a breach to charge in. However, as the Cebelü attempted to attack the flanks and draw the imperial forces apart, they met their nemesis. Their gothic armours blazing in the sun the Imperial Life Guard routed the Ottoman assaults, but would not let themselves be lured into a pursuit of the much faster Turkish cavalry, instead returning immediately to the army to fend of the next half-hearted assault.

Bereft of any support the halberdiers and javelineers were now mauled by artillery and crossbowmen. When the last Cebelü spurred his horse and vanished into the desert the Ottoman army had lost more than 2800 of its 3100 men while the Emperor's men did not count more than 60 losses.

While the Emperor had been pursuin the northern Ottoman forces to relieve the fort, Ruprecht von Freiburg's position was in danger of deteriorating considerably. A large Ottoman army and troops marching forth from Annaba through the southern desert had enclosed him and might even completely encircle his men with more and more troops arriving from the north-west. Ruprecht had no inclination to abandon the position that the Emperor himself had commanded him to defend and decided to confront the enemies' main force, although he was outnumbered by almost 1000 men. When the two armies approached each other the Ottoman commander ordered his men to quickly charge up the hill so that Ruprecht would not be able to lock the Ottoman troops in the steep valley below.

But Ruprecht had no such intention anyway. Instead, as soon as they poked their heads over the hill crest the Ottomans were greeted by heavy cannon fire. Now condemned to charge they advanced under the Imperial bombardment.

Hoping to buy their infantry time the Cebelü charged straight at the cannons, although these were protected by pikemen and handgunners.

However, the handguns displayed their full devastating effect on this short range. Together with the brave artillery crews and backed by the disciplined pikemen they sent the Cebelü running, just in time to fire a final volley into the mass of shaken infantrymen. As finally the fleeing riders sped through the battered ranks of the halberdiers the moral of the Ottoman forces broke and the entire host was routed or captured. Only a fifth of the original army made it back to Annaba in a desperate flight through the desert.

Now the way through the southern desert was free and quite contrary to his soubriquet Heinrich the Lazy immediately mobilised his troops in Al-Kaf to lay siege to the last Ottoman fortress barring the road to Annaba. In the meantime the Emperor embarked his forces near Tunis and assailed Annaba from the sea, preventing the Ottoman forces there from marching south to relief the fort, lest they wanted to leave Annaba undefended. I had rejoined the Pope's entourage and we travelled with him to convert the populace in and around Annaba to the one true faith so they would welcome the Emperor as a liberator and not as a mere conqueror.

When the fortress finally surrendered Heinrich the Lazy and the Emperor laid siege to the city, but were unable to fully encircle it as several large Ottoman armies had retreated to its immediate vicinity. However, the Ottomans thus left their roads and the town of Qusantinah more or less undefended. Ruprecht von Freiburg seized the opportunity and marched his troops past Annaba. Upon reaching Qusantinah he did not tarry long but had his artillery and pikemen bombard and storm the city without further delay. The Ottoman heir ruling the town was unable to set up any considerable resistance and soon met an untimely end.

At Annaba the Ottoman commanders were biding their time, hoping to avoid another open field battle against the imperial artillery and instead to force the Emperor and Heinrich into a lossy fight in the streets of Annaba where the Turkish troops would have the advantage of knowing the terrain much better than their opponents. A bloody fight from house to house seemed inevitable, had it not been for one particular weakness. All of the seasoned command staff of the Ottoman army was locked up in the city together with Sultan Kitbugha, the armies in the field being led only by relatively young officers - none of which had any experience in fighting a battle at night.
    As dusk fell Heinrich and the Emperor seemingly had their camps prepare for the night, but as soon as the camps on the other side of the city had gone quiet they marched their troops to the walls. When the Ottoman officers in the field were awoken by the thunder of the Emperor's cannons breaching the walls it was already too late. Before they had mobilised their men the Sultan lay dead and the Imperial eagle waved above the gates of Annaba - and thus over all of Tunisia.

Tunis, February 9, 1560 AD

JMJ -

Very cool Iskar.

Quick question; what is the make up of those armies? I noticed that there are a lot of units on the field.

Just curious, I enjoy your stories.

YBIC
    Mike

Once more an epic report!!
    I love your kind of telling the incidents during your campaign and your eye for epic moments

I have do add a question as well
    Which difficulty level do or did you played your campaign?
    Because the KI seems not to stupid..

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks. I'm glad you liked it =)

@mjsanta: My standard full stack army usually fields six units of artillery, six units of pikemen, six units of crossbowmen and 2 units of either cavalry or gunners, or a general and one of the former. Ruprecht's army in that case was a bit smaller, fielding only four units of crossbowmen, five units of pikemen, no cavalry and just one unit of gunners.
    The Ottomans fielded basically one third light cavalry, one third javelineers and one third halberdiers, sometimes interspersed with a bit of artillery or corsairs.

@Neadal: I always play on Medium/Medium, but in fact, I was sometimes surprised, too, about the moves the AI was capable of. I guess it is an effect of that AI mod of Germanicus you built in.
    Last edited by Iskar; April 08, 2015 at 05:14 AM.

Finaly, we have a smarter AI, at least a little bit

i tried to remake ambassador's dress....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast